Start by marking “The Ninth Session” as Want to Read:

The Ninth Session

An edge-of-your-seat psychological thriller that brings a unique mix of Psychotherapy, American Sign Language and Coda Culture. Just when you think you have it figured out, think again!

Dr. Alicia Reese takes on a new patient. Lucas Ferro suffers with crippling anxiety, and as sessions progress, he begins to share the reasons why he's struggling. As Ferro's narrative
Published September 26th 2019 by TouchPoint Press

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Sep 26, 2019
    HOLIDAY BOOK GIVEAWAY

Win one autograph copy of the award winning suspense thriller "THE NINTH SESSION" by Deborah Serani.

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 1 copy available, 1293 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Nov 30 - Dec 30, 2019

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about The Ninth Session, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ninth Session

Start your review of The Ninth Session
    Shalini
    A very different book, I would say. It was a psychological thriller where the suspense ebbed and flowed like the waves. And I was standing alone on the beach long after the tide moved far away.

Psychologist Dr. Alicia Rees met the patient Luke Ferro outside her office, having a panic attack. She helped him through it, and their sessions started which led them to the edge of the cliff...

My first book by the author Deborah Serani, at less than 200 pages, it was short yet read long. The reveals by
    Cheryl
    Oct 20, 2019 rated it liked it
    This book is my kind of reading. I like the concept of the way the book was written. Each chapter is broken out into a therapy session between Alicia and Lucas. Then at the end of each session are Alicia's notes on Lucas as well as supervision.

I did find Lucas's story interesting but at the same time I struggled to connect on a very close emotional level with him and Alicia. In fact, I wanted more from Alicia. I thought with her background of coming from parents who were deaf and learning sign
    Laura Thomas
    Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: thriller
    First off, I have to mention the cover. How perfect for this suspenseful story. And a psychological thriller it is. From the opening scene where Dr. Alicia Reese finds her new patient having a full blown panic attack, I could tell the author was writing from personal knowledge about dealing with situations like this.

Hopefully, not quite like this. The patient is seriously disturbed and the more sessions they have, the more dark it becomes. Soon Alicia is put in an ethical position that could
    Jasmine
    Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    The Ninth Session is a pretty interesting psychological thriller that will keep readers on their toes.

The story is written in "sessions" as the main character, Dr. Alicia Reese, takes on a new patient and starts to uncover his secrets and earn his trust. After each session, Dr. Reese details her thoughts about her new patient and how she plans to proceed. There are also chapters that detail her life outside of work, including visiting her deaf sister, interacting with her neighbors and their
    Becky Baldridge
    Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
    The Ninth Session is well-written, and the story did capture my attention. That said, it falls a bit short of being the edge of your seat psychological thriller that is promised. It is a psychological thriller, but the pacing is a little too slow for that edge of your seat feeling. Nevertheless, Serani does create a slowly rising tension as the story progresses. I would've liked a little more from Alicia in the beginning. The sessions are all very succinct, which I understand is due to
    Jody Joy
    Wow, a psychological thriller is a perfect description of The Ninth Session. Serani does not disappoint on the thrills or suspense right up to the end. The Ninth Session is an easy and fast read. I could not put it down after the first chapter, a definite page-turner.

Dr. Alicia Reese takes on a new patient, Lucas Ferro who suffers from severe anxiety. The more he shares with Alicia the more dangerous her world becomes. If you love a riveting psychological thriller as I do you will not want to
    Sarebear
    Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
    I started this on Saturday, late, got in a few chapters. Nestled into a plush blanket last night with this arctic cold, I dived in again, and had to stay up until the wee hours of the morning to finish! I kept thinking, "I need to go to sleep!" But then . . "I gotta know what happens next!".

