Start by marking “Practical Magic: Jouw introductie in de wereld van magie” as Want to Read:
Practical Magic: Jouw introductie in de wereld van magie

Practical Magic: Jouw introductie in de wereld van magie

Van kruiden tot kristallen: Practical Magic is een duidelijke en inspirerende introductie in de wereld van magie.

Dit boek is de perfecte basis voor iedereen die nieuwsgierig is naar de wondere wereld van moderne magie. De verschillende onderwerpen worden duidelijk uitgelegd, zoals kruidendrankjes en astrologie, maar daarnaast krijg je ook praktische instructies over ritue
Published August 2019 by Spectrum (first published September 5th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Practical Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Practical Magic

I'mogén
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Video review: https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&...

This was a great book for beginners because it goes over terminology really easily, with lovely illustrations to further explain. I wanted to read this alongside my Mind, Body and Spirit magazine, in the hopes that it would give me some modern updates because I think the magazine is a reprinted older one. It definitely worked out for me because I found myself already knowing a fair few things, but I appreciated the little bit more depth this
SA
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, it's hard to believe that no one in this genre has had the audacity to title a non-fiction book "Practical Magic" until now, since for sure I and so many in my generation read and/or saw Alice Hoffman's Practical Magic and burned with the desire for that to be our reality.

The misleading aspect of my four-star rating acknowledged, I am deeply conflicted about this book.

First of all, it is gorgeous. Like, savouring every page gorgeous. Illustrator Katie Vernon's images are inspired, and fo
Maggie Gordon
Practical Magic is an introductory book to a variety of different metaphysical topics such as auras, divination, and spellcraft. Van De Car takes the approach of speaking to curious skeptics, knowing that her audience probably wants to know more about these topics, but also thinks that most of the knowledge contained within is questionable. She makes no promises of grand magic, and states multiple times that much of what she writes about has little scientific evidence, but does often make people ...more
Abigail Natoli
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good introduction, covers just about all of the basics. I found it very interesting!
Allie (alliecatreads)
This book was really good! I honestly bought it because I knew it would have beautiful illustrations in it, but I was concerned because I thought it might not teach me anything new, but I was pleasantly surprised! It has so many good chapters and lessons in it!

Nikki definitely knows her stuff, and I also really loved this book because she is pretty level with people. She knows that those from the magickal community and those who are just curious will pick up the book. She at one point is talking
Artemis
'An Enchanted Introduction for Casual Clairvoyants and Weekend Witches.'

This takes me back to my teenage years, when I was mystical-and-astrology-curious. Starry-eyed.

Everything in 'Practical Magic: A Beginner's Guide to Crystals, Horoscopes, Psychics, and Spells' is exactly what it says on the tin. It is brief and simple in informing each topic, but the writing treats its readers like adults. It spoke to me on a profound, nostalgic, and, strangely enough, grounded level.

For anyone who might be
Stef
Sep 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice introduction to topics like palmistry, crystals, tarot, and the like in an attractive, colorful hardbound book.
Melissa D'andrea
It was a pretty looking book but I believe it lacked depth for anyone seriously looking to get into Wicca. Seemed like it was meant for that person looking for the witchy aesthetic/hipster vibe that is so envogue right now. I think if you were a teen looking into an alternative belief system or someone who wants a light primer to something ~magical, than this book could be helpful. I did not find it super insightful, but may use it as a resource in the future.
Lydia
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people only in it to pin it
Armchair witchcraft by a knitting blogger.

The reference/further reading section is over probably close to 70% websites. Check out the zodiac section and the descriptions of the signs' personalities and you can tell which ones the author has biases towards. Not a dig so much as something I find amusing whenever a casual practitioner writes an article (or a book).

