Jump to ratings and reviews
A Children's Book Council of Australia Honor Book

In this powerful sequel to Obernewtyn, young Elspeth Gordie-possessed of extraordinary mental powers-has united with others Misfits for refuge on the remote mountain keep of Obernewtyn. Yet the threat from the totalitarian Council to their safety is ever present. Their only defense is to work hard to develop their mental powers before an inevitable confrontation.

But when Elspeth is lured off the mountain in a dangerous quest to rescue a powerful Misfit, the fate of the Obernewtyn colony will hang in the balance.

320 pages, Paperback

First published January 1, 1990

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Isobelle Carmody

79 books1,631 followers
Isobelle Carmody began the first novel of her highly acclaimed Obernewtyn Chronicles while she was still in high school. The series has established her at the forefront of fantasy writing in Australia.

In addition to her young-adult novels, such as the Obernewtyn Chronicles and Alyzon Whitestarr, Isobelle's published works include several middle-grade fantasies. Her still-unfinished Gateway Trilogy has been favorably compared to The Wizard of Oz and the Chronicles of Narnia. The Little Fur quartet is an eco-fantasy starring a half-elf, half-troll heroine and is fully illustrated by the author herself.

Isobelle's most recent picture book, Magic Night, is a collaboration with illustrator Declan Lee. Originally published in Australia as The Wrong Thing, the book features an ordinary housecat who stumbles upon something otherworldly. Across all her writing, Isobelle shows a talent for balancing the mundane and the fantastic.

Isobelle was the guest of honor at the 2007 Australian National Science Fiction Convention. She has received numerous honors for her writing, including multiple Aurealis Awards and Children's Book Council of Australia Awards.

She currently divides her time between her home on the Great Ocean Road in Australia and her travels abroad with her partner and daughter.

Librarian's note: Penguin Australia is publishing the Obernewtyn Chronicles in six books, and The Stone Key is book five. In the United States and Canada this series is published by Random House in eight books; this Penguin Australia book is split into two parts and published as Wavesong (Book Five) and The Stone Key (Book Six).

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
162 (2%)
1 star
51 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 257 reviews
Profile Image for Melissa.
59 reviews4 followers
November 13, 2015
Continuing in my quest of re-reading all the books before the final book is in my hands (ahahaha why did I start this so late?!)

*happy sigh*

I love this world so much! I never really understand people who aren't re-readers. Each to their own of course, but reading an old favourite is like coming home. Even when you can see the first steps of a horrible future event clicking into place. Even when you just want to wrap up all the characters in a warm blanket and keep them all warm and safe.

With the introduction of a few favourite characters of mine, as well as some wonderful hints as to where this series is leading, this book sets up the next adventure in beautiful way.
Profile Image for Shannon .
1,216 reviews2,103 followers
January 22, 2015
This review contains some spoilers of the first book.

It has been two years since the climactic events of the first book, Obernewtyn , occurred. Elspeth is about seventeen years old and still recovering from the burns to her feet and legs, not helped by the aching cold of the mountains in winter - the same mountains and weather that keep Obernewtyn, now a safe refuge for misfits with unique powers, safe. Under the new master of Obernewtyn, Rushton Seraphim, the Misfits - as the ruling Council has named them, and would Burn them if caught - have organised themselves into guilds, based on their different powers. Farseeking, Coercing, Empathy, Beast-speaking, Healing and the Teknoguild are some of the groups, and Elspeth, being the strongest Farseeker, is guildmistress. Few know she can also Coerce and Beast-speak, and has some minimal Futuretelling abilities, premonitions that rise unbidden.

