Start by marking “Greta and the Giants: inspired by Greta Thunberg's stand to save the world” as Want to Read:
Greta and the Giants: inspired by Greta Thunberg's stand to save the world

Greta and the Giants: inspired by Greta Thunberg's stand to save the world

This inspiring picture book retells the story of Nobel Peace Prize nominee Greta Thunberg—the Swedish teenager who has led a global movement to raise awareness about the world’s climate crisis—using allegory to make this important topic accessible to young children.

Greta is a little girl who lives in a beautiful forest threatened by Giants. When the Giants first came to
Published November 19th 2019 by Frances Lincoln Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Greta and the Giants, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Greta and the Giants

Start your review of Greta and the Giants: inspired by Greta Thunberg's stand to save the world
Erika Sarutobi
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a really cute picture book inspired by the environmental activist Greta Thunberg. I wish we could have that happy ending too but sadly, people's greed are too strong to care about anything but profit. They don't really think about the future generations and the rest of the living things in the environment.

Nevertheless, just because some big companies contribute a lot to global warming (and don't care) doesn't mean that we, as individuals, can't change some habits to help reduce it. We
Alicia Bayer
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful art accompanies this story that tells about Greta Thunberg and climate change in an easy to understand fable about a little girl trying to protect her forest from greedy giants who are destroying it. The story is really uplifting and has a happy ending that I wish was happening with our own "giants" right now, but it ends with a little blurb telling that in real life we are still fighting the giants in this issue. It also tells how kids can help in small ways that really do help, just ...more
La Coccinelle
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, children, netgalley
This is a nice allegorical story about Greta Thunberg's activism and leadership on climate change. In this narrative, governments and industry are represented by giants who destroy the environment, leaving the animals fearing for their future. Nobody wants to do anything because everybody is afraid of standing up to the giants. Everybody except Greta, that is. She starts by herself, but is soon joined by others, until there are so many that their complaints can no longer be ignored.

Unlike in
Morris
I can't praise this book enough. It somehow simplifies climate change, and the power one child has to change the world, into something easy enough for preschoolers to grasp. The illustrations are cute and engaging. Adults need to read it as much as children, I believe. Highly recommended!

This unbiased review is based upon a complimentary copy provided by the publisher.
Etienne
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a nice story, and very well illustrated as well, inspired by Greta Thunberg (the characters only, the story itself is more fantastical then realistic!. An ecological tale about nature and society. Simple, but perfectly executed and absolutely worth reading!
Mimi
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
"No one is too small to make a difference."

be right back, gotta go cry.
Cheryl
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Greta is visited by the inhabitants of her forest, pleading for help in saving their home. The giants have pillaged and plundered nature in their blind greed for profitable construction. She contemplates how and sets out to meet them, carrying only a sign with “STOP” emblazoned upon it. Alone, she is ignored. Soon, others join her, each with their own sign of their own plea. The numbers can not be ignored. The giants take heed. They stop, they listen, they regret. Looking always forward, they ...more
Ivonne Rovira
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all children
Recommended to Ivonne by: Quarto Publishing Book
It would have been too easy for this allegory, inspired by the valiant, prescient Greta Thunberg, to have been preachy and off-putting. Instead, this slender, hopeful book explains climate change — as well as valor and the power of everyday citizens — in a way even preschoolers can understand. The lovely message and illustrations will delight adults, too.

In the interest of full disclosure, I received this book from NetGalley, Quarto Publishing Group and Frances Lincoln Children’s Books in
Shoa Khan
This is the story of Greta Thunberg adapted for younger readers with analogies that would help them understand the Strike for Climate movement.

Being a story for children, it has a happy ending. But as the author points out at the end of the book, the fight in the real world is far from over.

The illustrations in the book are just so adorable and gorgeous!

Coincidentally, this is the second book I read this weekend where the author and the illustrator have the same first name!
Toni
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, 2019
This wonderful story was inspired by real life events. A Swedish teenager Greta Thurnberg was wondering why despite all the scary facts about the climate change nobody was doing anything to stop 'the giants'/ goverments and huge businesses from destroying our planet. She protested next to the Swedish government building and was gradually joined by more and more people . Greta's actions inspired many people to start doing something real in order to stop the imminent climate change disaster.
The
Elizabeth
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Artwork 5/5
Story 5/5
Characters 5/5
Message 10/5
I cried. This book is beautiful. Buy this book for kids. Tell them that you'll work to make the world a healthy and beautiful place for them and their kids.
Natalie
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review via netgalley and the publishers.

This book completely and utterly melted my heart.
The story is about a little girl called Greta who is asked by the animals to help them save their forest as the giants are killing it and cutting it down.
This book is such a heart melting tale about the effects of global warming today in ean easy to understand and follow child format that really touched me and my child.
I would love a paper copy of
Nii Books
Oct 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: digital-copy, arcs
"No one is too small to make a difference."

This was such an adorable and informative read. I was very happy to receive this Arc from Quarto Publishing Group - Frances Lincoln Childrens as I had been anticipating to read this books, as well s more about Greta and her story. This book captured the essence of being a "child", innocent yet powerful in their own way. Greta's fight inspired others and I'm sure will continue to inspire a younger generation. This book will surely persuade other
Samm | Sassenach the Book Wizard
if you don't think I'm buying this, you're a moron.
OjoAusana
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really cute book! I knew before reading the end who this book was about and its great! I especially loved the ending note too!
This is a simple book explaining the story of Greta Thunberg, the climate activist, to the picture book crowd. Using giants as the big bad adults, Greta stands up to them, and explains that they are destroying the planet. At first no one hears her, but then as more people take up her cry, the giants realize the harm they have done.

