Start by marking “Voices of Cancer: What We Really Want, What We Really Need” as Want to Read:
Voices of Cancer: What We Really Want, What We Really Need

Voices of Cancer: What We Really Want, What We Really Need

it was amazing 5.00  ·  Rating details ·  37 ratings  ·  25 reviews
"I don't know what to say" and "I don't know what to do" are common responses to a life-threatening diagnosis. Voices of Cancer is here to help. Every cancer story is different, but there is one commonality: both patients and the people supporting them often struggle to properly articulate their wants and needs through particularly challenging‚ and in many cases, uncharted ...more
Published October 1st 2019 by Mascot Books

To ask other readers questions about Voices of Cancer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Voices of Cancer

it was amazing Average rating 5.00  ·

Start your review of Voices of Cancer: What We Really Want, What We Really Need
Shirley
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is awesome for the cancer patient as well as the caregiver and family members just to kind of get an idea of what is going on and what would be greatly appreciated and assistance along the way. My sister passed away of breast cancer reading this and looking back I had ignored some obvious signs that she wanted help I wished I would’ve had this book before awesome read .
JR Wolters
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
True for any form of disability, Voices of Cancer depicts a mind set of Cancer patients and anyone with a debilitating disability. Lynda's writing flows into you and makes you feel the words as well as understand them. Her sincere warm and honest approach to an awful and menacing disease is not only warranted but wanted by most sufferers and caregivers. Lynda puts into words the feelings and emotions that sufferers only wish they could muster the strength and courage to tell their loved ones whe ...more
Cody
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is a wonderful and well-written read. It's partly a behind-the-scenes look at what cancer patients go through, but also gives patients and loved ones an idea of what to expect during treatment. It's a helpful guide for those who don't know what to say or don't know what to do when a friend or loved one receives a cancer diagnosis. What I found stunning, and caused me some self-reflection, is that too often friends disappear when a patient is going through treatment because they don't k ...more
Mark Kimsey
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was very moved by this book. The writing style is very direct and powerful. I not only had a father die of a blood cancer, but I am also a physician in a mental health practice with patients over the years in various stages of early diagnosis, treatment, recovery, late stage disease and dying of cancers. In spite of my experiences, I found out there was a lot I didn't know about these illnesses and how to interact with people who have them. Almost all of us will have loved ones, friends, or ac ...more
Mary
Shelves: complete
My first thought was, oh my gosh, this is awesome. As I read through it more though, as a mother whose daughter had cancer, I see that I should have gotten help to understand what she was going through because I didn’t know how to handle the word cancer; and to have my baby have it was almost too much. The book is so good and so informative. If someone knows someone that just got diagnosed, this would immediately help them. This book would also help with any other kind of big life issue; it is j ...more
Shar Olsen
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Almost all of us know someone who is a victim of cancer or loves/supports/cares for someone with Cancer. This is a MUST read. My husband died from this horrible disease and the book helped me better understand how and what he felt as he fought his battle. I appreciated the viewpoint from the "patient" as well as the "non-patient." This book can help you understand viewpoints from both perspectives. You will learn the importance of "being there" for those fighting and you will learn the right wor ...more
Chris Taylor
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm a cancer patient. I have Non Hogkins Lymphoma.
I met Lynda when I went to Epic Experience cancer survivor camp as a volunteer and Lynda was a camper.
She has a light in her that touches everyone. Her great big smile and sense of humor was contagious.
This is one of the best books I have ever read about what a cancer patient has to endure.
I have to read the book a second time so I can use a highlighter cause there are so many good parts I want to remember.
Jennifer Ellsworth
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Voices of Cancer: What We Really Want, What We Really Need Is a must-read for anyone who is going through or is supporting someone going through cancer. Lynda offers insight that only a person who is going through this journey can parley. Lynda Wolters is a gifted writer and makes reading a difficult subject easy and relatable.
Diane Gross
This book is an exceptional insight to cancer from the perspective of a cancer survivor. Lynda writes from the heart as she discusses the hard topics that people don't know how to discuss and are afraid to talk about. We all know someone facing this challenge. What a wonderful gift this is for the patient, family, caregiver - everyone, to help understand the feelings, emotions and fear when faced with cancer . As the widow of a spouse who lost his battle, I wish we had read the book. Everyone ca ...more
Nancy Buffington
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a life-changing book. I don't know anyone these days who hasn't been touched by cancer, and we still don't know how to deal with it: what to say, what to do, what to really expect as patients or caregivers or friends. Voices of Cancer cuts through that silence and confusion with clear, kind insights and advice. Sadly, I've been able to use much of its wisdom already in the couple of weeks since I read it.
Hanna Serdynski
