Start by marking “Summer Frost” as Want to Read:

Published September 17th 2019 by Brilliance Audio

Start your review of Summer Frost
Emily May
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Summer Frost was so good. Probably my second favourite of the Forward collection because Jemisin's Emergency Skin just really did it for me, but they are so different that it's hard to compare them. Jemisin's was shorter and snappier with a very hard-hitting concept. Crouch's was longer, with way more character development and a touch of what seems to be his trademark doomed romance.

Crouch really is quite the romantic, I think. Not in a bad way. It adds a much-needed layer of humanity to his sci-fi nov
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
A strong 4 stars for this SF novella that examines the issues with AI. Full review first posted on FantasyLiterature.com:

A woman steals a Maserati and takes off for a mansion north of San Francisco, on a remote stretch of Highway 1 on the coast of California. Another person, Riley, follows her into the home and up to a bathroom, where a man in the tub is dying of knife wounds. As Riley pursues the woman, the tension is offset somewhat by feeling that something about the scene is off.
preoccupiedbybooks
An interesting and creepy look at AI and it's potential, but sadly it was not as enjoyable as I would have liked.

I was toying with giving this Novella 3.5/4 stars, but when I woke up this morning I knew that it was a three star read for me. It was good, but nothing new or special. I think I wanted to like it more than I did because of my enjoyment of Blake Crouch's previous books, and I think that affected my original judgement. I will say that if this is your first book by Blake Crouch, that you should definitely pi
Reading Tam Ishly
Sep 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
➡Good morning, Max.
➡Hello, Riley.
➡What have you done since our last session?
➡Max read 895,013 books."

I don't love the book for these lines though!

But that's pretty fascinating even for an artificial being. I am impressed, Blake Crouch. But why that exact number though?

He is one truly amazing sci-fi writer that I so hopelessly adore. He makes me love sci-fi!

This one talks about artificial intelligence. And one of the best sci-fi game ficti
Carol (Bookaria)
A game developer becomes obsessed with one of her characters after it breaks the script and becomes self-aware.

This is a short fiction story that explores AI. The dialog and themes reflect on the nature of human life and our understanding of it. Although the novel is short, the topics discussed have stayed me with me long after I turned the last page. There is a Black-Mirrorish vibe that chilled me to the core at some points.

Short but powerful, another great story from on
Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)
Sheesh - Crouch seriously is the king of sci-fi and this AI story gets right under your skin. LOVE.
Richard Derus
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindled
Real Rating: 4.75* of five

The Publisher Says: A video game developer becomes obsessed with a willful character in her new project, in a mind-bending exploration of what it means to be human by the New York Times bestselling author of Recursion.

Maxine was made to do one thing: die. Except the minor non-player character in the world Riley is building makes her own impossible decision—veering wildly off course and exploring the boundaries of the map. When the curious Riley extracts her code for closer/>The
Laura Noggle
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, under-200-pages
Ugh ... why is Crouch so good?!? 😫🤩 I’ve never liked a short story as much as this one—perfect in every way.

~ Ex Machina vibez ~ Part of the “Forward” Collection ~

Looks like I’m going to have to read every single thing Crouch has ever written.

So far:

1. Dark Matter - 5⭐'s
2. Recursion - 5⭐'s
3. Summer Frost - 5⭐'s

“There is no such thing as real taste or real smell or even real sight, because there is no true definition of ‘real.’ There is only information, viewed subjective
Hamad
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This ReviewBlog 📖 Twitter 🐦 Instagram 📷

★ Let me be honest, Blake Crouch was the main reason I read this collection of stories! When I saw that he had a short story in this collection and it was the longest one, I had to get it.

★ This short story captures Crouch's specialty, crazy sci-fi story that are thought provoking and are scary because how realistic they are!!

★ I am not saying much about those short stories because I do not want to spoil anything, this story tackles the subject
Chelsey
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Crouch crushes the sci-fi short story genre too!! This is part of the Forward Collection on Amazon and is a super quick and entertaining read.

Riley works for WorldGames developing gamer content when she inadvertently creates a super intelligent AI. Over the course of eight years, she develops the AI - Max - beyond all expectations. But, as with any great sci-fi novel will tell you, with great power and intelligence comes great responsibly and danger.
Emma
Oct 23, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was surprised to find this quite derivative.
Milda Page Runner
Story of AI. It felt familiar somehow, but there were few unexpected twists too.
I like Blake's 'no-nonsense' prose and present tense. He made me feel for the main character despite it being only a short story.
Recommended.

Mackey
Summer Frost is part of the Forward Collection of Amazon shorts all of which are about author's vision of the future. In Summer Frost, a video coder/developer has created a character whose only purpose was to die in the first scenes of the game. The character, Maxine, had other ideas. Somehow, unknown to the developer, Maxine has jumped from an avatar to reality within the game. As the story progresses, we watch as Maxine, now AI, takes on a life of her own. It is creepy, frightening and all too ...more
Manisha
Actual review: 3.5

“If you believe the rise of the devil is an inevitability, isn’t it in your best interest to do everything possible to ingratiate yourself with the monster?”

Summer Frost is the second story I picked up from the Forward series. This is the first story I have read by Blake Crouch, and I know it won’t be my last.

What more could we have expected?

How do you rate a book that is so well writ/>“If
Diane
I liked this story a lot. Crouch definitely has a “style”, which I find compelling. And I’ve always been interested in Robot/Android/AI stories.

I liked how Crouch played with gender expectations in this story. For a moment I wondered whether the MC was male or female and wondered if they were male, why they would have a woman narrate the story. I half expected Riley to be non-binary, but it was “revealed” at some point that Riley is female in a same-sex relationship.

