Start by marking “First Impressions (Auckland Med., #1)” as Want to Read:
First Impressions (Auckland Med., #1)

First Impressions

(Auckland Med. #1)

Michael:

Two years ago I made a mistake—a big one. Then I added a couple more just for good measure. I screwed up my life, but I survived. Now I have the opportunity for a fresh start. Two years in NZ. Away from the LA gossip, a chance to breathe, to rebuild my life. But I’m taking my new set of rules with me.

I don’t do relationships.

I don’t do commitment.

I don’t do whi
Kindle Edition, 2nd edition, 282 pages
Published November 1st 2019 by Dreamspinner Press (first published January 25th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about First Impressions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about First Impressions

Start your review of First Impressions (Auckland Med., #1)
Cadiva
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review to come.

ETA: This is a debut novel from Jay Hogan with a Kiwi feel to it which is subtle but definitely plays a part in the narrative.

It's a classic enemies to lovers with a bit of a suspense/crime drama element on which the quite lovely (if somewhat dramatic) relationship is sat upon.

The pacing is good (I had an ARC so there were edits which I believe are to be ironed out in the final copy) and there are some time jumps which are managed well and clear
Sheri
*sigh*
I wanted to love this much more than I did.
I can't ignore the fact it took me so long to finish...sometimes RL is the cause for this but not in this case. I just wasn't...engaged.
As you might imagine, their first impression isn't the best. I always love it when an author flips my disgust around and Hogan did redeem their rocky start.
I love a man in uniform and was instantly drawn to Josh.
But...I just couldn't quite connect to him or Michael.
And I was irritated with inconsis
Christelle
Auckland Med is an MM romance series with standalone stories. I can attest to that as I read book#2 first, LOL. As book#2 was a hit for me, I decided to give it a go with this one and once again, another hit with this kind of enemy-to-lover, opposite attract MM hot and sexy romance.

Josh is a single dad of an 11-year-old girl, has bigoted parents but a great bond with his sister and is a K9 police officer. He has a great sense of responsibility and wants a serious loving relationship.
CrabbyPatty
I read the second book in this series first, and started this one with some trepedition hoping it was not as bloated and melodramatic as Crossing the Touchline. Not to worry ... the sizzling relationship between Josh (self-described as the "boring, judgmental, vanilla, arrogant delight you see before you") and Michael, the charasmatic doctor Josh first meets in a bathhouse in flagrante delicto makes for a great read.

The author continually plays on the perceptions each man has of the other. Josh, solid single fa
Aki | nose buried in books | ❤️ |
What an awesome reading!
It's just my favourite kind of story, mystery/suspense but mainly romance.
Amazing characters, quite realistic (hot cop + hot doc, what else?), the plot well structured and well developed, and I liked the writing style. And, yes, a lot of steam, but also some sweetness. (and the epilogue, I loved it!)
I could have easily read another hundred pages.
This book is totally my cup of tea, so 5 full stars!
I really recommend it!
I think it's the author's debut n
Truuss / Loveislovereview
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, m-m
4.5 stars Michael and Josh, respectively the doctor and the cop.

They meet at a crime scene, Michael’s lower member in someone’s mouth.
Disgust is the word Josh feels for Michael, and it’s the other way around too.
They started in a bad way, they don’t like each other. But their sexual attraction is stronger than their aversion.
Josh has bad experiences with guys like Michael, as a single dad his daughter is his first priority. Michael has reasons for his behavior, and
Kelsie
May 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars

Began with a lot of potential but got somewhat slow and repetitive in the last 1/3 or so, and it had two of my big pet peeves at the end. Ghosting with no explanation and a long separation. A sure fire way to lose at least half a star from me.

