Start by marking “Marisol: Spanish Rose (Charleston Brides #1)” as Want to Read:
Marisol: Spanish Rose (Charleston Brides #1)

Marisol: Spanish Rose (Charleston Brides #1)

Escaping to the New World is her only option...Rescuing her will wrap the chains of the Inquisition around his neck.

Marisol Valentin flees Spain after murdering the nobleman who molested her. She ends up for sale on the indentured servants' block at Charles Town harbor—dirty, angry, and with child. Her hopes are shattered, but she must find a refuge for herself and the
Published November 12th 2019 by Wild Heart Books

To ask other readers questions about Marisol, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Marisol

Start your review of Marisol: Spanish Rose (Charleston Brides #1)
MaryLu Tyndall
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What do you get when you cross a Spanish lady on the run for murder with a handsome pirate who used to be a priest? A great adventurous romance with tons of twists and turns, romance, danger, suspense, and well, everything you'd want in a good book. I immediately connected with the characters, felt sympathy for them, and rooted for them as they faced one harrowing situation after another. Rarely does a book keep me on the edge of my seat through the entire story! Ms. Martin has a real knack for ...more
Melissa Henderson
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Action and intrigue from the first page. Marisol has to make the best decisions for herself and her son. Her life is filled with danger and uncertainties, but she will do anything to provide protection for the ones she cares about. The author gives great details that brought the scenes to life. I could picture the ships, the stables, the homes and Marisol. I look forward to reading more by Elva Cobb Martin. I was given a complimentary copy of the book. No review was required.
Denise Weimer
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
You’ll almost smell the salt in the air as you set sail on the Dryade with Ethan Becket and Marisol Valentin. From Spain to Charles Town to Cartagena, the English captain and Spanish beauty attempt to outrun their pain and secrets, only to find the strength to face their pasts together, in the light of God’s forgiveness and love. High seas adventure and romance by Elva Cobb Martin you don’t want to miss!

I was given an advance reader copy of this title by the author but not required to leave a
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Several things drew me to this book. It is the first in Elva Cobb Martin’s new Charleston Brides series, and when possible, I like to start at the beginning of a series. It is also set during the Colonial era, which I always enjoy reading about, and the book summary sounded interesting. Had I not been given the opportunity to review it, I probably would not have picked this one up, and as I have mentioned before, this is one of the best parts of being a book reviewer. I try to challenge myself ...more
Sally
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An event beyond Marisol's control sets her on a different course. She must hide who she really is. If anyone finds out what she's done, her life will be over. Captain Ethan buys her as an indentured servant, to be a governess to his son. When he gets another lead as to where his sister might be, Marisol is the only person who can help him find her.

I love this story by Elva Cobb Martin. After Marisol has to kill a man to protect her honor, finds herself with child, and is bought and paid for,
Bess
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
Knowing my love for books upon the open sea, Marylu suggested this one after she finished it. I didn't realize that I've read one of Ms. Martin's books prior.
I thoroughly enjoyed this read. It hits the ground running for life, literally! Take that and then add miscreants, slavery, privateers, and lots of adventure on the ocean, and I'm sold!
I enjoyed Marisol's story. Her love and devotion to a child born out of violence. I loved that she could see beyond the horrid experience and cherish life.
MaryAnn Bell
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Escaping to the New World is her only option…Rescuing her will wrap the chains of the Inquisition around his neck.

Marisol Valentin flees Spain after murdering the nobleman who molested her. She ends up for sale on the indentured servants’ block at Charles Town harbor—dirty, angry, and with child. Her hopes are shattered, but she must find a refuge for herself and the child she carries. Can this new land offer her the grace, love, and security she craves? Or must she escape again to her only
Deana Dick
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The story is set against the high seas on an adventure that is filled with danger and secrets. I loved how the author made you fill like you were on the ship as it rocked back and forth. There was little room to move around in the cabins and it was filled with unruly men at times. Marisol was such a wonderful character. Her beauty was witnessed by many and her ability to defend herself remarkable. It was not easy to read about a horrible attack she endured and I wanted to scream at the man who ...more
Kimmie
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
This story was such a unique combination of different cultures and historical facts.

Elva Cobb Martin wrote a story that combines rich Spanish history, travel on the high seas (PIRATES!), the American indentured, murder, romance and God’s will in our lives. The main characters Ethan and Marisol had interesting backstories that made them stronger. They were a cute couple to get to know, although at first, I was not sure where Elva Cobb Martin was taking them. By then end of the book I genuinely
Erin
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: celebrate-lit
My Thoughts on Marisol Spanish Rose:
I love a good romance novel. Add in a bit of mystery and danger and I’m hooked for the duration!

This book was very well written. The characters really drew me in and wouldn’t let me go. I had to keep reading to find out what happens to Marisol and if Ethan ever gets his sister back. And most importantly if everyone ends up happily ever after in the end!

