Start by marking “Love Poems of Elizabeth and Robert Browning” as Want to Read:
Love Poems of Elizabeth and Robert Browning

Love Poems of Elizabeth and Robert Browning

4.2  ·  Rating details ·  330 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
The marriage of the Brownings was by most standards an unlikely union of opposites. Yet, despite their differences, each one's poetry is a celebration of their unbroken devotion, compatibility, and passion; and together their poems reflect the union of two great souls.
Published December 1st 1994 by Dorset Press (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Love Poems of Elizabeth and Robert Browning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love Poems of Elizabeth and Robert Browning

The Complete Stories and Poems by Edgar Allan PoeThe Selected Poetry of Rainer Maria Rilke by Rainer Maria RilkeThe Complete Poems of Emily Dickinson by Emily DickinsonThe Poetry of Robert Frost by Robert FrostThe Complete Poems by John Keats
Best Poets
270 books — 325 voters
The Complete Poems of Emily Dickinson by Emily DickinsonLeaves of Grass by Walt WhitmanAriel by Sylvia PlathShakespeare's Sonnets by William ShakespeareThe Waste Land and Other Poems by T.S. Eliot
Best Poetry Books
1,879 books — 1,992 voters

More lists with this book...

P.S. Winn
Oct 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Beautiful feel to these poems, great book to have next to your bed and read before you settle down for the night.
Leah
Jan 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: absolutely-love
Wow, I adored these poems. They were beautiful. Robert and Elizabeth had such a fascinating and beautiful love story and their poetry definitely reflects that.

All that I know
Of a certain star
Is, it can throw
(Like the angled spar)
Now a dart of red,
Now a dart of blue,
Till my friends have said
They would fain see, too,
My star that dartles the red and the blue!
Then it stops like a bird: like a flower, hangs furled;
They must solace themselves with the Saturn above it.
What matter to me if their star
uh8myzen
Sep 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Forget all of the mindless and empty Hollywood romances of our day which are more about publicity than true effection. The Brownings shared a truely passionate and loving relationship which was echoed in the poetry and letters they wrote to one another.

For anyone who wants real passion and romance, this is the real thing. For anyone looking for deep and meaningful verse, this is also the real thing. This collection contains timeless love shared and explored through the verse of two of the great
Colleen
Jan 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
The cutest couple in history. Also, I kind of want to go back in time and steal her dog, but Flush would probably bite me for separating him from his owner.
Shelby Rollenhagen
Poetry is such a beautiful thing.

I have to admit that I enjoy Elisabeth Barret Browning far more than her husband. Just her works I would give 4 stars.

My favorite verse: "I have known how sickness bends,
I have known how sorrow breaks, -
How quick hopes have sudden ends,
How the heart thinks till it aches
Of the smile of buried friends."
Matthew Metzdorf
There are some lovely poems in here. There are also quite a few dull ones (mainly from Robert). I don't like how much more space Mr. Browning is afforded in this book. Seems that if its "The Love Poems of Elizabeth and Robert Browning" it should be a pretty equal split. Perhaps he was more prolific? I don't care enough to look.
Annie
Apr 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice, pleasant read. I think Robert Browning has a better grasp of composition (or, at least, the type of composition I prefer), but Elizabeth has more depth of feeling. I was looking for an excellent example of requited love, and I found it here.
Nov 16, 2008 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed the poems of Mr. and Mrs. Browning. I didn't know much about their life before reading this book. These poems are beautiful and personal and powerfully emotional. This was a surprise to me too considering the era they were written in.
Keri Daskam
Feb 17, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: year-8
I know my reading didn't do justice to this book. Still, I learned more about the Brownings, increased my poetry intake, and realized I prefer Robert to Elizabeth. 'Love in a Life', 'Summum Bonum', and 'A Lovers' Quarrel' were my favorites.

Vera Lynn
Sep 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful!
Resader
shhhh
Kristin
Sep 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
A very nice collection of Love Poems.
Ronald
Oct 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
it made me grow up with time and taught me how to love
Andrea Travis
May 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Their romance always delights me, mine seems much darker. excellent read.
Mónica Deza
Rosalba
Oct 06, 2009
  • The Love Poems of Lord Byron: A Romantic's Passion
  • Book of Love Poetry
  • The Letters of Robert Browning and Elizabeth Barret Barrett 1845-1846 Vol I (1899)
  • The Surgeons: Life and Death in a Top Heart Center
  • Troublemaker and Other Saints
  • The Barbarians are Coming
  • The Lost Daughter of Happiness: A Novel
  • White Fluffy Clouds: Found Inspiration Moving Forward
  • The Best Damn Sales Book Ever: 16 Rock-Solid Rules for Achieving Sales Success!
  • Rescue Me
  • The Best American Erotic Poems: From 1800 to the Present
  • Erotic Poems
  • The Erotic Spirit: An Anthology of Poems of Sensuality, Love, and Longing (Shambhala Library)
  • It's All about the Dress: What I Learned in Forty Years about Men, Women, Sex, and Fashion
  • Men Who Can't Love: How to Recognize a Commitment Phobic Man Before He Breaks Your Heart
  • Bright Star: Love Letters and Poems of John Keats to Fanny Brawne
  • Opus Posthumous: Poems, Plays, Prose
  • American Knees
Elizabeth Barrett Browning was one of the most respected poets of the Victorian era.

Born in County Durham, the eldest of 12 children, Browning was educated at home. She wrote poetry from around the age of six and this was compiled by her mother, comprising what is now one of the largest collections extant of juvenilia by any English writer. At 15 Browning became ill, suffering from intense head an
More about Elizabeth Barrett Browning...