Start by marking “Love Spells for the End of the World” as Want to Read:
Love Spells for the End of the World

Love Spells for the End of the World

Perfect for fans of Hocus Pocus, Halloweentown, and Good Omens, this Halloween romance is certain to put you under its spell....

Leyton is pretty much your normal town. And I’m pretty much your normal twenty-something. Except that Leyton is populated by magical beings and I’m a witch.

Every year, for the month of October, Leyton opens its doors to the mortal world. They bri
Published September 16th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Love Spells for the End of the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love Spells for the End of the World

Start your review of Love Spells for the End of the World
Christopher
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
For a witch, Bel's magical ability is limited. Sure, she can toss a mean hex at her sworn enemy Eli, the Witch Hunter next door. But major magic? That's tricky. However, when a portal suddenly opens in her home, threatening her enchanted hometown along with everyone she loves, she'll stop at at nothing to destroy it — even if it means making a deal with Elijah … Of course, saving the world would be a lot easier without falling in love.

Alys Murray is back with another triumph, and it
✰♊ Angie ♊✰
Cute.
Short.
Just like the blurb says, very Hocus Pocus, Halloweentown like.
This reads like a made for TV Halloween special.
Nothing racy.
Very clean.
Cute for the season and a super quick read.
Stephanie
This is such a fun, frothy Halloween romance, utterly perfect for fans of Buffy or Charmed. The heroine, Bel, is a witch raised in a magical community (think: a magical version of Stars Hollow) by her fabulous adoptive aunts Nora and Sheba (an angel and a demon, respectively), both of whom I adored; the hero, Eli, is a surprisingly sweet (once you get to know him), nerdy, human witch-hunter who's been after her for years; and they have to work together to defeat a supernatural crisis at Hallowee ...more
Laurie Batzel
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read an ARC of this given by the author and this review is my unbiased opinion.

In Love Spells for the End of the World, Jezebel aka Bel is a bad witch with the best of intentions. By that I mean, she suffers from limited magical ability in a community where everyone is a magical creature. Hindered by severe anxiety, she finds that knitting scarves which she sells online provides relief of her symptoms. But when a portal to another realm opens up inside her house, Bel realizes that
Beth
Sep 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Happily the Witch Hunter wasn't what I expected based on the blurb.

Cute and quick, a nice story to curl up with on the couch.

Jackie
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic Halloween novella! A very relatable witch who it seems has trouble with anxiety for many reasons! One being she can’t fully cast spells like a real witch. Meanwhile she’s been watched by a witch hunter for many years and now together they face what may be the end of both their worlds ! Not only does this self doubting witch find her magic but she finds something that she has only dreamed of-love! Absolutely loved this! Everything Alys writes is amazing! And thrilled to read my first ...more
Lucy Hudson
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I adored this book. I love Halloween, autumn, and witches, so really it was the perfect book for me to curl up with this September and devour! It's basically Halloweentown but with a sweet love story and a little more quirk in the mix. The world is really well-developed without any information dumping, the chemistry between Bel and Eli very sweet and believable, and the setting descriptions are perfect. If you are looking for a Halloween romance to make you feel nice and cozy, grab this one!
Biscuits & Bodices
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
An Eliza Review:

Love Spells for the End of the World by @WriterAlys

Ratings (out of 5)
Worldbuilding: 🏗🏗🏗🏗
Chemistry: ❤❤❤
Fun: 💃🏻💃🏻💃🏻💃🏻💃🏻

The town of Leyton is home to magical creatures of all kinds. It’s unreachable by humans except for one day a year - Halloween. Jezebel Hallow is a witch, but not a very good one. Years ago, her world got rocked when a Witch Hunter moved in across the street on the human side of the magical border. Elijah Thorne ha
Suzanne
Sep 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Halloween romance that isn't terrifying is a rarity, but this book delivers! It's an enemies-to-lovers story between a witch and a witch-hunter, both of whom are not very good at their jobs. Bel struggles with anxiety and accidentally knits all her anxiety into the scarves she's been selling on Etsy. When an Ancient buys one and views it as a declaration of war, the Ancient attacks Bel's hometown of Leyton (ley lines, get it) and Bel must team up with Elijah to save the world. As you do.
There w
Elley Murray
Rating: 2.5 stars

