Start by marking “Naked in Death (In Death #1)” as Want to Read:
Naked in Death (In Death #1)

Naked in Death

(In Death #1)

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  161,135 ratings  ·  5,907 reviews
Here is the novel that started it all- the first book in J.D. Robb's number-one New York Times-bestselling In Death series, featuring New York homicide detective Lieutenant Eve Dallas and Roarke.

Mass Market Paperback, 306 pages
Published July 1st 1995 by Berkley Publishing Group
Featured Notes & Highlights
J.D. Robb
J.D. Robb - author, mystery and romance

To ask other readers questions about Naked in Death, please sign up.
Barbara Rogers I would definitely suggest reading them in order. I read one of the later ones first -- and it does read okay as a stand-alone -- but there were so ma…moreI would definitely suggest reading them in order. I read one of the later ones first -- and it does read okay as a stand-alone -- but there were so many interpersonal relationships that you just don't understand unless you read them in order. I went from the one I started on -- somewhere in the 20's of the series -- back to the very first one and read from the first one forward -- to the one I had read out of order -- and then I re-read that one. It made a big difference to me in those character relationships.(less)
Karen Check your local library Overdrive has the series available for download. I have enjoyed the audio book version

·  161,135 ratings  ·  5,907 reviews

Start your review of Naked in Death (In Death #1)
Tatiana
Aug 20, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: romance readers
Recommended to Tatiana by: Emily May
Shelves: romancelandia, dnf
... and I was enjoying it up until too swift of a turn into Romancelandia.

The popularity of Naked in Death is completely understandable to me. The attraction here is the same as in the most of urban fantasy IMO. Mystery-solving, some world-building (in this case, futuristic instead of paranormal) - it all is only background noise. What you are actually anticipating is the heroine's hookup with some handsome hunk. (That's what I read urban fantasy for anyway.) And the hunk here is something speci
Val ⚓️ Shameless Non-Snowflake ⚓️
4 Stars

This was solid.
Fast paced.
Sexy.
Fun.

And old.
Seriously though, there are, what, only 40 thousand books in the series after this one? Lol

Regardless, I see why - I have not a damn thing to add to the multitude of reviews on this - and I look forward to the next one.

Follow us on facebook Follow us on instagram
Hulya Kara Yuksel
4th read :11th January,2020
3rd read : 29th June,2019
2nd read : 31th December,2018
1st read : 4th May,2015

Even the re-reads are so great. 🙂🙂🙂 I just love Eve & Roarke sooooo much. ❤❤❤

He took her hand, lifted it to his lips. Nothing could have pleased him more than the quick suspicion on her face. "You won't forget me, Eve. You'll think of me, perhaps not fondly, but you'll think of me."
"I'm in the middle of a murder investigation. You're part of it. Sure, I'll think of you."
"Darling," he began,
A.
3.5 Stars

I’d been postponing reading this series for a long time and I’m so glad I finally caved because it was right up my alley.

The thing is, I love murder mysteries and crime-solving books with a touch of romance but the futuristic aspect? Sorry, not my jam.
I don’t like anything futuristic/sci-fi/fantasy related. I never connect to such stories. I don’t know why. Maybe I’m unimaginative and dull. Maybe they scare me.

It’s stupid, I know, but look at it this way. How much older am I than Roar
Mo
Dec 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourite-ever
I started this series with a bit of trepidation back in 2015. I knew that JD Robb also wrote as Nora Roberts and I had read another book by Ms Roberts and hated it ... so I was a bit wary about starting the In Death books. But I had heard great things about Roarke. Another reason that put me off reading this series is because he is Irish and, being Irish, if it is not done right, it drives me nuts. But she pulled it off. He is perfection.

I am already up to book 19 but decided to head back to bo
Shawna
Re-read/listened to the audiobook version Jan'19 :

Nora Roberts/J.D. Robb is such a prolific author, and the In Death series is exceptional and incomparable and one of my all-time favorites. After reading all 47 books and eagerly awaiting the 48th book, Connections in Death, I decided to revisit the beginning. It's still a great crime/mystery/suspense read and Eve and Roarke will forever remain one of the absolute best romantic pairings there is.

