Start by marking “The Unfettered Child” as Want to Read:
The Unfettered Child

The Unfettered Child

Her tribe is shattered. Her parents are gone.

When eight-year-old Samara faces the capture of her tribe, an unimaginable power awakens within her. Even as this magic threatens to consume her, a disembodied voice intervenes, offering guidance and helping her control these newfound abilities.

Meanwhile, Samara’s father chases his wife’s captors across an unfamiliar terrain. Bu
Published August 28th 2019 by Independently Published

To ask other readers questions about The Unfettered Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Unfettered Child

Siobhan
The Unfettered Child is a very character-driven fantasy, without the masses of world-building I usually love in my fantasy novels. Despite this, the lack of world-building more than works for this story. The limited knowledge we have reflects the limited knowledge the characters have, sucking us right into the story.

Within the story, there are all the necessities of a good fantasy novel. From the magic to the conflict, The Unfettered Child ticks of countless fantasy boxes. It’s a story that give
Alana Bloom
The opening was intriguing with talking skeletons, evil elves, and a rivalry for the ages. After introducing us to the history, readers are moved forward at a very quick pace. The Unfettered Child switches POV each time the plot needs to barrel forward which is nice if you are wondering what the villains are up to but it also makes it difficult to get to know the characters. I didn’t feel attached to any of the characters. Each of the characters was driven solely by emotion rather than employing ...more
Sheena ☆ Oh, the Sheenanigans!

Rating: ★★★★✬ (4.5/5 Stars)
Title: The Unfettered Child
Content Rating: R
POV: Third Person
Smexy Level: Subtle
Favorite Quote(s):
― “To still be alive when everyone else is dead. To be free, but to have nothing left.”
Overall Opinion:
Let’s start off by saying how astonished I was by how quick I was immersed with this novel and how easily I was absorbed in the f
Kaili Taghon  (Entertainingly Nerdy)
I don't read fantasy that often but it seems the few I've been reading lately have been really good. The unfettered child was really good! It is about a young girl finding out that she has powers that she can't quite handle. Every time I read a fantasy book like this it always makes me miss playing world of warcraft since the have similar characters. The book is very well written and grabbed my attention the entire way through. I will be rereading this one!
Kat
Aug 23, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Samara may only be 8, but powerful magic rests in her body. It is peaceful, until the women of her tribe are captured and elves invade and begin to slaughter her people. Thinking herself the only survivor, and with no memory of what she did, she sets out to try to find her mother. She is guided by a voice in her head that instructs her in magic and guides her way. Meanwhile, Samara’s father, Orin, survived the slaughter as he had already set out in search for his wife. With the only remaining so ...more
cafeyre
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Energy
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Samara was born under auspicious circumstances, and 8 years later, her tribe finds itself under attack. They have something the elves want, only they're not aware of that. The elves take the women harvesting for two reasons, a bargaining chip and to work as slaves. The tribe is no match for the elves. Samara, frustrated and scared, unleashes something, a power beyond imagination, and a power beyond her control.

Upon realizing that he's lost a good portion of his tribe, and clueless to his daught
Haley Renee The Caffeinated Reader
3.5/5

This had a bit of essence of Dune to it as far as writing style went and I loved that. Sahd gives us an intriguing world, and he casually gives us world-building without going too deeply and this works for the purpose of this story which at its heart is about a few characters and the connections they have, with each other and with magic in some way.

Young Samara was a good protagonist, I wish I would have connected more to her, I did feel there was a lack of connection between myself as the
Insert Name Here
Aug 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
A young girl is caught in a war between Mages and Elves in this fantasy from first time novel writer Michael. When Elves attack her tribe, Samara discovers previously unknown magic powers. Under the uncertain tutelage of a dismebodied Elf, she sets out to chase down the survivors of her tribe.

I'll be honest: I might not have chosen this book for myself, going by the blurb or the first few pages. It doesn't sound like the kind of story I usually like, and it opens in the middle of a story we have
Margaret Adelle
I was given an advanced copy by the author in exchange for an honest review.

The idea of this story intrigued me, about a little girl that is forced on her own after the destruction of her people. However, I will say the synopsis is a bit misleading, as things aren't quite as simple as "tribe destroyed, girl's powers are awakened to help her tribe." It's more like "girl uncovers horrendous powers she can't control and causes devastation."

The plot was intriguing, although there were times it fel
Mary Bradley
Sep 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book follows the story of a young girl who discovers she has mysterious and dangerous powers after her tribe is attacked and her world falls apart. She must journey alone with no one but her new powers when she gets separated from her tribe. Can she learn to control her mysterious powers and face the great darkness looming in front of her, or will she fall victim to the darkness inside her?

My thoughts:

This book is not my typical read, and I didn’t know what to expect going in, but The Unfet
Courtney
I had no idea what I was expecting when I began reading this book but I did enjoy the book.

Overall, I thought the book began well. The beginning was face paced, intense and it gets the reader hooked quickly. I thought the middle bit of the book was not as face paced and for me, at times, felt repetitive with Samara destroying.

Throughout the book the fathers story and Samara's stories are told. There was a lot of build up and I found myself routing for Samara and her father. I was a little bit
Amy Shannon
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Grand Fantasy

Sahd pens a grand story in The Unfettered Child. The genre is fantasy, but the feeling of the story feels almost real. Samara is a great character with a lot of depth, and she's just a child. She has these powers that she is trying to figure out how to use and how to not let them lose control. I enjoyed this story, and entering Samara's world. This is the first book of Sahd's that I've read, but I really enjoyed the story. It's not just about powers but about survival and even inner
Caffeinated Fae
Trigger Warning: Sexual Assault & Extreme Violence

I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Unfortunately, I made it to the 53% mark and I'm going to have to DNF. This book is extremely violent and when paired with sexual assault it became too much for me to read.
Phillip Lumsden
Lindsey Bates
Regina Holland
Nancy Jones
Jul 29, 2019
Book Giveaways: 100 Copies Of The Unfettered Child Up For Grabs! 1 16 Jul 30, 2019 12:52PM
Michael C. Sahd grew up in Santa Fe, New Mexico. From a young age, he read voraciously, particularly in the fields of fantasy and science fiction. Shortly after becoming a teenager, he learned to play and enjoy fantasy games such as Dungeons and Dragons. At around the same time, he began writing stories and D&D campaigns of his own.

As an adult, Michael attended the College of Santa Fe, studyin