Start by marking “The Girl in White” as Want to Read:
The Girl in White

The Girl in White

Harry Gilmore has no idea of the terrible danger he faces when he meets a beautiful girl in a local student bar. Drugged and abducted, Harry wakes up in a secure wooden compound deep in the Welsh countryside, where he is groomed by the leaders of a manipulative cult, run by the self-proclaimed new messiah, known as The Master.

When the true nature of the cult becomes appar
Published September 4th 2019 by Bloodhound Books

To ask other readers questions about The Girl in White, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Girl in White

sue
As always John Nicholl writes a mesmerising story, this time its about a cult.

An abduction and in some ways this reminded me of the Handmaids Tale in certain aspect as regards the length some go for power and recognition.

In some respects this isn't an easy book to read which we have come to learn from this author who likes to push the boundaries which I personally love and it means as a reader, to expect the unexpected and you WILL be surprised.
His books never go the way you expec
Matt
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
First and foremost, a large thank you to John Nicholl and Bloodhound Books for providing me with a copy of this publication, which allows me to provide you with an unbiased review.

Always a fan John Nicholl, I was pleased to get my hands on his latest work, which pushes the reader well outside their comfort zone. His work mixes the sharpness of a police procedural with some psychological elements that add not only a degree of evil but a heart-stopping element to an already wonderful piece of wr
Lou
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Girl in White, bestselling crime fiction writer John Nicholl's latest psychological thriller, is another addictive, rip-roaring read full of danger and surprise and the author pulls no punches when it comes to covering a topic many people and readers are fascinated by - cults. Add to the mix a solid police procedural style sense of mystery and mayhem, and some spine chilling psychological elements and the underlying sense unease felt throughout the whole book is palpable. I have always been ...more
Sue
THE GIRL IN WHITE by bestselling crime fiction writer John Nicholl's latest psychological thriller, that will resonate in your mind for many days to come. You will not forget this novel! It is that good. John Nicholl is the author of the Dr. David Galbraith Series and the DI Gravel Series, all of which I have read and thoroughly enjoyed.

The Girl in White is a new story with the introduction of DI Laura Kesey-Book 1 from the West Wales Police, that has replaced DI Gravel from previous
Andrea
Sep 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-books
I would give this book a 3.5 rating as felt this book had a great storyline but for me it felt rushed,from being kidnapped and the police even it's a friend of the boy who goes missing they would of done more inquiries in what happened to him it jumped to finding the cult very easily this book should of been longer. I did enjoy his other book The girl in red more exciting.
Dianne
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
After having just been dumped by his girlfriend, Harry Gilmore, college student, meets what could be the girl of his dreams, exactly who he needed to make his life complete, but he may discover she is the girl of his worst nightmare…no matter how beautiful she is.

John Nicholl is known for writing, gripping, gritty and dark suspense and his latest, THE GIRL IN WHITE is one more notch on his keyboard of creative genius!

Think mind-altering, manipulative cults at their worst, the struggle for the police to find a missing y
Linda Strong
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Harry is heartbroken. His girlfriend has broken up with him ... by text, no less, .... and he's having a few drinks to drown his misery. But lo and behold... a beautiful young woman comes and sits next to him. He's in love again .... but maybe not for long.

The last thing he really remembers is the girl and someone else helping him walk and getting into a white van. When he does come to, he finds that he is the newest member of a cult. He is to be a worker .... tend the garden, pick t
Philomena Callan Cheekypee
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loved-it
I was so excited to read this story. I’ve read all the authors previous books and loved them. This is yet again another awesome read.

DI Laura Keyes is a brilliant likeable character. She will need her wits about her to find Harry Gilmore who has disappeared.

I absolutely loved the storyline. John Nicholl sure knows how to write a gripping storyline with his own uniqueness.

Have you read any of this authors previous books? If not why not. I highly recommend you r
Audrey Gibson
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What I love about this author is he never disappoints. This story grabbed me from the beginning and kept my interest throughout. He's a brilliant storyteller and a book I highly recommend you read.
Renita D'Silva
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
John Nichol does it once again! This author never disappoints, always delivering a thrilling, dark, poignant, terrifying and thought provoking read. With every book he hones his craft - this one was absolutely amazing. I just couldn't put it down and am still thinking about it. Just fabulous. This author just gets better and better and I absolutely cannot wait for his next.
Lesley Hayes
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an interesting departure from John Nicholl’s previous novels, and a reversal of the genders of both detective and victim. The book begins by introducing the reader to the male student Harry, the lamb destined by the author to be led to the slaughter by the girl in white of the title. Slowly, slowly, we are seduced as readers just as Harry is seduced. She seems harmless enough, surely? Perhaps a little obsessed with the religious group she is involved with, but Harry has no real suspicion ...more
Alison Taylor-Muhl
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If there is one thing you can rely upon from a book by John Nichol it is that from the very beginning it is going to take you on one heck of a journey! The Girl in White is no exception to that rule.

