Start by marking “The Other You” as Want to Read:
The Other You

The Other You

You are waiting for your husband to join you on holiday. But when he arrives, you know it's not him...

This clever, twisty psychological thriller explores identity and pretence, paranoia and the disturbing notion that we are all, at some level, impostors.
Kindle Edition
Published January 9th 2020 by Head of Zeus

To ask other readers questions about The Other You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Other You

Start your review of The Other You
Kylie D
Well, that was one hell of a ride! Kate was a super recogniser working with the police, meaning she never forgot a face, picking criminals out of CCTV footage, until one night she had a car accident and suffered a brain injury. In the months since she has been working with a psychiatrist to try to get her former recognition skills back. Her new man Rob, who she met in the hospital while she was recuperating, has been nothing but supportive and loving. Plus he's rich to boot! Then one day, when ...more
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: 'We've all got a double out there somewhere, watching, waiting. Shadowless.' He looks around the cove, up at the clifftop behind them. The man with the binoculars has gone. 'And I've already met mine, a long time ago.'

'When?' she asks. He doesn't answer.

'They say it's bad enough to see your double once, but it's meant to be much worse if you meet them a second time.' He pauses. 'The day I see him again will be my last. He'll take over my life, me, you, the house, my company, all that
Bex (Beckie Bookworm)
49421804._SX318_SY475_-2.jpg

This was such a different and intriguing read that managed to grip me and capture my attention from the very start.
A psychological thriller and a good one at that.
Not only did it keep me guessing it also felt so fresh and had such a unique storyline running throughout.
Kate a former super-recogniser once employed by the police to identify criminals is left with a brain injury after a recent car accident.
Her new boyfriend Rob is everything she could ever want successful, attentive, loving and
Victoria Weston
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is the first that I've read by this author and I wasn't disappointed and neither will you be.
From the beginning, from the very first page this story, this book pulled me in like a magnet and I couldn't put it down. This book is a real page turner.
This book is told from three points of view which I always like, I seem to prefer this way.
I loved the characters especially Kate and how the author describes everything.
Kate was a confident, high flying woman who led an exciting life. She
Ludwig
Dec 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Soon after an accident provoked super-recogniser Kate’s brain injury, she meets Rob, who owns a successful tech company. Kate feels safe with Rob, until one day she looks at him and is convinced...Rob is not who he says he is.

This was a fast-paced, action-packed domestic thriller that delves into the technical realm in order to create an element of suspense - claustrophobic at times - that grips and fascinates!

***Thank you to Netgalley and Head of Zeus for providing with a copy of this book in
Shalini
Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Author J. S. Monroe has done it again, combined science and technology using other part of the brain as the focus.

Kate was a super recognizer, she could never forget a face and identify a partial one or just a smudge of a face. She was the human face detector. Post her accident, she lost this capacity and life resumed as normal as she could manage with a new man Rob in a house which was managed electronically. Until one day, she felt the man with her was not Rob. Was it really a doppelganger?

My
Miriam Smith
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: readers-first
J.S. Monroe has previously written two psychological thrillers before “The Other You” which I haven’t read but after thoroughly enjoying this latest gripping thriller, I will definitely be looking to read his earlier books.
“The Other You” focuses on the main protagonist Kate, a Police ‘super recogniser’ who after suffering brain trauma following a suspicious serious car accident, can barely recognise herself in a mirror. When she starts believing her new successful techpreneur boyfriend Rob isn’
K B
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
First Impression. Based on the extract offered by ReadersFirst in order to enter the draw. I adore the idea of doppelgangers, and this books plays right on it. I love the concept that meeting one’s own look-alike breeds misery, an old myth that I hardly see play out. This book looks equally fascinating and psychologically terrifying, after all as humans we all fear our own capabilities and this is a physical manifestation of it!

Synopsis. When Kate, a ‘super-recogniser’ who worked with the
Miriam Smith
Sharon
Kate has a unique ability to recognise people, so much so that she works for the police helping to recognise criminals amongst crowds of thousands of people. That is until one day she has an accident which leaves her with a brain injury which means that not only has she lost this ability, but she can barely recognise herself. Recuperating with her boyfriend, Rob in his luxurious house on the Cornish coast, one day she looks at Rob and is convinced he has been replaced by an imposter. Is she ...more
Rachel Hall
Dec 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Impressive in scope, an original plot and a lightning fast pace in a thriller with so much to hold attention!

The Other You is the first of J.S. Monroe’s novels that I have read and throws everything but the kitchen sink into a original plot with an impressive scope. Surprisingly it works and makes for a hugely engaging thriller with more than enough substance to keep the reader fully occupied, despite an inauspicious start and protagonist Kate’s new boyfriend coming out with a bizarre speech
Karen Cole
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
When I read the blurb for The Other You it gave me chills and I knew instantly that this was a book I wanted to read. There is something really quite frightening about the idea of questioning the identity of a loved one - especially if you're not even sure whether you can trust your own suspicions. This is the position Kate finds herself in as she tries to figure out whether her unusual talent for facial recognition is returning - meaning she is correct about her boyfriend not being who he ...more
Susan Hampson
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was a stunning read, totally gripping, unpredictable and very original and although it is just the beginning of the year it will take a lot of beating.
It is six months since Kate had a horrific car accident which had taken away her unusual gift of being one of the top facial recognition people in the world. With help from Rob, a self-made millionaire, that she met while she was in the hospital and now lives with, it is showing signs of returning. Kate had worked with the police on high
my bookworm life
Jan 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Review coming soon.
Bridget
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a fabulous read this was! I have read J. S. Monroe's Forget About Me but this book, The Other You, has to be my favourite to date.

