Start by marking “Beast (Six Stories, #4)” as Want to Read:
Beast (Six Stories, #4)

Beast

(Six Stories #4)

Elusive online journalist Scott King examines the chilling case of a young vlogger found frozen to death in the legendary local ‘vampire tower’, in another explosive episode of Six Stories…

In the wake of the 'Beast from the East' cold snap that ravaged the UK in 2018, a grisly discovery was made in a ruin on the Northumbrian coast. Twenty-four-year-old vlogger, Elizabeth
Published February 6th 2020 by Orenda Books (first published December 20th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Beast, please sign up.
Daren Sadie is a YA novel that's told in the podcast format. Not as literally a podcast as this series, but still has the interview/interviewee format, as…moreSadie is a YA novel that's told in the podcast format. Not as literally a podcast as this series, but still has the interview/interviewee format, as well as POV takes from the podcaster and the missing subject of the story.(less)

Start your review of Beast (Six Stories, #4)
Blair
(3.5) Over the last few years, Matt Wesolowski's Six Stories books have become a winter tradition for me, and last year's Changeling was the highlight of the series so far. Not only was it an astoundingly clever and cunning piece of storytelling, it also brought podcast host Scott King to the fore, integrating the series' narrator into the story ingeniously. I reread it over Christmas, and I still find it astonishing.

I mention all this because Changeling was always going to be a very tough act
Louise Beech
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Oh my God. I get so excited when a Wesolowski comes out and he always goes RIGHT TO THE TOP of my book pile. And this was worth putting everything aside for. He is a genius. He always takes a traditional legend or tale and tells it with a shocking or surprising modern day slant. This time we have vampires. And boy, do they live among us. That is ALL I will say. I can't believe I'll have to wait another year for his next one! WRITE FASTER MAN!
Shalini
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
WHAT THE FREAK!! This was bloody brilliant, if I may say so. Matt Wesolowski is one mad-hatter with a concept so far out that I was blown out of my F mind. I started with this book before I went back to read book 1.

A girl frozen to death and three accused with 6 witnesses and a journalist with his own crime podcast were all in this book. 6 stories from the witnesses and I was capitulated into a different world so away from my reality.

My first book by this author, I bought the first 3 books,
Eva
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Goodness gracious me. What do they put in Matt Wesolowski’s food?!

Another year, another episode in the absolutely brilliant Six Stories series. If you’re not reading this series, I’m judging you like you wouldn’t believe. And if this fourth book in the series doesn’t get under your skin and make you think about the truly warped-up world we live in these days, there is something really wrong with you.

Scott King, our not-so-much-elusive-anymore online podcaster, travels to the, quite frankly,
The Tattooed Book Geek (Drew).
This review can also be found on my blog The Tattooed Book Geek: https://thetattooedbookgeek.wordpress...

Six Stories is a popular podcast hosted by Scott King. The premise is simple, six stories from six different people all with links to a specific case told over six episodes. King uses the podcast to look into cold cases and unsolved mysteries where he delves deep in search of answers to unanswered questions and the truth surrounded the case.

Beast is the fourth book in the Six Stories series.
Kelly Van Damme
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’m pretty sure the format is fairly well known by now, but for those of you who are new to the series: Six Stories is a fictional podcast hosted and created by Scott King. Beast is Scott King’s fourth outing, and I’m here to tell you: I’m ready for however many more Matt Wesolowski can come up with! As always, Scott King talks to six people who each tell him (and us) their story, their side of the events. The case at hand seems pretty cut and dried, rather black and white, a girl is dead and ...more
Yvonne (It's All About Books)

Finished reading: January 21st 2020

"All anyone has to say is that they wonder why they did it, those three. That’s how it is these days. The killers become the story. The criminals are more exciting than the victims."

*** A copy of this book was kindly provided to me by the publisher in exchange for an honest review. Thank you! ***

(view spoiler)
The Coycaterpillar Reads
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What an absolute Beast! Fist bumps all round to Matt Wesolowski. The premise of a pod cast that investigates true crime is always going to warm my soul. This is my first rodeo reading this author, but it will not be the last. I’m going to immediately order the six stories series. Rest assured you can read this as a standalone, I did, and I didn’t find myself grappling for more back story information.

This book has everything to get you through the remainder of the cold winter dark nights.
James
Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is the fourth novel in the author’s Six Stories series and once again we’re with podcaster Scott King as he investigates a mysterious event over six episodes, in each one speaking to someone with a different perspective of what occurred.

