Start by marking “Gate 76” as Want to Read:
Gate 76

Gate 76

A mysterious woman fleeing an unknown terror boards the wrong plane at San Francisco International and disappears into the heart of the country. Freddy Ferguson, a troubled detective with a violent past, believes she's the only living witness to a crime that has captivated the nation.

Sifting through the wreckage of her past, he begins to understand who she's running from,
Published August 2019 by Stolen Time Press

To ask other readers questions about Gate 76, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gate 76

Start your review of Gate 76
Matt
May 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
First and foremost, a large thank you to NetGalley, Andrew Diamond, and Stolen Time Press for providing me with a copy of this publication, which allows me to provide you with an unbiased review.

What at first seems to be an airline disaster thriller soon takes on a life of its own in Andrew Diamond’s latest novel. While waiting to board his flight back to DC, Freddy Ferguson notices another passenger in queue at Gate 76, a flight soon departing San Francisco for Honolulu. This passenger, a
Katie B
This book had elements of a good story but the final result just didn't do anything for me. It started off promising with a private detective noticing some suspicious behavior by a woman at an airport. She's listed as a passenger of a plane that explodes, killing everyone on board. Freddy Ferguson is determined to find the answers to the case that is captivating the nation.

Unfortunately, the best part of the book is the beginning and then it is all downhill from there. I started to lose
Pat
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was another impulse (cheap) buy that I found surprisingly good. Freddy Ferguson is a former boxer which a troubled past who now works as a PI with a reputable firm. On his way through San Francisco airport he notices an attractive woman behaving oddly in the queue for boarding a flight to Honolulu. With nothing better to do he keeps an eye on her and sees her dash away from the gate at the last minute and head towards a flight to Chicago.

Later he learns that the Hawaii flight exploded
Dianne
When Freddy Ferguson witnesses a mysterious woman appear to board one flight, only to race toward another gate at the last minute, he had no idea she would become his gut-deep fixation. Why didn’t she board the plane she was escorted to? That plane that was blown out of the sky only minutes later. Was that fear or determination on her face? Does she know something that could yet get her killed?

As a private detective working for the airline, it’s his job to investigate the passenger manifest for
Janet
From the publisher ---

Madhu N
May 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book with an excellent beginning, lots of twists and unexpected ending.

Thanks to netgalley/author/publisher for the ARC.
Emily-Jane Orford
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
How often do you feel that immediate interest/ attraction to a complete stranger? Do you go out of your way to assess the person’s state of mind, state of life, state of well being? A chance encounter at an airport leaves Private Investigator Freddy Ferguson wondering if there is something more to the mysterious, good looking woman. The one with multiple bruises on her arm. The one who gives the appearance to board a plane, then doesn’t. The one who just missed being blown to bits on the same ...more
Gloria ~ mzglorybe
my rating 2.75 stars rounded up to 3
E-arc

Firstly, my thanks to Bookish.com, author Diamond, and the publisher for a pre-release e-copy of this novel to read for my honest and unbiased review.

This pulls the reader in at the gate, pun intended. This opens at San Francisco’s Int’l Airport, with passengers in a queue line. I won’t reiterate the main plot line as many have done so already, and the description by the publisher sums it up well for you.

Meeting complex and damaged character Freddy
marilyn
May 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gate 76 begins with Freddy Ferguson, a troubled detective, noticing a woman who seems distressed and uncomfortable, with a suspicious man, while at the airport. Freddy follows her and sees her get on a plane and then get off and get on another plane. Later that day, the first plane crashes, killing everybody on board. Freddy's agency works for the airlines so he and his coworkers began looking for clues to what happened to the plane and who caused it to blow up.

Freddy had an uncomfortable
Book
May 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This story begins with a private investigator, Freddy Ferguson, observing an attractive woman being manhandled to board a flight to Hawaii. He watches as she manages to make a switch and board a flight to Chicago. He wonders about what he observed on his flight back home to Washington, D.C., and when he disembarks Freddy hears the news that the Hawaii flight has crashed into the sea with a full passenger list.

The next day, Freddy and his partner, Ed Hartwell, are engaged by the airline’s
Debbie
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First off, I want to say that apparently this author is not well known. Yet. Well, I think readers are missing a very good book here. Now, on with my review.

