Start by marking “Te regalaré las estrellas” as Want to Read:
Te regalaré las estrellas

Te regalaré las estrellas

4.34  ·  Rating details ·  11,489 ratings  ·  1,824 reviews
Inspirada por la sed de aventuras y el deseo de abandonar la monotonía de Inglaterra, Alice Wright se enamora de un atractivo americano y toma la impulsiva decisión de aceptar su propuesta de matrimonio.

Pero su nueva vida en la pequeña y conservadora ciudad minera de Kentucky en la que Alice se instala con su marido y su autoritario suegro en medio de la Gran D
Published November 7th 2019 by Suma (first published October 3rd 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Te regalaré las estrellas, please sign up.
RoseMary Achey I have read both and the Buzzfeed article. So glad I found your question as the entire time I was reading “Giver of Stars” I continually was comparing…moreI have read both and the Buzzfeed article. So glad I found your question as the entire time I was reading “Giver of Stars” I continually was comparing it to “Book Woman”. Book Woman does a far better job of capturing the Appalachian narrative. In addition Book Woman is a more engaging story than Giver of Stars. It is unfortunate that Richardson’s book did not receive the same acceptance as Moyes-but if you are going to read one read Book Woman.(less)

·  11,489 ratings  ·  1,824 reviews

Start your review of Te regalaré las estrellas
Nilufer Ozmekik
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-my-read-list
I don’t have to give 5 billion stars to this book! I would donate the full galaxy system to the author if I could. (I already made a phone call and talked to a NASA technician about their star auction department, unfortunately he hanged up on my face! Can you believe it? And I told them I was Buzz Aldrin’s wife, those young people are really disrespectful, see I still stay in role!)

This amazing, fantastic, funny, heartwarming, emotional, genuine book gave me HOPE, HAPPINESS, made me
Dorie  - Cats&Books :)
I was so excited to see that Ms. Moyes had chosen to write a historical fiction novel and was fortunate enough to obtain an advanced readers copy. It is different from her previous contemporary women’s fiction and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

This book is a quick read, the prose flows beautifully and the plot moves along at a good pace. I found the characters to be well developed, interesting and unique.

As you all know from the blurb this book is based on the 1930’s Horseback Librarians
Paromjit
A brilliant epic historical drama set in the US Depression era in Kentucky and the Appalachians from Jojo Moyes that draws on real life actual history. Those who have been life long readers will understand the power of books and reading, Moyes focuses on just how important books can be in challenging and changing people and in shaping the world in this powerful telling of the Horseback Librarians of Kentucky. The English Alice Wright weds American Bennett Van Cleve on his European Tour to escape ...more
Angela M
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful tribute to how books can change people’s lives and to the Kentucky Pack Horse Librarians, so of course I loved this book. I first heard of the Pack Horse Librarians when I read The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek. It’s a fascinating piece of history. This initiative was started by Eleanor Roosevelt as part of the Works Progress Administration set up in the mid 1930’s. At first I thought that this would be just a good story about a group of gutsy, dedicated women who brought books t ...more
Debra
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss
“Since you get more joy out of giving joy to others, you should put a good deal of thought into the happiness that you are able to give.”
― Eleanor Roosevelt

Eleanor Roosevelt started a traveling library program and many women answered the call to become traveling librarians. Women traveled on horseback to bring books to those living in rural areas. From the years of 1936 to 1940 over 100,000 people were brought books.

Recently married, Alice (Wright) Van Cleve, has moved from England to h
Diane S ☔
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lor-2019
4.5 when I first started reading this I thought, wonderful another story about the pack librarians, this set in Kentucky. Wondered how close it would be to the The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek. Except for the job itself and being part of the WPA, not close at all. I was also glad that do many authors are writing about little known history, of strong women who refused to bend and accept only the roles available at that time.

