Start by marking “The Marine in Unit A (Mockingbird Place, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Marine in Unit A (Mockingbird Place, #1)

The Marine in Unit A

(Mockingbird Place #1)

The man who has been more of a dad to me than my biological father is dead.

He rescued me from the streets six years ago—a runaway teenage boy, escaping a family who thought I was an abomination.

Now what do I do? I have no one.

My life might look great from the outside. I’m in college. I have my own apartment. I have lots of friends.

But I’m dying on the inside.

I feel so
Published September 15th 2015 (first published September 8th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Marine in Unit A, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Marine in Unit A

Start your review of The Marine in Unit A (Mockingbird Place, #1)
Fabi
This book pissed me off from the very beginning.

If a man says he's not gay, it's not up to another person to say he is and ignore the other's words.

MC1: "I'm not gay."
MC2: "Oh, but I know you are even if we just met. Come out to a gay bar with us."
MC1: "No thank you."
MC2: "Come on, it'll be fun." He thinks to himself "he's gay and I'm going to prove it to him."

Me: I'm so done.

DNF at 7%
Debra
Started off with a very emotional scene, but lost me as it went on. Interesting set up as far as the residents of the apartment complex go, but I didn't feel a connection between the MC's and the story got a little over the top towards the end.
Candice
Why did this feel icky to me? I just got a nasty taste in my mouth when Oliver claimed to only date closeted guys to make them comfortable in their skin and then basically leaves. WTF?! Seriously. It almost felt to me like he was outing these guys and then turning his back on them. Yeah, I didn't like it.

let me love you photo: Let me love you 265591.gif

Then the whole Adam thing in the beginning "is he gay?" "I want to be his boyfriend for like a month or two". Within minutes of meeting Oliver is all like "will I be able to chip away the
Katrina Passick Lumsden
I'm putting this on my Read shelf, but not adding it to my count for the reading challenge because, and I'll openly admit it, I didn't even make it halfway through before I started skimming. I need to create a Bad Dialogue shelf. This would definitely go on it. It's cheesy and mechanical and oversharey. Not to mention the plot isn't really compelling at all, and the character's motives don't make much sense. Adam's in the closet because he overheard his grandfather telling gay jokes and because ...more
Denise - Shh Mom's Reading®
3.5 stars http://amzn.to/1N0xzuz
The Marine in Unit A opens up with a heart pulling scene and as this part of the story builds, the reader learns that the residents of Mockingbird Place are family to each other. This part of the story was so well done, Mr. Cook bonded each character to the reader with glimpses into their backstory.
The reader soon learns that Oliver, the man we meet when the book opens, was disowned by his family and taken in by the now deceased owner of Mockingbird Place.
Jaime
Sep 03, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The Marine In Unit A
Author: Kris Cooke
Genre: male/male, coming out
Stars: 2
I am not quite sure what to say about this book. It is written in a manner that doesn't allow the reader to connect, it is very unrealistic with the main characters proclaiming their love immediately to each other. The conflicts in the book are not emotion evoking and the resolution is very anticlimactic. I have to give this book a 2 star rating and say it needs some more plot development and maybe a little more story.

Philomena Callan Cheekypee
This is the first book by this author but it certainly won't be the last as this was a fab read.

The story starts off with an emotional scene. Oliver is distraught that his father figure Malcolm has died. Adam is the Marine in Unit A. Both deal with their sexuality differently. Can they help each other deal with their pain and find happiness?

This is a well written heart warming story that I really enjoyed. Looking forward to reading more of this series. Loved it.
A Girl Has No Name
2.5 stars!

Not too bad, a good read for on the way, but nothing really special. I always had the feeling that the story line in itself had potential for a better story, if the reactions/emotions of the MC's would have felt more credible.
Niccisbookblog
MY REVIEW
I liked this book i thought the story line was ok, but there wasnt much to get your teeth into.
The characters were nice, good guys and i liked Adams journey, but i felt like i couldnt really connect with them.
Im not sure how to explain it, i think this book was one of those that is good but you stay on the surface of the story, i didnt feel drawn into it. Which is not a bad thing if you want a quick easy light read but if you looking for characters and a plot that pulls you
Roger - president of NBR United -
Nov 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Roger - president of NBR United - by: Anna
Loved this book and every time I read a story with a character's back story like Oliver's I thank god for the family I have. Military back ground for Adam give him areason to be closeted but will he nil he people who know what they are looking for an are observant will realize what he tries so hard to mask.
Coco.V
Aug 28, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebie
FREE on Amazon today (8/28/2019)! ...more
Beth
Nov 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
4 Can I Borrow A Cup of Sugar? Stars

It's nice to have nice neighbors, ya know? The kind that lets you borrow a cup of sugar. Or picks up your mail when you are gone. Or is a smokin' hot Marine. Yes, that is a great neighbor.

