Start by marking “The Secrets We Keep” as Want to Read:
The Secrets We Keep

The Secrets We Keep

Jasper Warren is a happy-go-lucky young man in spite of the tragedy that’s marred his life. He’s on a road to nowhere with his roommate, Lacy, whom he adores, and a dead-end retail job in Chicago.

And then everything changes in a single night. Though Jasper doesn’t know it, his road is going somewhere after all. This time when tragedy strikes, it brings with it
Published September 17th 2019 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about The Secrets We Keep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secrets We Keep

Sheri
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
It’s no secret that I adore Rick Reed. His books are always full of life and adventures. I’ve noticed the romance seems to be lighter with his most of his recent stories and this one fared on the medium side. However, he didn’t pull his punches with the angst or emotional whirlwind. I was a sobbing mess more than once and can’t complain when a book captures me to the point of spellbinding tears. If you’ve read and enjoyed The Perils of Intimacy by Reed I believe you will feel the same here. There are va ...more
Cadiva
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is another unusual romance from Rick R Reed in which the protagonists feel like they're people he knows whose lives have been played out in front of him.

It's a strange twist between an angsty May to December romance and a sort of whimsical almost paranormal ghost like tale of two lives which have known tragedy.

Be aware that this book also has heavy subject matter and, imho anyways, really should have a trigger warning.

As the story begins, I think it's clear what dir
Christelle
“Real men, true love” : that’s the promise of Rick R.Reed and he delivers : I usually enjoy his books, relationship-oriented with a good dose of introspection and a sexy journey to happiness. It works for me. And to be noted : all the books I picked up so far from this author are with age-gap, which I enjoy.

Jasper and Rob meets in Chicago during the funeral of Lacy, Jasper’s roommate and friend. Both feel the need to leave the ceremony and end up in a bar, Jasper discovering that Rob
Truuss / Loveislovereview
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, m-m
Jasper and Rob
An emotional story, awfully realistic at times, grief is a big word here. Jasper his best friend Lacy committed suicide and at the time of the funeral he meets Rob her uncle. Together they sneak away and they bond. They both are connected through Lacy.
Rob is a wealthy man and invites Jasper over to California. Something unexpected is revealed and In no time Jasper goes back home. When Rob follows Jasper, Jasper wants to show Rob the Lacy he knew.
Throughout this st
Joyfully Jay
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jovan
A Joyfully Jay review.

Since the story is mostly in Jasper’s POV, his character has the most development. I wasn’t sure I was going to like him much given how disparaging his thoughts are about his best friend in the beginning and that he admits he drags her to gay bars with him for self-validation. Moreover, he knows a lot of their outings/friendship dynamics are out of whack and one way. But over the course of the story and in getting to know Rob, he brings Lacy to life for her estr
Barb ~rede-2-read~
Rick Reed delivers a powerful love story wrapped in a multitude of emotions. Jasper Warren, the principal character, is a young gay man living in Chicago with his bestie, Lacy. She’s perfectly happy tagging along as his wingman when he hits the nightlife Chicago offers. But when tragedy strikes, Jasper blames himself for not realizing how much Lacy really loved him. He’s spent most of his life alone, ever since his mother and younger sister were murdered and his father grew so remote, quiet, and ...more
Kirstin
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars

I really, really enjoyed reading this. It was heavy on the angst, low on romance, though there was enough that I was smitten with both MC's.

I really enjoyed the contrasts that were woven throughout the story. One MC was poor and always had been. The other always well off. One was twenty-five, the other fifty. One had a huge, life changing secret and the other hated him for it.

The story took place over a large span of months, though many were written o
Jovan
Sep 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Joyfully Jay review

4.25

Jasper is a regular guy who knows what his life will be—he’ll continue working “dead-end” jobs that keep him living paycheck to paycheck, meet another struggling, regular Joe like himself, and settle down and adopt a dog when his looks no longer pull at the bars and he no longer has his trusty best friend and wingwoman, Lacy, at his side to boost his ego and keep him company.

Yet, Jasper’s world comes crashing down when Lacy commits suicide and he begins to question himself and their friendship. When hreview
JasperJay
LeeAnn
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Secrets can be wonderful things. Sometimes they are devastating , depending on how they are revealed.
Both Jasper and Rob have secrets from their pasts. Both tragic and life changing.
The author puts the reader on a rollercoaster of many emotions and I enjoyed the ride.
The way the author has set their story up, how they meet, the reason they meet and what transpires between them was so well written.
We are taken on a journey where we are introduced to two amazing men, we get to see wh
Amy
Aug 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Losing someone you love is one of the hardest things we will deal with in life. Jasper has had a lot of loss in his life, his Dad may still be alive but he barely exist. Living with Lacy in a small apartment in Chicago Jasper was living life. But when things go bad, suddenly and without warning, his world spins. Lacy’s uncle comes and turns Jasper’s world upside down again.

Rob and Jasper are many years apart in age but both have secrets they keep, both have unimaginable loss, can they help heal
Charlotte
Sep 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, m-m-romance
More than this is a story about two men having a relationship, it felt to me as though it was about families and the mistakes we make when we love people... and when they hurt us. Both the main characters in this book have tumultuous histories with their families, things they don't want to discuss, and at the same time, they are almost immediately drawn to one another.

There are some intense and authentic feelings about the suicide of a character in this book. No doubt it will be diff
Merissa (Archaeolibrarian)
The Secrets We Keep is a story that deals with the aftermath of suicide, with the addition of a May-to-December couple of main characters. This is NOT a light read. It is somber and full of reflection.