Then I fell for the characters, was pulled into each of their li
Brenda -Traveling Sister host of The Traveling Friends
I am far in the minority here with this one. For someone who rarely is I am not sure what is wrong with me. Way too much drama here for me and with similarities to The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek I am just one BIG grump so I am moving on!
*TUDOR^QUEEN*
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars rounded up to 5

This was a wonderful work of historical fiction based on the WPA project "Pack Horse" librarians. It was the FDR Administration's order to create a travelling library in the Appalachian Mountains of rural Kentucky. During 1935-1943, women would ride horses to homes in these mountainous locales, delivering books to families. They would come again the next week to retrieve those books and switch them out with others. These librarians came to know these families
Larry H
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars, rounded up.

"Just a little homesick, Alice answered. It was the truth, she thought. She just wasn't sure she had yet been to the place she was homesick for."

Alice Wright was suffocating in England. Her parents always treated her as an embarrassment, seeing her "emotional" nature and her free spirit as a definite liability, something which needed to be quashed. When she met handsome athlete Bennett Van Cleve, who is visiting England with his father, their whirlwind romance surpr/>"Just
marilyn
Englishwoman Alice Wright meets and marries Kentuckian Bennett Van Cleve after he and his father visit her homeland. Bennet sweeps her off her feet and she's madly in love, picturing living in a busy city, Instead the Bennetts live in a small mining town where they run the mines that employ most of the men while also taking advantage of the men and their families.

The marriage that Alice entered into so happily is a loveless marriage, with her brutal father in law berating Alice at every turn. A
Nick
Oct 23, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I just got an ARC of this book and it is the most beautiful thing I have seen in a while.
Cheri
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Maybe just to know that something this beautiful exists is all we can really ask for.”

The Pack Horse Library Initiative was an initiative that was part of the New Deal project in the 1930s. It was not the first attempt to improve the number of literate residents of Kentucky, the first one lasted one year in 1913. A later attempt followed as the 1920s were approaching and lasted slightly longer than the first initiative. This story covers the initiative of the 1930s. While the people and the
Nadia
Sep 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Giver of Stars is a historical fiction novel featuring true events that took place in Kentucky in late 30s and early 40s when a group of young women got employed by a US government scheme to go into the mountains on horses and take books to families who might not otherwise get a chance to read.

I wasn't sure what to expect from this book. I did enjoy the author's Me Before You but didn't feel the need to carry on with the two follow up books. Some stories are better left alone. The G
Dem
Nov 06, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars

This is the ideal Winter Comfort Read, put the logs on the fire, or wrap up on the couch with a warm blanket and induge yourself in a little comfort reading. Having readThe Book Woman of Troublesome Creek 3.5 Stars

The Book Woman of Troublesome CreekThe Book Woman of Troublesome Creek by Kim Michele Richardson in May this year I did feel this one sort of overlapped for me and perhaps this is my reason for a 3.5 star rating. A lovely book but more fiction than history and hence my liking it as opposed to loving it.

Set in Depression era America, The Giver of Stars tells the fiction story of five strong women and their unique vocations as Packhorse librarians of Kentucky. The Pack Horse library was a works progress Administration program that operaterated between 1935 and 1943 and delivered books to households in remote ares of the Appalachian mountains. While the characters are fictionalized their Jobs were real and these ladies played an important part in the lives of the people living in remote areas.

The story is well written and the five female characters are likable and interesting. I enjoy stories set in the Appalachian Mountains and there is a nice sense of time and place in this novel. A heartbreaking insight into the hardships and struggles of the people that felt real for the most part. The story is a little predictable with romantic overtones to it and the ending was a bit contrived for me but other readers may love it.

An enjoyable, cosy and easy historical fiction read that I think many readers will enjoy and find rewarding.
Phrynne
Shelves: 5000-2019
I really enjoyed this one so thank you to a couple of Goodreads friends who likened it to The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek which made me want to read it. I love the idea of those women who set off on the backs of horses and mules to take library books to people who lived far from civilisation.