With Rushton back from a trip to the Lowlands with news, a hasty Guildmerge (meeting of Guild leaders) is called. Rushton wants to establish a permanent contact, or spy, in the capital of Sutrium and has chosen Domick, a Coercer, for the task. Elspeth proposes a joint expedition: the Teknoguild want to find a hidden library in a ruined city near Aborium, on the south-west coast, and the Farseekers have discovered a strong Misfit talent in the same location that they want to rescue and bring back to Obernewtyn. A small group is picked to go, including Elspeth and her Farseeker friend Matthew, Domick, Healers Louis Larkin and Kella, and Pavo from the Teknoguild. At the last minute, a recently rescued Herder novice called Jik and his dog, Darga, are added to the group because the Futuretell guildmistress Maryon has Seen that Jik is instrumental to the success of their mission, though she cannot See why, and that they must make it back to Obernewtyn before the next winter or their safe haven will be gone forever.

With such responsibility resting on their shoulders, the group sets forth with the leader of the equines, Galtha, and a few other horses to lead the caravans. Disguised as gypsies, they make their way into the Lowlands, looking for an Olden pass they believe to be there, but are taken captive by the Druid's men. This is just the start of their troubles and new discoveries, in a story brimming full of adventure, suspense, delight, and excitement, as the unique world Carmody has crafted comes alive with every step of the journey.

Like the first book, I had read this several times in the past, but not for many years now. I was thrilled at how much it felt both like reading a new and exciting book, and like being reunited with a beloved old friend after many years apart. There was lots I had forgotten, and yet as I read it all came back to me, but only up to the line I had read, so the overall story was still hazy in my mind. I could remember bits, scenes mostly, but few details. There is a lot going on in The Farseekers, it's a rich post-apocalyptic world and like the misfits, we are feeling our way in it.

Narrated by Elspeth, we only learn about this world as she does, though with our knowledge of our own time there are some things we can deduce or figure out ahead of her. The past has been banned by the Council and denounced as evil by the Herder Faction, so the people are largely ignorant and easily spooked by anything from the past. Elspeth is cautious and not at all keen to unearth the past: she alone knows that the machines that caused the Great White are still here, slumbering in their hiding place, ready and able to unleash yet another apocalypse. And it is her mission, her lonely quest, to find them and destroy them before this can happen.

Small spoiler
I had forgotten about Ariel. In Obernewtyn, he is only 12/13 years old and already a manipulative, cunning little devil in angel's guise. He escaped at the end and was believed to have died in the winter storm, but they never sent out a search party to confirm this. Now he's reappeared, and it's hard for me to imagine a boy of about fifteen, having that much influence with the Council and Herders. But, such is the strength of his character. It was never said that he had any mutant gift, or why he was sent to Obernewtyn as a Misfit in the first place. Elspeth never tried to read his mind, but she also never wonders and that is a bit strange to me. I also can't remember him from the next two books (which is as far as I got in my reading of the series; I'm two books behind overall), which is partly why I wanted to re-read all of them before starting the ones I haven't read yet; I'd forgotten so much.
/Spoiler

The philosophical and moral dilemma faced by the misfits in this world is a strong theme throughout the series. When Elspeth meets Brydda, a rebel against the Council and Herders, and has to reveal some of what the misfits can do, he's excited and wants an alliance.

I agreed to try to organize a meeting between him and Rushton, but I was not sure our aims coincided.
'At the bottom of everything we are Misfits, and few men would have reacted as you did. Can you say for certain all your people would think as you do? Not be disgusted by us, or frightened?'
Brydda looked thoughtful at this. 'I don't know. Maybe the thought of someone who could talk inside your head, or make animals do anything they want ... would seem frightening.'
I had told him little about our abilities, letting him assume he had seen all there was.
'If people are frightened, it is because of their ignorance and Herder lies about mutations. They could learn,' Brydda said at last.
'Maybe, but we have to be sure,' I said. 'There is no good in our exchanging one kind of tyranny for another.' [p.193]

