Start by marking “Belladonna (Ephemera, #2)” as Want to Read:
Belladonna (Ephemera, #2)

Belladonna

(Ephemera #2)

In Sebastian, national bestselling and award-winning author Anne Bishop introduced a stunning new realm, a world of strange and magical landscapes connected only by bridges - bridges that may transport you where you truly belong, rather than where you wished to go. But only the magic of the Landscapers can protect this world from the entity determined to enshroud it in dar ...more
Hardcover, First Edition, 436 pages
Published March 6th 2007 by Roc (first published March 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Belladonna, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Belladonna

Start your review of Belladonna (Ephemera, #2)
Angie
Jan 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book is all about discovering your strengths and who you are and who you are meant to be. Belladonna has always known she is the only one who can take on the Eater of the World. She is the only Guide of the Heart and Landscaper with the power and the connection to Ephemera to take It out of the world and stop it from destroying the Light. She thought when the Eater destroyed the Landscapers school (in book 1--Sebastian) that she was the only Landscaper left holding Ephemera together, but wh ...more
VMom
Jul 02, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
I liked this less than the first book. My main complaint is that the Eater of the World hardly seems a worthy world menace. It may also be that Gloriana/Belladonna and Michael are less empathetic main characters than Sebastian. The whole book felt a bit too cozy and family-type (wholesome?) than one would expect from the premise. The one part where it turns dark is over fairly quickly.
Allison Sesame
Passable, but not some of Anne Bishop’s best work. The pacing was not great and I struggled to care about Belladona or her story. Also, if one of my male cousins cared this much about controlling my sex life, I would punch him in the face.
Sense361
Sep 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, fantasy
Althogh the story started slow (in the beginning of Sebastian book), it continued into a great story. Anne Bishop has this gift of wordplay, some phrases get stuck with you for a long time in a good way. It is true that all characters have a hard childhood, but that only helps in bilding a strong personality.
Katie
Aug 22, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: gave-up
bad. characters are flat and story didnt move well. gave up.
keikii Eats Books
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
89 points/100 (4.5 stars/5)

The Eater of the World is still out there, and the people are falling to darkness. Glorianna Belladonna knows she is the one that will have to defeat this ancient evil. The call has gone out across Ephemera: "Heart's hope lies within Belladonna". Ephemera answers. When a new part of the world opens up to her, Glorianna has to believe that it holds the key to how she can accomplish this.

There was something about this book that didn't resonate with me as much as Sebasti
Debrac2014
Dec 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
The beginning moved slowly but the ending was wonderful!
J'aime
Aug 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, romance
I truly enjoyed Sebastian (Ephemera, Book 1), but forgot about this sequel since it came out a year after I finished book one. I finally picked it up and found it to be just as good, and I'm sorry I waited so long to read it. Though another book is expected, Bridge of Dreams in March 2012, this book provides enough closure that the series could end here (but I am glad it doesn't!).

A few reviewers felt that Sebastian was more paranormal romance than fantasy. I disagreed. However, I do feel that t
Cherry Mischievous
Fast-paced page-turner. The storytelling quality is very compelling, a 5 out of 5. Anne Bishop is one of those rare story tellers who draws you away and run away with you that you forget the time. You forget to eat. She draws a reader in so deeply that you can feel and hear the vibration as the demon motorcycles go by... World building is incredible, a 4.5 out of 5. I imagined that it would be difficult to convince readers to believe in a world of shifting geography. I scoffed when I first encou ...more
a_tiffyfit
Nov 02, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: re-readable
I don't know why this, along with Sebastian got such shoddy reviews from other Bishop readers. Okay, okay, okay...so it wasn't as in depth, rich, and vibrant as her Black Jewels Trilogy or the Tir Alainn trilogy! But...it was enjoyable and you have to admit she sucks you into the world of the characters quite quickly.

I found these two books quick to read, sucked me in, and wondering what it would be like to be a Landscaper or a Bridge...
Amethyst Shadow
Aug 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
Cross over into a different World. Visit the Den of Iniquity and ride a demon cycle. Meet new and interesting people... including your True Love. Learn about what you were born to be. This is Belladonna's World... where she must fight The Eater of the World to save the people of the World. Live this journey with and through Michael. Take Belladonna's hand... then you only need to take one step...
Nicole
Dec 04, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What can I say? I guess I'm a sucker for escapist cheese. It kept moving, I found many of the characters interesting, and I enjoyed it all. I was disappointed at how a couple of character threads were dropped, but in general, this lacked the usual Bishop flaw of the evil characters being eeeeeevil just because they don't have a nice bone in their bodies.
Philana Walker
I actually enjoyed the first book more. The story was a little flat for me, mainly because the story didn't seem to go anywhere. And I really like Ann Bishop, too so it makes me all the more sad.
Tamara
Aug 18, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember this being a much better book in my twenties. It is still an interesting story set in a fascinating world, and that is what keeps me reading.
There are a few things in this book that made it less likeable for me. Essentially a lot of the same jarring points from the first book, except multiplied.

The cons:
- I really, really hate the possessiveness and jealousies of the male characters in this book. I’ve never liked Sebastian, even in his own book, but he is utterly unbearable in this b
Kathy Martin
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is the second book in the Ephemera trilogy and focuses on Glorianna Belladonna this time. She is still battling the Eater of the World and feeling very much alone and over-matched. She wants someone of her own to love and share the burden with.