The MCs did have a nice connection and the steam was hot , but not much happened after the first couple chapters. The “suspense” pretty much disappeared conveniently until we needed some drama at the end. Definite fumblings, but this was a debut
Sali
Love it.
It was sweet, interesting, fun and a beautiful love story. Both guys aren't perfect, they make mistakes but they do find their way back.
JenMcJ
So, I understand this is a debut novel. On the whole, I'd say it was pretty good. As far as the story. It was a little melodramatic and over the top and I'm not a fan of characters that run when things get messy and I get even more frustrated with characters that put up with toxic family but the MC's really had a lot of chemistry and the sex scenes were well done. I believed in these guys and they had a good sense of realism. I'm sure the author will only get better.

I think it was probably a li
Avid Reader
Oct 22, 2019 rated it liked it
First Impressions (Auckland Med. #1) by Jay Hogan
3 stars
M/M Romance
Triggers: Cheating, hints at some PTSD symptoms, Stalking, Kidnapping
I was given this book for an honest review by Wicked Reads.

Michael is a successful trauma doctor. He is enjoying being around people who don't know his past. While he's taking this break from LA, being around a different bunch is both comforting and terrifying.

Josh is trying to live his best life. With his daughter and dog wa
AussieMum
ARC received for voluntary review

Well, firstly I will say that the title, First Impressions, was apt, because after reading the first dozen pages I wasn't sure that I could even finish this.

I instantly hated Michael and his "hit it and quit it" mentality. I've read this type of characters attitude dozens of times before and I groaned thinking about it. And I was unsure of Josh. I mean, both these guys meet in the middle of a police raid on a gay club, but during everyone else being told to clear out bec
Lori
May 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So this started out pretty good. I like the banter between the two MCs and I even liked the one MC's daughter. There seemed to be a mystery in the beginning but that was secondary to the burgeoning relationship but played out a bit more towards the end.

What I didn't like was when one MC totally ghosted the other for MONTHS! I absolutely hate that! It didn't add to the story and, in fact, detracted from what could have been a better ending. 👏 Communication 👏is 👏key 👏!
Jenny Wood
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, first impression? Hot cover!

Anytime you give me a hot man in uniform, it’s going to give me pause. Throw in a hot doctor, uhm, yes, please! Make one of them a dad? Just take my money…. Take all of it!

In this one, we have Michael, who I’ll get to first. I didn’t care for him in the beginning. He’s arrogant and slutty and no matter what his reasons were, I just didn’t connect with him. After the death of a patient had hit him hard and lead to a multitude of problems i
Ivy
Nov 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Michael is an emergency doctor in Auckland. He’s in NZ for two years, and wants to make his time there as pleasurable as possible. While cruising in a gay club, Michael ends up in the middle of a police intervention where he meets the hot cop, Josh.
Josh is a gay single dad and a cop, and he has no time for a player like Michael. Not. AT. ALL. But when Michael’s life is in danger, Josh stands up and takes the matter in hand to keep him safe.
First Impressions by Jay Hogan is book 1 in
Brooke Banks
Trigger Warning: Drug Busts, Violence, Cheating, Kidnapping, Bigot Parents, Appropriation of Māori tribal tattoos.

I was really surprised how quickly I was taken in and over by First Impressions. I just could not stop reading it. Not even in public! And that’s really saying something given how easily embarrassed I am. After a couple of sex scenes, I started skipping them to get to the plot movement and save myself from looking like a tomato on my lunch break.

Sidenote: Very
Ami
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
First of all, First Impression that is released by Dreamspinner Press is the second edition from the same book released in 2018. There are no major changes – based on what the author said – so if you have read that one, I don’t think you need to re-read this one. In terms of series order, this is the first book in Auckland Med series, with the second book,First of all, First Impression that is released by Dreamspinner Press is the second edition from the same book released in 2018. There are no major changes – based on what the author said – so if you have read that one, I don’t think you need to re-read this one. In terms of series order, this is the first book in Auckland Med series, with the second book,Crossing the Touchline, released by Dreamspinner Press in April this year.