This is the ultimate goal and driving force of the Misfits at Obernewtyn, especially of Rushton, and it's so sad that Elspeth has been given this other task, one she might not survive, that she can't share with anyone, or tell anyone about, and so maintains her aloofness, her loneliness. She can't even see that Rushton loves her - she's so rusty with trusting people, being close to them and friends with them, that she misses or misunderstands the signs. As a young reader, I always felt close to Elspeth, and a bit sorry for her too. She never complains, she strong and stoic and comes across as patient and considerate, but every now and then one of her companions will make some comment about not being able to really get to know her, and you realise how much apart she keeps herself. She's good at making decisions, and leading others, even if she doesn't realise it. After everything she's been through, you want some happiness for her. Some peace. So her mission, and Obernewtyn's ambition, becomes yours.

There's so much to love in this book, and this series. I love Dragon, her ability is awesome and how they found her is pretty cool. Uncovering the buried library, very cool. Rescuing her friends from the Herders, very exciting. Discovering Lidgebaby, a bit scary and with mind-boggling implications. The truth of Jik and Darga's inclusion on the trip, sad. There is quite a bit of sadness in this story, in the series, it's like a light coating over everything, which just makes you empathise with them all the more. Their situation is so precarious, their fate so terrifying if caught, the stakes so high on everything they do, that you forget for a while that these are just children and teenagers, for the most part (being the easiest to come to terms with their mutant abilities; adults tend to have closed minds and fight their knowledge, seek only to pretend to be normal). So much rests on their shoulders, and they're so young.

When I read these books, I live inside the pages, in this world. Like a ghost or spirit that follows Elspeth, untouched physically but present nevertheless. It's the ultimate in reading experience, the way you hope to connect with every book you read, when you start it. I couldn't ask for more. Oh, except for the final book to come out! Let's hope it doesn't get pushed back, again! :)
Profile Image for Bree T.
2,060 reviews87 followers
July 14, 2012
It’s been two years since Elspeth and Rushton successfully ousted Alexi and Madam Varga from Obernewtyn and Rushton took his rightful place as the Master. Since then it’s been a peaceful place to live, with the ‘Misfits’ embracing their differences, even establishing ‘guilds’ where they can join and better hone their particular talents. It has become a refuge for others just like them and due to their location they’ve been relatively unbothered by the Council. Elspeth uses her position as mistress of the Farseeker guild to propose a joint expedition with the Technoguild – the Technoguild has picked up on a powerful talent and the Technoguild believe they have discovered a location with Beforetime artifacts and possibly books they could learn from. The mission will be dangerous, as it means leaving the safety of Obernewtyn and Rushton is reluctant to let Elspeth go.

He is outvoted though and the expedition is approved and plans made and set in place. Rushton has his own mission, intending to use someone to infiltrate the Council and establish a base nearby so that they may gather their own intelligence which will come in handy if they are to protect themselves. The unlikely band of information gatherers set off but their expedition is derailed almost immediately. They hear of plans of the Council to visit Obernewtyn early and split up to send people back to Obernewtyn to warn Rushton while the rest continue on in a detoured fashion to find and rescue the powerful Talent and attempt to discover what they can about the Beforetime.

Elspeth has always wondered why animals often call her “Innle” or “the Seeker”, thinking it was some harmless nickname regarding a mythical creature. Alone and almost at the point of death after a firestorm, she will learn that the weaponmachines from the Beforetime have not been destroyed and it will be her role to find them and destroy them before her opposite can and use them in order to create something even more devastating than the Great White.

I have to apologise, because that might be the most inadequate summary of a book in history. In re-reading these books for Giraffe Days Obernewtyn Read-a-long, I am discovering so many new things about a series I’ve already been reading for fifteen plus years! However I’ve never read The Farseekers with the benefit of having read so many later books in the series before and I was immediately awed by just how many things are set in motion in this book that don’t come to fruition for several books. So much is happening here it’s almost impossible to talk about it all – and all of this is happening in a book that is just 312 pages!