Michael is a Magician in his country. Magicians are feared because they can bring ill-luck. Of course, they can also bring good luck. Michael has traveled his circuit of places trying to keep the world in balance but has been dreaming on someone to lo
Kathy
May 08, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ephemera#2
I like it, but I have to say that I was disappointed.

My biggest disappointment was that the author chose to change narrators from the first book to the second, which, as is true with most series changed the entire tone of the series from the first book to the second. I'm sure that wouldn't have happened had I read the books on my own prior to my introduction to the audiobooks, but I didn't, so the change in narrator changed much more than I'm sure the author intended.

I was also disappo
shunnaoaddict
I'm not sure I want to read the next volume. I heard that Ephemera was Anne Bishop's least amazing book, but honestly... it was dragging so much.

I like Belladonna, I really do. She's tough, responsible and pretty girly at the same time. She has normal relationship with her sibling and cousin... But the romance. OMG the romance was so sickeningly sweet. Honestly, I rolled eyes so many times, it almost hurt.

I'm not sure if that was because of overly-flowery language or unnecessary fanfiction-like
Nicki
Fantastic continuation of the brilliant series. I've been waiting for years for this to be available in the UK and I'm still not disappointed. I loved how well it continues from the first book and that even with new main characters, Sebastian and the ground work for the series and character development set in his story, didn't just drop off the map. 4 1\2 star story (there are two main heroines and a hero. With three strong POVs I found that the threads of their stories felt a little bit cut sho ...more
Lisa
Apr 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
I always love settling into an Anne Bishop universe. Ephemera is no exception. What could have been a fairly banal story from someone else becomes a rich cosmos that doesn't shy away from the gritty or the beautiful. In this series, I particularly like the very pointed reminder about the ramifications of our choices. In Ephemera, the landscape literally alters to reflect those choices. Similarly when I extend that metaphor into my mundane life, each choice I make impacts my dominion--the world a ...more
Kristi
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I thought this book was heart-wrenching. To just find your heart's desire when you have to sacrifice yourself. This book shows the courage it takes to do that. I balled my eyes out when it happened. Then for your heart's desire stop at nothing to get you back. And succeeds. It shows the determination. I knew that Sebastian was important to Belladonna, but it's great how he was able to pay it forward. That made me cry my eyes out as well.

I could definitely continue reading the Sebastian & Bellad
Sherri
Well, I believe there is one more book to this series, and I'm not sure if I will revisit. I love Ms Bishop. She is a favorite, but this wasn't a favorite series. I just couldn't love any of the characters. I'm sure there are many people that do tho!!! I'll wait for a different series or another book from an existing!!!
Adrianna Lamm
Feb 09, 2020 rated it liked it
I struggled to stay focused and interested. There was a lot of telling, lectures form characters, little action. Well...I expected this story to be a sexy Paranormal Romance. It's totally not. I grew extremely frustrated with this series. I keep reading hoping as the series continues I will enjoy it
Kate H
Apr 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Black Jewels series and The Other series are definitely my favorite books by Anne Bishop but I think this series is a solid read. I find the characters to be the strongest part of the books. The story itself has define highs and lows but it is worth a read.
Natasha Chowdory
Jun 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Not as fun as Sebastian and also not keen on the whole concept of Belladonna 'needing' to be fulfilled by a partner. It's a really tired trope. OR I would have it liked it to be a woman because I feel that that would be more in-keeping, but there we go....
Tânia
Apr 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Guess who read this book before reading Sebastian and had some issues understanding the world building? 🙋🏻 However, that did not stop me from enjoying the story and shipping Belladonna and Michael (I'm a hopeless romantic, okay?).
Kim
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book, and especially the parts where she added music into the plot. But the ending started good and then seemed a bit forced.
Delvina Greig
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This is a dark fantasy and what Anne Bishop does best.
Rebecca Reynolds
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite
This second book is as good as the first and makes you want to cry a little because you just can't get enough :)
Mafalda Soares Vieira
Feb 28, 2018 rated it did not like it
Lack of consistency in the characters, the story becomes dull
Taylor Schultz
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
i need to finish it. I just lost interest. I really only cared about Sebastian in the first book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Feb 04, 2015 10:02AM

• Tropiciel (Tropiciel, #1)
  • Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy, #1)
  • Blood Kin (The Half-Light City, #2)
  • Cast in Wisdom (The Chronicles of Elantra, #15)
  • Dragon and Thief (Dragonback, #1)
  • Messenger's Angel (The Lost Angels, #2)
  • Avenger's Angel (The Lost Angels, #1)
  • Godslayer (The Sundering, #2)
  • Warrior Fae Princess (Warrior Fae, #2)
  • The Thackery T. Lambshead Pocket Guide to Eccentric & Discredited Diseases
  • Der Gott der Elder (Anders, #4)
  • The Anatomist
  • اللوح الأزرق
  • Der Thron von Tiernan (Anders, #3)
  • Die tote Stadt (Anders, #1)
  • Belzebubs
  • Sky Dragons (Pern, #24)
  • Kushiel’s Legacy: (Kushiel's Dart, Kushiel's Chosen, Kushiel's Avatar)
Anne Bishop lives in upstate New York where she enjoys gardening, music, and writing dark, romantic stories. She is the author of over twenty novels, including the award-winning Black Jewels Trilogy. She has written a new series, the Others, which is an urban dark fantasy with a bit of a twist.

Crawford Award (2000)

Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the GoodReads database with this na

Ephemera (3 books)
  • Sebastian (Ephemera, #1)
  • Bridge of Dreams (Ephemera, #3)