Start by marking “The Pain Colony” as Want to Read:
The Pain Colony

The Pain Colony

Hidden deep in the desert, true believers suffer extreme pain to show their devotion to Purification.

…unaware that they will soon be victims of the most chilling medical discovery in human history.

DEA Special Agent Peter Malloy is no stranger to the devastating impact of drugs. So when six bodies turn up with surgical ports in their spines, he’s sure a potent new opioid is the culprit. But

Published August 22nd 2019 by Narrow Ledge Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Pain Colony, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pain Colony

Start your review of The Pain Colony
Kathi Defranc
Sep 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Amazing Introduction To ' The Colony', Where A Person's Life Is Changed

Wow, a very interesting story that takes a look at gene editing inside a human body, and shows what a person can become. A very different approach by some rich scientists who use a thesis from college by a young woman interested in the uses of pain. Her thesis comes to life with her unaware, and being used as a name involved in everything when in reality she has no clue!
A fascinating adventure that is intriguing and real
Amanda
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"You have something here, something that I can take away from you. You don't see it yet but it's here, all right."

"Your name. It's mine now. What's your name?"

This book was so much better than I was expecting based on the synopsis. I would love to see it be made into a movie or TV show. The big twist at the end was so unexpected. 100% recommended.
Tam
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
WOW, what a read! The plot was intense, modern, edgy and thrilling and held me captive all the way through! The characters fairly leapt off the page, and the tension was palpable. And, as if all of that didn't make this the perfect read, there's a massive twist at the end that I totally didn't see coming which left me reeling! If you are looking for a book that you just CAN’T put down, then this is DEFINITELY the book for you! I'm REALLY looking forward to the next one in this series!!!
Debbie Rosenberg
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This sci-fi mystery is great. I enjoyed this book so much I could not put it down. The Pain Colony has a great deal going on but Hunt manages to tie it all together into a fabulous story that twists and turns, keeping you guessing. I am really impressed by the way she developed the characters. Extremely well thought out plot! I highly recommend this book. A must read!
Deborah thompson
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Medical thriller

This book is part medical thriller and part cult Very intriguing and suspenseful This author wrote a great book that keeps you in suspense from first chapter Highly recommend if you like thrillers
Steven Levy
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I don't want to give away any spoilers so I won't say too much about the plot. I can say the story will keep you turning the pages and rushing towards the end. It reminded me of when I first read "Daemon"by Daniel Suarez. The world can be a tough place and this book does not pretend otherwise.
Stacey Camp
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh goodness, this book was absolutely impossible to put down!

I just happened upon this book while perusing the Amazon Kindle book selection and decided to try my luck with it after reading the intriguing description. I am SO excited to see that Shanon Hunt is writing a follow up to this book - it seriously cannot come soon enough for me!

WARNING - this book will keep you on the edge of your seat to the point you won't want to stop reading....and then when you finish it, you will want more!

T/>
Janet
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thought Provoking

I enjoyed this book. It is for open minded readers who will read without making judgements about science .
I'm not saying you won't cringe a time or two. This would be a great book for a progressive book club.
Janice Avery
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Keeps your attention from beginning to end

Very interesting story. The science of curing people through gene regeneration is fascinating. Keeps you o n the edge of your seat.
Lozzie
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Pain Colony was an interesting and thrilling read. It was different to the other books that I usually read, but it really caught my interest, and I could not put it down.

The themes of the novel were intriguing. I loved the element of science within the thriller of the book. It was intricate and incredibly thought out.

There were times where I didn't know whose perspective was who, but it got easier after a while, and I loved how Layla's memories were written in first person; felt
Kathy Cvetnich
Sep 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Pain tolerance, dead bodies turning up all with 1 thing in common. Desperate to flush out the culprits and lies for drugs and secret research.
Allison is scapegoat, has FBI watching her every move, she is trying to find out what’s going on in her company. Involvement of a cult that deals with pain, The Pain Colony. Great story lots of twists, turns and secrets. Money, greed, illegal experimentation on humans. You have got to read this page turner.
Carrie
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Not really into science fiction books but this was awesome, however I like my "poison" life just fine. I can't imagine and this is not just fiction I mean what you read in here is basically what the government wants to do to us. I received this book from an ad on Facebook and have sence scripted to the Author all of the above is my opinion as I am voluntarily reviewing.
Marta
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It was wonderful. I was surprised how fast I read it. The Pain Colony was one I couldn't put down. Can't wait for more.... Surprised at Jim's graphic description. What kind of book is his interests? Why did he bother to read it? Shanon, continue to write!
Christine Saper
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shanon Hunt's The Pain Colony is a compelling tale, and one whose themes of money, privilege, power and greed really resonate with me. Throw that into a mix of illegal medical experimentation and you've got a perfect storm. The Pain Colony is artfully told through a series of alternating events. The structure of Hunt's novel meshes seemingly parallel events and characters with just enough time and text on their respective segments, and allows them to ultimately merge. I have read so many books w ...more
Barbara Williams
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
One bizarre story