Original read/review :

5+ stars – Crime/Myste
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

For those of you who don't already know, J.D. Robb is an alternate pen name for Nora Roberts. I only read my first Nora Roberts' book about a year ago, and was--to put it mildly--pleasantly surprised.

I'd always assumed that Roberts wrote cornball Walmart-paperback-romances for-your-grandmother, and when I saw a new book with "Witch" in the title, I figured she had jumped on the paranormal train, but was curious enough to check it out.

It was kind of amazing.

And w
 Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~*
May 26, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* by: Ren, and Buggy's and Jasmin's review becoming "Roarke Groupies"
4 Stars - Also reviewed at: Lady Jayne's Reading Den

Okay, here’s the quick and dirty... well, sort of. Naked In Death is the first book in the daunting (almost 40 books!!... and still growing) “In Death” series by Nora Roberts, writing as J.D. Robb. I kept putting off reading it, for that very reason.

Though, after recent reviews by Goodreads friends who have joined the growing legion of “Roarke Groupies”, I was most curious to read this book to find out for myself what the fuss is over Roar
Michelle
Aug 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
This is the first J.D. Robb/Nora Roberts book I have read. I have read glowing reviews about the series, but I was a bit hesitant to start a commitment to it. Then, I have come upon a verse from one of the books:

"Oh, but it is you, darling Eve. Just as that taste is you, the smell, the look, the sound. You've undone me."

- "Glory in Death"

I think it was devastatingly beautiful! The object of Eve's undoing piqued my interest, so I went on and borrowed the first 2 books.

"Naked in Death" is about
Sh3lly
Hey, if you're interested in starting a fifty book series (yes, that's 50), this one is only $2.99 on Kindle.

Previous post:
I finally get to cross this one off my TBR shelf - and I quite enjoyed it!! :)

For being written in the 90s, this holds up pretty darn well. In a way, there may not be a whole lot of uniqueness going on - it's a cop murder mystery - but it flows quite well and kept my interest. I grew to like Eve, the police lieutenant, and Roarke, the roguish millionaire (billionaire?) who i
Warda
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has been on my shelf for years. Then I decided to unhaul it. But before I got rid of the books, I looked through the stacks again and this book called out to me. (Marie Kondo was right!) So I listened and saved this book. And I’m so glad I did because I’m about to marathon the shit out of the 40+ books that are in this series.

The main female character, Eve, was badass. The male character is super alpha, but Eve stands her ground! Solid, incredibly intelligent, bad-ass cop who fights fo
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish

Spectacular!!!

5 stars!

No, wait! 5+++++ Amazing, Thrilling, Provocative Stars!

The Story -

Naked in Death is the first book in J.D. Robb’s insanely popular In Death series. It’s a fantastic mystery thriller and once I started, I couldn't put it down...errr...turn it off!
It is the year 2058, and technology now completely rules the world. But New York City Detective Eve Dallas knows that the irresistible impulses of the human heart are still ruled by just one thing-passion.

When a senator's daugh
Jilly
Jun 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
This is a book that was written over 20 years ago, but is set in the future. And, you can tell. I don't know why, but it just feels like it was written a while back.

great prediction, Jetsons. It's called a "roomba" and doesn't wear an apron..

But, I still liked all of the futuristic stuff in the story - it was fun! There was the "AutoChef" that made you food, a floating mattress - I'm thinking that would be soft and comfy, flying cars - I've been waiting forever for one of these!, tubes of Pepsi
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
5 I Should Have Read This Sooner Stars

So, I started this book 4 days ago and now I'm already reading book 4 so you can guess that I loved this, the book and the series so far.

The first book was great. It had everything, a kick-ass heroine with a bad past, a powerful, slightly shady and richer than Midas hero, a great mystery and a serial killer, all that set in a futuristic world which was surprisingly well thought and realistic for a book written 20 years ago when even cell phones were a rarity
Julie
Apr 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had never read a single book in this series. Fans know there are a great many of them now. I read the synopis on the back of the book and was instantly put off by the futuristic setting. I really don't like Science fiction and anything set in the future. History is my big thing. But, I kept hearing how good these books were, so I picked up a used copy of the first one and could not put it down.
Now, if you have read Nora Roberts and think this is some extension of her other stuff, think again.
Felicia
Dec 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I am addicted to this series, I absolutely love it, and it gets better as it goes along (I'm on book 5 now).