Wow! What an adventure this book took me on. I absolutely loved the narration by Freddy about his life. He would make a statement about something in his past and then a few chapters later, he would explain what had happened to him.

The mystery woman shows up very early in the book, as in chapter 1 and then anything about her goes away. This
Lorrea - WhatChaReadin'?

Freddy Ferguson is a private investigator. While walking through the San Francisco airport, a blonde woman catches his attention as she is being escorted on to a flight to Hawaii. She doesn't look very pleased with her escort, maybe this is why she catches Freddy's attention. There are other people in the airport as well that seem to be watching her and her escort to see if they are doing what they should. After she boards the plane and her "handlers" clear the area, she gets off the
Jannelies
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
After a very strong start, this book hopelessly morphs into a confusing story with way, way too many people in it for my liking. I've read a part on Saturday, and when I opened the book again on Sunday, I was completely lost and didn't know what it was all about, except for that very strong start.
So I'm very sorry to say but I gave up. Two starts because the story is there - somewhere.
Sadie
Jul 01, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Donna Hines
Aug 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Fleeing from the unknown until the unknown catches up to you from high above the raptures of the Earth.
Gate 76 is heart pounding action that is suspenseful yet magical.
Freddy Ferguson is the detective who believes the woman may just be the only living witness left to a crime that's enthralled her nation and captivated many minds.
Who is she? Why is she running?
This is the ultimate fight or flight response in full panic mode..
Silence is golden but not for victims of serious crimes...
We cannot let
Joyce
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a procedural that was a solid 4.5 stars raised to 5. Our hero, a former professional boxer, is a DC private detective. He sees a woman at the San Francisco airport that he is convinced needs help. He sees her go through boarding for one plane and then leave after everyone is boarded and go to another plane. When he gets back to DC he learns that the first plane crashed, killing everyone on board shortly after takeoff. Their firm is hired by the airline to look into the crash and his ...more
Myreadbooks
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
On the cover we see an airplane in the sky.

It all starts when a mysterious woman takes the wrong plane to flee an unknown terror and she disappears. Detective Ferguson is investigating this disappearance by thinking that she has witnessed a crime. The more he goes forward in this investigation, the more he will discover many things about the past of this famous unknown.

A captivating story I liked the pen of the author, the script.
Sharon C
Apr 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading Gate 76 took me back in time to the novels of Raymond Chandler and Dashiell Hammett. The hero of the novel is Freddy Ferguson, a former boxer turned private investigator. The story is told in the first person by Freddy starting with him going through security at SFO and noticing a woman who appears to be being strong-armed onto a flight by a sketchy character. Freddy is a guy who gets premonitions and something about this woman definitely raises his antennae, especially when he sees her ...more
Margaret Yelton
I received this book as a Good reads giveaway. First I would like to say thank you for allowing me to read and review the book. In exchange for that I will give a fair and just review. Although the book started off strongly, about a third thru the book, it began to drag for me. When I read a thriller or book of suspense, I really look for it to hook me quickly and not let me go. I kept putting this book down the longer I read because if just couldn't keep my interest. I know from reading other ...more
Debbie Oxier
I had a difficult time getting through this one. What could have been suspenseful just wasn't. There was a lot of narrative that bogged everything down. And the characters weren't all that likeable. I found it hard to connect to Freddy. I had no interest in spending time with him, learning more about him, or finding out what made him tick. Found the story disappointing to say the least when I expected so much more.
Louetta Waters
May 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to Netgalley and the publishers for the opportunity to read an advance copy of this publication in return for an unbiased review.

Gate 76 is a good old-fashioned crime mystery. Not a "light read" by any means. Very well written, it has strong multiple characters and a complex plot with lots of twists and turns, and demands ones full attention.
This one deserves a strong 5 stars.
3 no 7
Jul 28, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Gate 76” by Andrew Diamond is a modern thriller with a classic noir feel. Freddy Ferguson, A private detective with a dark and troubled past, notices a suspicious woman at San Francisco International airport. When the plane that lists her on the passenger manifest explodes, killing everyone on board, he resolves to find answers. The case mesmerizes the nation, and Freddy works to discover the truth. In the process, he uncovers corrupt politicians, dirty cops, and past secrets.