In the beginning we learn that it’s been some time since the end of the previous novel and that things at Obernewtyn are now very different to how they were in the first novel. Rushton’s idea of a refuge for Misfits is coming to fruition and even though he’s staked his claim with the Council, they assume that after the spring thaw, people will make their way out to investigate what is going on and make sure nothing untoward is taking place. Elspeth is content for now, she’s Mistress of the farseeker guild (although really she could’ve led just about any of the guilds, given her broad range of talent) and when the Technoguild inform her that they’ve registered a powerful talent at the furthest range they can seek, she proposes a joint expedition to rescue this Talent and also to grant the Technoguild access to the beforetime relics they believe are in the same area. Rushton is reluctant, for reasons fairly obvious to the reader (even reading it first time around) but Elspeth is quite willfully ignorant, believing it’s because he doesn’t wish to lose a guild mistress and therefore upset the balance at Obernewtyn.

The very small seeds of a future relationship were sowed between them in Obernewtyn but the book ended without any development. Elspeth’s solitary lifestyle and also her increasing knowledge of her Quest and the role she must play makes her further reluctant to really establish too many ties with people – especially a romantic bonding. Isobelle Carmody has a rather awesome ability to create ways in which they exchange a couple of moments and then don’t see each other for at least half of the book. This is frustrating, but necessary to keeping both the story lines intact and also their relationship on the back burner. It is important but it is by far not the most important thing happening here – that is always the Quest and the various paths in which Elspeth must take in order to successfully undertake it.

Re-reading this I was just amazed at how many things made more sense from later books now that I’d refreshed my memory with this one. Although I’ve waited lengthy times for books to be released, I’ve never actually undertaken a total re-reading from start to finish which I probably should have done before The Stone Key (book 5) and probably also before The Sending (book 6). There is so much going on that it’s easy to forget who one person was that Elspeth met three books ago and what they said to her, but suddenly it crops up again. There are people introduced here that seem inconsequential, there are things that happen that seem relatively unimportant at a first read. But I’ve realised that they are so important, everything here is written with such care to detail. There is nothing superfluous in these books at all. I’m even more impressed now – this book was written over twenty years ago and little seeds laid here are now being fully realised, all this time later.
Profile Image for Leila.
77 reviews
October 29, 2008
This isn't quite as good as the first in the series (mostly due to repetitive word use--see: "guild" and "guildmerge"). But, once you get past the beginning, it's a pretty lively story. I enjoyed the growing equality of humans with animals, though I wonder--are all animals equally smart? How do they feel about eating them, then? There are ethical questions that should be mentioned that never are. Also, I feel like Carmody often singles out one random character to die in each book. Most of the time, there's no real reason for the death, and you're left confused. I want to keep reading the series, though, and I'm enjoying the beginnings of a relationship between Elspeth and Rushton.
Profile Image for Karen.
180 reviews8 followers
March 25, 2017
Overall, this was a pretty good book, however the first chapter (with one of those random *2 years later* time jumps since the first book) was rather strange and confusing. Also it really jumped straight into a bunch of new terminology and systems without really explaining too much, which was frustrating. Seeing "Guilden", "Guildmerge" and similar terms pop up about 50 times in the first chapter with no explanation...
Anyway, getting beyond that: I liked the new character introductions, especially Darga, and I think Dragon will be getting interesting in future books (or at least I hope so!). The advance of the 'overall' beforetime machines plot seems a bit slow, but its early days yet, so I have hope it will ramp up soon.
Profile Image for Jenny.
1,603 reviews55 followers
August 23, 2020
The Farseekers is book two in the Obernewtyn Chronicles. Two years ago the secret community of Misfits took over the Obernewtyn. Elspeth Gordie and her allies are working hard to develop their abilities to confront the totalitarian Council. However, when a new talent with more powerful then the Misfits came on the scene. The Misfits had to come out of hiding to investigate. The readers of The Farseekers will continue to follow Elspeth Gordie to find out what happens.