Oliver is going through a transition in his life. His mentor and friend has passed away. The guy who saw him through some tough times. But fortunately he has some great neighbors in his complex. They are more like family than just neighbors.

Blood isn't thicker than water,
Cheryl
Sep 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manlove, sept-2015, arc
OMGoodness, I freaking loved this book! Oliver and Adam are such great characters, and I thought the story line was fantastic. The way Kris Cook wrote about Adam’s disability was mesmerizing. And even though Malcolm death is how the book starts off, he was written as such a great influence on the people of Mockingbird Place. This is a start to a wonderful new series that I can’t wait to read more of in the future.
****This book was given for my honest review by Enticing Journey Promotions*****
DTM
Sep 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book and the set up for the series...I felt there could have been more showing how Adam and Oliver fell in love instead of jumping to tell us they were in love but needed to get through the miscommunications...but that won't deter me from reading the next one as I enjoyed the writing..I'm really looking forward to it!!
I Dream of Dragons and Unicorns
What on earth did I just read? Wait, don't answer that, I have an idea. This was horrible. I'm highly confident that men, NO men, talk like this. I can't call this "chicks with dicks", because I'm positive no women talk like this either!! This book ... No. Just no :-/. Shame!
Paul
Sep 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bought_it
OMG! Kris Cook is a new-to-me author and I'm hooked. I loved the MCs, enjoyed the storyline and can't wait for the next book in the series.
Ottilee B.
This is the story of Oliver and Adam, the new tenant to Mockingbird Place- who interrupts a memorial to move in. Oliver falls insta-love with him but is unsure if he's gay but this problem pales (to me anyway) in regards to his outlook. As a former Marine, Adam lost his leg in his second tour and hasn't made peace with that reality ("truth") yet. Oliver has his own truth he hasn't shared with people but they finally do and all is well.
Barbara Ingram
Aug 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Feel good story!

I love short story romances and this one hit all the notes! Insightful look into the characters lives, the struggles that LGBT face, a little instalove, sexy scenes and a HFN ending! What more could you ask for? On to book 2!
Smut Hut
Sep 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Warning if you don't enjoy reading M/M or can't handle real life topics with an open mind read no further, but you will miss a story that covers so many topics we deal with on a daily basis. We've come pretty far in society, but have so much more room for improvements. In this book, we meet many characters (want to know more about Tony-hint hint) and the setting so realistic you can imagine yourself in this quaint apartment complex. It almost makes you wish it was real and believe this should be ...more
Laura Hampton
This is the first book I have read by Kris Cook and it was a cute, romantic read. I will definitely be looking into reading more of his work. It also happens to be the first M/M book I have read by a male author. It was interesting to see his thoughts and perspective on how the relationship between two men would play out.

Oliver has just buried the most important man in his life. At the age of 15 he found himself living on the street. He had come out to his parents and they could not live with
HEChapter -Tina J
** Kindly Provided via Promoter in Exchange for an Honest Review **

-- MY THOUGHTS >
Judging a Book by it's Cover:
Two men, awkwardly arranged above a lit skyline. In this case, it was the summary that caught my attention and begged a closer look.
Looking Deeper:
Written in a first-person POV from Oliver's perspective. Oliver's hurting from the fresh loss of the man who'd taken him in several years ago and became a father to him in all ways but blood. Adam is the new tenant, a former Marine
Jenn
Sep 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars

This book certainly starts with a punch to the heart! Oliver is mourning the death of his beloved friend Malcom, a man who was more of a father to him than his own was. Malcom owned a small apartment complex where Oliver lives with a close-knit group of people. A group that has created a family together. During the memorial for Malcom, up walks Adam, the new tenant who will be living in what was Malcom’s apartment.

Oliver came to his new family at Mockingbird Place after running away
Mandie Foxylutely
*ARC provided by author in exchange for an honest review

This is the start of a new series and focuses on the residents of Mockingbird Place, and here is Oliver and Adam’s story.

Oliver has lead a troubled and tortured past and was forced from his home at the tender age of thirteen. By fifteen he was out on the streets trying to survive but that was when Malcolm took him under his wing and brought him to Mockingbird Place. Here Oliver finally found his home where he belonged. The book opens on the
Tiffany Readz
Sep 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Marine in Unit A is a love story about Oliver and Adam, however Kris Cook gives his readers some insight into the LGBT community and what they face on a daily basis with friends and even family. I loved Mockingbird Place and the little map at the beginning of the book to show who lives where since the entire complex is involved in the story.

