Start by marking “Voices in the Snow (Black Winter, #1)” as Want to Read:
Voices in the Snow (Black Winter, #1)

Voices in the Snow

(Black Winter #1)

Clare remembers the cold. She remembers abandoned cars and children’s toys littered across the road. She remembers dark shapes in the snow and a terror she can’t explain. And then…nothing.

When she wakes, aching and afraid in a stranger’s gothic home, he tells her she was in an accident. He claims he saved her. Clare wants to leave, but a vicious snowstorm has blanketed
Published November 18th 2019 by Black Owl Books

Start your review of Voices in the Snow (Black Winter, #1)
NicholeReadsWithCats
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow! This is absolutely one of my favorite reads by this author. Once I was a few chapters in it became impossible to stop reading but I also wanted to slow it down so it lasted longer!

I'm going to try to do this with no spoilers.
Dorran and Claire quickly became two of my favorite characters from a fiction book. They were unique, quirky and lovable. The story was a new spin on a subject that frequents supernatural fiction. I really enjoyed the authors interpretation.

I personally enjoyed the
Becky Stephens
Nov 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Darcy Coates is an excellent storyteller, and this book is no exception!

Dropping right into the action, this is a rollercoaster of emotions, with a nice twist toward the end.

The only downside is that I have to wait five months for the sequel. Speaking of which... While this book does have a tidy ending, it certainly leaves the plot open for more action.

I recommend to all fans of horror who also don't mind a bit of romance.
Brandy
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
A world event that leaves citizens confused, scared, missing and in grave danger. News reports are confusing and conflicting, but one thing is for sure — whole cities are going dark and those who enter don’t come out. Clare, living hours from her family, tries to reach them by car as the dark areas spread. She then wakes up in an isolated mansion with a handsome stranger who saved her life and has no recollection of how she got there or what happened to her on the way. Unprecedented snow buries ...more
Matthew King
Dec 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is book one and a sequel is on the way which I will be looking out for.

This is very well written and quite long which is impressive given the very small cast and limited location. Set entirely in and around a house in the middle of a forest.

Clare is on her way through the snow during an unspecified disaster. She crashes and wakes up in Winterbourne Hall surrounded by deep snow. Her only companion is a taciturn man with many secrets. Is he good or bad?

The story keeps you guessing for a long
Jamie Davis
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Darcy Coates writes horror in a way that creates both dread at what’s to come and fascination about what the next pages will bring—exactly what I look for in this genre.

I wasn’t sure what to expect with Black Winter, but Dorran and Clare’s story created a perfect blend of those qualities and ended at the perfect place to lead up to book two. A blend of horror, apocalypse, and dystopian created a fantastic plot, and I’m waiting with great anticipation for April when book two releases.

I’ve yet
Heather
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Highly recommend! So happy when she a new book out and this one doesn't disappoint!

Darcy is my favorite writer, I love her books and this one didn't disappoint. I like the characters, the mysteries and even the length of the book (of course it could have been another 200 pages and I would have been thrilled) . I look forward to the next book, part 2. If I had a complaint, which I don't really, it would be that it wasn't quite as scary as some of her other books. But honestly there were some
Jye
Dec 11, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
a good enough story, the characters feel like they are written a bit oddly but overall likeable. I enjoyed the first 65-70% of the book much more than the remainder of the book as it seemed to change genres and felt like the book become an entirely new story (view spoiler)

I’ll read the next one to see how it goes but unless it is better
Brenda
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Different but good

Black Winter was different from what I expect from Darcy Coates, but different can be a good thing! This story unfolded in such a way that I kept guessing about what was going on. Thing is what I kept thinking was nothing compared to what the storyline provided . The plot was gripping , and alive visually. I could imagine the areas of the castle as well as the characters, some of which were to scary to even imagine. The ending was unexpected and leaves me anxious to read the
anete sailor
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
what has happend ?

I was so looking forwards reading this book... i even preordered the next book before reading this and boooom! the beginning was promising but turned out to be a boring zombie book with a bit too much of "oh, darling" etc ... I was expecting way more from Darcy Coates as I have read almost all her books and really enjoyed them....... disappointing... 2 stars...
Mari
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not my usual cup of tea...

So I won't give away the twist of the book here, but I will just say that I don't usually read stories about this. But this author is so good that she made it enjoyable. I have read several of her books and have liked them all. Can't wait til the next one in this series comes out next year. Can't wait to see what happens with the main characters and their families.
Wendy Johnson
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent! Darcy Coates never fails. This book kept the suspense throughout and the ending was the perfect cliffhanger where you could stop reading and not feel robbed. The book kept me wanting to keep reading, to peer around that next corner to find more. As per her style, she places the reader in an architecturally beautiful old home with antique furnishings. When I closed the book, I felt as if I had just watched a really good horror movie.
RW
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
This one really didn't grab me. 25% of the way through and I just couldn't care about Claire and her weird rich savior. The premise is cool, and the writing is clean and easy enough to read, but after ten chapters I decided to close this one for good. Perhaps if I were more interested in the romance between the MC and her savior/captor I would have finished it.
Amy
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I will keep you safe my darling...

