Start by marking “Happy for You (Love & Family #3)” as Want to Read:
Happy for You (Love & Family #3)

Happy for You

(Love and Family #3)

Mort wants his de facto family back. . . .
He knows he doesn’t deserve them. Not yet, anyway. Not without making up for leaving them in their time of need.
But it’s not easy to make amends. Mort must show how much he wants the Rochester family back in his life. When his best friend’s younger brother, Felix, has his license suspended, Mort jumps at the chance to play chauffe
Published September 10th 2019 by Anyta Sunday

To ask other readers questions about Happy for You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Happy for You

Judith

Third book in the series but can be read on it's own.

Classic Anyta Sunday slow burn romance with the emphasis on family and second chances.

Felix just wants to make people happy from his siblings to his mother for whom he made one of the most amazing sacrifices ever.He's been in love with his brother's best friend for years and couldn't understand why Mort left them all a year ago.But now Mort's back and thankfully he finds out very early on the reason Mort left.It's very obvious there's a strong pull between them but Fown.
Classic
☆ Todd
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it

This story was classic Anyta Sunday, with the slow burn turned up to about 15, tossing out a full spectrum of emotions.

There were a few different reasons for the drama in this book.

First, Mort returned to town after a year, leaving at nearly the very moment that the Rochester family could've used his support the most; however, while trying to gain forgiveness for his absence, the one person who knew that Mort held zero blame for his sudden departure remained quiet. Très frustrating, guys.

There were a few different reasons for the drama in this book.

Second, Felix had been in love with Mort since they were kids, while Mort had been head over heels for Felix's older brother, Roch. But Roch was getting married to "a lovely young woman", so when Mort and Felix's flirtatious interactions were bumped up a notch, of course Felix fought with feelings of being the "consolation prize" brother. The second choice.
On our way home, he doesn’t ask why I disappeared or why I’m acting skittish.

I don’t tell him it’s unbearable being in love with him.

But over time, as they began opening up more to one another, Felix became cautiously optimistic, and others began to notice.
“Now I understand why you are the way you are around Mort.”

“The way I am around Mort?”

“Like he cut out your heart and holds it ransom, and you want it back.”

“No, Tiff, that’s not right.”

“It’s not?”

“I don’t want mine back. I want his.”

This book wasn't completely Romance Central on quite the same level as Anyta's beloved "Rock", but I did find myself really enjoying the times when Mort and Felix let their true feelings see the light of day.
“How can you tell they like you if they aren’t crazy stalkers?”

Mort chuckles and side-eyes me. “Extended eye contact. It’s a look. You learn to recognize it.”

“Show me.”

“I am.”

“I can’t tell. You look at me like that all the time.”

“This is true.”
He returns his focus on the road.
Gah, folks, just... GAH!!! Am I right?

The story also wasn't jam packed with snark and banter (or tons of steam), but Mort and Felix definitely kept me constantly engaged and laughing with their often-ridiculous antics.
“So once you’ve navigated through these dozen sheep, we’ll -- ”

“Dozen? There are fifty, at least. And when we retell this story, there’ll be a hundred.”

“Excuse me. Once we navigate through forty million sheep, we’ll -- ”

“Better. We’ll head to the best place on Earth.”
Felix sucks on his lips. I smirk at him. “Not my bed, Felix.”

“Holy crap. Stop reading my depraved mind.”

One aspect of the story that I particularly liked was how, even though there was plenty of internal monologue, it was balanced extremely well with *actual* dialogue, which is by far my preference. Stories with MC's that live primarily in their own heads, rarely speaking their mind, well, those books make me pretty bonkers, and real damn fast.

Although this wasn't the most angst-ridden or steamiest book, it felt a bit nostalgic for me, especially during the Pax Polo cameo scenes (from Anyta's "Shrewd Angel" story). Pax was such a fun character, so getting to visit with him again was great.

The story kept me anxiously awaiting what would happen next from start to finish, smiling for most of the ride, so I'd rate this one at around 4 stars and recommend it.