King has journeyed to the small town of Ergath on the north east coast of England, to investigate the grisly murder of Elizabeth Barton, a beauty and lifestyle YouTube vlogger. Elizabeth was participating in a viral internet challenge, the Dead in Six Days
Danielle
Dec 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
*Holds on to breaches and rolls from heal to toes* Well, what do we have here? Another chilling Wesolowski rollercoaster, that's what we have. How does he do it? It's an unbelievable talent it is, through the use of his words Matt executes an unsettling read that entwines aspects of societal issues with the snowy covering of horrifying warpness! Through multi-narration, including that of Scott King and six individual's close to the victim in question - YouTube channel host, Elizabeth Barton, as ...more
Patricia
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Any one who is familiar with the Six Stories series by Matt Wesolowski will expect this current edition to be brilliant. And they would not be wrong. Brilliant, terrifying (in more ways than one), and insightful.

It also brought back the terror of high school and wanting to fit in. As one who went to several schools, I am extremely familiar with that feeling. And extremely familiar with the Elizabeths of this world.

I adored each and every interview and how each one advanced the story. You will
Thebooktrail
Visit the locations in BEAST the novel

Just when you think it's safe to venture back onto the Northumberland coast and moors....

Six Stories is a series that just keeps getting better and better. This arrived just before Christmas and I immediately wanted to dive in. Vampires and legends in Northumberland? Yes please? A vlogger found in a pele tower? A youngsters prank gone wrong? The blurb says the book will look at our obsession with needing attention on social media so there's the modern
Between The Pages Book Club (Gemma M)
I have been waiting for so long for this book I just couldn’t wait to read it and had to sneak it in before the end of the year. Boy I was not disappointed. Kept me up late into the night reading it. I am absolutely loving this series, it just gets better and better doesn’t it? Very happy. Very impressed. The perfect book to end the year on.
As usual brilliantly written, gripping, thrilling and chilling. A real page turner. I was hooked. I needed to know the answers as much as Scott. The outcome
Mairead Hearne (swirlandthread.com)
'A frozen girl
A haunted town
A deadly challenge
Six Stories
Which one is true?'

Beast is the fourth book in the Six Stories series of books featuring the elusive, online podcast journalist, Scott King. Written by Matt Wesolowski, this series has been longlisted for the Theakston Old Peculiar Crime Novel of the year and shortlisted in two categories for Amazon Publishing Readers Award 2019.

Published with Orenda Books February 6th, Beast is described as ‘a compulsive, taut and terrifying thriller…
Beadyjan
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thrillers
Six stories is a darkly different and daring contemporary thriller series.

Beast is part of the six stories series, published by Orenda Books. (They could almost be called Sick stories as they are all dark and devious and pretty much a very modren take on the gothic horror genre) The previous 3 books are, in order, Six Stories #1, Hydra #2, Changeling #3 and Beast is number 4.

It can be read as a stand alone book, but to be honest once you've read it and loved it, you're going to be desperate to
Nicki
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Scott King returns in the latest instalment in the haunting Six Stories pod cast series. In 2018 whilst the Uk was caught in the freezing grip of the Beast From The East, the naked, beheaded body of Vlogger Elizabeth Barton was discoved in Tankerville Tower. A crumbling eye sore that stands on the cliff and overlooks the coastal town of Ergarth on the North - West coast of England. Scott had previously looked into the case before but because three young men had already been charged and convicted ...more
Ingstje
Feb 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
I’m usually hopelessly falling behind reading a series and the general rule tends to be that I’m slacking by the time book 3 comes out. Six Stories is the big exception though, as I read all three of the previous books in the series and I have now devoured the fourth novel Beast. I simply want to read the next one as soon as I possibly can and even with a year in between I’m always eagerly waiting for the new novel to be released.

You can read the books as standalones but if you want to know
Cheryl M-M
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Aside from the premise, which even four stories in hasn't lost the capacity to captivate me, the author writes with such detail to authenticity when it comes to the characters - it's remarkable. It also has me googling places, people and events, because he absolutely convinces me that everything is real. It's a testament to Wesolowski's talent as a writer.

Wesolowski uses darkness and the depth of inhumanity to create this almost imperceptible layer on top of his stories. No matter which
Alex (PaperbackPiano)
Feb 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
First of all, it was delightful to read about the North East of England, where I grew up! It’s always a weirdly awesome feeling, reading about somewhere you know – or is that just me? Not only that but having lived through the ‘Beast from the East’, there was a great sense of reality to this book. It made me feel even more invested.

This sense of place is one of Beast's biggest strengths. Wesolowski really captures the bleakness of the rugged coastal village of Ergarth and it worked so perfectly
Jen
I have been putting off reviewing this book. Why? Because I really don't know what to write. Why? Because whatever I write, I am not going to do the book justice. End of story.