The Giver of Stars tells of a group of these women and of their lives a
Mary S. R.
Historical fiction based on a true story of horse-riding librarians who were the Great Depression’s bookmobiles?
Diverse young women, their saddlebags full of books, preparing to ride out in vast and often unfriendly terrain or reading to families who had nothing?

Books + librarians + strong diverse women + horses + mountains + hardships + incredible unexplored history + great characters = me being the victim of a very brutal robbery!

I have to be honest, I've read one two three four—FIVE books by Joio Moyes (author of Me Before You), and ha
/>/> ...more
Michelle
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My 2019 Goodreads Challenge is complete!!

Thanks to book #60 being a 5 star read!

I'd like to point out that this is one of my favorite covers of the year. It is gorgeous. Luckily, (but not suprisingly), the inside is just as good. I've only read two of Jojo Moyes' previous works: Me Before You (like most people) and The Girl You Left Behind (which was just okay for me). The premise of this is right up my alley, plus I looked forward to learning something new.

Ms. Moyes has such a gift for writing charac
Mark
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Anyone who has read a jojo moyles book knows that, in reality no reviews of a new book by her are needed as her writing is the biz 😎
I had no idea what this book was about ( just the author was enough for me to want to read and review ) and so when I read the intro was surprised to read the book is based on a group of women in Kentucky in the late 1930’s who, via horseback, start a library to help encourage people in remote areas to read, it wasn’t I thought, probably a book for me but of c
Elyse (retired from reviewing/semi hiatus) Walters
With extraordinary mountain women delivering books as a part of Eleanor Roosevelt’s new traveling library...
that alone should have kept me interested....
....so-so....fair/ not anywhere near outstanding.

The historical facts are noteworthy....
but it was a slow pony-reading-ride for me.

Esil
Oct 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ew
4 high stars

The Giver of Stars was an unexpected treat. The story is set in the 1930s in a small town in the hills of Kentucky. Eighteen year old Alice arrives from England, newly married to Bennett. Living with her husband and his tyrannical father, Alice is bored out of her mind until she becomes involved in a local library project. Alice is one of a few women who deliver books on horseback to barely literate families in the surrounding area. The story comes to focus on Alice and t
Karren  Sandercock
The Giver Of Stars by Jojo Moyes is set in Kentucky during the 1930's and Alice a new English bride finds herself living in a little town called Baileyville.

Alice Wright jumps at the chance to leave her boring life in England behind and quickly marries American Bennett Van Cleve. She assumes life as a married women will be far more interesting, she has no idea her husband lives in such a remote area and shares a house with his father.
When she arrives in Kentucky she discovers t
Book of the Month
Why I love it
by Ito Aghayere

My mother was the first to introduce me to the wonder and escape to be found in books. As a young immigrant in a new country with four kids in tow, my mom found the beginnings of a new life for us in the dog-eared pages of books, and taught us to find adventure and intrigue, romance and wisdom in stories as well. These were the memories that beckoned me to the world of Jojo Moyes’s latest, The Giver of Stars.

At its heart, this novel is about all t
Pauline
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, favorites
The Giver of Stars by Jojo Moyes is a story based in the 1930s about the Horseback Librarians. Horseback Librarians did exist and this is a story of a new branch, The Baileyville Packhorse Library, Kentucky.
Five women risk long rides everyday over inhospitable terrain in all weathers to bring, books and magazines to poor people living far from town with little or no transport. People are wary of them and they have to take time to earn their trust. Other people in the township are against t
Anna Luce
★★✰✰✰ 2.5 stars

“She wasn’t really one for big groups, but she quite liked this, the jokes and the merriment, and the way that you could see actual friendships springing up around the room, like green shoots.”