Now, with that out of the way…

First Impression is only my second book of Jay Hogan, and I think I’m ready to make her as one of the authors for me to keep eyes on. Why? Because I love how she writes her characters, how she weaves the plot (and problems the characters are having), and heck, I love her sex scenes too *laugh*. There’s plenty here, and I don’t skip all of it. That’s usually a sign that I can enjoy them

Michael and Josh’s first impression of each other may not be positive. Michael reminds Josh of his ex-partner, who cheated on Josh during the course of relationship. While Michael thinks Josh is annoying stuck-up of a man. But life keeps throwing these two on each other’s path.

Michael is a witness during a drug deal raid gone wrong – which killed one officer – and soon he finds his life in danger, when the bad people involved trying to keep Michael from talking. Josh, on the other hand, is the K9 officer in part of the raid, and amidst his reluctance to act on his attraction to Michael, feels the need to protect the doctor at all cost.

Cue in close-proximity trope *laugh*. FIREWORKS everywhere!! The tension is thick, their chemistry is HOT, and when they finally do the deeds, yep, sparkles and fires!

Both men are without their own issues, though. Michael is not the long-term commitment type while Josh is. Josh is a single father and not sure if he’s ready to stick with Michael if it only leads to heartbreak. Michael has his nightmares. Josh has his trust issues. Michael is an American, he has a timeline contract. Josh is also dealing with his homophobic parents who keeps saying his “lifestyle” is wrong to Josh’s daughter.

Yes, LOTS of things happening, but Jay Hogan is able to keep it all interesting and not drowning the romance. The second characters are all fun to read as well.

The final last act feels rushed though, with time moving a bit too fast for closure. But in overall, this is an enjoyable read for me. I bought the second book immediately because I’m dying to read Cameron’s story.

A Guest Review for The Blogger Girls

The ARC is provided by the publisher for an exchange of fair and honest review. No high rating is required for any ARC received.
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was given a copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads.

The slow build sexual tension in this book is electric. The family focused dog handler and the playboy ER doctor hate each other at first sight - but they can’t escape the chemistry that draws them together.

It’s easy to love Josh. He’s a devoted single parent and a genuinely good person. His adorable canine partner is also pretty attractive. But honestly, he’s a little safe and a little bland at times - and it was bad boy Mich
Joyfully Jay
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: michelle
A Joyfully Jay review.

Reading a good book is always a good thing and when it’s a good debut book, it’s even a little bit better. First Impressions did what the title suggests in more than one way as it left me with a great first impression of author Jay Hogan.

We meet Michael first in chapter one. I really liked what the author was able to do here as she showcased exactly what Michael was all about as he’s out cruising one night. He has no interest in a relationship or repe
Ruthie Taylor
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
~~I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads ~~

This is the first book in the series - but was rereleased after book 2. I really enjoyed Crossing the Touchline, so was keen to read this one too. Cam is the lead in book 2, which as you get to know him here makes a lot of sense.

An engaging mystery, which involves the doctor Michael, and K9 officer Josh. They first meet with Michael in a somewhat compromising position - so definitely not a good first impression. However with
Sue~Always Reading~
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
From the start of this book I wasn’t connecting with the characters. I didn’t warm up to Michael and I didn’t get the attraction between him and Josh. I thought the suspense part of the book was lacking and I found I skimmed a lot of it. I think that the author has a lot of potential and even though I don’t connect with this story I still would try the authors other books. The writing is strong and the book is getting great reviews. This was definitely more of a case of it’s me not the book.

ARC
Don Bradshaw
Very good story for a debut. The running away bothered me a little but Mr. Hogan worked it out fairly well. The Kiwi taste gave the story an extra punch. I expect to read a lot more by this up and coming author.
Lisa The Novel Approach
~ 3.5 Stars ~

First Impressions is a great name for this story. I started this book and immediately took a dislike to Michael. It wasn’t that he was a hit-it-and-quit-it type—he was a single man and if that is what floats his boat, more power—it was the entire situation and lack of caring for the damage he may or may not be causing. He came off as selfish and shallow. That was my first impression, and I wasn’t sure if this book was going to be for me.