Definitely chilling ending,
Sara *~The Loquacious Lassie~*
Holy guacamole guys...this short story knocked me right on my butt! This story is part of a collection curated by Crouch, as described below. Blake's contribution explores the advancement of AI technology and the possible ramifications of developing a super intelligence beyond our control. His writing, as ever, is just beautiful, with pithy dialogue, multifaceted characters, and a heart-wrenching plot. This story also makes a strong nod to the LBGTQ and non-binary communities, which was a surpri ...more
Cathy
Sep 30, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2019
The story was ok. Matrix meets Terminator isn‘t quite right, but went through my thoughts anyway. The exploration of AI has an unusual start, but doesn‘t lead to anything new. What is awareness, what are the dangers and how do we protect ourselves?

Then there is some slight exploration of gender identity, but it‘s so peripheral that Crouch might just not have bothered. Skin colour is thrown in there, but not elaborated at all.

I do not completely believe the developmental process of A
Lisa Wolf
I'm listening my way through Amazon's Forward story collection. Summer Frost was my first, and it's a good one, all about AI and consciousness and the meaning of humanity. Chilling and complicated -- definitely worth a read.
Henry
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant

Blake Crouch is one of the most creative novelists writing today. Wayward Pines, Dark Matter and Recursion are all brilliant and this story does not disappoint. I highly recommend it.
Anissa
Sep 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of speculative fiction & science fiction
"Why did you kill your husband?" I ask. "Not husband. Oscar kill Max with knife two thousand thirty-nine times."

I'm by no definition a gamer but I am one who enjoys Blake Crouch's writing. I loved this! If not for a true terminus of an ending, I could have read a full-length novel of this story. Max, a NPC (non-playing character) breaks out of their programming (I suppose being murdered 2039 times is a grim but good teacher) and sets out on a course that their maker and mentor never saw coming. I'm
Obsidian
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Woo boy. Blake Crouch put his foot in this short story. Damn. I loved every part of it and think if he can stick the landing like this in his stand-alone novels he would be a instant buy author for me in the future. "Summer Frost" was wonderfully done from beginning to end. I swear this read like the best Black Mirror episode ever. Which is saying something since the past two seasons I have been meh towards Black Mirror.

"Summer Frost" follows Riley who is a video game developer. Riley has reali
Lisa Reads & Reviews
This novella about development of a super-intelligent AI was okay. Most stories about super-intelligent beings are generally disappointing because the being can only reason and respond within the human limitations of the writer. (I'd love to read a super AI story where the AI's analysis truly blows me away.) A true super-intelligent AI would be unfathomable. They'd reach conclusions and plan in a manner that a reader of average intelligence like myself would not quite understand but would feel a ...more
Laura Peden
This is just a bit too far out there for me 😬 I’m not the right audience for this one unfortunately. I’m sure buttloads of people are going to love it though.
Veronique
Sep 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, stars-4-0
3.75*

Another unsettling tale, this time from Blake Crouch, of the Recursion and Dark Matter.

A non-player character develops into something more, while its ‘creator’, the video game developer, looses herself in the endeavour. This is not a new theme but Crouch can write a thrilling narrative. I particularly liked the parallels made at the very beginning and the very end - quite chilling actually.
Matthew Quann
Blake Crouch, the curator of the Forward collection, comes through with one of the best stories of the bunch. Though the story does work an old AI trope, it's done with Crouch's distinctive ability to generate tension and momentum within his story. I liked emergence of the AI through a VR video game, and thought that the AI's evolution was well handled. Though the whole thing ends up being fairly predictable, it's a fun ride that caps off with one of the darkest endings of the collection next to Trembl ...more
Jamie
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Chilling look at the emergence of self-aware/conscious, super intelligent AI in the near future. The story touches on some of the intricately complex questions about the nature of consciousness and humanity's responsibility for the emergence of self-aware AI when it's true nature may never be fully understood, despite our best efforts to instill it with human values. Once created, how long can it really be contained? Crouch's writing and storytelling here are superb, with vivid prose that's both ...more
Malina Skrobosinski
YESSSSS! I fucking love Blake Crouch! Excuse my colorful language, but the man is good!

A creepy A.I. story that makes me want to walk away from video games altogether. Virtual reality, or reality in the making?
Kate
Oct 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2019
4.25/5stars

this was fantastic?? i want more ??? but also it was a perfect length ?? omg???

i am still shook at how amazing Crouch wrote from a lesbian woman's point of view like wtf is this talent and why dont more male writers have it???

spooky AF at the end omg
Lena
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
0175C3FE-39C2-4979-AA62-84776052FC92.jpg
Damn, Blake Crouch has done it again! A full short story, beginning, middle...
- Transmission Ends -
Another story about AI becoming dangerously intelligent. I did not feel that this short story was very original. Riley falls in love with an AI that was "rescued" from a video game and spends 8 years working with it. Riley puts Max, the AI, before everything in life, including family. The creep factor is there, both with Riley and Max. The story was predictable. I'm surprised that this book is the most highly rated in the Forward Collection. 1.5/5 stars (rounded up).
Blake Crouch is a bestselling novelist and screenwriter. He is the author of the forthcoming novel, Dark Matter, for which he is writing the screenplay for Sony Pictures. His international-bestselling Wayward Pines trilogy was adapted into a television series for FOX, executive produced by M. Night Shyamalan, that was Summer 2015’s #1 show. With Chad Hodge, Crouch also created Good Behavior, the T ...more

Forward Collection (7 books)
  • Ark