Oliver is only twenty-one, but is seasoned from his youth. Leaving home at a young age, Oliver learned the hard way that sometimes a parent's love isn't
Gay Media Review
Blog Post: http://gaymediareviews.weebly.com/blo...

The story begins with a heart wrenching scene and this is where the reader learns about Mockingbird Place and how the tenants are family to each other. Now we learn that Oliver has lost the only man who was ever a father figure to him and completely shatters everything that was good in his life. Malcolm owned Mockingbird Place. At the memorial Oliver meets the new tenant, Adam who will be occupying Malcolm's old place.

After Oliver has left his
multitaskingmomma
Original Blog Post: Blog Tour, eARC review, Excerpt & #Giveaway: The Marine in Unit A (A Mockingbird Place Book #1) by Kris Cook
Review by: multitaskingmomma
MyRating: 3.5 of 4 Stars

The marine In Unit A is a story of two young men who meet and fall in love instantly. Oliver may only be twenty one but he is one whose history made him very mature and maybe a bit sceptical of life in general. The man who treated him like a son just died recently and Oliver is feeling the pain of remembrance and
Dana Busenbark
This book deals with LGBTQIA as it's main genre. It is well written, and you can feel the intensity of the words and the emotions of the characters in the book. Especially Adam, who is the Marine that has moved into Unit A. It is interesting to realize why the name of a place hits you, like it could be familiar somehow, until the name of the town that it is set in is stated. Then you're thinking, I lived there! I suspect the location itself is fictional, while the town itself is very real, but ...more
The Smutbrarians
Panty Scorching: 5
Over All Rating: 4 Stars
Kindle eArc
Reviewed by Robin

Adam is a former marine injured in Afghanistan that moves into the vacant unit in Mockingbird Place. Oliver is a friendly gay man that is attracted to Adam but can’t tell if he’s in the closet or not. Adam runs hot and cold but can Oliver help heal whatever is ailing Adam or will they heal each other?

“Damn. Is he or isn’t he? The question keeps rolling around in my mind, driving me crazy.
Carra
Sep 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really good, quick read and the first book I've read by this author. I loved the quirky characters, and it's the characters that drew me in and will have me sticking with this series.

It's your classic one in the closet, one out setup with the added element of a close-knit group of friends that consider each other family to support the main characters. Oliver is seemingly self-assured and comfortable with who he is; he's out and proud of the fact that he likes to draw others out as
Jackie Wright
Sep 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 Star Review
I was given this book for a honest review
I have read other books by Kris Cook but I believe this is his first M/M story and what can I say he nailed it.
This Story is set in Mockingbird Place and we get to meet every tenant who lives there. We get a insight into each and everyone of them. This book also covers LGBTQIA and is set whilst waiting for congress to pass same sex marriage laws.
Oliver is a kind, loveable and caring guy who will help anyone but he is hurting over the loss of
« previous 1 3 next »

• Pink
  • Fire and Water (Carlisle Cops, #1)
  • Stick and Poke (Irons and Works, #5)
  • Homerun Daddy (Timberwood Cove, #1)
  • Made Marian Mixtape (Made Marian, #9)
  • Heart Strain (Interlocking Fragments #1)
  • Now You See Me
  • My Sister's Boyfriend
  • The Night (Love in O'Leary #5)
  • Boyfriend 101 (Fever Falls #6)
  • The Vampire's Club: Book One (The Vampire's Club #1)
  • Dads With Benefits (Fairview Single Dads, #1)
  • The Christmas Deal
  • Heteroflexible (Spruce Texas #3)
  • Something Borrowed (Fake It till You Make It #1)
  • Daddy Rules (Breaking the Rules #6)
  • Mr. Frosty Pants (Home for the Holidays, #1)
  • His Instant Family (Stories of Us, #2)
Though starting in straight erotic romance, Kris's total focus now is on gay romance. When asked why recently, his answer was "My muse finally came out of the closet. Isn't it about time? I've been out since I was twenty-five."

A voracious reader, Kris loves many genres of fiction, but this writer's favorite books are romances that are edgy, sexy, with rich characters and unique challenges. Kris'

Mockingbird Place (9 books)
  • The Cowboy in Unit E (Mockingbird Place, #2)
  • The Fireman in Unit C (Mockingbird Place #3)
  • The Doctor in Unit H (Mockingbird Place #4)
  • The Fighter in Unit J (Mockingbird Place #5)
  • The Musician in Unit G (Mockingbird Place Book 6)
  • The Cop in Unit B (Mockingbird Place, #7)
  • Holiday Beaus: A Mockingbird Place Novella
  • A Mockingbird Place Bundle (Mockingbird Place, #1-5 + bonus)