If this is a glimpse into the world of tomorrow, may I leave this earth today. A scientifically altered society, where human beings must meet the criteria of profound perfection, devised by the few, under the guise of alleviating pain and suffering. Where minds are erased and alternate memories are created. No thanks. I'll stick with imperfection. One scary look into a future that just may happen.
Cat Manning
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I admit it took me a little bit to get into the book but I'm glad I did! Well worth the read.
BookTrib.com
Shanon Hunt thought enough of this quote from George Eliot to put it at the top of her website: “It is never too late to be what you might have been.”

A pharmaceutical industry executive for 15 years inspired by Eliot’s words, Hunt has parlayed a powerful gene-editing mechanism called CRISPR with her own experience of cutting-edge medical advances into an edge-of-your-seat debut suspense thriller called The Pain Colony (Narrow Ledge Publishing).

Let’s hope it’s not her last
Lynn Keith
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Seriously demented

This story had a very twisted plot that I really got into. The idea of down-regulating pain genetically was mind-blowing to me. I thought it was absolutely brilliant! Also, having injection ports left in people's backs as a tell-tale sign of addiction was a great clue, I thought. All of it was just terrific. Between the evil drug people and the evil cult you didn't know who to be afraid of, this story was great!
Rosemary L Lovell
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great story I really enjoyed.

This is an amazing story well worth reading. There is a lot going on. My only complaint is the story is somewhat disjointed. Pay attention or you could miss something! To my complete dismay I figured out the ending not far into the book. I don't look ahead so it was not totally spoile!
lindel
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
Had potential

This book started off with such a bang that I couldn't wait to get to the whodunit. But alas it meandered on at a snails pace until I lost all hope . Literally dragged myself to the conclusion. How could it all go so wrong? It's as if someone else took over the writing midway. Maybe a c!one!
lee graziano
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this is less than 24 hours. Suspenseful throughout and the ending had my jaw dropped. You think you know what’s going on, but you have no idea. I highly recommend this book. Awesome. One of the best books I’ve read this year.
Lori Darby
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great Book

i loved all the twists and turns this book had, will read mote of Shanon Hunt books in the future
Ti.Me
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
This really made my insides squirm. Good and scary story.

4 stars
Audrey L.
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fun and exciting read. Loved the twists and turns. I'm looking forward to the sequel!
Belinda O'donnell
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Reality or tall tale

Once you’ve started you will have trouble putting this book down. Questions are asked and events are depicted that could be in full production all across the world. Which side of the tale or reality will your human existence place you in.....admiration and excitement or abject fear.
dana faber
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great science behind this book

One of the best books I've read lately. Fast paced detective story, great cutting edge science, and very well written. I can't wait for more from this writer. Yes, you write your story well enough.😊
Jackie Boomershine
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The story is SO UNIQUE!! Had me on the edge of my seat/ heart pumping hard the entire read. Definitely the kind of book that is very hard to put down. Loved it!!
michael kelly
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable

From the look of things this is the author's first book. How do I know that? The book was so good it was impossible to put down and when I was finished I was hoping there was a sequel. This book was a great read and I highly recommend it. I really hope the author decides to continue writing more about the "Pain Colony" I would really like more on the characters and subject matter.
Brandie Lea Slicer
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great medical/suspense sci-fi thriller!

This author’s writing reminds me of Robin Cook’s works! I enjoyed the plotline and suspense. It kept me guessing. Recommend.
Kevin Potter
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Here we have a beautifully written near-future science fiction thriller that is equal parts suspense, mystery, and terrifying science!

This is my first exposure to Erin deWard, but I've been a fan of Noah Michael Levine for a while now. Both narrators have a wonderful array of distinct voices and are phenomenal at both vocal inflections and matching their reading tempo to the tension in the scene.

While Noah is a bit better at opposite-gender voices than Erin is, she is an

• Intercepts
  • The Regret
  • Sleep Disorders
  • You Have To Believe Me
  • Augmented
  • Mosquito Man (World's Scariest Legends Book 1)
  • Never Ever (Eva Rae Thomas Mystery #3)
  • Winter's Curse (Winter Black #2)
  • Geostorm The Shift: A Post-Apocalyptic EMP Survival Thriller (The Geostorm Series Book 1)
  • Third Party
  • Living the Dream: Suspenseful & Shocking.
  • The Picture On The Fridge
  • Pretty Little Girls (An Agent Victoria Heslin Thriller, #2)