It's romance/mystery, so if you like a splash of sex with your serial killers, this is the series for you!!
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘

Huh. I guess I *might* have been able to get behind the instalove and other corny quotes if the love interest's MO hadn't been following some kind of Abuser 101 Guide : indeed Roarke repeatedly uses both physical force and psychological harassment to manipulate the heroine into thinking that what they share is a love story. Oh hell no dude, red flags everywhere. I have no patience for Christian Grey's duplicates (or, rather : inspiration?? Naked in Death was published years before and the simila
♥Sharon♥
Nov 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing

Even better the second time around! LOVED LOVED LOVED it. ❤️

❤️❤️I’ve been missing these two. Going back to the beginning of a series that I LOVE. ❤️❤️

************

I loved Naked in Death which is book #1 in the In Death Series by J.D. Robb. As I write this I can say I loved book #2 as well (I’ll be writing a short review soon). And I am on to book #3 and loving it already. A lot of love going on here but rightfully so. I sure hope it continues through the 40 or so books within this series. YES I s
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
I liked this as a mystery just as much as I liked it as a romance. Love a good mystery that keeps me guessing. I had my ideas about who the culprit was, and I was more or less right, although I had that kernel of doubt. I liked how this was a very well-plotted mystery. I think that it helped that the underlying aspects were so dark that I didn't think the story would go there.

Eve is a great protagonist. She's tough, intelligent, but vulnerable in some ways. She's a very good cop, and she goes a
Sharon
I have been intending to start this series for such a long time and finally I did and boy what a start it was. I can now fully understand why this has been such a popular series.

Naked in Death had all the mystery, suspense, crime and intrigue that you would want with twist and turns that kept me turning the pages rather quickly. I can’t wait to read the next book in the series. Highly recommended.
Lady Gabriella of Awesomeness (SLOW)
★★★★★ 5 Suspense-Filled stars ★★★★★

Its true in all my reading time,I've never really picked up a Nora Robert so far.Its true in this case I did judge the book by its cover.Every time I passed a book store to pick up my reads I always tended to shy away from the Pure Romance section,and chose Mystery-Romance Or Erotica-Romance or another combination over Chic-lite or Angst.
After all there was always next month.

And when I heard J.D Robb was an Alias of Nora Robert.I was quite excited to give this
Rachel Reads Ravenously
2 stars

Unfortunately this book just wasn't for me. It started out strong, but by the last 100 pages I no longer cared what happened to the characters. I've never been a huge Nora Robert's fan, I find her romance too cheesy/formulaic for my taste. But I wanted to give this series a chance.
I happen to be in a reading/reviewing slump, it's hard for me to review book that were just "meh" for me. So I'm going to break this down.

What didn't work:
-the plot: it was all over the place, half romance hal
Alex ♈
Suspense – 5 stars / Romance – 3 stars

What could I say about this book to sound fancy?
Nothing. You said it all.

Why did I wait so long to start this series? -> How original?..
I can’t believe this book was written more than 20 years ago! -> Never heard it before?

Blah blah blah

I liked it. Crime and suspense were written brilliantly.
I cracked the secret/suspense at approx.. 60% *pat myself on the back*

As to the romance part – I’m not sure.
I expected the heroine being bigger badass, and I imagined
Karla
Jul 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Karla by: Carol
4 stars!

So this a 40 plus book series with the same couple! Yup! I think I lost my mind since I rarely even finish a trilogy! But I can’t help myself it seems since, it’s Nora Roberts we’re talking about.

Anyway as far as book one goes I loved it! In till I started reading this one I hadn’t realize that this is a futuristic series which for me made it even better.

We have detective Eve Dallas, who is investigating the death of the senator daughter’s. During the investigation she meets the gorgeo
Emma
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I feel slightly embarrassed to admit I absolutely loved this. A great combination of romance and crime. I really liked the fact that Roarke was completely into Eve from the first time he met her. I really enjoyed the slight sci fi elements too. So pleased to see there are many in the series as they are perfect as a light read. I just hope they don't become too formulaic.
Recommended.
Phrynne
Jan 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a reread for me but the last time I read it was probably 1998 or thereabouts. It was such a delight to read it again. When J.D. Robb wrote this first book in what was then going to be just a trilogy I wonder if she had any idea of what she had created. 40 or so books later we all feel we own a little bit of Eve and Roarke and their amazing world and we are always waiting for more!
I love Naked in Death. It introduces us to our two most important characters, begins their delightful relatio
Catherine
*Originally read 12/10/10 - 12/11/10*

I've known about this series for quite a while, and I'm a big Nora Roberts fan, but I hadn't really wanted to pick this series up. There's about a billion books out in the series. What if I ended up loving it? Then I have to commit myself to buying those billion books just to catch up! But after hearing such glowing things about this series from most of my Goodreads friends--especially about Roarke--I had to finally bight the bullet and get the first book.

