Start by marking “Gideon the Ninth” as Want to Read:
Gideon the Ninth

Gideon the Ninth

(The Locked Tomb #1)

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  6,588 ratings  ·  1,794 reviews
A USA Today Best-Selling Novel, and one of the Best Books of 2019 according to NPR, the New York Public Library, Amazon, BookPage, Shelf Awareness, BookRiot, and Gizmodo Australia!

“Unlike anything I’ve ever read. ” —V.E. Schwab

“Lesbian necromancers explore a haunted gothic palace in space!” —Charles Stross

“Deft, tense and atmospheric, compellingly immersive and wildly
Expected publication: May 19th 2020 by Tor.com (first published September 10th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Gideon the Ninth, please sign up.
Tamsyn Muir That's lovely to hear, and I am not unsympathetic to your plight. With that in mind, here are some suggestions:

1. Increase your bodyweight by 30%,…more

1. Increase your bodyweight by 30%, create a den, hibernate until September. Difficult if you're not both bears, but have a go

2. Entertain yourselves in the meantime by writing your own copy of GIDEON THE NINTH. If you think it might be better than the actual GIDEON THE NINTH keep it quiet!!! I don't need the competition!!!!!

3. Tell my publisher that you are 100% certain it is September and that you need a copy available to buy. This is a difficult con and relies on you travelling to their offices and changing all the calendars, which is also trespassing and may get you arrested. I guess this is the wild card. Maybe don't do this one

4. If you or your adult are on Twitter I am giving away galleys of this thing every month! Easiest option, but does require luck, and having an opinion on things like bones and swords

Whichever option you decide to go with, I hope that whenever you end up with a copy of the book you have an A+ reading time. Sorry about the wait...(less)
Tamsyn Muir Thank you so much for your interest in Gideon the Ninth, and I don't think you sound rude at all.

It's hard to quantify how much LGBT content is in the…more

It's hard to quantify how much LGBT content is in the book -- the plot contains arguably very little romance, and conflicts/issues surrounding being LGBTQIA+ don't come up at all and never will. Hilariously, the word 'lesbian' comes up in the blurb, but is never used in the book.

That said, it's a book written by an LGBTQIA+ author about two LGBTQIA+ leads, and I can Word-of-God confirm that the POV protagonist is a lesbian whose interest in women is very obvious throughout the book. The non-POV protagonist's interest in bones is very obvious throughout the book. Hope that helps...

Again, thank you heaps, and isn't the cover GREAT??? Check out artist Tommy Arnold's work at http://www.tommyarnoldart.com/ and designer Jamie Stafford-Hill's at http://www.staffordhill.net/-- both are so boss!(less)

·  6,588 ratings  ·  1,794 reviews

Start your review of Gideon the Ninth
Chaima ✨ شيماء
What greater debt could be accrued than that of being brought up?” There’s an invisible collar rested around Gideon Nav’s throat, its leash leading back to the Ninth House, the claws of its heir fastened tight in her flesh.

Harrowhark Nonagesimus, the sole daughter and secret ruler of the Ninth (and Gideon Nav’s executioner by increment), wore her destiny like a noose. She kept the frailty of her house guarded, locked-down, putting up a masterly front, but a chance at competing for the
Melanie

ARC provided by Tor in exchange for an honest review.

“The more you struggle against the Ninth, Nav, the deeper it takes you; the louder you curse it, the louder they’ll have you scream.”

Hi, my name is Melanie, and this was a really hard review to write for many reasons. First, I think I have hyped this book for all of 2019, and I have been very vocal about it being my favorite book of the year, and the best debut I’ve ever had the privilege of reading. Next, how do you write a review on the
Emily May
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Emily May by: Tatiana
“Maybe it’s that I find the idea comforting . . . that thousands of years after you’re gone . . . is when you really live. That your echo is louder than your voice.”

Ugh, I wish I hadn't taken so long to sit down and write a review of this. I prefer writing a review when everything is fresh in my mind, but I do actually have things I want to say about this dark, dense, totally unique fantasy.

One thing I think it might be helpful to know when starting this book is: you're going to just have to
Petrik
ARC & Review copy provided by the publisher—Tor.com—in exchange for an honest review.

Gideon the Ninth is a damn fine example of why readers’ reviews are incredibly important.

If you have been active on bookish social media, you should know by now that Gideon the Ninth, Tamsyn Muir’s debut and the first installment in The Locked Tomb (or The Ninth House in the past) Trilogy, has been tor.com's most hyped book of the year. The buzz and praise for Gideon the Ninth has been immense to say the
karen
oooh, goodreads choice awards semifinalist for BEST SCIENCE FICTION and BEST DEBUT NOVEL 2019! what will happen?

”You want to fight it.”

“Yep.”

“Because it looked…a little like swords.”