The Farseekers is the first book I read by Isobelle Carmody. The Farseekers is enjoyable attention to a young adult paranormal fantasy genre. I love Isobelle Carmody portrayal of her characters and the way they intertwine with each other throughout this book. The Farseekers is well written and researched by Isobelle Carmody. I like Isobelle Carmody's description of the settings of The Farseekers and way they complement the plot of this book.

I recommend this book.
Profile Image for Em.
995 reviews19 followers
Shelved as 'didnotfinish'
January 2, 2019
DNF at 15%

Nope. Can't do it. Everything I disliked about the first book continues in this one and I just do not have the patience to wade through the bad writing and the boring plot to see if it gets better later on. If I'd read this when my sister gave them to me when I was 14, maybe I'd have liked it. But 10 years later, I cannot stand this.
Profile Image for Amanda ☕ Steeping Stories ☕.
275 reviews60 followers
September 10, 2021
It's hard to rate this book because 1) I read it for the first time as a child (more than 10 years ago now... yikes), and 2) I reread it as an audiobook in two seperate halves with a two years' gap in between. So take my four stars with a grain of salt. The first half was quite slow-moving from memory—but the second half was action-packed and gripping, and I felt myself falling back into the awe and mystery of Elspeth's quest as the Seeker.

I love returning to this series because it brings back my childhood feeling of getting inescapably lost in a magical world. It's why I decided to reread Obernewtyn as an adult.

While I still think Carmody's characterisation is lacking—especially when it comes to Elspeth, though she is more proactive in this sequel—I do get the sense that her writing improved. The world and stakes of the series expand in this sequel. We start to get a taste of the role Elspeth will play in this post-nuclear dystopian world filled with humans that have strange and wonderful powers.

I'm planning to listen to the other sequels on audiobook too, and I can't wait to experience everything again!

Book Blog | Writer Website | Twitter | Instagram
Profile Image for Ngarie.
378 reviews8 followers
December 25, 2021
This story steps away from Obernewtyn, but introduces the reader to the wider world and the political and social turmoil contained within it.
Profile Image for Alexandra.
757 reviews91 followers
October 21, 2011
Well, it's better than Obernewtyn, for sure.

*Spoilers for Obernewtyn, the first book*

Continuing my re-read of the Obernewtyn chronicles, I devoured most of this one in a night. Interestingly, it's set some time after Obernewtyn ends, and therefore we don't get most of the fight against Alexi and Madame Vega, nor Rushton's work at being made legal owner of the place. Possibly because Elspeth is out of it for a while thanks to the burns to her legs? Anyway, we open here rather abruptly to discover that Rushton is in charge, and the Misfits have formed themselves rather (too) neatly into Guilds according to their mind powers. This was one thing that bugged me about the book - they all seemed to have come into their powers rather quickly, and easily, whereas I had the impression from the first book that many of them were uncomfortable and certainly not that good at using them because of the fear of being discovered. Perhaps Carmody imagines that once released from that fear, most young people would flourish in experimentation... and when I put it like that, perhaps she is not far wrong.

Anyway, the bulk of Farseekers is not actually set at Obernewtyn, but in the lowlands, as Elspeth and some others set out on a joint mission to find a library and a strong Talent they've sensed. Of course, things do not go easily, and they encounter most of the villains foreshadowed in Obernewtyn - Council, Herders, and the Druid himself - in various ways and with various consequences that I shan't spoil. It is a more convincing narrative than the first book; while there are still happy coincidences and useful chance-meetings, well, that's really the stock in trade of a fantasy, in some ways; and here it's done more smoothly and with less jarring "oh hai, yr conveniently who i need" moments.