Definitely a book I recommend. Also, make sure you have time to read for hours when you start this book
Amy
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you are looking for an adventurous read with characters that have to overcome a great deal of adversity, then Marisol Spanish Rose may be just the read you are looking for. I enjoy a good romantic swashbuckling adventure with pirates/privateers, ship battles, espionage, and spying. Throw in political intrigue and this read certainly delivers that and more.

The story starts right off with Marisol having survived an attack and just when she and her maid decide to runaway, things go from bad to
Melissa Wardwell
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Get ready to embark on a high sea adventure that covers three continents and several ship ports in Marisol: Spanish Rose.

I wasn’t sure what to expect when I began this journey with Marisol as I’ve never read anything by Elva Cobb Martin. Wow, was I surprised by what I found within these pages. Harrowing rescues, broken hearts, adventurous sea travel, a young woman trapped in several life threatening situations, and a pastor turned privateer with a heart of gold.

When the story begins, you find
Ebos Aifuobhokhan
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh, I love a swords-woman.
Marisol expert swords-woman and horsewoman.
This book was very educative to read; the growth of the church in the 18th century. The scarce availability of the English Bible and how the Bible was heavy protected to avoid it been destroyed to be able to get to those who needed it. Reading and thinking about the endless availability of the Bible now is so thrilling on how God works.

Marisol was reeling from great loss and running from a life in Spain when she met the Captain
Valri Western
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love Historical Fiction. When I first read the synopsis of this book, I wasn't sure if this would be the type of book I would like. I was so very wrong! This book is epic, amazing, sweeping in nature and historic! I don't know how else to describe it! Once I started it, I was transported back to a time in history that I knew little about but wanted to know more. Marisol became a real woman to me and what a strong woman she was! So many things happened to her to knock her down but she never let ...more
Donna C
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What I think you should know:
Marisol Spanish Rose is the first book in the Charleston Brides series by Elva Cobb Martin. It is a historical fiction, set in the early 1740s. Marisol flees Spain after she murders a man in self defense after he attacked her, only to be captured by slavers and pirates. While the start of the book is in Spain the majority of it takes place across the Atlantic in Charles town and Cartagena.

What you might want to know:
What an adventure! Marisol is a woman who
Jane
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Marisol - Spanish Rose was an “I can’t put this down” read. Elva Cobb Martin has created believable and endearing characters. Marisol and Ethan are characters with personality traits many readers will be able to relate to. They have both been disappointed by life events and have turned to the Lord to help them overcome those disappointments. They have also both acted in their own strength and wisdom, but turned to the Lord for His wisdom.
Martin includes a “Vocabulary Appendix” to help readers
Nyla
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
From the first page I was hooked. This is a Christian Historical Romance and has everything needed to be a page turner. I could not put the book down.

The author is an excellent storyteller. Her tale would twist and turn. Most characters were endearing. The villains were as detestable as they should be. The main characters Marisol and Ethan were complex and made the story intriguing.

Author Martin has a nice writing style. Her book was well thought and written with twists and surprises that made
Marguerite Gray
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was so excited to read this novel for many reasons. The historical element intrigues me as its set in colonial Charles Town, SC at a time when death is prevalent. Babies, children, and young wives dies from diseases and complications. Because of this the opportunity comes around often for second time love. How would it feel to not have the chance to live to an old age?

I love the Spanish element as Marisol travels from Spain hoping to start a new life in Cartagena. Her life takes a different
Rebecca Tews
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
WOW. Just WOW. This book was absolutely amazing. From the first sentence, I was hooked. And the more I got into it, the less I wanted to put it down. Needless to say, I loved this book.

Marisol is definitely an interesting lead character. Her story itself is intriguing and her strength and confidence throughout is admirable. Ethan, the main lead male character, isn’t my favorite but he clearly cares for Marisol and would do anything to help her.

Following these characters is exciting. There is
Patti Pierce
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Full of danger, excitement, adventure, and more this book captured my attention from the moment I began reading it. Marisol Valentin has been molested and must leave her family’s estate. With both of our parents deceased, she has only her maid to accompany her. But from the start of the story, Marisol faces danger head on with courage.

Captain Ethan Becket left the priesthood to become a sailor after his beloved wife died along with their unborn baby. Her death leaves him to raise their son
Psusan
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Marisol ~ Spanish Rose is the first book by Elva Cobb Martin that I have had the pleasure to read. It is a swashbuckling adventure of a determined woman to overcome all that has endured while also finding God’s grace is an action-packed story.

It has known bad guys from history those of the Inquisition period and other villains that have often preyed on women. The characters are courageous but intriguing. Take Captain Ethan Becket for example, a former pastor who is now a privateer, that just
Betti
What a fabulous way to spend an afternoon! The author had my attention from the moment young Marisol came running into the house covered in blood and certainly kept my focus right up till the end of this wonderful tale. There is a beautiful, well-bred Spanish lady, a defrocked priest that has become a privateer and a whole array of wonderful characters that work out the many plots in this well written novel.