-----------------------------------------------

My ARC copy of the book was provided by the author in exchange for a fair, unbiased review.

See All My Latest Reads (Review Quick-Links)

-----------------------------------------------
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
I am crushed that I didn't like Happy for You, especially since I'm gaga for the other two books in this series, but I struggled with it all the way through.

I'm a huge Anyta Sunday fan, and I've even beta-read books for her in the past. However, that doesn't mean that I've had a smooth road with her writing. I've 1 and 2-starred books from her, and what they all have in common in a sense of missing fundamental pieces of the story.

The best way to describe my feelings about this book is that I felt like
Cadiva
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love the way Anyta Sunday can take a slow burn romance and have the reader absolutely wrapped in the narrative as two people who everyone can see clearly are perfect for each other stumble their way into happiness.

This one gives us Mort's story, last seen in the festive anthology entry Shrewd Angel where he was a secondary character helping out rock star Pax Polo and it's a delicious mix of banter and witty dialogue coupled with intense yearning and lots of pining.

It's a cla
Bev
Sep 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, mm
I love me a good old unrequited love story and this one had it in spades, Mort having been in love with Roch (Felix's older brother) whilst Felix had loved Mort for years.

Happy for You is a sweet, slow burn romance steeped in family, friendship and forgiveness though really I don't think Mort needed forgiving. Guess I'm not a fan of a certain female then who I think got off way too lightly! The relationship that Felix had with his sisters was so sweet, though at times I wanted Felix
Snjez
Sep 14, 2019 marked it as dnf
dnf @ 45%

In theory, this book has a lot of things I love, but the way it was written isn't working for me. I feel like I'm missing some vital information about the characters and their relations, which in return makes me feel completely disconnected from the story and the characters. Not to mention that too often they act weird.

Too bad, because I loved the previous book and was really looking forward to reading this one. I'll just pretend this never happened and wait for
Ariana
Sep 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbtq, ku
I really loved book 2 Made for You in this series. For some reason though ‘Happy for You’ didn’t strike the same chord.

And I think the reason is that imo quite a lot of the interactions between various people in this book often felt strange or a little bit off.

I think my main niggle here are the issues surrounding Mort leaving the Rochester family.

a.) The person who is behind this simply doesn’t provide me with any valid reason why it happened. I simply didn’t understand it – d
Susan
Sep 13, 2019 marked it as dnf
DNF at 28%

This is one confusing book.
I know Anyta Sunday can write great books, and I loved the previous book in this series. But here I felt like I was being dumped in the middle of a story and that didn't get better the more I read.

The way these people interacted with each other was just weird. It was like I was at a party where everyone knew each other, shared a history together, and I didn't know anyone and wasn't included.
Ele
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really liked this! It was a typical Anyta Sunday book but at the same time it kinda…wasn’t, if that makes any sense.

I liked the always present, but never overwhelming, angst that stemmed from Mort’s leaving his chosen family during the hardest time with seemingly no explanation a year ago.

What made it different than most of her work is that the characters are much less oblivious here. On the contrary, Felix is very open about his feelings, it’s common knowledge that he’s been crushing very h
.Lili.
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I so enjoyed Happy For You by Anyta Sunday. There were several aspects of the storytelling that just worked for me, and will also work for all Anyta fans. I won't rehash the premise as the blurb is ↑

Highlights:

-Dual POVs. And in this story, we needed to get both perspectives.

-Thank you to the author for not dragging out the reveal of the "big mystery" that caused Mort to leave their lives suddenly. It drives me nuts when authors do this. We find out early on, and it sets up the story perfectly/>
Rose
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
TW: homophobia, mentions of major surgery, and descriptive sex scenes

So… y’all know how much I love a good Anyta Sunday romance - I’m normally shouting about them from the rooftops but, I’ll be honest, this one really didn’t do anything for me.