Diamond creates a
Jessica
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Give me a book by a new to me author any day after reading this!! The cover plus the synopsis was what drew me in. I am so glad I read this book. One chapter in and I was hooked! In the first little bit of the book, we learned about Freddy Ferguson's rough life before becoming a Private Investigator and also some more important parts of his life, parts that helped shape him into the man he is. There are so many twists that keep the story interesting and engaging and most definitely free from a ...more
Lisa
Jun 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an intriguing read. It started off at a fast pace, with Freddy observing a man and woman boarding a plane acting strangely. Freddy does undercover work and notices more than the average man. He also notices that the woman doesn’t board the plane as expected. Then the plane explodes in midair. Freddy winds up investigating the incident. This leads us to meeting a lot of unsavory characters. I liked this story and the intensness of the pace but didn’t care for the use of the Lord’s name ...more
Erika
Oct 19, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was pretty middle of the road. I wanted a story to suck me in and I didn’t want to have to think. Boom and boom, Gate 76 did the job. There were also a few funny parts where I actually found myself chuckling. Like here:

“I just don’t think anyone would be lucky enough to pick a name that happened to belong to a nurse, and then board a flight full of nurses. I know some people who have the opposite kind of luck. Like they call 911 because they were in a bike accident and then the ambulance
Pattyh
Oct 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you Netgalley for the opportunity to preview Gate 76 by Andrew Diamond.
A woman is going on a plane and it looks suspious to a police officer. The woman enters a ladies room and he notices that something is not right. The plane crashes and police officer, Freddy Ferguson knows that something is wrong here and must investigate to find out what is behind this mysterious woman and the plane.
Intriguing and on point. Rating 3 stars.
KellI Preston
This was a good mystery/thriller type story, not stellar, but good. The writing flowed and the story took off right away. There was not a lot of slow paced areas, just straight up action from the get go. Enough that it kept you going. The only parts that were a little slower were the backstory parts but they were probably necessary for the story so I didn't mind it.

However, it just wasn't a book that kept me wanting to turn pages and keep reading way past my middle age bedtime. I found myself
Dalene W.
Dec 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an interesting book. I enjoyed the characters.
KatsCauldron
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Title: Gate 76
Author: Andrew Diamond
Publisher: Stolen Time Press
Release Date: June 1, 2018
Language: English
read from: www.netgalley.com
This was a nice tight thriller crime novel with a gritty 5os gumshoe book feel like the ones I snuck and read and weaned myself on in preteen times from my papaws library. The difference is the setting is modern but all the basics for the vices the same. Broken people in broken times, the good, the bad and the ugly. Definitely recommend if you want a good taste
Anna
Apr 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to Net galley and the Publisher for a free ARC novel in exchange for an honest review.

Gate 76 is an example of a good "old-fashioned" murder mystery. Mr. Diamond created strong characters that are described so clearly that you can imagine yourself in the room with them. The same goes for the description of the locations, you can easily visualize the locales. There are many references to boxing, descriptions of boxing and the world surrounding it. The chapters are strong and you want to
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Bookish First Rea...: Gate 76 by Andrew Diamond 1 2 Oct 22, 2019 10:55AM

• The Painted Art Journal: 24 Projects for Creating Your Visual Narrative
  • Skyjack (Thea Paris #2)
  • Payback (Dan Stone Assassin, #1)
  • The Shaman (Dan Stone Assassin, #2)
  • Bluff
  • The Art of Escaping
  • The Escape Room
  • Reborn (The Red Ledger, #1-3)
  • The Girls Are Gone
  • Sleep Tight
  • No Less Days
  • The Byline Bible: Get Published in Five Weeks
  • The Look-Alike
  • Rise of the Superheroes: Greatest Silver Age Comic Books and Characters
  • Widows (Dolly Rawlins, #1)
  • Leave No Trace
  • The Last Good Guy (Roland Ford #3)
  • Sister of Mine
Andrew Diamond writes mystery, crime, and noir. His books feature cinematic prose, strong characterization, twisting plots, and dark humor. Amazon editors named Impala a best of the month mystery, and IndieReader named it to their best of 2016 list. Impala also won the Readers' Favorite Gold Medal for mystery and the 24th Annual Writer's Digest award for genre fiction. BestThrillers.com called ...more