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A book that is long overdue. Providing insight with talented writing and personal experience, Lynda sheds truth on a terrible disease. Every healthy person who reads this will leave each page assessing their interactions, effort, and connections, to whoever they thought of when they picked up this book. It is honest learning, and things that needed to be said. It is a powerful piece of work that bridges the gap between terminal disease and connection.
Bradley Glassel
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As a cancer survivor I found this book to be so powerful and spot on. It is great for survivors to validate their feelings, but it may be more important for family, friends and caregivers to read. the journey of cancer survivors is complex and varied, this book explores those areas and gives great ideas on the approach to help soften the impact. It is so important to be educated on survivors challenges during this devastating time, please read and pass on to everyone you know touched by cancer.
Joni Freel
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this book from cover to cover and recommend it without hesitation. Lynda is open and honest and touches on all of the hard to talk about topics. It is not only beneficial for cancer patients, but for their loved ones, caregivers and friends alike. You should definitely take the time to read this book- you won’t regret it!
Kecia Mortenson
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Linda writes this beautifully and helps those of us without cancer to better relate and communicate more comfortably with our friends and family dealing with cancer through better understanding of what they feel, need and want. If you know someone with cancer and don't know what to say or how to help, her book will break that barrier.
Nikki Kern
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book because it is a gathering of stories. Not just the author’s story, but that of many patients. I loved this book because it was so raw and honest. It made me laugh and it made me cry. Through her personal journey and catharsis, the author shares her deeply personal revelations and ultimately lays out advice we should all consider, no matter our situation in life.
Kathy Ilk Trujillo
Wanda
Sep 26, 2019 added it
The author is candid and has a way of making you feel like you're sitting down, having a cup of tea and conversation with her. Her passion is unmistakable. This book is a must-read for cancer patients, their families, friends and caregivers!
Stacie Gross
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This beautiful work captures the tenderness of sacred stories, and healing to those facing such an overwhelming process. Honest, and rich with sincerity, Lynda Wolters invites the reader in to the heart of the matter. As an author, her outpouring of stories are a gift. I am encouraged to watch her continue to impact those around her, through compassion and the wisdom she shares.
Carolyn Blackhurst
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This powerful book not only provides insights on how to be present for people who are battling cancer, but also how to live life with intention. Lynda’s humor and compassion for people shines in Voices of Cancer.
Tracey Crosley
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Voices of Cancer reflects Lynda Wolter’s love for people. To craft a piece like this must have required hours upon hours of listening to frustration and heartbreak. Only a special writer could pull this off. And she did. Bravo.
Nancy
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I could not put this book down and finished in one day.
Julie Anderson
Amazing book and author! Everyone needs to read this because cancer touches everyone in some way. So well written. Thank you Lynda Wolters!
Kathleen Grant
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It was a very insightful and easy to read book. After reading it, I immediately loaned it to a neighbor who was also just starting treatment for cancer.
Joanne Wolters
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is an emotional, educational eye opener for everyone to read. It’s so well written, it behooves anyone involved with cancer patients, even student nurses and beginning caregivers that enter into the job market, to read this book. It’s beautifully written by someone who has personal experiences and who has spoken with so many cancer patients and caregivers about any type of cancer. It is not just for people with cancer, it could also be understood by people suffering from other terminal ...more
Tami
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lynda is truly on point with all the feelings and emotions that go with receiving news of cancer. She also is has very insightful tips and advice for those watching from the outside and caregivers. I highly recommend this book if you or a loved is diagnosed with cancer!
Brandi Cash
Louis Chinn
Sep 27, 2019
Jennifer Babione
Oct 01, 2019

• Sweet Little Lies (Cat Kinsella, #1)
  • Things You Save in a Fire
  • Winter in Paradise (Paradise, #1)
  • Little Weirds
  • Never Split the Difference: Negotiating As If Your Life Depended On It
  • Lifelines
  • Dopesick: Dealers, Doctors, and the Drug Company that Addicted America
  • Hawaii
  • The Skeleton in the Closet (Southern Ghost Hunter Mysteries, #2)
  • A Ghostly Gift (Southern Ghost Hunter mysteries, #1.5)
  • Martyred
  • All the F*cking Mistakes: A Guide to Sex, Love, and Life
  • Red, White & Royal Blue
  • Lizzie Bright and the Buckminster Boy
  • How We Fight For Our Lives
  • Know My Name
  • The War I Finally Won (The War That Saved My Life, #2)
  • Dad Is Fat
Lynda Wolters was born and raised in a tiny farming community of 400 in northern Idaho. She worked on the family farm until graduation where she moved to New York and then on to Las Vegas to complete her schooling.

She moved back to Idaho to raise her three sons and continues to reside there with her husband and long-haired miniature dachshund, Tucker "Bug."

Lynda works in a law firm in