Start by marking “Dread Pirate Arcanist (Frith Chronicles, #2)” as Want to Read:
Dread Pirate Arcanist (Frith Chronicles, #2)

Dread Pirate Arcanist

(Frith Chronicles #2)

Continue the Frith Chronicles with the second book, Dread Pirate Arcanist!

While protecting the newborn griffins on the Isle of Landin, Volke Savan and his adopted sister, Illia, run afoul of the Dread Pirate Calisto, the same cutthroat who carved out Illia’s right eye. As a master manticore arcanist, Calisto’s strength and brutality are unrivaled, so when Illia suggests they bri

Kindle Edition
Published September 17th 2019 by Capital Station Books

To ask other readers questions about Dread Pirate Arcanist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dread Pirate Arcanist

Start your review of Dread Pirate Arcanist (Frith Chronicles, #2)
A.D.
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Missing cubs, plague ridden griffins, and psycho pirates …

What could go wrong?

When Volke and Luthair save a cub and two children from a plagued griffon, everything starts going downhill as they encounter revenge driven swashbucklers to hordes of psychos. Even if Volke is learning to manipulate the shadows, they still have to watch out for Calisto and his manticore.

Readers will have trouble putting this action packed adventure down and pray for more! Assuming t
Booksiren
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In this intuitive second installment in the Frith Chronicles, the teen arcanists must protect the mystical creatures of the Isle of Landlin from the deadly scheming of a deadly pirate leader in order to secure survival of the people of the Island.

It is been a year since Volke Savan, Illia and other teens started their training under the guidance of Master Arcanists Zelfree. While protecting the newborn griffins on the Isle of Landin, the teens come across the Dread Pirate Calisto, the pirate wh
Tejas
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great addition

This book just turned the first book into a great series. A great new fantasy book for all fans of the genre.
Margaret Adelle
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was given an ARC of this book by the author in return for an honest review.

This is the third book I've read of Shami Stovall's and I've found certain hallmarks in her work. There's the "softboi" male protagonist. The world-affecting conflict and a gigantically (in some cases literally) explosive endings. And this more of that swashbuckling goodness.

While the beginning of this book mirrors the first, starting off with a bonding ceremony and subsequent search for eldrin, it changes course part
Merissa (Archaeolibrarian)
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
Dread Pirate Arcanist is the second book in the Frith Chronicles, and you return to the world of Volke and Illia, plus the others who are all becoming increasingly interesting as the books go on!

It starts with Volke and Illia both wanting to see griffins up-close-and-personal. However, the arcanists are called to action when the eldest griffin male and one of his cubs both go missing. Then it appears two boys have also disappeared. Whilst teamed up with someone Volke didn't really wa
Tharsult
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jasmine
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh, my sweet babies. Where do I even begin?
I honestly don't even know if I have the words to describe how much I love this book.
Move over Harry Potter; I have a new favorite magical series to obsess and fangirl over. Seriously, I wish I could live inside this series. It's magical. It's vivid. It's fantastical. It's full of action and adventure, and there's even a bit of a romance square (not a triangle) going on too.
My husband read the book before I did, and he wanted to add hi
Brandy Mulder
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is such a good sequel! I recommend reading book one as this one picks up shortly after the first and it doesn’t really go over anything from the previous book. This book has it all. Pirates, magic, magical creatures, secrets and revenge.
Volke and the other apprentice arcanists are sent with their master to protect Griffins during a bonding ceremony. Arcanists are people who have bonded with a magical creature, similar to having a familiar as a witch or wizard in other books but a bit more
Cheryl
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book continues with Volke Savan and his adopted sister, Illia. This book really should be read in chronological order. Readers reading this book without having read the first may get lost. Also, the first book is just as good as this book, so it should not be missed.

Volke and Illia are not as afraid and take more of leader roles. My favorite is Illia. It is great to see strong female lead characters in books. Although, it was very nice to see everyone again. I felt like I learned more abou
Andrew
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good series so far!

I really enjoy this series. Comes along sat a good pace, good character development, and good fight scenes. The magic system is interesting and doesn’t seem overpowered or helpless for the protagonists, and there’s still a good bit left to learn about it. Interested to see where the protagonists go from here and how Volke resolves the triangle he finds himself in.
Nancy (The Avid Reader)
Volke and Illia are back and training to become better Arcanist with Master Zelfree. The Arcanist now has new magic to deal with and is learning to prefect it. Volke and Illia are assigned to look after baby griffins on the Isle of Landin.

When one of the baby griffins are taken a couple of little boys, brothers wants to help and take off after the baby griffins Volke and Illia chase after the boys but when they find them they have been severely injured.

During their rescue attempt th
Bruce Parrello
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A worthy sequel

Like the first book, this one has a definite story with a satisfying end, but leaves plenty of plot threads open for the future. It is distinguished from most YA fiction by the fact it eschews the adults-are-useless trope. The protagonists are real teenagers with real teenage flaws and problems, and they learn real teenage lessons. The action is slow to start, but once it takes off, the book is impossible to put down. The battles are real and exciting, with just the right combi
Ally Swanson
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is such an intriguing, inspiring, captivating, and thought-provoking read!!!