I have read a bunch of thrillers with psychologist as main character, by Stephen White, and someone else who most people would recognize but escapes my fibro fog brain at present. I feel The Ninth Session was
    Lynn Reynolds
    Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Dr. Alicia Reese allows the reader to sit in on her sessions with a patient, Lucas Ferro. Usually what happens between a therapist and her patient are kept confidential. But it seems as if she wants us to know what is going on so that we may make our own conclusions about Mr. Ferro. And we get her impression and interpretation to help us.

I enjoyed how the author set up her “chapters” or should I say sessions. But besides the sessions, we get a peek into her life once she meets her latest client.
    Sara Strand
    Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
    I really liked this one and I think the fact that the author herself is a psychologist and professor really helps keep this feeling possible. It feels very much like actual sessions and the dialogue felt plausible, and that I appreciated. I liked that this one kept me up far past my bedtime because I had to know what was going to happen to Luke because I almost started feeling sorry for him. I mean, its hard to not feel bad for someone who never really had a chance to begin with to be better. ...more
    Sherry Fundin
    Doctor Alicia Reese suffered the devastating loss of her husband and was in a delicate place when Lucas walked into her office with paralyzing panic attacks.

I was reading along, then went back to the blurb, wondering if this book was going to be about love, loss and recovery and just a ho hum read, WHEN it took a sharp turn.

I had a general idea of where Deborah Serani was going to take me, but after the phone call…that revved it up for me.

I was very curious how it would all play out because it’s
    Just another reader
    Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Dr. Reese gets a lot more than what she asked for, when she signs up a new patient, Ferro. As each session progresses, she discovers gruesome and horrifying truths and comes across revelations she wish she didn't. As she's caught in a dilemma between doctor-patient confidentiality ethics and her inner conscience, we get to see what prevails at the end.
    This was a brilliant piece of thriller fiction written in piece-narration form. Serani has chosen to present the book as a log of the sessions
    Diane A.
    Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I usually do not write reviews, but in the case of THE NINTH SESSION, I am making an exception. I was absolutely blown away by the dangerous world Deborah Serani created, and her strong female lead character. Hoping this little jewel will be picked up and made into a film or basis of a series. Bravo!
    Margaret Eagler
    Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Excellent!

Got my attention on the first page. I truly hope there's a follow-up - I am curious about her future!
    Mike
    Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I could not put this book down. Fast-paced, fascinating, and suspenseful psychological thriller told from the perspective of one who's been there, done it. The story draws the readers into an asynchronous world where flawed characters pull the plot forward on both conscious and subconscious levels--twist after twist after twist. A bold glimpse behind the psychologist's privacy curtain allows the reader to see her treatment notes and experience the transference and countertransference as she ...more
    Toni Klingler
    Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    The Ninth Session is intriguing and engaging from the start. If you enjoy psychological thrillers, this book will not disappoint. Deborah Serani is a brilliant writer, unfolding shocking twists, pathology and dark secrets in this compelling story. I hope there is a follow up. This is truly one of the best psychological thrillers I have read - Toni Klingler.
    Holly
    Nov 03, 2019
    Mica
    Oct 05, 2019
    Deborah
    Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
    jeff lachter

• The Words Between Us
    • Invisible as Air
    • The Thankful Unicorn
    • The Witch Port Video Game
    • Cleaning the Gold (Jack Reacher, #23.6; Will Trent, #8.5)
    • The End and Other Beginnings: Stories from the Future
    • Give and Take
    • Into Bones like Oil
    • Seven Sides of Self: Stories
    • Witches Protection Program
    • Santa and the Secret: STEALING GIFTS IS NOT FESTIVE (DI Bethany Smith Book 7)
    • National Geographic Atlas of the National Parks
    • The Unfaithful Widow Ten Years Later
    • A Lady's Past (Everton Domestic Society, #4)
    Deborah Serani is the author of the award-winning nonfiction books, "Living with Depression," "Depression and Your Child: A Guide for Parents and Caregivers" and "Depression in Later Life" published by Rowman & Littlefield.

Her debut psychological suspense thriller "The Ninth Session," published by TouchPoint Press arrives in paperback and ebook on September 27, 2019. And her first in a series