Start by marking “The Second Home: A Novel” as Want to Read:
The Second Home: A Novel

The Second Home: A Novel

After a disastrous summer spent at her family summer home on Cape Cod, seventeen-year-old Ann Gordon was left with a secret that changed her life forever, and created a rift between her sister, Poppy, and their adopted brother, Michael.

Expected publication: June 2nd 2020 by St. Martin's Press

Win a Copy of This Book

The Second Home
    Release date: Jun 02, 2020
    "Christina Clancy writes with warmth, wit, and wisdom about fantastically human characters." —Rebecca Makkai, Pulitzer Prize finalist for The Great Be ...more

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 100 copies available, 1839 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Nov 18 - Dec 02, 2019

Countries available: U.S. and Canada

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about The Second Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Second Home

Start your review of The Second Home: A Novel
    Michelle
    Oct 08, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: june-2020-reads
    Wahooo!! Goodreads Giveaway winner!!!
    Hulya Kara Yuksel
    Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Full review to come later... <3

*ARC provided by NetGalley.
    Joan Kappes
    Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Within the first few pages of The Second Home I was thoroughly hooked. Christi Clancy is a gifted storyteller, and long after I finished the book I could not stop thinking about the characters Ann, Poppy, and Michael. An arresting debut novel!
    Anuradha Rajurkar
    This is a hauntingly beautiful book. Told through multiple points of view, the characters are flawed and human, the family dynamic unusual and compelling, and the plot is riveting. The writing style reminds of me Joan Dideon or Jean Thompson. An amazing debut.
    Elisabeth Blue
    Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    The Second Home is impossible to put down, which is unfortunate because Christina has such a beautiful way with language that one never wants the book to end. I was drawn in from the very first sentence and the imagery is so vivid that I would swear I had sand from Cape Cod between my toes. Dive into this compelling family drama and enjoy the ride.
    Ann-Marie
    Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    This story of a loving family coming apart during the tragic events of one summer at their Cape Cod vacation home struck the heart of me. The Gordon family was a remarkable little group of people, one I believe could really exist.
    Christina Clancy did a superb job of inserting her characters into moments of time and place that tells the tale of three teenagers thrown into a situation they are not mature enough to handle, the selfish adult who manipulated them for his own benefit, and the parent
    Patricia Zashkoff
    I gave this book 5 stars because from the very start I was drawn to this Wisconsin family and their second home on Cape Cod. The family consists of a mother, father, daughter Polly and daughter Ann. They adopt a teenage boy named Michael, who is the same age as Ann. The parents love him like a son but the girls, particularly Ann, like him more than a brother. What could go wrong? To complicate matters, Ann take a babysitting job and gets involved with the father of the boys she is babysitting. T ...more
    Liam
    Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    What a beautiful book this is! It will be just out in time for beach reading season, so get ready to get your own copy sandy, but buy a second for safekeeping at home. It's that good. An intricate plot, great writing, and most of all, an engrossing picture of a family trying to find its way -- truly -- home.
    Kristie
    Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Loved this book so much!
    Bob Piper
    Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    An excellent book. The characters have great depth: I found myself attracted to, or repelled by each one in turn, nodding my head in understanding of their actions. The story is compelling; exploring the meaning of family and the strange gravitational pull of a second home. Christi's writing so accurately captures a scene or setting that I often found myself catching my breath, then going back to reread a passage, thinking "how did she do that?"
    Lauren Fox
    Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    The Second Home is a deep and complex meditation on the fragile bonds of love and family and home. The writing is gorgeous and the book is a page-turner, to boot. I can't recommend this highly enough!
    Wendy
    Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    This is one of those books that makes you feel like you have new friends - thanks to Christina Clancy's brilliant writing, you finish the book feeling like you really know and understand the characters - they are so REAL. I could not put the book down! Now that I'm done I already miss the Gordons! I can't wait to see what she writes next! Hurry!!
    Jenna Nizzardini
    This book is phenomenal! It’s a great summer read, and impossible to put down. The characters all keep you drawn in in their own ways, and the descriptions of Cape Cod make you feel like you’re right there with them. Don’t miss out on a great book!
    Joan
    Nov 07, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Review of Uncorrected Digital Galley

The Gordon family . . . Ann, Poppy, adopted brother Michael, mother Connie, father Ed . . . called Milwaukee, Wisconsin home but spent every summer at their other home in Cape Cod. The house had been in the family for generations and the family loved spending time there. But the year Ann was seventeen, everything changed.

Fifteen years after that disastrous summer, Connie and Ed have died, killed in a horrific automobile accident. The sisters have
    Kali Thomas
    Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    I didn't expect to love this family drama as much as I did. Instead of rehashing the plot (the book summary on Netgalley and Goodreads does that already), I want to talk about how this story made me feel.

Nostalgia, grief, tears, laughter, closeness, longing, FAMILY. It had it all. I instantly found myself wishing I was a part of this perfectly flawed family.