That side of the story is really well written. The emotions that pour off each page with make you stop and think. However, for me, I found it overshadowed the romance side of things. I didn't really feel a connection between our main two. There was no build up to them individually, rath
Anabela.M.
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lacy's death brings Jasper and Robert into each other's lives. They meet at the funeral service and attraction simmers,but it's definitely not the right time,nor are they in the right state of mind,to act on it. They keep in touch,over the months, through email and text messages, and slowly a deeper connection forms between them. But there are secrets,the kind that could ruin what they managed to built.

The Secrets We Keep is so much more than a romance between young Jasper and Robert
Cathy Brockman
As always Rick R Reed has given us a beautifully written story with tons of feels. It is heart-wrenching in places and heartwarming in others. I loved Jasper. How could you not? He was a sweet young man. Average. Happy with his meager life, simple apartment and best friend and roommate. Until he finds her dead in her room. He meets her rich uncle at her funeral and finds out he didn’t know her at all.
Rob feels an attraction to Jasper but he is half his age, sweet and sexy. What would he want wi
Cheryl
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you for the ARC read,I voluntarily give this book an honest review. Jasper's life was never easy. Growing up with little to no communication with with father after the death of his mother and sister. He had one friend Lacy, that was until tragedy strikes his life again.

Rob wasn't expecting to meet the charming young man that befriended his niece. Never really dreaming that someone would love him for him. Always an outsider really just looking in until a tragic event brings them
Elle Kay
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I didn’t have any pre-conceived notions for this book, particularly since it is a new-to-me author. The first four chapters sucked me in quickly and I enjoyed the characters, particularly the way Jasper was dealing with some dark stuff. The character descriptions were particularly good; I especially enjoyed Lacy — I could so easily picture her in my mind’s eye. For some reason, the next couple chapters sort of stalled out for me and the story lost its captivation. However, that appears to be a s ...more
Amy Dufera
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Secrets We Keep is one of those books that make me elated to have not read the blurb before reading it. This Andrew Grey book is a true delight, but be warned, this story is a heavy topic. .

Jasper meets Rob through a mutual loss, which is super upsetting. A connection between the men leads to a sweet long distance relationship, as the two slowly get to know one another. Personally, I love that they got to know one another slowly, without the physical attraction forcing things qui
Autumn Breeze
Oct 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Elle
Sep 10, 2019 rated it liked it
As one would expect from this author, this book is extremely well written, however, I've got to say that this one left me feelng a little uncomfortable. I think angsty stories work best where the misery and despair is balanced with happier times. Without that, it makes for a bleak reading experience.

I found the melodrama ott and the repetition of tears, sadness and all around brokenness was over-used to the point where it lost its potency, and instead of making me feel emotional, it did leave m
Aerielle
Sep 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Warning...There is a suicide in this book so that may be a trigger for some....

Just from reading the blurb I had a feeling this was going to be an emotional read. Jasper and Rob meeting happens during a dark time. They spark is there between them but Rob lives in Palm Springs and Jasper is in Chicago. The two strike up a pen pal relationship where the attraction between the two grow even more. Both men have secrets in their past that eventually come to light. I enjoyed this book a lot. I’
Elaine Gray
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Every time I read Rick Reed’s book, I have to read it in one sitting. There’s May/December, angst, grief, letting go and overcoming grief. Jasper and Rob met Rob’s niece’s funeral. The story is sweet, very emotional and shows throughout the book. Both MCs have to overcome what happened to Lacey and talking really helped them. Reading how they fell makes you feel like you are right there with them.
Ravenclaw Silverstripe
Sep 13, 2019 rated it really liked it

This story deals with a heavy subject, and you can glimpse a bit of it from the blurb; however, once the story takes off there’s this tone of melancholia that impregnates the entire book. It makes sense though, but it can be difficult at times to reconcile that with a story of romance. Reed takes the time to flesh out both main characters so that the reader can truly connect to who these men are. I appreciated that. It helped me to understand the minds of these men and their actions.

The heat le
AL
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The plot of this book is so unlike anything else I have read! I loved everything about it - the characters, the whole spectrum of amazing emotions, the connection and all the baggage they carrried. I did not expect the book to be so emotional and so easy to put down! It was definitely a very pleasant surprise!
kathleen
Sep 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Jasper and Rob meeting happens during a dark time. This somewhat sets the tone for this story. You have two grieving men who strangers to each other, but overtime, they gradually become emotionally connnected. There’s May/December, angst, grief, letting go and overcoming grief. Overall, an enjoyable read.
Bran Zesti
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a story, ups downs, twists and turns. So beautifully written. Surprise and ah moments. It was so good. This book make you think and you can't help but fall for the guys. I think you'll enjoy reading this book.
Kellie
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
The journey we are introduced in this book are of two amazing men, we see what their lives were like in the past and what led them into the now. I enjoyed both of these men and their growth from friends to lovers. Very enjoyable!
Lisa1269
Oct 15, 2019
Sylvie
Oct 03, 2019
Audrianna
Sep 18, 2019
Real Men. True Love.

Rick R. Reed draws inspiration from the lives of gay men to craft stories that quicken the heartbeat, engage emotions, and keep the pages turning. Although he dabbles in horror, dark suspense, and comedy, his attention always returns to the power of love. He’s the award-winning and bestselling author of more than fifty works of published fiction and is forever at wo