Bark
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reread on audio. I read this book back when it was first released and as I started the audio I quickly realized my memory is not at all good! I wonder if it'll live up to my painfully vague memories of it?

Later:

I read this when was it first released in 1995 and decided to give it a reread on audio hoping it would hold up so many, many years later. 23 years later, actually! How did that happen? This book is older than my kids. Older, probably, than a few of my friends here too! Obviously, I remem
C.G. Drews
Feb 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Reading this was way way out of my comfort zone of usual reads and...I think that was a big reason why I enjoyed it too. Just something different! I've watched a lot of crimey/murdery shows but never actually read a book like it. Am doing something DIFFERENT HERE. Also I liked how it's set in 2058, the futuristic differences are subtle but cool, and totally terrifying because I suppose 2058 isn't that far away. [goes away to die quietly]

Basically we follow Eve Dallas who is a badass detective/co
Holly
There's something discombobulating about reading a book set in the future that was written 23 years ago - because some of the future "technology" described does in fact already exist (books on 'disc' for example). There was also some interesting conversations about guns and gun violence in this book, which is very applicable right now with all the gun violence legislation being discussed in Florida and nationally right now. So all that together kind of kept me from being immersed in the book ful ...more

• Chasing Fire
  • 1st to Die (Women's Murder Club, #1)
  • Festive in Death: by JD Robb | Summary & Analysis
  • One for the Money (Stephanie Plum, #1)
  • A is for Alibi (Kinsey Millhone, #1)
  • Concealed in Death: by J. D. Robb -- Review
  • Postmortem (Kay Scarpetta, #1)
  • Along Came a Spider (Alex Cross, #1)
  • Vision in White (Bride Quartet, #1)
  • Dream Man
  • Déjà Dead (Temperance Brennan, #1)
  • Concealed in Death: by J. D. Robb -- Sidekick
  • Cry No More
  • The Witness
  • Born in Fire (Born In Trilogy, #1)
  • Deadly Fear (Deadly, #1)
  • Janet Evanovich Three and Four Two-Book Set (Stephanie Plum, #3-4)
  • A Time to Kill (Jake Brigance, #1)
J.D. Robb is the author of the #1 New York Times bestselling In Death series and the pseudonym for #1 New York Times bestselling author Nora Roberts. The futuristic suspense series stars Eve Dallas, a New York City police lieutenant with a dark past. Initially conceived as a trilogy, readers clamored for more of Eve and the mysterious Roarke. Leverage in Death, on sale September 2018, is the 47th ...more

In Death (1 - 10 of 52 books)
  • Glory in Death (In Death, #2)
  • Immortal in Death (In Death, #3)
  • Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)
  • Ceremony in Death (In Death, #5)
  • Vengeance in Death (In Death, #6)
  • Holiday in Death (In Death, #7)
  • Conspiracy in Death (In Death, #8)
  • Loyalty in Death (In Death, #9)
  • Witness in Death (In Death, #10)
  • Judgment in Death (In Death, #11)

Articles featuring this book

With clever detectives, missing jewels, murderous women, daring spies, and more, mysteries and thrillers deliver page-turning delight with ever...
“I want to see you again." He stopped, took her face in his hands. "I need to see you again."

Her pulse jumped, as if it had nothing to do with the rest of her. "Roarke, what's going on here?"

"Lieutenant." He leaned forward, touched his lips to hers. "indications are we're having a romance.”
254 likes
“You--Roarke." Eyes watering, she reached for more tissue. "Jesus, Eve. Jesus Christ, you never sleep with anybody. And you're telling me you slept with Roarke?"

"That's not precisely accurate. We didn't sleep.”
134 likes