And everyone lives happily ever after.

Oh, if only this were the case.

Unfortunately, I do not hold out much hope for us, but without hope, we wouldn't even try, so
Justin
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received this book, for free, in exchange for an honest review.

A well told and beautifully illustrated story.
This is allegorical and is not Greta's biography.
The book glosses over details and is probably best for children less than 12 (as older children would probably benefit from more details).
Leah Horton
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I felt the giants representation of adults, corporations, etc was really great. The illustrations were really pretty and I thought that the message was important.

A beautiful way to send an important message.
Richard
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
It is hard to argue as an adult against the impetus to make a difference, that motivated the real world Greta. However, I am always concerned when political or religious tenants infiltrate children's books anf the overarching cause is seen to justify the dogmatic approach that forces children grow up too quickly.
I was therefore hesitant to embrace this book for children inspired by Greta Thunberg who took a stand to advocate for her planet and apeak out against the danger of uncontrolled global
JenLovesBooks
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a book I really wanted to get my hands on and see how it all looked on paper. It's a book that I will definitely be getting for my daughter, as the whole book is about doing what you know is right, no matter what age you are.

Yes, it's a bit too nicely tied up (in real life it's become a lot harder to get the message to be taken seriously). But, it still gives us, as well as our young ones, hope that someday it might be a little better than it was yesterday. And, hopefully our future
BreeAnn
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, kids-books
What I Loved: The illustrations were perfect. The giants looked so large while everything else was so small. The way the animals were drawn, was just beautiful. The wolf on one page, just looked amazing. I was very pleased with the art throughout the book, and my daughter appreciated it too. She had a lot of questions on each page because there was so much to look at.

How I Felt: So, I don't read the synopsis on books...a LOT. I like to be pulled in by the cover art and the title. I grabbed this
Vivienne
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“No one is too small to make a difference.”

Thank you to Quarto Publishing Group/Frances Lincoln Children’s Books for a temporary digital edition of ‘Greta and the Giants’, written by Zoë Tucker and illustrated by Zoe Persico, in exchange for an honest review.

This children’s picture book is a fable inspired by Greta Thunberg's stand to save the world. Young Greta lives in the forest and one day is approached by the animals of the forest, who are seeking her help to save their homes from the
Tracy Marie
Greta is a young girl that lived in the forest. One morning she woke up and found all the animals huddled together under the trees. The giants that had always been there had been busy building homes, buildings, towns, and cities. They built until there was hardly any forest left. Nobody stopped the giants as they were all scared of them.

The animals went to Greta and asked her to help. Greta made a sign that said "stop". The giants continued to pass by not noticing Greta, but then others joined
Andrea Pole
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Greta and the Giants by Zoe Tucker is a picture book that tells an allegorical tale of a world in crisis, inspired by teenage climate activist Greta Thunberg. The story is presented in such a way that even the youngest of children will intuit that this is a call to change. No matter how small or insignificant we might believe ourselves to be, we all have the capacity and the voice to affect change. The book is superbly illustrated, and the evolution of the giants, from shadowy and highly ...more
Rebecca
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
When I started reading this I was surprised, as I expected it to be a picture book depicting the life of Greta Thunberg. I have read a number of books about Greta recently for middle grade and older readers, so I thought a picture book would be a great addition to this collection.

That is not what this picture book is though. As the blurb states (which I obviously didn't read properly), this is an allegory (a story, poem, or picture that can be interpreted to reveal a hidden meaning, typically a
KSS
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Greta and the Giants is an wonderfully illustrated story that can introduce Greta Thunberg and the fight against climate change to young children without being too overwhelming or confusing. The metaphors of the giants for adults / corporations works wonderfully here to explain to young children who exactly are the people hurting the planet. Definitely want a copy of this book for our library!
Shari
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great introduction to climate change issues, and kids-friendly explanation of the work that Greta Thunberg and others are doing to stop climate change through peaceful protests, marches, and strikes. This is a perfect book to start talking to kids about social activism and the importance of protecting our planet.
Amit Verma
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a book about our future. It is about installing right instincts in our young generation.
With wonderful illustrations and art; it is a fable about environmental protection.
Blind capitalism and greet of humans is destroying environment to the extent that is directly coming to a situation where; whole biomass is at risk.
Everyone will suffer if earth wilts.
Somebody had to take a lead and Greta did it.

This graphic novel is a perfect start for teaching little kids about environmental
Jeimy
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cute environmental fairy tale inspired by Greta Thunberg.
Lady Fay
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There is a bunch of books around Greta. Mostly of them in "childhood" shelves. Really. Everyone seems to wanna talk about the little girl with braids and Asperger syndrome. But this book stands up in the hoard and the rating is well deserved. It's short, but nice, and magistrally paints the movement of Fridays for future.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Winter Sleep: A Hibernation Story
  • The Mrs. Frollein Collection: Small Hours
  • An ABC of Equality
  • The River Fairy's Wish: A Lyrical Fairy Tale
  • Martin Luther King, Jr.
  • The Art of Looking Up