This is a great enemies to lovers story about a witch and her witch hunter neighbor. The storyline itself is really cute, and I love the very Halloweentown vibe. Bel is so sweetly anxious, and I adore Eli's brand of sexy danger meets mismatched-socks-wearing nerd. Their dynamic is so cute, and this story has oodles and oodles of potential.

The problem for me lies in the execution. It reads a lot like a first draft that didn't get the edits it needed. There are places where the pa
Christine
Oct 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was such a cute, quick read! If you like Halloweentown and OG Sabrina then you will love this!

Jezebel is a witch, not a very good witch, living in the magical town of Leyton separated from the human world. Bel was such a lovable character. Since she can't just magic anything she wants into a existence she sells magical scarves on Etsy to make money. Elijah is a broody, witch hunter that moves into the house next to Bel's on the other side of the barrier and has been plotting her
Courtney Watson
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love Spells for the End of the World is a delightful Halloween novella full of witchy fun. Bel and Eli are winning characters with a magical spark and sizzling chemistry, and I loved watching their relationship develop. There is also a lot of magic in Murray's world-building, which evokes elements of the fantastic at their spell-binding best. I also loved the openness and diversity of the characters; in the enchanting town of Leyton, Murray has built a magical world that is truly for everyone. I ...more
Caz Avery
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Definitely my favourite of Alys Murray's work so far (and I've really enjoyed all the others!). Bel was fun and realistic, even if part of me queries her parents naming her Jezebel *before* they knew she was a witch? Perhaps she chose it herself and it wasn't mentioned, either way, I really like her. I also really believed the romance and I thought Eli was just the sweetest a lot of the time - especially towards the end but I don't want to spoil anyone!
I enjoyed the setting and the supporting c
Stephanie
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a really cute story about a witch who falls in love with a witch Hunter after she knits her anxiety into all of her scarves that she sold on Etsy. An ancient witch buys one of her scarves and feels her magic and takes it as a sign of war and comes after Bel and her small town and with Elijah's help they do. Wonderful read can't wait to read more.

Leigh Kramer
Despite the odds being against a witch and witch-hunter ever working out and the high stakes of a hellmouth opening up in Bel’s house, this proved to be a cute, enjoyable Halloween romance novella! Elijah was so adorably nerdy despite his profession and I was delighted when they had to turn to each other in order to save the town and the world.

CW: parental abandonment, anxiety
Lora Edwards
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love Halloween it is my favorite holiday and one of my favorite things is to read Halloween themed books. This one was perfect. It was a cute and fun read set in an awesome little town. I hope the author decides to write more about. This one is a must read for the halloween season.

I revived an ARC from Booksprout and I am voluntarily leaving a review.
Savannah Hendricks
Leyton, the town in which the story is set paints a vivid picture in the mind of the reader. The world created is as magical as Halloween. This story takes Hocus Pocus and mixes in some Buffy the Vampire Slayer for the perfect October read. Who would have thought a love story could take place during such a spooky time of year, well Alys proved it could be done.
Lynn
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cute Halloween themed romance between witch Bel and witch hunter Elijah. Enjoyable read, great characters. Loved Bel’s teacup dragon familiar. I received a free copy of this book via Booksprout and am voluntarily leaving a review.
Rachel Wagner
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
A lot of creativity and fun romance. Enjoyable read
Melissa
Shelves: booksprout
Dorky, fun, quirky and frothy Halloween romance! Enemies to lovers trope as Eli is a witch hunter and Bel is a witch. Cute and charming read.