Characters are more interesting and well developed in this second novel, too. Elspeth is a bit more complicated and nuanced, conflicted between the desire for safety and an impatience with staying put. The characters she goes travelling with show hints of personality and individuality; the most developed and interesting are the animals, and particularly the arrogant stallion Gahltha. He's way cool. Rushton continues to be gruff and remote but still appealing (to me, anyway!). The new people our Misfits meet on their travels are probably the most interesting characters aside from Elspeth, and although one of them gets a bit preachy and info-dumpy that's hardly his fault, and I liked him for his rash-yet-considered ways.

Finally, the world is built up just that bit more in this novel, mostly thanks to the travels of our heroes. We learn more about the current society - which is complex enough to be not all bad, but simple enough that the reader knows (well, this one did) that they really wouldn't want to live there. There's more about the Beforetimes, too, and I seem to remember that it took me until this book to be absolutely sure that Carmody was envisioning this as OUR world after some sort of human-caused apocalypse. Which is a bit embarrassing frankly. Anyway - more Beforetimes things, and stories too. This sort of idea isn't unique, but I like how Carmody runs with it.
Profile Image for Ksenia.
780 reviews194 followers
September 3, 2010
So I got the first one from the library and towards the end of the first book I knew this was something interesting. But it wasn’t until the second book (at the end of the second book no less) when I knew I had something fascinating in my hands. The moment that really got me was when the horse Gahltha pledges his loyalty to Elspeth and promises to help her and never leave her side (there’s a reason why of course) but I was so moved by this previously-arrogant horse and his devotion, that my heart melted right then and there. And then when I got to the third book, I was desperate to finish it and see what happens that one night I stayed up to finish Ashling without so much as speaking to my husband one night. And now I wait for the fourth book to come from the library. And to be honest, after finishing Ashling, I was left in a bit of a reading funk: I didn’t know what to read next. In a matter of a week, I picked up four books and didn’t finish any of them (although one I know I will return to shortly). I guess I went through some withdrawal and I hadn’t felt that since last year in the summer. So that wasn’t so much of a review as me wanting to gush about this series. Loving it! Oh, and to think this whole series was started when the author was still in high school??? The author has got quite the imagination and even though it takes place on Earth, it might as well be Middle-Earth or something else like it. It’s so wonderful to read the world she has created here. And the people as well…if you can, read them. Definitely do not give up on the first book: the books get so much more interesting and intricate, that you’ll be itching for the next book in the series, like I am.
Profile Image for Soph .
239 reviews31 followers
March 18, 2019
So the adventurers continues, Elspeth travels to the low lands on the back of a prophecy only to come out the other side with the weight of the knowledge that she must one day take on a dark journey that will take her away from all that she loves. No one fully understands the true potential of Elspeths powers, some comes close. The pace and action of this book keeps me riveted.. isobelle paints such a large slow picture but it unfolds at a very digestible not boring pace. Hints and alluding to future secrets. Within the books itself there is a manifold that tells the reader who is who within the guilds so that if you forget who a character is - the book reminds you. Which is very helpful within a story with SO MANY side characters.

>bold< Audiobook
Isobelle herself narrates she although she does an ok job, you can 100% tell when she pauses and restarts the recording, you can her HARD s’s which can be quiet grating and piercing to the ears. I will continue listening to all the books via audible simply because it’s another way to digest this series. Isobelle does a good job at all the voices- the kiwi accent is hard to miss.
Profile Image for Lauren.
238 reviews42 followers
October 5, 2011
I'd really like to give this one 4.5 stars. I tend to be quite sceptical as I read books, assuming that the author is leading me into a long boring part of a story where no real action or surprising plot twists can be had. I love it when an author proves me wrong.
The action in this book is really rather good. Definitely engaging and absolutely capable of keeping me wanting to read more.
I must say, that by the end of the book I was getting a bit sick of all the obstacles. I tend to get impatient and just want all the characters I love to get home to the people they love. And despite my frustration, I think it was all necessary.
I was given a satisfying sense of completion of this league of the journey and can eagerly await reading the next book knowing that there are a few unanswered questions that I'm excited to delve into. A perfect second-in-a-series feeling.
All the old elements that I loved from Obernewton were still there, and I especially liked the addition of a few new lovable animal characters.
Profile Image for Jax.
182 reviews41 followers
November 27, 2018
I'm of a similar mind in rating this as I was to the first book.
Overall, the story is inexplicably enjoyable; but there are still pacing issues and inconsistencies in the plot and the hazy timeline doesn't get any less hazy.