Traveling from 1740’s Spain to Charles Town to Cartagena there is adventure, danger,
Cindy Harris
Nov 19, 2019 rated it liked it
The writing was good. I feel like there was much more to this book before the editing process. It seems as though some characters were never fully developed, while some of the side characters were overdone. I would have liked to have seen more of the relationships and how they grew between the main characters. There were introduction of new characters that appeared as though they would be strong, but then fell flat. One even died not long after we learned so much about her. Also, there were some ...more
Katie
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved Marisol as a person so much! She immediately grabbed me from page one. I really enjoyed the historical depth our author gave us and I really want to visit Spain now! I enjoyed the slow bloom of romance and faith that we get to watch unfold, and I enjoyed seeing Marisol and Ethan emerge from their own grief. I found the book to be quite adventurous as well, and I know for sure sea travel on an old-fashioned ship would certainly not be my cup of tea. I found the story to seem a nice pace, ...more
Melissa
Nov 18, 2019 rated it liked it
This was an interesting read. I enjoyed the journey we took took through the pages.

The opening scene is definitely an attention grabber. I was so worried throughout the book this what happened in the opening pages would come back and get Marisol. I also worried about the lies she had to tell to survive and how Ethan would respond when he found out.

I didn't care for Ethan's attraction to his cousin when just a few pages before he said he couldn't get past his decease wife death to look at Marisol
Maureen Timerman
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
From the first page to the last this book will keep you riveted, with non-stop action, and you won’t see most of it coming.
This is a quick read, read it in a few hours, and couldn’t put it down, I knew how I wanted it to end, but was filled was surprises.
Just when you think things are calming down, wow, hold on to your hat, your off on another journey.
We find along the way a renewed hope of faith, and God is with these people everywhere.
We travel among the continents, beginning in Spain, North
Amy
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Marisol: Spanish Rose the exciting first installment from Elva Cobb Martin’s new series, Charleston Brides. Marisol finds herself fleeing from her home in Spain as a wanted woman for murder. She crosses the Atlantic and to become an indentured servant. Will she be able to find a second chance or have to flee again for her life?

Marisol: Spanish Rose has a lot of what I love in a book. Which includes: history, action, adventure, romance, high seas and pirates. Throw in beautiful Charles Town and
Becca (Reflections From My Bookshelves)
I liked this book a lot. It was really neat to have the setting of the book in several locations. I learned more about the Spanish culture and that time period. Elva Cobb Martin did a good job creating her characters. I enjoyed getting to know Marisol and Ethan better. I felt like the story flowed wIell and was filled with action and romance. Elva weaved good solid Bibical truth throughout the story. I think the reader can learn along with the characters valuable lesssons.

I reccomend this book
Tammy
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you like a good historical romance, then Marisol is your book. With a little romance mixed with a tad of suspense, the book will keep you in until you read that last page. There were many twists and surprises to keep you guessing. And when you thought you had it figured out, you find you didn't! The author kept my attention and I didn't put the book down until I had finished it. I look forward to the next book in the series.

Disclaimer: I have received a Digital copy of this book from the
Debbie
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"Marisol Spanish Rose" by Elva Cobb Martin kept me turning the pages till the end. I recommend this book to anyone that like pirates and sea adventures. The main male character is a pirate type of person but not really a pirate. He was a preacher before he turned to the seas.

How long can Marisol keep her secrets?

A couple of scenes in this book made me really sad, like when Marisol meets Amy and others.

This book is proof that God can make beauty from ashes and that He uses all things for good.

I

• Lake Season (Bluebell Inn Romance #1)
  • Love's Allegiance
  • The Painted Castle (Lost Castle #3)
  • Aiming for Love (Brides of Hope Mountain, #1)
  • Smoke Screen
  • Essential Oils: God’s Extravagant Provision for Your Health
  • The Bright Unknown
  • Hope's Highest Mountain (Heirs of Montana, #1)
  • A Promise to Break (The Promise #1)
  • Significant: Becoming a Woman of Unique Purpose, True Identity, and Irrepressible Hope
  • Deadly Christmas Pretense (Roughwater Ranch Cowboys #2)
  • Practically Married
  • Choices (A Joyful Cup Story Book 1)
  • The Freedom Challenge: 60 Days to Untie The Cords That Bind You
  • Lawfully Innocent
  • Surf Smugglers (The Legacy of Sunset Cove #3)
  • Mission Hollywood: A Red Carpet Romance
  • Darcy By Any Other Name
Elva Cobb Martin's passion is to write adventurous, romantic novels that not only entertain, but celebrate the moral truths found in classic fiction. Truths like honor and respect, fidelity and reverence. She lives in the South Carolina upstate with her husband and a mini-dachshund. For more information visit her web site at: elvamartin.com.