I spent most of the day and a half of intermittent reading that it took to finish this book confused and thinking that I was missing huge and really important parts of the story. Reading it genuinely made me feel like I was the third f
Ky
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Slow burn! I love this theme and Anyta Sunday is one of the authors that manages to do it right!

This time we have a kind of forbidden romance. Mort is Felix's older brother's (Roch) best friend and on top of that Mort and Roch maybe kind of have a history that goes beyond friendship - it doesn't reach relationship though - and Mort used to have feelings for him. Complicated and awkward? Just a little bit....

Growing up Mort was an honorary member of the Rochester family, always
Sanaa
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5 stars.

I love Anyta Sunday and I loved this book. I wish I read it slower. My first 5 stars in months and I couldn't be happier.

Full review soon!
Virginia Cavanillas
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: beta, lgtb, arc
*sighs*

Ok, let's go. I'm not reviewing much these days, I know, and probably I won't do any justice to this one, but I needed to talk a bit about Felix and Mort‘s story, at least a few words.
Even if my favorite in this series is still book two (Made for You), this one meant a lot to me. A lot. And I don't know why, not really...

Could i
Sue~Always Reading~
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was ok

This was definitely disappointing. I liked the idea of the slow burn and the angst of Felix being in love with his brothers best friend, Mort. Mort who pined after Felix’s brother Roch. The story is a lot more than just about Felix and Mort, the entire Rochester family is included in the story and I really enjoyed Felix’s little sisters April & May. I did not like Dolores, Felix’s mother who is battling depression after going through a kidney transplant. Mort was t
Jess Gabriel
I did enjoy this one (it's Anyta Sunday, so some level of enjoyment for me is almost guaranteed!), but not as much as I'd hoped. I felt like something didn't quite fit. The plot surrounds Mort's leaving and now trying to earn forgiveness for his absence. When we find out the reason, it isn't revealed to everyone, so he spends the book trying to atone for something that wasn't his fault while the supporting characters that knew the reason let him flounder. It was frustrating.

I loved M
Bev
4.25 stars from me. Yes, I can understand why some readers felt that they were coming into this story half-cocked. It did seem as though there was a load of back-story that we, as readers, had been left out of BUT I ploughed on regardless, and was rewarded with another lovely slow-burn romance from the Queen of Slow-Burn stories herself. 😁

I adored Felix, was quite taken with Mort [but not his name though 😕], thought Roch [which I would've actually pronounced as Roch, soft ch, not hard..
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
The second book in this serious, Made for You, has a place on my Top Reads of 2019 shelf. As you can imagine, I was très excited to read Felix and Mort's story. But sadly, Happy for You didn't make me happy.

I felt like I was thrown into the middle of a story. The narrative was slightly jumpy, and too many characters were introduced at once.

When we discover WHY Mort left, I was immediately angry at Felix and Roch's mother, who, in my opinion, never redeemed herself. Furthermore, I didn't think her beh
Kelsie
Aug 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
4.5 Stars

Another winner from Anyta. I don’t think I’ve ever read anything by her I didn’t like so I’m not surprised at all.

I was totally charmed by Felix’s oblivious babbling and Mort’s shameless flirting. The secondary characters, of which there were plenty, were all developed enough to add to the story instead of distracting.

It was slow burn, but not so slow that you want to pull your hair out lol. I think it helps that their attraction is pretty much acknowledged the whole book instead
Truuss / Loveislovereview
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, m-m
Felix and Mort

Indescribable to express what this read did to me. There aren’t enough words to describe this awesomeness. It reached every corner of my emotions.
My heart, it shattered, it jumped, it accelerated, it broke and melted.
I will keep my review short, because of the awesomeness I can’t express!