Paige Watson
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Alright, this book was SO CUTE! It was really short, but perfect for the Halloween season! Romance, spookiness, and the end of the world - what's not to love?
Jacqui
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
ADORABLE! I loved this. More please?
Lisa
Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Set during Halloween, Love Spells for the End of the World has everything you would want to get you into the mood for the Spooky Season-- witches, magic, swoony book boyfriends, and TWO of my most favorite romantic tropes EVER, enemies to lovers, and well, I can’t tell you the other trope because that would give too much away. Let’s just say that there’s a reveal moment where I legit gasped out loud.

Set in the fictional town of Leyton, Jezebel “Bel” Marilyn Hallow is prepping for the annual Hal
J.
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a fun read! Witches, romance, and the end of the world - perfect for Halloween. The town of Leyton reminded me of Halloweentown, which added to the charm of this story. I recommend for anyone who loves romance mixed with magic and a twist of spooky.
Ashley
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
*4.5 stars
This was the perfect book for this time of year and just put me in the best mood for Fall and Halloween! If you loved the quirky Halloweentown movie as a kid (and still now!) you will love this book! Jezebel is such a likable heroine and I loved her relationship with her aunts.
The setting of the magical town of Leyton was so well described and I could definitely picture this picture perfect magical town.
The romance between Bel and Eli was just adorable and had me rooting for them!

O
Karla Lopez
Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Omg this book was such a cute read. I don’t often read Halloween fantasy/romantic books, but this one was so much fun to read. If you guys like stories like Halloween town( which is my favorite) you would love this book. It was also such a easy and quick read. Something you can read when you want to cozy up in blankets with coffee and finish in one sitting.

Bel and Eli’s relationship omg I swoon. They had the whole she’s a witch and he’s a witch hunter thing going and they hated each other, BUT
Xan West
Content Warnings (view spoiler)

This is a fun Halloween romp. There are some holiday romances that do a rather light touch with the holiday feels, but this book really leans into the Halloweenness in a way I definitely appreciated. That said, there were s
Joan
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
And they lived happily ever after.

I normally don’t read about witches or anything paranormal. But I started this book and didn’t want to stop reading. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Eli and Bel finally find the truth and save the world. Hallelujah! And they lived happily ever after.
Tia
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
Look at this adorable cover?! And what a cute premise: witch teams up with witch hunter to save the world? Yes, please! But unfortunately, this book was full of plot holes, had very little character development, and was full of typos.
Linda Maples
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Halloween Love

Cute Halloween love story that can be appreciated by old and young audiences alike. Could easily see this being a Disney/Pixar type movie for all ages.

• Halloween Boo (Holiday Hunk, #1)
  • Out of the Picture: A Shepherd Sisters Mystery
  • Of Blood, Earth, and Magic
  • A Royal Christmas Wish
  • Just One Night (Sex, Love & Stiletto, #3)
  • Love the One You're With (Sex, Love & Stiletto, #2)
  • The Trouble with Love  (Sex, Love & Stiletto, #4)
  • RUSH
  • After the Kiss (Sex, Love & Stiletto, #1)
  • Vengeful Vampire at Wonky Inn: Wonky Inn Book 8
  • Pumpkin Patch Murder (Wicked Good Mystery #7)
  • I Wish You Were Mine (Oxford, #2)
  • The Carpenter's Bride: Clean Beach Romance in Getaway Bay (Brides & Beaches Romance Book 6)
  • The Rockstar's Bride: Clean Beach Romance in Getaway Bay (Brides & Beaches Romance Book 5)
  • What Do You See? (What Do You, #1)
  • Gram Croakies (Enchanting Inquiries #3)
  • Someone like You (Oxford, #3)
  • The Widow of Rose House
Alys Murray is an author who writes for the romantic in all of us. Though she graduated with a degree in Drama from NYU’s Tisch School of the Arts and a Master’s in Film Studies from King’s College London, her irrepressible love of romance led her to a career as an author, and she couldn’t be happier to write these stories!

Her debut novel, The Christmas Company, will be adapted as a fi