Start by marking “Hidden Pearl” as Want to Read:
Hidden Pearl

Hidden Pearl

It was 1939 and Hitler's troops were advancing into Poland. At 10 years old, Pearl's world and her family's lives were turned upside down.
Hidden Peal is an unforgettable story, vividly capturing young Pearl's ordeal during the Holocaust.
This is a story about courage, hope and the resilience of a young girl and her family during a devastating time in our history.
It is a
Published August 22nd 2019 by Little Egg Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about Hidden Pearl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hidden Pearl

Start your review of Hidden Pearl
Anna Louise
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to Net Galley for sending me copy in exchange for a honest review.

This was an incredibly moving and short story (around 110 pages) based on the life of the author's Jewish mother in law and what the family had to go through whilst they tried to survive in Nazi occupied Poland during WWII. There were beautiful photos of family members at the end of this book which really drove home that this was a true story, and these people had to survive through such horrors.

I was really moved by
♡ Neeka ♡
Oct 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-wrap-up
Thank you Netgalley and Little Egg Publishing Company for a free e-ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Hidden pearl is a simple and easy to read true story of a family during WW2. It is a tale of hope and courage in desperate times when families are torn apart. The author’s writing style is simple and and easy to read. This novel is ideal for young readers of the middle grade range. This novel is moving and makes you consider what one family will do to survive when humanity fails them.
Vee_Bookish
Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was ok
I'm also a book blogger: Vee_Bookish

I'm going to feel really guilty rating this book down, because while I completely understand that the author wanted a poignant story of one family's survival during the Nazi occupation of Poland - her own family in fact - I just felt like the story was a good first draft that needed to be longer and shaped into a much better, more engaging story. I did not feel like the story added anything new to the many books about this time that are available.

The story
Angel Lederhause
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a beautiful sad incredible story. I hate what happened to the Jews and the things those people went through it truly breaks my heart. This story is about pearl and her 10 year old self and the devastating life she had to live those years in hiding.
BreeAnn (She Just Loves Books)
What I Loved: Learning about the hiding of Jewish children in plain sight. I have not read a story like this before.
How I Felt: Saddened at the terrible things this family went through, but the strength of this entire family was so moving!
To Read or Not to Read: You must read this book! I finished it in less than 24 hours. It was so good!!

This is a true story, following Pearl and her family at the start of World War II in Poland. Pearl and her family must run as the Nazi's invade their town and
Anoeska Nossol
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to NetGalley for the ARC

In 'Hidden Pearl' we meet Pearl and her family. A Jewish family in World War II who had to flee their village. Something they postpone for some time. Just in time, they manage to escape, and then their adventure really starts. Pearl and her family do everything in their power not to get caught by the Germans. This story is true.

I was amazed by this story. I am shocked by the idea that this has happened. After reading stories from the concentration camps, I became
Jan
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poland, nazis, ww2, evil, short, love, hope
A true tale of both hope and inhumanity dressed in the finery of fiction. While Pearl and her family are hunted and separated, many of them survive and relate what they went through to their own family members. That is how this book came about. My biggest takeaway is the totally un Christian attitudes and behaviors of ordinary people who weren't even stupid enough to be nazi. A very moving book complete with post war follow up and even some family pictures.
I requested and received a free ebook
Janilyn Kocher
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hidden Pearl is a fast read. Based on the real life of Pearl, a young Polish girl, who hid from the Nazis during WWII. Her story is quite remarkable in that she was reunited with her parents during the war and two of her siblings also survived. I appreciated the afterward as well as the family photos at the end. Thanks to NetGalley for the early read.
Maddy Cordell
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is somewhere between a novel and a short story, telling the true story of the Author's own mother in law at the the of the second world war.

The family were Jewish, and having seen first hand the terrible things that were going on in their country of Poland, they decided that the only way to survive was to run away into the forest.

Living out in the forest for a prolonged period is not easy. Pearl had to run away without shoes and her feet are a mass of sores. Her many sisters and brothers
~bookworm~
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a true story - we follow Pearl, a young Polish Jewish girl, and her family at the start of World War II.
As the Nazi's start to decimate the Jewish population, Pearl and her family must escape. The family flee their home on foot, and as one family member is shot and a small child is lost in the confusion, Pearl & her family take refuge in a forest. With Aryan looks (blond hair & blue eyes), the older children soon realise that they all have a better chance of survival if some of
Nia (FaydrielReads)
**I recieved a copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review **

The Hidden Pearl illuminates her story of being of being a hidden child, and the difficult choices families had make in order to survive World War II.
Pearl's story begins with her family, her parents and brothers and sisters living in the countryside of Poland when they become face to face with the Gestapo invading their village. They were forced to flee in hopes of surviving.

It is stories like these that break
TheStonedMason
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a powerful true story of a young girl, Pearl, separated from her Jewish family to find safety in a stranger's house who cannot know who Pearl really is or where she comes from. Pearl becomes Genia and works hard, on the farm, to avoid bringing attention to herself or peaking her brutal and cruel "host's" suspicions. She works from dusk to dawn in return for food, shelter, and unknown to her housemates... Safety from the Nazis. Throughout her daily struggles Pearl is often visited by Leon, ...more
Brittany
Dec 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs
Thank you to Netgalley and Little Egg for this ARC!

I was looking forward to reading a historical novel set in WWII after reading so many YA/fantasy novels lately. I appreciated that this novel was written by the main characters daughter-in-law and was based on her real life experiences.

