Start by marking “Unleashed” as Want to Read:
Unleashed

Unleashed

(Jinxed #2)

When Lacey Chu wakes up in a hospital room with no recollection of how she got there, she knows something is up. But with her customizable smart pet, Jinx, missing in action and Moncha, the company behind the invention of the robot pet, up to something seriously sinister, she’s got a lot of figuring out to do. Lacey must use all her engineering skills if she has a chance ...more
Published August 22nd 2019 by Simon & Schuster Children's UK (first published 2019)

Start your review of Unleashed
Nikki
Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ahhh

This just made me want more. I did miss the fun of the school environment, and the Pokemon style battles, and a little bit of the techie tinkering. But I adored the corporate conspiracy we get instead!

Jinx is still sassy af, Lacey is awesome and super smart, and I loved Zora and the Academy crew. Plus we get to learn more about Paul hehe. I like neighbour Paul.

Honestly I just love a evil company and conspiracy story line and Eric Smith plays the bad guy so very well, he is properly evil.
Sabrina
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
At the end of book 1 we were left with Lacey unconscious so I was very excited to get to this book. Unfortunately it took a while to really keep my attention. Lacey is supposed to be super-smart but she seems quite clueless through the first part of the book. There are some really obvious things that she just ignores or forgets as soon as she's told, and a couple of events just seem to be glossed over. Luckily after the shaky start it got really gripping, even as I got near the end I couldn't ...more
Marlieke
Jan 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Spoiler alert!

The last chapter was a real tear-jerker.

Still not really over it, even though the ending was a happy one.
Dreximgirl
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I very much enjoyed this sequel. I liked Jinxed a lot when I read it last year, especially the last 100 or so pages and this one keeps up that pace almost all the way through. I very much like the friendships Lacey has and how they all work together. One big thing was a little obvious to me and took the characters themselves a long time to work out but it didn't stop me enjoying the book at all.

A solid 4.5 stars and the sadness that I can't have a baku is real.
Kat
Feb 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Sequel to one of my favourite buys from YALC a few years ago 'Jinxed'. It's a world where you have AI daemons (His Dark Materials kind of daemons), that are linked to social media and are needed to participate in society. This one is much more about the impact of being too reliant on technology. I've not seen much movement online about this duology and I think they deserve more love, it's dystopia lite with women in STEM. As well as the equivalent of real life pokemon battles with your AI ...more
Tiah
Feb 11, 2020 added it
~Why do they make schools so hideously ugly?~

~An underground street, a sloth baku and a conspiracy theory...Sounds like a wild dream.~

~With absolutely everything stored on the cloud, it's possible that if the internet went down and all the bakus failed, we'd have nothing real remaining.~

~Life doesn't always like to be colour-coded, even if I use the shiniest stickers. Sometimes, the things you think you can rely on, the foundations upon which you build your life, end up crumbling away.~

~You're
Unseen Library
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From exciting young adult author Amy McCulloch comes Unleashed, the fun sequel to her clever 2018 release, Jinxed.

Jinxed was an intriguing piece of young adult science fiction that I quite enjoyed last year. McCulloch, who also writes under the name Amy Alward, created a fascinating near-future world where the new tech obsession is bakus, the must-have technological companion. Bakus are essentially a combination of all the smart devices and a robotic pet which can take a variety of animal forms
SJH (A Dream of Books)
4.5 stars.

'Unleashed' is the second part of Amy McCulloch's brilliant duology which began last year with 'Jinxed'. I was very excited to read this and I wasn't disappointed! It was great to return to the world of Monchaville and to see all my favourite characters again.

If you haven't yet read 'Jinxed' then I would strongly suggest doing so before starting this one. Everything will make a lot more sense to you in terms of the futuristic setting. Basically, society has now evolved to the point
Mia
Feb 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Since its been so long my memory was struggling at the start of the story but thats okay, Laceys was too so it kinda felt like we were trying to recall the last books event together. Shes comes to after being in a coma confused and wanting Jinx, forgetting she had set him free to live with the real cats. (For those of you who cant remember Jinx was a more intellegent baku - he was independant)

Laceys is back with her little beetle, but something just feels off about him. Then on returning to
Differently  Abled Mother
I wondered how this could live up the first book in the series and it couldn't have been any better. The series can be enjoyed by adults and children alike. I love the storyline and surprisingly original ideas. This book brought out more emotion from me than I expected which makes it get full marks from me. I hope there are more to come
Sam Wright
Feb 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this. It's clearly young fiction but the story was fun, it was easy to follow and was a decent escape for a few hours. I loved the tech focus and the strength of our female heroine. This is part of a series and I hadn't read the first book, but it was easy enough to figure out what was going on and catch up. I liked it.
Harriet
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely thrilling continuation of the first book (Jinxed) both books truly sent me on a rollercoaster of emotions, going from light hearted and happy, to having me in tears, or wanting to throw the book across the room in anger.

I 100% recommend this book (and the first), the tale is gripping and keeps you wanting to read more and more!
Violet Wilson
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was better than the first, which is saying a lot due to how incredible the storyline was, this book is definitely my favourite by far because of the amount of trials and tribulations Lacey, Zora and Team Tobias encounter.
Lisa Rowe
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-2019
Loved it! It has made me fall in love all over again. I loved Jinxed and now Unleashed. I want a Baku of my own!!
Janika Puolitaival
Can I have baku too? Pretty please? Worth reading just for these baku companions. Better than first book, plot thickens, characters grow. And bakus, bakus.
Louise
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Rating 4.5/5- you can see my full review here! :)
Bobbi
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
Neelam
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Last year I read Jinxed by Amy McCulloch and absolutely loved it and it ended on a cliffhanger so I had been waiting for Unleashed to release ever since and the sequel did not disappoint! I loved it as much as Jinxed!

Once I started reading Unleashed I could not put it down and basically read it in two evenings. These books deserve all the love and I need everyone to go read them. It’s STEM girls saving the world, what more could you want?!

The story starts a month after the ending in Jinxed and
Larissa
China
Aug 30, 2019

• The Kingdom
  • Under a Dancing Star
  • The Good Luck Girls (The Good Luck Girls, #1)
  • OtherLife (Last Reality, #3)
  • The Starless Sea
  • The Conference of the Birds (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #5)
  • Starsight (Skyward, #2)
  • A Good Girl's Guide to Murder (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #1)
  • Into the Crooked Place (Into the Crooked Place, #1)
  • Aru Shah and the Song of Death (Pandava Quartet, #2)
  • The Girl the Sea Gave Back (Sky in the Deep, #2)
  • Heartstream
  • Sea Witch Rising (Sea Witch, #2)
  • The Last Smile in Sunder City
  • Impostors (Impostors, #1)
  • Angel Mage
  • Pumpkinheads
  • The Toll (Arc of a Scythe, #3)
Amy McCulloch is a Chinese-White author, born in the UK, raised in Ottawa, Canada, now based in London, UK. She has written seven novels for children and young adults, and been published in over ten different languages.

Before becoming a full-time writer, she was editorial director for Penguin Random House Children’s Books. In 2013, she was named one of The Bookseller‘s Rising Stars of publishing.

Jinxed (2 books)