It’s all about friendship, family, forgiveness, unanswered love, withheld love. This all wrapped in golden silk aka Anyta Sunday writing style, and you got an indelible st
Mel
Sep 01, 2019 rated it liked it
2,5 stars

Okay, so don't get me wrong, this was very cute and I liked it. I would honestly be hard-pressed not to at least somewhat enjoy an Anyta Sunday story.
However, I found myself struggling to connect with the characters and relationship in this one. I think maybe it had something to do with the fact that Mort and Felix already had an established friendship - they also both already had feelings for each other - so we didn't really get to see the relationship bloom in the same way. And t
iam
Aug 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbtqia, plus-mini-me, arc
I'm... kinda confused about this one.

Content warnings include: sex on-page, mentions of organ transplant.

Was is cute? Yeah, sure. I liked the big family and how the siblings clearly cared deeply for each other and Mort.
But for pretty much the entire book I wasn't sure what was going on. Even now that I finished it I'm unsure about why exactly Mort left, what the issue with the mother was, how the dancing fit in with everything, who had to ask who for/>
Mare SLiTsReaD Reviews
Happy Release Day Anyta!!!!!

Guys this book grabs you in all the right places.
She has a certain way of drawing out all that UST that I crave in most of my books.
Def a re-read.
Wonderful!!!!

So Anyta and so what I needed to get me back into my reading groove.

See what I did there???

Proper review to come.

Mare~Slitsread
Lelyana
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, mm, 2019

Running away from the past and the love of your life is never easy.
So when Mort came back suddenly into Felix's life,it's hard not to get angry at him. Forgiving Mort also not as easy.
But Mort had his own reason for leaving, and wow what a reason! He didn't need it at all. And Mort's actually didn't need any forgiveness from Felix and his family. If only Felix knew from the beginning!

Happy for You is Anyta's bittersweet romance that I crave from her. I felt what Mort and
Alicia
Aug 29, 2019 rated it liked it
I'm not sure how to review this book. I enjoyed it, and I rooted for the protagonists, but I found some of the plot less than convincing—and I sometimes had a hard time keeping track of the numerous secondary characters. (view spoiler) I hadn't read any ea ...more
French_fry
Sep 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Meh. This wasn't my favourite Anyta Sunday. The kids were cute, the main characters were fine, the plot was less engaging than I would have liked and the brother situation was problematic to me. It's fine, it's just not great. I also found Felix to be nonsensical in most scenes. I guess it was supposed to be goofily endearing but it felt contrived to me.
Christina Wade - BFD Book Blog
I liked book one in this series a lot and I absolutely loved book two…this one confused me at times and left me questioning parts of book two as well.

There are things I liked about this book so I’m going to list those first because my list of issues is going to make this review sound negative. I do like Felix and Mort together when there are no outside forces getting in the way. Mort does convince me his feelings are 100 percent real for Felix and they share several heart meltingly s
Jenny
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
I am a big fan of Anyta Sunday and she has written one of my favorite books, but this one had me a bit confused and wondering if I was missing something.

Mort and Felix were solid characters and I enjoyed them (Felix mostly) and we get that Felix has been in love with Mort, his older brother's best friend, for years, but we are missing when exactly Mort started seeing Felix as anything other than his best friend's brother who pretty much idolized him. That's where there is a big chunk
Claudia
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
Yeah, that was a disappointment after Made for you. We're tossed into an ongoing situation without the proper feedback. This didn't deserve the slowburn. One of the MCs was aware of the other's feelings. That made the story just slow. And boring and at the end more awkward than happy.
I added an extra star because the quotes people have been sharing are really awesome in the context, it's a pity everything else falls flat.
jazmin
Sep 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
ah, anyta sunday knows how to make me smile through a whole book. there was some tears too, but in a good way.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Hey guys,

A bit about me: I'm a big, BIG fan of slow-burn romances. I love to read and write stories with characters who slowly fall in love.

Some of my favorite tropes to read and write are: Enemies to Lovers, Friends to Lovers, Clueless Guys, Bisexual, Pansexual, Demisexual, Oblivious MCs, Everyone (Else) Can See It, Slow Burn, Love Has No Boundaries.

I write a v

Love and Family (3 books)
  • Taboo for You (Love and Family, #1)
  • Made for You (Love and Family, #2)