Basically, I wanted more from this book. It was all surface with no real body, and I would say could barely be called a primer. There
Sarafina van Ast
I LOVE this book. The illustartions are so nice and the way the writer takes you from chapter to chapter is so much fun. I went through this book so fast and still learnt so many new things. Is does not go into all the details of every subject but it gives you just enough to go on your own little adventure. For people that are intrested in chakras, tarots and sabbaths but don't want to comit to a large book with lots of information this is perfect. I learnt to much in a short time even though i' ...more
Masha
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute little book that cover a lot of fields with basic yet enlightening informations.
The only thing that bothered me is the author, who is very shy talking about subjects that passionate her. Looks like she's afraid to come out as a weirdo and kinda keeps excusing the practices. Or it's the publisher's idea to grab more readers, even bigots ones..."it's just to have fun, just some silly you know" type of vibes, from time to time. Girl ! Assume what you like and own it, ffs !
Otherwise, the illus
Tiffany Bencko
I really give this book a 2.75 because it touches on a lot of subjects, but barley even scratches the surface of the subject in question. This is a very beautiful book with beautiful illustrations on nearly every page, that's why my ratings is as high as it is. If you even know the slightest bit about magic, this book might teach you a couple of new things, but I'd say this book is for someone who has absolutely no knowledge of the Craft. very much a beginners book. Like I said though, very aest ...more
Marina
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I absolutely love this book, I found it was the perfect introduction for someone like me, and I loved that it had so many themes in one place! Even though I already knew quite a bit about astrology and chakras, I found new information I didn't know about so that was really enjoyable as well. Overall, I really recommend it especially if you're not sure whether or not you're into this type of stuff.
Changley Cavins
Apr 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is gorgeous! The artwork in it is great, the pages are thick and it’s easy to lay flat! Although, I’m sure that’s not why you’re reading this review!
The content was great! All of the topics was new to me so I felt that each one was explained at a level I could follow but it was more than an introduction. Each section explained what to do with the information too!
I enjoyed all the topics, I took a ton of notes & enjoyed reading it!
Siobhan
Jun 03, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wicca-pagan
As a beginners book, like other ones it has it's own selection of material watered down. It's a good book to wet a beginners whistle and peek their interest in different subjects within witchcraft, magick etc. But if I were a complete beginner I would not know that it is missing important subject matter such as centering and grounding which is important for all aspects of magick discussed in this book. I still recommend it.
NeonHippie
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This beautiful book is for anyone who is interested in learning about witchcraft, has thought about it & even for the more advanced witches around us 😉
I bought this book for myself as my bday present & I can’t delve too deeply but I know this will be a book I come back to repeatedly even years down the rd into this epic journey! Thank you Nikki Van De Car for writing this book for people who are feeling lost/inspired/newly awakened or all of the above, like muah! Haha
Thank you again!
Heather Bradley
Very basic overview of a wide variety of topics. Definitely not enough information to actually learn anything, but just enough to pique interest so you can do more research in certain fields and also to know what fields don't totally click with you. A good sampler for the complete beginner and a beautiful book, but not one I'd go back to time and again.
Boomers Gems
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is aesthetically pleasing and full of basic to-the-point good info. A little bit of everything is tucked inside. Crystal, Tarot, Oils, Horoscope, Auras, Herbs, ect. I really like the way she writes. A perfect beginers guide, not too overwhelming. Informative, beautiful, inspiring. Way to go Nikki Van De Car!
Samantha
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality
Great resource for skeptical yet open-minded readers who want a moderate overview of some popular New Age spirituality topics. There are sections on astrology, auras, chakras, crystals, dream interpretation, herbs, pagan holidays, palmistry, plant-based magic, tarot, and white magic. Something that really added to how much I enjoyed this book was the beautiful illustrations! They were artistic and helped to visually communicate some of the information presented.
Haley
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great book for beginners who have always been interested in magic and witches and wants to know what the basics are. I would recommended and hand this book to anyone who says “oh I’ve always wanted to learn about that witch stuff”. I wouldn’t recommend this to someone who does practice already - as it is very simple information.
Treasa
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent books for those who want to get their feet wet in different areas of spirituality. I would have loved to go more in depth on certain subjects but that is simple not the nature of this book. The author provides a lovely list of resources to seek out to further your learning in different areas!! Comparable to “the Soul Searchers Handbook”. LOVED IT!
Calypso Illusion
Fabulous book!

Very good beginner's information and the artistry throughout the book was beautifully tranquil and melodic unto itself. Favorite chapter was the crystal explanations.
Joanne
Aug 28, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fic, witchcraft
Practical Magic by Nikki Van De Car is a good general introduction, as it talks a little about many different subjects: chakras, herbs and healing, magick and spells, horoscopes, tarot, palm reading and dreams. It is a little basic, though, and only really scratches the surface. However, it does go into more detail about chakras than The Little Book of Witchcraft by Astrid Carvel, and has been the only book I've read so far that gives some insight into the meaning behind the various celestial bo ...more
Kat Ice
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVED LOVED LOVED this book!!! I am so interestes in this so it was really cool stepping into this world and learning more about it! Such a great way to get your feet wet, now off to find more books like this!!
Emma
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading this book. It was a nice introduction to a lot of different topics and it has beautiful illustrations to go along with the information. I know this is a book that I will come back to reference and read again.
Courtney
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great little book for beginners, with gorgeous watercolors throughout. I’m familiar with plant magic, crystals, and astrology, but not so much with palmistry, auras, and tarot. I will be re-reading parts of this for a while, I’m sure.
Gianna
Jun 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful watercolor coffee table book for those who are slightly intrigued in the mystic arts.
Whitney Stanfield
This is a short but fun read with cute illustrations. Great for beginners but it might be too insubstantial for more serious practitioners.
Nancy
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’m so glad I picked this book up! 💜 It’s quite fascinating to learn all these things that have always captured my attention 🤔 😊👍
Elizabeth
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was really fun! The illustrations were beautiful.
Goodreads Librari...: add cover pls 3 19 Sep 07, 2017 12:28PM

• Wicca Moon Magic: A Wiccan's Guide and Grimoire for Working Magic with Lunar Energies
  • Craft: How to Be a Modern Witch
  • Power to the Princess: 15 Favorite Fairytales Retold with Girl Power
  • Zodiac Starforce Volume 2: Cries of the Fire Prince
  • Change Your Energy: Healing Crystals for Health, Wealth, Love  Luck
  • Sensation Comics Featuring Wonder Woman Vol. 2
  • Ms. Marvel Omnibus, Vol. 1
  • The Melody Kingdom (Cucumber Quest, #3)
  • Creative Thursday: Everyday Inspiration to Grow Your Creative Practice
  • Madness Visible: A Memoir of War
  • Hilda and the Hidden People
  • Captain Marvel: Earth's Mightiest Hero Vol. 1
  • Raven
  • The Avalon Collection: Web of Magic, Books 1-3
  • The Spectacular Sisterhood of Superwomen: Awesome Female Characters from Comic Book History
  • Witch Wars
  • The Collage Workbook: How to Get Started and Stay Inspired
  • Taylor Swift: This Is Our Song
Nikki Van De Car is a blogger, knitter, and mother whose books What To Knit When You're Expecting and What To Knit: The Toddler Years chronicle the way her knitting changed as her daughter grew. Her popular knitting blog has received over 1.5 million pageviews since its inception in June 2008, and her patterns have been published in Interweave and Ply magazines, among others. Nikki lives in Hawaii ...more