Jump to ratings and reviews

The Vacant Realm

When Sam Shelton appeared in Avalon nearly a year ago, it was fate that joined him together with Willow, Cornelius, and Roanna. They've since toppled unbeatable generals, bested champions in combat, and fought back hordes of terrifying monsters. The Mavericks had the emperor on his heels, or so they thought. The wizard ruler of Avalon has retaliated and toils away on his secret plan from the bowels of his mountain stronghold. As Sam and his group journey northward to test their wits and skills against the famed Trials of Olen, both old and new demons threaten to pull the group apart from the inside. Can Sam keep the group together and claim Olen's fabled prize or is the emperor one step ahead? Will Sam ever find the location of the Gate Minder's Key? Find out that and more in The Vacant Realm!

429 pages, Kindle Edition

Published August 26, 2019

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Mike Thayer

7 books34 followers
Mike Thayer is a proud father of three, lucky husband of one, passionate author, budding podcaster, lifelong gamer, viral blogger, degreed engineer, decent impressionist, inept hunter, erstwhile jock, and nerd.

He has cast a ring on the slopes of Mt. Doom, eaten a feast at the Green Dragon Inn, cemented Excalibur in a sandstone block, tasted butter beer at Diagon Alley, built a secret door to his storage room, and written a few fantasy books. What else is left, really?

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
21 (80%)
4 stars
5 (19%)
3 stars
2 stars
1 star
Displaying 1 - 8 of 8 reviews
Profile Image for A.L. Sowards.
Author 16 books1,003 followers
Read
October 17, 2022
This series is great and my twins and I really enjoyed reading book three together—we could hardly put it down as we approached the final, epic showdown. The main characters keep growing on me more and more with every book, and I really enjoy watching them face interesting personal challenges as well as the big external challenges. We’re looking forward to the next book!
Profile Image for Drew.
18 reviews
September 4, 2019
Another great book from the Techno Wizard series. Each book is so unique and The Vacant Realm certainly has some SciFi and modern elements that I liked while still keeping it set in the world of Avalon. I love the ideas of the trials and escape room like games that the characters had to get through. I also enjoyed the quests outside the main city. Each time they come up against something big and impossible, I always wonder how they are going to get out of it, and am always surprised at the outcome. While there is definitely humor in this book, I felt like it was pared down a bit from the last two installments, which, considering what happened in the last book, is not too surprising. There are new kinds of monsters, allies, villains, and some familiar faces that keep the book fresh and yet connected to the others in the series. Again, I think the real hero of this book is Willow. I love her! She is such a great character. I think the plot is really ramping up and the characters each have their own little development that pulls them together, but also apart. I can't wait to see what is next.
Profile Image for Kira.
13 reviews1 follower
March 9, 2020
I LOVE the Vacant Realm! Mike Thayer continues to impress in his third book in the Technowizard series, with fresh new ideas applied in fun and unique ways. He takes the concept of escape rooms, for example, and transforms them into magical-death-trap-puzzles. The end-result is storytelling genius that makes for a ridiculously enjoyable read.

The characters continue to be delightful, both in their distinctive personalities and their tremendous character growth. I especially love Willow's character arc, in which she faces her greatest trials yet and ultimately develops the strengths she needs to make the hardest choices she's ever had to make.

As always, a strong theme of friendship ties it all together and is what truly makes the book magical!
Profile Image for Angela.
232 reviews
August 27, 2019
Get ready for another epic adventure with Sam the Techno-wizard! He and his intrepid crew must solve new obstacles and work as a team as they get closer to solving the mysterious Trials of Olen. As they forge ahead against the emperor and his minions, secrets are revealed, bonds are strengthened, and new allies are formed. This series is great for all ages, I love the characters’ wit and seeing how they develop and grow as they overcome hardships. 👍🏼👍🏼
1 review1 follower
August 28, 2019
Another wild, entertaining adventure by Mike Thayer. The Vacant Realm continues Sam and company’s quest in Avalon with a new spin and delightful twists. The reader can’t help but try to solve the puzzles encountered by Sam’s crew before they do. As always, Mike hits a balance of humor, epic thrills and adolescent romance that engages readers of all ages. But this for your kids, read it for them, or just treat yourself. It’s a very entertaining series!
Profile Image for Caleb.
14 reviews
September 27, 2019
Techno Wonderful

Great story that continues to grow and enthrall. These books are great because they appeal to all ages that enjoy a great fantasy book.
Displaying 1 - 8 of 8 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.