I do love this series. It is a highly original series of books, with the common thread of the narrator, or podcaster, Scott King, and the fact that each of the stories are told through a series of six podcasts. And that is where the similarity ends. Every single story has been unique, from the whodunnit styling of the
Helen Christmas
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nicole
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Scott King returns in this 4th series of Six Stories.
His face and story are well known now ( and I appreciated the nod to people who must have contacted the author after reading Changeling) he acknowledges those who have been helped by hearing his story.

What I love about Six Stories is episode is set as a podcast, each story another link in the events of the cold case Scott King has decided to look into. Not solve.
Your mind really does the walking through probable events, suspects, sometimes new
Dale Robertson
Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Once again, another superb twisty, creepy tale. This time involving a vampire! Is it real, is it not? Pick up the book to find out. Go on, i dare ya!

The writing is brilliant, the story itself intertwines so much i genuinely don't know how Matt kept track of it whilst writing. Whatever his methods, the end product is one of beauty.

There's a real lesson in this book about society these days and it hits the nail right on the head. All the books in the series have an underlying message and they are
Stephanie
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Beast is the fourth book in the Six Stories series. It could be read as a standalone but I would recommend that you at least read book three – Changeling before reading this. There are no spoilers but you would gain more by knowing what happened to Scott in his past.

I do like a novel about vampires and the legend of the ‘Ergath Vampire’ is a chilling one. Especially when it coincides with the very cold weather that the region was experiencing, the nickname the ‘Beast From The East’ has more than
The Book Review Café
The Six Stories series by Matt Wesolowski is one of my favourite crime series EVER! It’s deliciously dark, extremely imaginative, each book has been beyond riveting. Beast like the other books in the series features modern day themes, combined with darkest folklore, and yet again the author’s vivid imagination propels the reader into a plot that’s marked by an unrelenting bleakness, and yet Beast makes for an all consuming read.

Six Stories is precisely that, Six Stories told from the perspective
Mandie
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
God knows how I have done it, but I have managed to get far enough into my reading to pounce on an Orenda book not long after it was published. And boy am I glad that I managed to read this one as I can happily say that I think it is my favourite one of the series. After all what’s not to love about a book that has a vampire myth at the heart of it?? Downside is that it’s the latest in the series so now I will have to wait for the next one. In this installment of six stories we see Scott King ...more
Sally Boocock
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another incredible six stories from Matt Wesolowski. A tale of a decapitated girl and vampires with a modern twist. A real look at what social media can do. Captivating, gripping and awful but goes to make a great book
Emma
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I am such a huge fan of Matt Wesolowski’s Six Stories series. Set out as podcasts, they are original, clever, dark and gut wrenchingly chilling. ‘Beast’ is book four in the series, they can be read as stand-alones but I highly recommend that you read all of them and in order – a) because they are brilliant and b) because you get the odd spoiler in the later books if you haven’t read the others.

In ‘Beast’ Scott King is delving into the murder of popular vlogger, Elizabeth Barton. Her small home
Kayla
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
What time is it? Time to be horribly upset for another year that I've read the latest SIX STORIES book so quickly

I loved the story in this one, loved how it was more than just about a vampire, but about the double edged sword that humans are. Wesolowski did a great job with BEAST.
Don Jimmy Reviews
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Once again I was left dumbfounded after reading one of Matt’s books. Once again it was only for positive reasons. Matt has hit another home run. He’s smashed it. He’s pulled off another…. OK… you get where I’m going

I remember when “the Beast from the East” was happening a lot of bookish people I spoke to were joking about how someone was going to write a book about it. Enter Matt. Matt took “the Beast from the East”, twisted it into a tale of horror, (and I’m not just talking about running out

• Nullpunkt
  • The Guest List
  • I Am Dust
  • The 24-Hour Café
  • Pine
  • Containment (Sam Shephard, #3)
  • Ghoster
  • Three Hours
  • Little Siberia
  • Deep Dark Night (Lori Anderson)
  • Firewatching (Detective Sergeant Adam Tyler #1)
  • Are You Watching?
  • Blood Song (Emily Roy & Alexis Castells #3)
  • A Deadly Divide (Rachel Getty & Esa Khattak #5)
Matt Wesolowski is an author from Newcastle-Upon-Tyne in the UK. He is an English tutor for young people in care.

Wesolowski started his writing career in horror and was a winner of the Pitch Perfect competition at 'Bloody Scotland'; Crime Writing Festival 2015. His subsequent debut crime novel 'Six Stories' was published by Orenda Books in the spring of 2016 with follow-up ‘Hydra’ published in the

Six Stories (4 books)
  • Six Stories (Six Stories, #1)
  • Hydra (Six Stories, #2)
  • Changeling (Six Stories, #3)