Don't let my emotions fool you, though. This isn't all rainbows. Truth is, the story is dark most of the time. I think that's w
    Olivia L
    Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    After reading 'The Second Home'—a book that defies one of the sacred tenets of fiction writing—I was left feeling... Awestruck! Utterly Gobsmacked! Usually, when faced with a narrative in which telling takes precedent over showing, I tend to quickly lose interest. Howbeit, in this case the writing was so captivating that the point is irrelevant. This story consumed me from beginning to end. 'The Second Home' is a beautiful, intricately crafted tale about growing up, about love and loss, about fa ...more
    Liz
    Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Jean
    Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: giveaways
    I won this book in a giveaway and so glad I did. It takes place in Cape Cod, which immediately sparks my interest. I love anything local. This is a book about family and love. I was hooked after the first page.
    Thank you, Goodreads for the advanced copy. This is an author I will watch for in the future.
    BetweenShadesofBooks
    Sounds very interesting to devour! Totally want to be able to read this soon!
    Kari
    Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Christina Clancy's novel The Second Home will touch your heart and give you hope as you follow the challenges, hurts, growth and healing of her characters Ann, Poppy and Michael. Like the Gordon siblings, you will find yourself longing for simpler times and the nostalgia of family summers before the harsh realties of life and bad choices force us to step away into our own adult challenges.

Each of the Gordon's will claim a piece of your heart and give you an emotional ride through o
    Barbara
    Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    This is a beautifully written novel from Christina Clancy, a new author. The Gordons are a nice family with hard working parents, two lovely teenage daughters, and a newly adopted teenage son. They travel each summer from Milwaukee to a family home on Cape Cod. This home is as important as the human characters. Ms. Clancy has a wonderful sense of time and place. You can almost feel the ocean breeze on Cape Cod, either bitterly blowing in the winter or cooling the air in the summer. Each characte ...more
    Susan Gromis
    Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Such a beautiful coming of age story with family dynamics that engage the reader! Summers spent in their home at the shore in New England until one summer with heartbreaking consequences tears the family apart: can the siblings ever find their way back to each other with understanding and forgiveness?
    Thank you, Christina Clancy, for this wonderful story, destined to be one of the best books of the year.
    Kristin
    I won this book on a Goodreads first reads giveaway.

**Friendly warning in advance that this review contains spoilers.**

You're probably asking yourself why I gave this such a low rating (currently with 21 reviews, 37 ratings, and a cool 4.86 stars...I'm the first and only person, so far, to rate this below 3 stars). There are two reasons for that:

Consistency and Ann.

Nothing in this story was consistent, from the characters personalities to the plot...it sometimes became a tangled web of doubling back on itself, revealing key things as an afterthought (which
    Janet
    Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Superspeed readers like me can read 150 - 200+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book … and many more today. LOL

Booked-up22
    Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Now, fifteen years later, her parents have died, leaving Ann and Poppy to decide the fate of the Wellfleet home that's been in the Gordon family for generations. For Ann, the once-beloved house is tainted with bad memories. Poppy loves the old saltbox, but a
    Shana
    Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Jen
    Oct 28, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    This book centers on siblings Ann and Poppy and their adoptive brother Michael, who spent summers at their house in Cape Cod. Upon the death of their parents, they have to decide what to do with the house, which holds so many good and bad memories. The book goes back and forth between when they were kids and the current time, when they are adults.

I liked the book and thought it was a quick read. I also felt that the ending was satisfying, leaving me with some questions that I knew I'
    MiA
    3.5 stars pumped up.

This is a story about the kind of places that we come to inhabit only to find out that it inhabits us and not the other way around. I'm always tentative when it comes to contemporary stories because, let's face it, there's a lot of cliches out there. But this story is not one of those cliches.

Clancy builds her characters layer by layer in a very convincing way. Although there was a lot of telling, I let it slide because of the author's intimate way of
    Virginia Morris
    Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: 2019, netgalley
    Provided by Net Galley

I was immediately interested by "family secret" and the beach setting. It is my favorite type of book - an easy read with a surprising depth.

The main characters - Poppy, Ann, and Michael- were very sympathetic and “real”. I easily identified with Ann as being the high achieving good girl, but also saw a lot of my younger brother in Poppy. I didn’t like the fringe characters as much. I felt like they were caricatures - “aging hippie teacher parents”, “bored housewife”, and
    Tina
    Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    While this book won't be out until June of next year, it will be worth it to put it on your Book Club lists. It centers around a family from Wisconsin who vacations every summer on Cape Cod in a summer house that has been in the family for generations. It is not a sumptuous house, but it is cozy and well loved and hold many memories. It follows the growing up years of three siblings, one adopted, and how each is faced with a personal crisis arising from their family situation. One thing is consi ...more

• Big Lies in a Small Town
    • Up from Adams Street: A Memoir
    • The New Husband
    • To Love and Let Go
    • The Secrets He Kept: A suspenseful, gripping psychological thriller with a nail-biting ending
    • Regretting You
    • Feels Like Falling
    • Such a Fun Age
    • The Oysterville Sewing Circle
    • A Hundred Suns
    • Olive, Again
    • Shocks at Shipley Academy
    • An Everyday Hero (A Heart of a Hero #2)
    • Been There, Married That: A Novel
    • Every Thing You Are
    • Behind Every Lie
    • The Light After the War
    • Why We Can't Sleep: Women's New Midlife Crisis
    Like the characters in THE SECOND HOME, I spent the summers of my youth on Cape Cod in the rugged and artsy town of South Wellfleet, MA. The outermost Cape is a place of steep sand dunes, pristine fresh water kettle ponds, salty air, scrub pine and oak trees. It's a place that has stayed with me everywhere I go.

My grandparents lived in a simple cove-side house that has been in our fami