The writing is relatively simple and that, combined with the short length, made this a very quick read. I read the entire book during a two hour flight. I was not very familiar with the history of Jewish children
Shirley
Sep 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Survival of the Children
This story about a Jewish family and how they hid from the Nazi's in occupied Poland is a great one for young adults and perhaps even middle school children as well as adults.

It tells the story of how different members of the family split up and survived. It has no graphic passages and the extermination of the Jewish people is not dwelled upon.

The story is mainly based around one of the Children Pearl and a forest ranger that helped her find a home to hide as a non Jew.
Payal
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
A short and dark book about a Jewish family during the Holocaust, but it could have been a whole lot better. It's a children's book -- I'd put it in the middle-grade or younger category -- but even so, a bit simplistic, and seemed hurriedly written. There were names that were thrown in, with no introduction, for example, her mother's and her brothers'. The pacing was uneven as well. While their journey through the forest was described in detail, Pearl's life with her cruel employer were rushed ...more
The premise of this story is fascinating and it's a part of World War II history that I wasn't familiar with prior to reading the book. The author's mother-in-law was a young Jewish girl living in Poland at the outbreak of WWII. Her family flees into the woods to hide from the Nazis. She and several of her siblings end up posing as Aryan orphans in order to be taken in by non-Jewish Polish families in order to survive the war.

Despite the fact that this book is marketed as Adult and YA, it reads
RavenclawLibraryBooks
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
A powerful true story of a young girl, Pearl, separated from her Jewish family to find safety in a stranger's house who cannot know who Pearl really is or where she comes from. Pearl was taken in by a very unpleasant woman who wanted her as an unpaid slave, and hated Jews, however the woman's daughter was kind and that together with visits from a friend and from her brother, made life bearable. Pearl had to do what she could to survive and that included pretending to be Catholic and going to ...more
Rachael
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley-arc
Hidden Pearl is the true story of Pearl, a young Polish Jew in WWII. The author is Pearl's daughter-in-law and the details of the story are based on the memories she has shared of her experiences.

Many of the stories I've read over the years have followed a child who was literally hidden for the duration of the war: inside walls, under the floorboards, tucked in closets and attics; this is the story of a 10 year old girl who passes as a Catholic orphan and is able to hide in plain sight, helping
Belladonna
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Based upon a true story of Laufer's mother in law, Pearl and follows her and her family as they hide from the Nazis because they are Jewish during WW2. Pearl, and some of her siblings, are considered lucky to have blond hair and blue eyes, and therefore are able to take on new identities and find work on farms.

I haven't any books written by those who escaped the camps through hiding in plain sight before, and found it very interesting. It's well written and you see life through Pearl's eyes.

I
Gail Atkins
Dec 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
What an amazing short story of a Polish Jewish family who made sacrifices to survive the atrocities of the WW2.
Pearl was lucky to have blue eyes and blonde hair; totally going against the image of Jewish people. Pearl remained committed to her faith despite keeping it a secret and having to live as a young Catholic girl; as she knew it was her only means of survival.
I'm so glad that this story was shared with the world as it's an amazing read.
Erin Lorandos
Dec 27, 2019 rated it liked it
I was given this ebook by NetGalley in exchange for a review. This was an engaging short story detailing a young girl’s experience hiding from the Nazis during WWII. It was simply written, and would be great for younger readers. It conveyed the girl’s emotions well, and painted a high-level picture of the horrors Jewish people faced, but did not go into detail of the widespread story of the Holocaust.
Sally
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-galley-read, ww2
A great, quick read. I love true holocaust stories - always good when you know the main character is going to make it out alive too! It's still so hard for me to comprehend that this actually really happened, and in living memory... I can't fathom it. That's why I keep reading more and more books, it's horrifying and fascinating and seems so unreal.
Polly Krize
Nov 04, 2019 rated it liked it
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

The story of young Pearl's survival in Nazi-occupied Poland is uplifting and sensitively written. A short, powerful read.
Donna Pingry
Feb 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Excellent true story for school children. Today so many don't even believe it happened. The cost of war on the people who survived is a terrible thing and needs to be told.
Jo Linsdell
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thank you for Net Galley for a copy of this book.

I loved this book, and highly recommend it. An emotional insight into the horrors of what happened to families during the Nazi invasion of Poland. My kids are close to the age Pearl was when her family was torn apart and it was painful to image what it must have been like for her. I have to say, I held my own kids a little tighter after finishing the book.

If you liked The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank you might like this too.
Gail O'Connor
Sep 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Courageous story of a family fleeing the Nazis. Very well written. You could almost jump into the book and visualize the events and surroundings.
Don
Nov 09, 2019 rated it liked it
This s a young adult/adult read by classification. The writing is simple and geared towards a young audience. Interesting story of survival.
Fahra Daredia

• The Child of Auschwitz
  • The Fortunate Ones
  • The Whispers of War
  • The Secret Messenger
  • Cilka's Journey (The Tattooist of Auschwitz, #2)
  • A Perfect Tree
  • The Rabbit Girls
  • The Lies We Hide
  • Under Darkening Skies
  • Cristallisation Secrète
Born in Budapest, Hungary, J.E. Laufer immigrated with her parents and brother to North America as a young child. An educator by trade, Judy has spent more than 25 years in early childhood education, her experience ranging from a decade in the classroom to program administration and curriculum development. Her first picture book, Where Did Papa Go?, is the recipient of the World Society of Poets’ ...more