I am glad I stuck with it, though
Krishaines
Nic
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet

This was a nice story. It had just the right amount of angst. Really liked both the main characters. The author did a great job of developing each one along with their back stories. It was interesting, entertaining and easy to follow.
Natosha Wilson
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well I have definitely found a new series that I will be reading as each book comes out!! Especially since this first book was such an incredible read!! I truly enjoyed this book. I was such an incredible read. It has the element of danger, mystery, suspense, friends with benefits relationship and so much more. I truly cannot wait for the next book in this series to come out!!

Michael is New Zealand on a work visa. But more then that this is a second chance for Michael. Before he left
Kyle
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ARC received in exchange for frank review.

Hogan's tale of two extremely flawed men felt raw and emotionally authentic to me. Set against the backdrop of contemporary Auckland's somewhat-energetic downtown gay scene, the story involved a crime in which Michael, one of the main characters, finds himself entangled. The attitude and sass exuded by Michael was over-the-top in the most endearing of ways. Credit for this must be assigned to the author's skill at crafting a multi-layered per
Debbie
This is book one in the Auckland Med series, but I am reading this AFTER I read book two, Crossing the Touchline. This book has been re-edited and tidied up, and is a re-release. I did not read the original version, so I can’t comment on any differences there may be.

But THIS version? Was brilliant!

Michael runs into Josh at a very inopportune moment, with his trousers round his knees, and his junk on display. That Josh immediately pushes ALL of Michael’s buttons and THEN s
Kristin
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Title and blurb sums up the book fairly well – during a raid on a popular gay bar, Josh meets Michael with his pants down. Literally. Not the best first impression. Michael, trying to escape memories and a relationship he screwed up back in the States, is in New Zealand for two years. All he wants is to work at the hospital and get some non-commitment relief on the weekends.

When Michael is attacked at home by the same suspected drug gang, Josh offers Michael safe housing. The attraction between
Maryann Kafka
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Michael Oliver’s life as an ER doctor, spiraled out of control after a tragic loss. Besides leaving what was left of his life, he also left America. He’s taken a temporary ER position at Aucland Med in New Zealand. He’s now living a life of no attachments, free as a bird and he seems to be a little whore-ish. He can be arrogant, snarky and has a devil-may-care attitude. But there seems to be something Michael is hiding about himself.

K-9 cop, Josh Rawlins is hard nosed and very seriou
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Goodreads Librari...: remove old edition cover 2 16 Nov 06, 2019 05:22PM

• Conspiracy Theory (Hamarsson & Dempsey, #1)
  • Best Man (Close Proximity #1)
  • Starting from Scratch (Starting From, #2)
  • Tallowwood
  • Happy for You (Love & Family #3)
  • Ground Zero (Zero Hour #1)
  • Hat Trick (Fake Boyfriend #5)
  • Rocket Science
  • Claiming Marcus (Lords of Discord, #1)
  • Resonance (Rhythm of Love #2)
  • Motorcycles and Macarons (Hearts of Snow Lake #1)
  • Hard to Let Go (Haven's Cove #1)
  • Flash Rip
  • Starting from Zero (Starting From #1)
  • Hell and Gone
  • Now You See Me
  • Hellion (415 Ink, #3)
  • Made for You (Love and Family, #2)
Jay Hogan
Jay Hogan is a New Zealand author writing in m/m romance and romantic suspense.She has travelled extensively and has lived in a few countries .In another life, she was an Intensive Care Nurse, Counselor, and Lecturer.

She is a cat aficionado especially of Maine Coons, and an avid dog lover (but don’t tell the cat). She loves to cook- pretty damn good, loves to sing - pretty damn ave

Auckland Med. (2 books)
  • Crossing the Touchline (Auckland Med. #2)