Start by marking “The Golden Key” as Want to Read:
The Golden Key

The Golden Key

An extraordinary, page-turning Gothic mystery set in the wilds of the Norfolk Fens from the BSFA-shortlisted author.

London, 1901. After the death of Queen Victoria the city heaves with the uncanny and the eerie. Séances are held and the dead are called upon from darker realms.

Samuel Moncrieff, recovering from a recent tragedy of his own, meets Helena Walton-Cisneros, one
Expected publication: February 18th 2020 by Titan Books

To ask other readers questions about The Golden Key, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Golden Key

Start your review of The Golden Key
Vincent Desjardins
This book was a real disappointment which is a shame because it has so many elements that I typically enjoy - end of the Victorian era setting, spiritualism, seances, fairyland, changelings, mystery, spooky atmosphere, strong female character, etc. But unfortunately the book's structure seemed a bit of a mess. It was like the author had constructed a connect the dots puzzle, and probably had a good idea in her own head of what she was attempting, but she left out too many of the dots for a ...more
Kendall Culbertson
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2020
2.5 stars, I think. This was a great storyline that wasn’t executed in the best way for me. I found myself having a hard time following what was happening. The writing style is lyrical but also occasionally confusing. The book left me wanting more of some things and less of others. All in all an ok, quick read.
Lucy
A feminist Gothic fantasy that combines 'Alice in Wonderland' and the fairy tales of Lewis Carroll with the Spiritualist and suffragette movements in England just after the death of Queen Victoria. The author’s lyrical writing conveys an elegant sense of mystery and other worldliness.
Maggie May
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was ok
A good idea poorly executed. All of the vagueness and skipping around was obviously meant to create mystery but it just kept me from getting into the story.
Caryn Shaffer
Danni Jervis
Dec 05, 2019
Rachel
Dec 06, 2019

• Ninth House (Alex Stern, #1)
  • Orion Lost
  • Anne Frank's Diary: The Graphic Adaptation
  • Skippyjon Jones
  • Way of the Waves
  • Just Dog
  • Of Blood and Bone (Chronicles of The One, #2)
  • The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs
  • Fake Blood
  • Paper Girls, Vol. 1
  • House of Trelawney
  • The Love Story of Missy Carmichael
  • Adults
Marian Womack is a bilingual writer born in Andalusia and educated at the universities of Glasgow and Oxford. She is currently completing a part-time Masters Degree in Creative Writing at Cambridge University, and recently graduated from the Clarion Fantasy and Science-Fiction Writer’s Workshop at USCD. She is co-editor of the academic book Beyond the Back Room: New Perspectives on Carmen Martín ...more