Start by marking “Klopf an dein Herz” as Want to Read:
Klopf an dein Herz

Klopf an dein Herz

Diane hat es als Kind nicht leicht, denn ihre Mutter lehnt sie ab. Und zwar radikal. Die Schwester hingegen ist Mutters Liebling. Trotzdem entwickelt sich Diane zu einer starken Persönlichkeit. Sie wird Kardiologin und kümmert sich um kranke Herzen, ganz im Sinne des Dichters Alfred de Musset, der sagte: »Klopf an dein Herz, denn da sitzt dein Genie.« Doch damit entfesselt ...more
160 pages
Published August 26th 2019 by Diogenes (first published August 24th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Klopf an dein Herz, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Klopf an dein Herz

Lark Benobi
Like every other Amélie Nothomb novel I've read, Strike Your Heart felt deep, true, and perfect to me.

I try to understand why her books aren't gobbled up by my friends and anticipated before they are published.

One reason might be because she never strays beyond the nihilistic reality of what it's like to be a woman. There's a certain cut-throat realism in this novel, and in every other Nothomb novel I've ever read. She frequently writes about just how awful women can be to one another.

Another
Antonomasia
[3.5] My first Amélie Nothomb book (and the author's 25th novel). I don't think I've ever read a novella which read so much like a short story. Its economy of style and summary descriptions of time passing are like a paradigm of the short form's approach to long durations. In tone and content it feels like an intermingling of realist fable with case studies from psychology and self-help texts.

The focus is family psychodrama. In 1971, beautiful, egotistical teenager Marie has started secretarial
Mary
My husband brought this book home, sadly, after reading the synopsis and thinking of me.

It's a quick and frustratingly brief tale that is spot on in the depiction of the irreparable damage caused early in life and the futility of trying to fix it. This would have made a great full length novel, but there's something about how the years and decades in this book flew by that made my heart hurt. So much loss and waste, and we never change, and we never get to do it over.

I suppose this marks the b
PS
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: french-lit
Have I missed something? There are glowing reviews for this novel on Goodreads but for me this stayed firmly at the level of a mass paperback / airport novel. The sort you can read in an hour or two and are thin on plot and trope-ridden.
Line Bookaholic
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Writing a review for one of Amélie Nothomb's books is always difficult. First, because I read them in French and I'm writing in English. Then, because she is my favourite author of all time, so it is not easy for me to write something constructive. Finally, because all her books rather follow the same patterns, so if you like one, you would surely like the others.

Anyway, this one is about a young and beautiful woman who always gets everything she wants because of her looks. She then got pregnant
Jaclyn (sixminutesforme)
Within this short narrative, the reader is led step by step through Diana’s relationships with the women in her life. Diana is a high achiever and early in life has scaled to lofty peaks in the French medical profession, but notably absent in her life is any trace of maternal love. Diana’s relationship with her mother is SO uniquely written, this was a read for me like no other.

Superb prose and a plot that captures you from page one, I am now enchanted with Amelie Nothomb and can’t wait to read
Rihab Sebaaly
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nothomb! The brilliant and talented writer...always strikes me with her ability to create novels and to write books based around small yet very complicated ideas...

In this book, Nothomb talks about jealousy between a mother and her daughter and how this jealousy shaped the life of the daughter and her personality.

Highly recommended!
Vivek Tejuja
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am still reeling under the influence of Strike Your Heart by Amélie Nothomb. It is a short novel (could have been a novella if fifteen pages shorter) but the impact it has is tremendous. What a book! What a treat! And yet, it will drain you emotionally - of almost everything you possess - of course temporarily but it will.

Do not be fooled by its size. 135 pages pack a lot more what 350 pages cannot in most novels. This one is a firecracker and how! While I was reading it initially, I thought
Irina
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, europe, bestsellers
Diane, the daughter of a stunning woman, is desperate for her mother’s love. Alas, having lost her freedom and beauty with motherhood, the latter resents her good-natured daughter. As Diane looking to find a purpose in life without her parent playing any part in it, she finds herself entangled in a very close relationship with another older woman.

Amelie Nothomb is a huge celebrity in the francophone world. Her books fly off the shelves as soon as they come out. Her fans play the game of looking
Speranza
Home is where it hurts.
Charlie
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This has to make my top five favourite of hers, I'm a poor judge because I adore the author but I particularly loved this book. It seems more mature in a way, less impulsive, more thought through and controlled than many of her previous books. Less eccentric also but not any less touching or engrossing.
A page turner.
Satomi
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I learned about this book from Jen Campbell’s BookTube. I am usually not a fun of translated work, but this one was great! I do not know if the author’s writing is this edgy or translator’s is.

I definitely will look for another book of her’s (of course the translated works), and will read! The description of the author explained that She lived in Japan for a while is surely a plus!!
Vicki Camfield
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5
Oh my. This made my heart ache.
The only reason I haven't given this 5 stars is that I'd like approximately 800 more pages.
I devoured this. I need more Amelie Nothomb translations and I need them now.
Emily
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliance, pure brilliance
carissa
" and no one, noticed the death of her childhood."
Franzi Oberrauter
Six random thoughts about that book.

1.) The language's so precise, dry, straight-forward, clean, more observant than expressive. It's not poetical or descriptive but rather explorative and characterising.