The Giver of Stars is a sweeping romantic western that tells a fictionalised account of the Kentucky Pack Horse Librarians. It is very much a book-club kind of book as it is inspired by a real group of librarians who between 1935 and 1943 delivered books to some of the most remote regions in the Appalachian Moun
Jillian Doherty
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If I could give 10 stars, that still wouldn't be enough~

Incredible unexplored history meets well honed characters you become fully devoted to~
plus throughout the story Moyes weaves incredible literary passages, newspaper or journal snippets, which helps illustrate the journey the characters are living with beguiling clarity.

For fans of the unyielding frontier heroism, for readers of layered history, and incredible character growth and connection - as well as those who adore and/or
Bookphenomena (Micky)

I should know…know that when I read a Jojo Moyes book that it’s going to pack an emotional punch but with this blurb, I just didn’t see it coming. THE GIVER OF STARS had me invested quickly and feeling like a family member to the librarian sisterhood, so that when things happened, I felt devastated and scared to read on. The themes of misogyny, racism and feminism made this both emotional and empowering.

The context of reading, teaching poor and downtrodden women,
Myrna
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Jojo Moyes is one of my favorite authors and this book does not disappoint! In this novel, we follow the ups and downs of tough, fascinating and memorable women who become known as the Horseback Librarians of Kentucky. I like the way the author intertwined history with fiction. The author also did an excellent job of evoking images of small town and rural Kentucky during the depression. If you enjoyed books like Where the Crawdads Sing, Before We Were Yours, and The Great Alone, you will certainly enj ...more
Veronica ⭐️
In a remote mountain town in Kentucky blood feuds are long held and money is power. Six women attempt to bring knowledge through books to the secluded mountain homes and thus the Baileyville Packhorse librarians are formed.

This unlikely group of women soon become firm friends supporting each other through hard times. But they soon realise a woman has to play by a man’s rules or be squashed.

This is my first JoJo Moyes book and I found the story a little slow at t
Melissa Delport
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an incredible story. Ms Moyes, I give you all of the stars.
Aga Durka
Shelves: audiobooks-2019
Plagiarism scandal or not, I loved this book! Jojo Moyes gave us a perfect historical fiction novel, with all the bells and whistles. Beautifully flowing prose, likable characters (Margery O’Hare being my all-time favorite), stunning descriptions of Kentucky landscapes, and a story plot that was never dull or overwritten. This book was heartwarming, joyful, and at times heartbreaking, and I would love to see more historical fiction novels from this author.

Book of The Month: The Giver of Stars 3 26 Nov 01, 2019 05:41AM
Angela, Diane and Esil discuss 39 45 Oct 08, 2019 05:11AM
Temecula Valley B...: Sneak Peek at Jojo Moyes' Upcoming Novel 2 26 Apr 03, 2019 12:19AM
Semifinal Round

• The Girl at the Window
  • The Wives
  • 10 Blind Dates
  • The Sisters of Summit Avenue
  • The Sleepover (Detective Natalie Ward #4)
  • Secrets of the Chocolate House (Found Things #2)
  • When I Lost You: Searing police drama that will have you hooked
  • The Ten Thousand Doors of January
  • The Secrets We Kept
  • After the Flood
  • What Happens in Paradise
Jojo Moyes is a British novelist.

Moyes studied at Royal Holloway, University of London. She won a bursary financed by The Independent newspaper to study journalism at City University and subsequently worked for The Independent for 10 years. In 2001 she became a full time novelist.

Moyes' novel Foreign Fruit won the Romantic Novelists' Association (RNA) Romantic Novel of the Year in 2004.

Sh
“She just wasn’t sure she had yet been to the place she was homesick for.” 4 likes
“You know the worst thing about a man hitting you?” Margery said finally. “Ain’t the hurt. It’s that in that instant you realize the truth of what it is to be a woman. That it doesn’t matter how smart you are, how much better at arguing, how much better than them period. It’s when you realize they can always shut you up with a fist. Just like that.” She mulled over it for a Monet, then straightened up , and flashed Alice a tight smile. “Course, you know that only happens till you learn to hit back harder.” 3 likes