Start by marking “Rachel's Children: Stories from a Contemporary Native American Woman” as Want to Read:
Rachel's Children: Stories from a Contemporary Native American Woman

Rachel's Children: Stories from a Contemporary Native American Woman

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  9 Ratings  ·  4 Reviews
Rachel's Children is a true story, based on real events. It is an engaging and humorous account of a contemporary Ojibwa household and the woman and her children who are at its core. As their lives unfold, we understand how traditional beliefs and oral history help Rachel and her family cope as they encounter racism and educational discrimination in rural northern Michigan ...more
Published June 16th 2004 by Altamira Press

To ask other readers questions about Rachel's Children, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rachel's Children

Lisa Patrell
Mar 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
I suspect that this book is at least a bit autobiographical. As Louise is well-known regionally and perhaps wider, as a Native American w/Anishinabeh heritage (Odawa, Ojibwa, and Potawatomi)with many traditional skills to teach.

My personal Louise Beardslee collection began with a trio of tales for young children on cassette tapes. We wore out 2 of them! Then I came across a print for my elder daughter. Then I have birch bark bite totem for myself. Then I included her volume, Lies to Live By, a
Arielle
Jun 04, 2010 rated it liked it
In terms of being a critique of racism/cultural appropriation/look at the life of a modern Ojibwa woman, this book deseres four stars. In terms of readability, the book is far too descriptive at times, and deserves three stars. Thus the average. Definitely unique though, and recommended for those interested in women's studies, american indian studies, and mythology.
Lisa
Aug 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
The timing of coming across this book was perfect for me. After collecting Lois Beardlee oral stories (on cassette) and traditional bite-work and prints and an anthology, I was completely chagrinned by author's point-of-view.
Theresa
Feb 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
A heartwarming story of an Indigenous woman living her life close to her family and making the best of a hard life. Even with a PhD, the author still struggles to find a place in the dominant world.
Elizabeth Day