2.) The novella views a variety of topics in a consise, but witty, precise to sincere manner; the focus lies on exploring the relationships between women, Marie to her daughter Diane, Diane to her mother and siblings as well as friends or collaegues, characterized in a ruthlessly honest way. N
Sahar Ayachi
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I started this book a few weeks ago, I only read 20 pages, then I couldn't find time to get back to it until 2 days ago. I was at the airport waiting for my plane to board and I started re-reading. Now I am a huge fan of Amélie Nothomb, but even to my biased non-objective perspective, her works always blow my mind somehow. I always have high expectations when I read her books, and I can say I am never disappointed. While reading this book, I was wondering how Amélie will wrap her story around th ...more
kasia
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy Nothomb, and this was one of her better ones. It is a deeply cynical view of other humans, and this text definitely more skews more toward misanthropy than the wry bemusement of some of her other works, but there is just enough human connection to make it bearable. And it is, somehow, funny, and touching, and compulsively readable. I gobbled it up.
Megan McBeath Hay
I don’t usually write a review right after I finish a book, but this time I think I’m ready. This book was an extremely quick read. It’s translated from French so I’m not entirely sure if my perception is because of the translation or the original work. For more than the first half of this book it reads like background and setting the scene. Not telling a story per se but filling in context for Diane. The problem with that is that you don’t totally connect with her (well or anyone really). That ...more
Cheeky Cher
3 stars - It was good.

She had often observed people’s incredible ability to forget: they forgot what didn’t suit them, or rather, they forgot when it suited them to forget - in other words, very often. Now she could sense the intensity of her mother’s pain, and the sincerity of her forgetting.

A terse novel that aptly portrays a narcissistic parent/child relationship, but it does not come close to conveying the gut punching toxicity that David Vann weaved in Aquarium.
---------------------------
Wafaa Darwish
After finishing The Drama of the Gifted Child: The Search for the True Self & while reading Healing the Child Within: Discovery and Recovery for Adult Children of Dysfunctional Families ,i started with this novel (bookclub listed) & couldn't stop until finished, this is this was an excellent example for the books I have been reading.
Perfect timing, as if it was planned.
Adele S.
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I haven’t read a lot of translated works, and I was a little worried about the flow at the very beginning, but I shouldn’t have been. This was heartbreakingly beautiful.

This is an exploration of family, and how insufficient love from a parent affects someone, their future, and their relationships with other women. I loved Diane’s personal growth, and there’s a wicked twist at the end that I absolutely loved. So good, and so worth reading. Go into it with as little knowledge as possible, and enj
Tanya
Jun 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A precise little book about jealousy and how it can unravel the most stoic of people and drive a wedge between those connected by blood. I read it in a couple of hours and it has certainly made me curious to try more books by Nothomb, who is quite a cult sensation in the Francophone literary world. Some elements of Strike Your Heart almost read like a dark fairy tale: a cold, jealous mother whose daughter far outshines her in beauty; a heroine's quest to overcome the beast that is her mother's j ...more
Annika
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There was something vertiginous about being able to sleep whenever she wanted. She would lie down and feel the abyss of sleep open beneath her, she would surrender to the fall and did not even have the time to think about it before she instantly disappeared. If it weren’t for her appetite, she would never have woken up.
(p. 12)
What a strange book! Tiny and mighty -- packs quite a punch. Felt very Elena Ferrante-esque as it was at times equally beautiful and grotesque.
Karim Rhayem
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't put the book down. The story is so simple yet its implications so interesting. Nothomb explores the darkness of a mother-daughter relationship, in this novel full of symbolism and literary references. However, I felt like the beginning progressed at a slow rate, while the ending felt rushed. The ending scene is definitely a winner.
Mostafa Mostafa
Diane
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

"Strike Your Heart" - that's where genius lies -- Alfred de Musset

Diana is the firstborn, one of 3 children born to Marie and her pharmacist husband. Marie was used to being the pretty girl everyone envied, but when she became pregnant at 20 with Diana, she wasn't expecting how much her life would change. After Diana was born, she becomes the center of attention and, Marie's jealousy causes her to shun her infant daughter and become a cold, distant mother. This behavior by Marie was even more ev
Bonnie McCune
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Learning from Painful Experience: Written with such delicate nuances and so finely drawn, Nothomb can eliminate the multitude of pages other writers might need to tell a similar story. This book was my introduction to a well known French novelist. Exquisite, the story of a woman from infancy to mid-30s as she struggles with—then wins over—neglect, disrespect, frustration, lack of love—to become a successful surgeon and close friend of another who might otherwise fall into the same patterns she f ...more
Christopher
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is flirting with five star territory. I found it at this brand new, awesome library in town, and I found it and the blurb said something about Nothomb being a French revelation from the seventies, and I gave it a chance. Turns out, I read the whole thing in a day, which isn't saying a whole lot since it's just 140 pages, but that's rare for me.

It bears a striking resemblance to Doris Lessing's The Fifth Child. They're both about the strained relationships between parent and child who,
« previous 1 3 next »

• Plonger
  • Le Livre Secret Des Fourmis
  • Khalil
  • Vi
  • The Simply Vegan Cookbook: Easy, Healthy, Fun, and Filling Plant-Based Recipes Anyone Can Cook
  • Bad Blood (Emily Swanson #0)
  • Dieu et nous seuls pouvons
  • Ce que je sais de Vera Candida
  • La Brute
  • Ulysse From Bagdad
  • Le Transperceneige : Intégrale
  • Will You Ever Change?
  • La Forêt des ombres
Amélie Nothomb, born Fabienne Claire Nothomb, was born in Etterbeek, Belgium on 9 July 1966, to Belgian diplomats. Although Nothomb claims to have been born in Japan, she actually began living in Japan at the age of two until she was five years old. Subsequently, she lived in China, New York, Bangladesh, Burma, the United Kingdom (Coventry) and Laos.
She is from a distinguished Belgian political fa
“But no one would ever have dared make fun of her, even in private: there was something about her that inspired fear and discouraged meanness.” 1 likes
“Fidèle à son inexorable habitude, la vie continua.” 1 likes