It's been awhile since Ms. Coates has written one of her books...at least it seemed that way! This book was worth the wait. A little different than most of her other reads, it still held the suspense I adore.
What an amazing start to a promising series!
Janina s. Asselin
Nov 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Not her best

I enjoy her books and did with this one. What I didn't like was the main female character. One minute she is gung-ho to go and the next she can't move. Waa-waa. Very annoying and aggravating. The main male character was no prize either. What was well done was the creatures.
Raena
Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good read

I like the characters. They didn't connect right away, it was more of a slow burn. At times I felt myself skipping over paragraphs just to see what would happen next, but I also skipped over some I felt didn't need to be included. Overall it was a very interesting read, and I cannot wait to see where it lead in the next book.
Jeni Sammells
Dec 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Darcy Coates knows just how to make you come back for more.

Having read all of Darcy Coates' other wonderful books, I was really looking forward to this new story.
This is an amazing book, I could not put it down. Her talent for evoking unease, discomfort and terror is disturbingly addictive. I can't wait for part two to see what's next for Clare and Dorran.
Erika DeVore
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. It seemed to have influences from House of Shadows but totally took it in a direction I wasn’t expecting. It seems like this series will be a different avenue than typical Darcy novels but stay true to the elements that make them so great. I couldn’t put it down the moment I opened it and it might kill me to wait until April 7th-but I most certainly can’t wait!
Cristy Bramhall
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Intriguing and frightening new world of what could become. Keeps you on the edge of your seat. The endless possibilities of what can happen in a world that seems normal and then one day everything is not as it seems and everyday is a survival of not only the mind but your life. Can't wait for the next installment ... Way too far away.
Kay Oliver
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Spooky

Coates is one of my all-time favorite paranormal authors and this book demonstrates why. Eerie, intriguing with wonderfully crafted characters in a classic location. A must read.
M.M. Wedin
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read! I love end of world mysterious scenarios and this one fit the bill perfectly! I'm not one for series, but as soon as I finished this one I wanted to grab the second!

Highly recommend for readers of horror, suspense and post apocalyptic.

A well deserving 5 stars from me
Happy Girl Indiana
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
Not my cup of tea

I would not have bought this book but I did not know it was about zombies. I don't care about vampire or zombie stories and won't be buying book two. None of it was believable.
Rachel Matheny
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I got chills it's so good!!

I haven't been this excited about a series in years!! Dracy truly has a gift for writing. Book two here I come!

Red
Alan Casey
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Highly recommend!

A creative love story intertwined with an apocalyptic event keeps the reader turning pages until the very end. I look forward to book 2 in the series!
sharon featherston
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant

A sudden and relentless snow storm hits and with it seems the world is collapsed under the snow with strange creature's. .
Can't wait for the next book
wendy m norton
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another excellent read!

Darcy does it again! I just love her! Can’t wait for the next one. Always interesting always a great read! She never disappoints!
Debbie
Good Story

This is so much more of a story than the usual haunted house books. I really liked reading about Clare and Dorren.
Amy Wissing
Dec 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Darcy Coates gets better and better. Creepy with several mysteries working at once. Ends on a cliffhanger and I was so bummed to learn i have to wait until April 2020 for book two.
Andrea
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Can't wait for April 2020!
Ebby
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very enjoyable

Another great read from Darcy Coates. The characterisation is excellent, as is the creation of a sense of place. Perfect for a winter evening.
Conny
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-star-books
What a wonderful Super Creepy book this was.
It give me the creeps but also warm feelings.
Dorran and Clare are just wonderful.
I can't wait till the next book, but we have to wait till 2020.
Creatures, Creatu...: * January Group Read: Voices in the Snow by Darcy Coates! 3 16 Dec 01, 2019 06:23AM

• The Haunting of Beacon Hill (The Beckoning Dead, 1)
  • The Haunting of Lannister Hall
  • This Haunted World Book Three: Highgate: A Truly Haunting Supernatural Thriller
  • Natural Born Witch (Witches of Palmetto Point #8)
  • Shepherd's Warning
  • Anger and Death: Supernatural Horror with Scary Ghosts & Haunted Houses (Tormented Souls Series Book 2)
  • No One's Home
  • Graveyard Shift: The Haunted Ones Book 6 (Paranormal Suspense)
  • The Coldwater Haunting
  • Photographing the Dead (Nameless #2)
  • Escape From Hotel Necro
  • Red Rain (Nameless #4)
  • In the Heart of the Fire (Nameless #1)
  • The Praying Mantis Bride (Nameless #3)
  • The Nursery (The Bayou Hauntings Book 3)
  • Blackthorn Manor Haunting (Addison Lockhart, #3)
  • The Haunting of The House on Hill Road
  • Short Horror Stories Vol. 5: Scary Ghosts, Monsters, Demons, and Hauntings (Supernatural Suspense Collection)
Darcy is the USA Today Bestselling author of Hunted, The Haunting of Ashburn House, Craven Manor, and more than a dozen horror and suspense titles.

She lives on the Central Coast of Australia with her family, cats, and a garden full of herbs and vegetables.

Darcy loves forests, especially old-growth forests where the trees dwarf anyone who steps between them. Wherever she lives, she tries to have a