Start by marking “A Cry to War” as Want to Read:
A Cry to War

A Cry to War

Book Background:

The book is set in thirteenth-century West Africa. It dramatises the conflicts, politics and triumphs of a number of West African Kingdoms, such as the Benin Kingdom, Ghanaian empire, Malian Kingdom and the Fulani people. The story stretches across countries, seas and continents, showing the great variation in language, customs and traditions between tribes
Paperback, 1, 325 pages
Published October 18th 2019 by Ghagerian Publishing

To ask other readers questions about A Cry to War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Cry to War

Start your review of A Cry to War
Deborah Obida
Oct 30, 2019 is currently reading it
Shelves: adult, fantasy
I'm reading this book for two reasons.

1. Its a 13th century African inspired fantasy, which is a rarity in fantasy.

2. Its a free book.
Syd the Kid
Nov 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Rating: 3.5 stars

*An ARC copy of this book was provided to me in exchange for an honest review*

Synopsis - A Cry to War is about revenge. Revenge of Kings. Revenge of a brother. Revenge of a sister. Revenge of a couple. The kingdom was peaceful and thriving. But when King Ewuare started to hear someone close to him whisper thoughts of revenge in his ear and when he started to receive visions, guilt for not revenging his fathers death arose. Now, 20 years after his fathers death he must decide if
ijeoma Agbaje

*This book was given to me by the author in exchange for an honest review.*

So even though i try not to DNF books that are given for review purposes no matter how bad it might be, this book had way too many negatives for me to continue reading without doing serious harm to my kindle. Anyways since i did not finish it i will not be rating it but for all intents and purposes, this would be a one star rating for me.

Set in 1267AD West Africa but where characters are using words like 'oga and madam'.

Christina
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wow! I've never read a fantasy historical war fiction novel before, and this novel was pretty rock solid! I had a few questions for the author while reading this book, and I was quite surprised on all the intricate layers that went into building the various kingdoms in the book. I really enjoyed that there was a great buildup to the war, and there was plenty of action and no dull moments in the book. There was a great amount of detail that went into the character development, which was very ...more
Chidi Nkwocha
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love the buildup to the war. No dull moments. Sleek writing. Great character depiction. The 3rd person omniscient POV makes the story even more interesting. The sex and violence scenes are quite graphic -suits the epic content. In all, this is a world class bestseller whose future movie adaptation would compete favourably with the likes of Game of Thrones.
Shobo Mayowa
Great read. This is my first African novel that deftly combines genres like crime, fantasia, romance to mention a few. The scenes of violence and romance is hardcore too. The narrative is set in medieval times amalgamating several cultures. The flow is also very coherent, you're in for good times.
Shannaka
Sep 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Phenomenal!

This was my first character driven fantasy book and my first African novel and I must say it set a standard and has opened my eyes up to the world of fantasy. I am a contemporary girl but I definitely think I will start trying fantasy now.

The world building was good. The characters were pretty fleshed out for the most part. I could distinguish between the kingdoms, the kings and their families. The storylines were so easy to follow. I felt like I was a part of the action while
Moustapha Diop
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
First of all, thanks to the author for sending me an ARC copy of this book.
I don't even how where to start, other than saying that this book couldn't be more accurate. You can tell the author has done an amazing amount of research in this book, and the description is always so elaborate and vivid, it gets a little overwhelming at times but that's just because of my personal preferences (I prefer when there is as little description as possible). It is easy to see the story as something that
Marjorie
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A war has begun because of the death of Prince Jafari. Plans are being made and preparation is made for war.
This story is so good. Once you begin reading it, you'll find yourself not stopping until you get to the end. You will find sketched maps to show the area of where the war takes place. There are others that you will find of women and the cages where prisoners were kept. These pictures give the story even more reality.
While you read, you'll feel as though you are part of the story. There
Linda Isakson
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
I volunteered to read and review this book. The story's backbone is good and has promise. But the writing desperately needs a professional editor. The tone and style changed too often between pages. The pace of the story did not have a natural flow--too many parts lingered over unimportant details and other important scenes were too hastily glossed over. This book has a lot of potential, and with a substantial amount of reworking could be a really good read.
E.O. Odiase
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I think the book is awesome. Of course, I would say that, I wrote it. In any case, it is a much-needed addition to the literary table, weaving rich African culture and mythology into modern literature.
Isaac
Connie
Oct 20, 2019
Lauren Marrero
Oct 22, 2019

• Demon Mistress (Otherworld/Sisters of the Moon, #6)
  • Blade of the Immortal, Volume 8: The Gathering
  • Kari: Sweet Western Historical Romance (Walker Creek Brides Book 1)
  • Ice Shards (Otherworld #9.5)
  • Blade of the Immortal, Volume 9: The Gathering II
  • Harvest Hunting (Otherworld/Sisters of the Moon #8)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Promise (Avatar: The Last Airbender, #1)
  • Blood Wyne (Otherworld/Sisters of the Moon, #9)
  • Scraps of Paper (Spookie Town Murder Mystery, #1)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: Smoke and Shadow (Avatar: The Last Airbender, Library Edition, #4)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Rift (Avatar: The Last Airbender, #3)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Search (Avatar: The Last Airbender, #2)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: North and South (Avatar: The Last Airbender, Library Edition, #5)
  • Blade of the Immortal Omnibus Volume 4
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: Imbalance, Part Three (Imbalance, #3)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: Imbalance, Part One (Imbalance, #1)
  • Black Panther: Long Live the King
  • Courting Darkness (Otherworld/Sisters of the Moon #10)
Growing up, we were taught colonial and post-colonial African history. It is rare to hear of African history, tales, or traditions before slavery. The lack of information pushed us to uncover a broader truth about our Ghanaian and Nigerian cultures. For a few years now, we have visited several museums, showing a variety of ancient artefacts, such as the Benin Bronzes.
Our fascination with
“We may be from different Kingdoms, different customs and different religions, but today we stand as brothers, as equals with a common goal!” 1 likes