It was great catching back up with Volke, his “adopted” sister Illia, and the rest of the arcanist gang for another exciting adventure!

This book was a fun, quick, easy read that I was unable to put down! The pages just flew right by and before I knew it, I was already on the last page!

This is the third book I’ve read from the talented writer, Shami Stovall. A few months ago I
Oliver Williams
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it

It was a nice continuation of the story. The character progression of Volke throughout the book refines the traits shown in the first book.
Henriette
Sep 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
The gang has their first official assignment. They are supposed to watch over the griffin bonding ceremony on Landin. While there the male of the breeding pair and one of his cubs disappear. He was deliberately infected by the dread pirate Calisto so that one of his men could steal a cartographer's journal. Calisto also happens to be the pirate who killed Ilia's parents and cut out her eye. Blinded by revenge she sets out after him with Volke in pursuit to save her.

If you liked the first book,
Cameron
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a great story!

What I like about this series is the magical creatures, and the adventure. And this book has both. In spades. Want adventure? Pirates? Want creatures? How about pirates bonded with magical creatures that like human flesh?

That’s what this book has. It’s filled with twists and turns and lots of fun. And good character growth for our cast of characters. Everyone gets a little more filled out, and by the end feel like they are even more real than before.

Kat
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Get ready for an action-packed story filled with adventure, magical creatures, and their survival.

I would recommend reading the first book before diving into this one. You'll love the addition of the background and character development.

If you love stories with tons of unique creatures, you will love this world. Every page seems to have a new one popping up, and its was so fun to get to watch the characters interact with them.

And if you love epic pirates, t
Chris Kirkby
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Those darn kids

It’s hard to remember at times during this story that the characters are still coming of age while sailing the seven seas in search of pirates and treasure, but darn won’t those kids just kiss already! A great read and I look forward to the next adventure
Nay Denise
Oct 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Received a copy from the author for review.

Solid 4.5 star rating!!! This was just as action packed as the first book. If you thought Ruma was something, wait until you read about the pirate Calisto. He was just as crazy and insane as Ruma was. The world building as usual was pretty good that I felt engrossed in it. The writing always pulls me easily and the entire Frith Guild makes me laugh. They are such a phenomenal guild with such phenomenal people and values.

Volke (knightmare arcanist) and Luthair(knightmare
Erik Sapp
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The same problems I had with the first book turn up here. The MC still acts like an immature child, though he does seem to be growing up a little. His unwillingness to work on his magic is still an issue, but again, he is getting better about that.

The major issue are the secondary characters. This time, they are acting like whiny children and drag the MC along. So much could be resolved if the MC (or other secondary characters) would actually ask for help. (You can argue that doing that would m
Jessy Spence
Oct 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Has promise

The story has the promise of a 4-star, but the execution of a 2-star.

This is kind of like an anime where each episode is resolved without any overarching plot. The author more or less prioritizes the characters individual relationships over building the world or magic system.

In a lot of ways it reminds me of Robin Hobb, great ideas but focuses more on the main characters feelings than the ideas that made the reader interested in he series.

Would only recommend if you’re in between
E.
Nov 05, 2019 added it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
Fun story. Review to follow.
Sally D
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!

Don't usually read a lot of fantasy but I read the first one and wanted to see what happened. Also I am a friend of Gail Stovall. Great writing!
Sunsfan22
Sep 19, 2019
Stephen Jacox
Sep 21, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »

• A Traitor in Skyhold (Mage Errant #3)
  • Heart's Darkness: Book V of 'The Magician's Brother' Series
  • Azyl Academy (Elemental Gatherers, #1)
  • Swing Shift: Book 2
  • Towers of Heaven (Towers of Heaven, #2)
  • Uncrowned (Cradle, #7)
  • Jewel of the Endless Erg (Mage Errant #2)
  • Hollow Core (School of Swords and Serpents Book 1)
  • Secrets and Spellcraft (Art of the Adept, #2)
  • The Choice of Magic (Art of the Adept, #1)
  • Shadowborn's Terror: Book IV of 'The Magician's Brother' Series
  • Into the Labyrinth (Mage Errant #1)
  • Power (Buryoku Book 1)
  • Metamorphosis (Greyblood, #2)
  • Rampage (Land of the Elementals Book 1)
  • The Magician's Brother
  • Eclipse Core (School of Swords and Serpents Book 2)
  • Shadow Sun Rebellion (Shadow Sun, #3)
Shami Stovall relies on her BA in History and Juris Doctorate to make her living as an author and history professor in the central valley of California. She writes in a wide range of fiction, from crime thrills to fantasy to science-fiction. Stovall loves reading, playing video games, entertaining others with stories, and writing about herself in the third person.

Frith Chronicles (3 books)
  • Knightmare Arcanist (Frith Chronicles, #1)
  • Coliseum Arcanist (Frith Chronicles, #3)