In Farseekers, Elspeth is part of an expedition to find a mysterious misfit, however, I found that quite often members of the travelling party were simply forgotten about.

Also, taking into account the original publication date, and that these books are targeted at younger readers, I still felt that some of the characters acted "out of character".
Despite all they'd been through, and knowing how society views Misfits, they were too quick to trust certain strangers - simply because the author needed them to.

I'll be honest, considering how many little issues I have with these books, I don't know what it is about them that keeps me reading more...

So another 5/10 rating.
(2.5 stars)
Profile Image for Yune.
630 reviews21 followers
September 14, 2009
This one jumps ahead a bit from where Obernewtyn ended. The Misfits have organized into Guilds, according to their particular gifts, and each has its own agenda. A cooperative venture forms between the Tecknoguild, who seeks a library that may reveal more about the Beforetimers' machines, and the Farseekers -- led by Elspeth -- who are trying to track down a powerful Misfit.

I still like the level of grittiness of this world, and the characters who are meant to be endearing always are, but I honestly see this as a stepping-stone book, getting Elspeth further along the path to where she's meant to go.
Profile Image for Colin.
710 reviews21 followers
June 1, 2009
My re-read continues. I felt like the writing was slightly better in this one, but still not stellar. I think the main problem is that overall it's pretty formulaic fantasy writing. Y'know: good vs. evil. Carmody's characterization isn't earth-shattering by any means. But I love all the feisty friendly disabled folks, and the premise is what gets me on these, still. I have to say, i WAS kind of disappointed that Elspeth gets magically cured in this one. I forgot that part. On to the next one!
14 reviews
March 10, 2017
The series started out well enough, but more and more books go by without the author ever getting to the point. She established the Big Bad in book one, and four books later the Hero is no closer to actually confronting them than when she started. And I don't mean like a Voldemort situation, the Main Character is making absolutely zero effort to resolve the larger issues of the old time machines and the threat that they represent to the world.
Profile Image for Elizabeth.
212 reviews67 followers
February 23, 2016
This was quite a good sequel, though it definitely felt like an in-between book. Lots of world & character building but not a lot of plot progression. Really loved the scene where they found the Old-time library, as well as the part where Elspeth is found by the birds. The story just keeps on getting more interesting.
Profile Image for Misha.
678 reviews18 followers
November 24, 2016
I enjoyed this one a lot more than the first, which is likely because the first book sets up a lot of things and has very little action in favor of exposition about the world. Looking forward to the next book in the series!
Profile Image for Stine.
52 reviews
March 12, 2017
The ideas Isobelle Carmody combines in this series are a bit odd, but have kept my interest so far.
I felt the second book was more refined than the first and gave more depth to the characters. Based on this improvement I will probably continue to follow Elspeth's adventure.
Profile Image for Nora.
250 reviews30 followers
June 27, 2008
Post nuclear winter novels about adolescents with new abilities in a conservative future world. Australian writer!
Profile Image for Josh.
76 reviews14 followers
May 30, 2015
Re-read in preparation for release of The Red Queen.
Profile Image for Maggie.
390 reviews1 follower
June 4, 2012
Just as good as the first! Glad I saw it on Choupette's book list:o) On to number 3...
Profile Image for Cari ☾.
232 reviews12 followers
August 25, 2015
I LOVED book 2!! Amazing ending, excited to read book 3!!
Profile Image for Mere.
159 reviews2 followers
November 17, 2015
Coming into your stride. Finding out what your quest is.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 257 reviews