John has a wonderful knack of creating very believable characters (I absolutely love it when an author is able to make me feel for the characters) as well as building a marvelous sense of atmosphere – the hairs on the back of my neck were on end during more than one paragraph.

A well-deserved 5 star
Ellie Shepherd
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Do you love John Nicholl's books, well this is another brilliant read and really well constructed with characters you will love and others you will love to hate.
Totally different compared to his other books and another 5* book. Sp gritty and grabs your attention all the way through. I read it in 2 sittings.
Very highly recommended. You won't be disappointed, it leaves you wanting more with a serious book hangover.
Kristin's Novel Cafe
Sep 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
In John Nicholl’s latest book, The Girl in White, he touches on a subject that is different than the typical psychological thriller….cults. It was a very engaging and different book.

Harry is going through a break-up. As he is drowning his sorrows is a local bar, a beautiful woman approaches. Immediately grabbing his attention, she lures him with her beauty and they end up planning future dates. Before he realizes what is going on, he is drugged and wakes up in a very unfamiliar place
Alyson Read
Sep 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sociology student Harry Gilmore has just finished his exams and is feeling sorry for himself, having been dumped by his girlfriend, and by text message at that! Scraping together his last few coins, he consoles himself with a lager in a bar when he looks up to see a beautiful young girl in front of him. She proceeds to chat him up and buy him lunch, and he cannot believe his luck. Little does he realise she has selected him for indoctrination into a religious community set deep in the Welsh coun ...more
Michelle Ryles
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: galleys-read
I've read quite a few of John Nicholl's books so I know you're always guaranteed a quality novel from him, which is exactly what you get with The Girl in White. As with all John Nicholl's novels, The Girl in White is dark and creepy but it's slightly different in that it's not set in a domestic situation. As always though, John Nicholl manages to make my skin crawl with his chilling storyline and mesmeric writing.

Although the police feature in this book, it's not DI Gravel this time
Craig Gillan
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Interesting read
Sarah Stuart
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was predisposed to fear for Harry. The book title reminded me of The Woman in White, a show I saw alone in the West End, and wished I’d had company; I wasn’t anticipating horror from a musical! From John Nicholl, I expected two things – psychologically-sound horror, and knowing all the facets of the story, and I wasn’t disappointed.

Anchara claims her name means Angel, and Harry, suffering from a recent break-up with this girlfriend, is utterly captivated. He might have followed her anywhere,
Melanie Lewis
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another John Nicholl psychological thriller that taps into many parents' fears. It is so easy to imagine your adult child get caught up in something awful when they go off to university and so this meant the book had a credible threat to it. DI Laura Kesey is a credit to the force and I really hope she will be a recurring character because I felt very engaged with her and invested in seeing her achieve a successful outcome. Fast paced and with sadly, all too believable characters, this book will ...more
Alex  Jones
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Even though I have all of the authors books on my kindle in the never-ending ‘to be read’ pile, this is the first time I’ve read a John Nicholl book, what was I waiting or. It’s very very good, thought-provoking stuff!

Harry Gilmore, down on his luck, near penniless and going through a break up with the love of his life, scrapes together the money for a couple of pints and takes himself off to the pub to drown his sorrows, unbeknown to Harry, he is being preyed upon by a maniacal cult
Diane Warburton
Sep 11, 2019 rated it liked it
ok....could be a 3.5* It was a good book. Different. But maybe I was expecting more from this author, having read a few previously that I have given a 5* rating. I found it a bit drawn out and repetitive in places and skimmed through a little. I know it was probably all drawn out to increase the tension and that may work for most people. Me included. But there comes a point when it gets too much....for me anyway. The storyline was excellent...as expected. Give it a go, it is an interesting read. ...more
Randee Strand
Sep 16, 2019 rated it did not like it
Let me start by saying that I typically enjoy this author and his books. So I was surprised that I couldn’t even finish this book. It’s basically about a college guy abducted by a cult. The story is painfully slow moving. The lack of vocabulary gets old. If I heard the main character called “newbie” one more time I was gonna scream. No suspense, no thrills, just a boring book. Don’t waste your time. I have no idea how this got good reviews. Even with eventually skimming it instead of really read ...more
Teri Williams
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
I did not like this book because I had to read over 70% of the book before the other characters were introduced as actively working on the
case of the missing person. The story and the characters lacked depth and history. So a book that is 212 pages could have been lessened to 150 if you removed all of the filler.
SHEILA  A STOKER
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great read

This was a rather different book for me and I enjoyed it very much . If you want a good story I recommend it
Mr Kenneth L Mullen
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great Story

A really good psychological thriller with good strong characters and plenty of action and lots of twists and turns. An ending that was great as well.
CynthiaBrown77
Sep 07, 2019
Sylvia
Sep 07, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
John Nicholl, an ex-police officer, child protection social worker and lecturer, is the award-winning, Amazon # 1 bestselling author of 8 darkly psychological suspense thrillers.

John’s books are set in the UK and have a strong Welsh flavour. He began writing after leaving his job heading up child protection services for Carmarthenshire.

John's English language books are published by le