”Yop.”

okay. so. usually when i write a review, i am writing it for some nameless, faceless reader who is deciding whether or not to read a book and looking for some information to help them make that decision, so i’ll do the whole plot-point, pull-quote thing—giving an overview of the book so they know what to
Nilufer Ozmekik
I cannot actually believe my hands declared their independence from the auto-control of my brain and gave 3.5 stars and rounded it down to three stars! I can shout at my hands and tell them they are ungrateful! They should have clapped this author’s creativity for this controversial, unique, fantastic plot and good characterization but well, my hands made the right decision! You know why! Okay keep reading and stop yawning in front of me!

I already started my happy dance and dropped this book
Chelsea Humphrey
Well, I finished. If nothing else, at least I received closure that it wasn't the timing that was off for me surrounding this story. I could go through a long list of why this book didn't work for me, but instead I'll just leave it at that, it didn't work for me. Chaima wrote a fantastic review that expresses my thoughts 100% HERE, so if you'd like an alternative, unpopular opinion that is well written and fairly offered, please check it out.

*Many thanks to the publisher for providing my review
Elise (TheBookishActress)
the blurb of this quite literally contains the phrase "lesbian necromancers" like thanks Tor you know you’re the only publisher I trust anymore
Hamad
This review and other non-spoilery reviews can be found @The Book Prescription

ARC provided by the publisher in exchange of an honest review :D

“Two is for discipline, heedless of trial;
Three for the gleam of a jewel or a smile;
Four for fidelity, facing ahead;
Five for tradition and debts to the dead;
Six for the truth over solace in lies;
Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies;
Eight for salvation no matter the cost;
Nine for the Tomb, and for all that was lost.”

I am pretty sure this will
Holly (Holly Hearts Books)
Jul 28, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
I've been sitting on this DNF for a couple months now. For those of you who are avid YouTube watchers of mine, you know I could not get through this book. I wasn't going to rate it but I feel SO strongly about this 1 star rating. This book suffers from the Tor hype as did The Ruin of Kings by Jenn Lyons which I also highly disliked. The writing is a mess. Characters names are "neiowhgiewongow"..
The main character is an absolute ass. She gets the chance to get off the planet and her literal
megs_bookrack
SWOON.

I need this yesterday.
Look at that cover!

Just LOOK at it.
Behold its beauty and then read the synopsis...

I know, right!?!?

Tatiana
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of brain breaking world building
Recommended to Tatiana by: Melanie
Shelves: ppb, ala19, 2019, sci-fi, fantasy
Pretty much what karen said.

I haven’t worked this hard trying to grock a book since Ninefox Gambit. The world building is dense and elaborate, and I honestly had no idea there was so much to know about necromancy. Is all necromancy stuff in this book a total Tamsyn Muir invention? Or is this a commonly known lore? Am I just not reading the right books? ‘Cause this is fascinating.

If you put the complication of the world building aside, the plot is fairly simple - the Emperor of this necromantic
Ashley
Star Rating: —> 5 Stars!

My heart hurts. It ACHES.

SO INCREDIBLE. I literally cried when it was over... and as it was ending.

I mean that ending? And this whole damn novel? Brutal AF!

Perfection. Truly. Im so confused as to some readers’ complaints that this was extremely confusing & didn’t follow a solid plot line (incl subplots) that made sense... hmm.

(You can skip over this part if you aren’t interested!)
***BUT! before I go into any more detail... I have stumbled upon the PERFECT way to
Rebecca Roanhorse
Stunningly good. A brilliant and original mash-up of genres, the story is brimming with memorable characters, acerbic dark humor, a unique magic system, space travel, decaying technology and layers upon layers of mystery. It is the Gothic space adventure I didn't know I needed.
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Holy shit ass snacks! That was different and I loved it!! I’m loving the covers on these books too!

Mel
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
As RIDICULOUSLY pumped as I was to read this... I'm just... not in the mood for it right now, and it breaks my little queer heart. :( I'll pick it back up and try it again in a few weeks because I truly, 100% believe it's me, not the book.
sofia (sam willows)
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to sofia (sam willows) by: Melanie
so i filmed a video about why people should read this book: https://youtu.be/2Ue8EgZ3y9g
I LOVE IT OKAY

90th book of the year. fitting, right?

reread: yep. still cried like a baby

review:

so, i loved this book. it wasn’t perfect, by any means, but in the end i loved it all the same. even though this book is a new favorite of mine, i feel obliged to spend some time talking about what i didn’t love for the sake of people who will pick this up when it comes out.

the worlduilding

i’m pretty used to high
Hollis
So listen. The only reason I'm not giving this five stars is because sometimes, while reading, I would feel a little lost. Confused, even. It's been awhile since I read an adult science-fiction novel, particularly one as complex as this, with such a large cast, and during the over (!) two (!!) weeks (!!!) it took me to read this, between slumps and life chaos and other ARC deadlines, it was just.. a lot.

"I would have thought you would be happy that I needed you. That I showed you my girlish and
Meaghan
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bea-arcs-2019
I’ll be honest, I don’t even know how to summarize this book. I don’t even know how to review this book. All I know is that Gideon the Ninth may just be my favorite book in 2019, maybe ever since Strange the Dreamer. This book took me by complete surprise, especially as I was originally put off by the beginning few chapters.

This book kind of just drops you in this large, extensive world without a guide, and while I was originally quite lost, you very quickly learn to just go along with the
Boston
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: f-f, 5-stars-2019
I’m writing this review at 2am so bear with me.

This book is everything I have ever wanted. Necromancy? Here for it. Lesbians? Always down. A badass fantasy/sci-fi turned whodunnit? YES.

This book was casually riding the 4 star train up until I hit 75%. At that point I planned on going to sleep (reader I did not go to sleep). I stayed up for an extra 2 hours (I think) to finish this book. The end plot twists had me shouting in my bedroom (sorry dad) and stopping to take deep breaths.

The
Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~
I heard Necromancy & Queer & I didn't need to read anymore to know I need this ...more
Lea (drumsofautumn)
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lea (drumsofautumn) by: Melanie
PLEASE STAB ME WITH YOUR RAPIER, GIDEON, IT WOULD HURT LESS THAN THIS ENDING

Buddy read with Madalyn Gifted to me by Melanie
Spencer Orey
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ha that was a great time.

The book starts pretty dense and there are a ton of characters. But things really get moving about halfway in.

The language is an amazing mix of fantasy and contemporary snark. There's a lot of swearing, and it's also frequently really funny. It has its deeper moments of character growth too. It must have been so hard to get that mix just right.

I listened to this on audiobook and thought the narrator did a great job of bringing each character to life and also adding a lot
Phrynne
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5000-2019
I am giving this five stars because, although it was far from perfect, it was still such a brilliant read! I am not going to go around recommending it though. This one is only for people who love fantasy, really enjoy weird, and can overlook an awful lot of gore and bad language.

Gideon is a wonderful character. She is the one pictured on the cover and it fits her description perfectly. Her interactions with her partner and necromancer, Harrow, were the highlight of the whole book.

I enjoyed the
Shaun Hutchinson
This book was unexpected. The plot itself was fairly straightforward, but the characters and the writing were all fresh and wonderful. The book had humor and heart and adventure. I probably wouldn't have picked it up (I'm not usually fan of crossing sci-fi and fantasy elements—space/technology and necromancy in this case) but I'm always here for the queer books, and Gideon the Ninth did not let me down.
Amy (libraryofamy)
After letting this story marinate in my brain for a few weeks, I'm changing my rating from 3.5 to 5 stars.

Y'all are probably like, um.... bitch... that's a jump.

I know. I'm sorta confused, too.

BUT, despite the book's faults, this story has stayed on my mind, tugging on my 3 brain cells so hard that I've started rereading via audiobook. Something about Gideon the Ninth has captured my interest and has refused to let go, has embedded itself in my memories and likes to constantly remind me that its
Holly (The Grimdragon)
Fuck, fuck, fuck.

Gideon the Ninth was one of my most anticipated reads of the year. I mean.. how could I not get excited for lesbian necromancers in space?! With a fantasy feel? YES PLEASE!

Unfortunately.. it was a complete letdown, which breaks my queer little heart!

Gideon the Ninth is a DNF for me. I struggled through 165 pages.

Life is too short to waste on books that you aren't vibing with! I've finally allowed myself to listen to my own advice lately! There are a fuck ton of books out there
Thomas Wagner
Gideon the Ninth is a spectacular mess of a book. It fails as often as it works, and with the same degree of commitment from its author. In her debut, Tamsyn Muir displays enough imagination for any three writers and only a passing acquaintance with storytelling discipline. The resulting novel is a lot like one of the giant, beastly skeletal constructs that we encounter in its pages, smashing through walls and floors like some uncontrollable literary golem that’s broken its restraints. There is ...more

• This Is How You Lose the Time War
  • The Monster of Elendhaven
  • To Be Taught, If Fortunate
  • Empress of Forever
  • Steel Crow Saga
  • Ninth House (Alex Stern, #1)
  • The Ten Thousand Doors of January
  • A Memory Called Empire (Teixcalaan, #1)
  • Crier's War (Crier's War, #1)
  • Magic for Liars
  • The Twisted Ones
  • The Library of the Unwritten (Hell's Library #1)
  • Sisters of the Vast Black
  • Silver in the Wood
  • Middlegame
  • The Future of Another Timeline
  • Seven Blades in Black (The Grave of Empires, #1)
  • Darkdawn (The Nevernight Chronicle, #3)
Tamsyn Muir is a horror, fantasy and sci-fi author whose short fiction has been nominated for the Nebula Award, the Shirley Jackson Award, the World Fantasy Award and the Eugie Foster Memorial Award. A Kiwi, she has spent most of her life in Howick, New Zealand, with time living in Waiuku and central Wellington. She currently lives and works in Oxford, in the United Kingdom.

Her debut

The Locked Tomb (3 books)
  • Harrow the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #2)
  • Alecto the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #3)
“I cannot conceive of a universe without you in it” 20 likes