Kate was a super recogniser, working alongside the police, particularly DI Silas Hart from Swindon CID, and helping to apprehend criminals with her unique talent for recognising faces. After a terrible car accident almost killed her, Kate ended her relationship with her partner Jake and also left her job as she had lost her recognition abilities.

Just after her
Georgina
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
'We've all got a double out there somewhere, watching, waiting. Shadowless. And I've already met mine, a long time ago... They say it's bad enough to see your double once, but it's meant to be much worse if you meet them a second time.. The day I see him again will be my last. He'll take over my life... He'll steal my soul.'

Kate's job used to be identifying people. Classed as a super recogniser, she workedfor the police, identifying criminals on the basis of a split second glimpse. But 6 months
Maria
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Do you know if you have a double in some part of the world? And that if you meet them twice they will steal your life?
This is the only thing you have to know before reading this book, nothing more, nothing less! It will blow your mind with all the twists and turns during the story, and I can’t stop to recommend it!
What would you think if you wake up one day and you can’t recognise your partner? Kate is recovering from a fatal car accident, she has some lacks of memory and she is not herself yet.
Linda Hill
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Kate’s seemingly idyllic life as she recuperates after a car accident might not be what it first appears.

The Other You is a dynamic and thrilling narrative that held me spellbound. I loved the gradual reveals and plot details that J. S. Monroe teases and intrigues the reader with as the story progresses because they wrong-footed me at every turn. I got to a point where I didn’t trust anyone and couldn’t wait to see how The Other You might resolve itself.

Short, snappy chapters with cliff hanger
Roxanne Butcher
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
From the outset I was intrigued to find out more about Kate and the accident that took place five months earlier leaving her unable to continue her work as a super-recogniser for the police. Since this time, Kate has been swept up in a new relationship with Rob, who she met when in hospital recovering from her accident. He has been helping her back to health and they have been living together in his high-tech, modern house by the coast in Cornwall. Rob spends the weekends with Kate, and the week ...more
V_Nerdbooks
Such a good read, I sat on the sofa and finished the whole thing in one sitting, I nearly forgot to eat!

Following Katie, a "super recogniser" who used to work for the police, we learn that she has been in a car accident, that may have damaged her ability to recognise faces like she used to.

Until one day, she looks at her husband Rob, and realises that it isn't him at all, it is an impostor, or is it? She doesn't really know, and the more she tries to work out if it is her or her brain injury,
Philomena Callan Cheekypee
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loved-it
I’ve read a previous book by this author so I was looking forward to reading this story. I’m so glad I did as it was so good.

Kate’s life changes when she has a bad car accident that leaves her with a serious brain injury. I thought Kate was a fantastic likeable character. My heart was in my mouth reading parts as I was so on her side.

This was a brilliantly written psychological thriller that had me totally gripped. Can’t wait to read more from this author in the future.
Laura Young
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
BOOK REVIEW
Thank you to @readersfirst @headofzeus @jsthrillers for my advanced copy of The Other You. This book is due to be released on 9 Jan 2020.
Ok so firstly, the TWISTS!!!! This book has left me reeling! The final pages set goosebumps up my arms. So many incredible plot manoeuvres that are utterly seemless.
The story is told from 3 POVs, chapters are short, 3/4 pages at most. It’s fast and pacy and completely captivating. I couldn’t put it down! It’s no short read, just shy of 500 pages
Erika
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to Netgalley and Head of Zeus for providing this ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Kate was a super recognizer working for the police, meaning she was in the 1% of people that have the ability to recognize faces. She was in an accident that impacted her brain and shortly after the accident, she ended up in a relationship with, Rob, a tech entrepreneur. Rob is afraid that a doppelgänger that he met some years ago will come to ruin his life. Kate starts to think that his doppelgänger has
Mary Picken
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
I wanted to read The Other You because I really enjoyed J.S. Monroe’s Forget My Name. I wasn’t disappointed. J.S. Monroe has a strong flair for capturing a distinctive crime that you won’t easily forget and then building a novel around it that has the reader questioning and second guessing the plot all the way down the line.

Kate was a highly skilled super recogniser. Working for the police and gaining high profile results when she had a car accident. Now she is recovering, but her skills at
Andrea
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, a real fast paced roller-coaster of a read! Kate was so good at recognising faces that she worked for the police as a super recogniser, picking out faces from crowds and her work led to the arrest of numerous criminals. One day Kate is involved in a road traffic accident and sustains a brain injury, her skills of recognition are gone. In the hospital Kate meets Rob who takes her to his house in the West Country to recover. Tucked away in his fabulous home with the beach on ...more
Jeanniehay64
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book will definitely blow your mind and give you a few late night reading sessions!

The main character Kate has been a police ‘super recogniser’ with a unbelievable talent of recognising and remembering faces. After she is involved in a serious car accident she is left with brain injuries which leads to her being unable to recognise even her own face in the mirror.

When her relationship with her boyfriend, Jake hits the rocks she is comforted by wealthy Rob who she falls head over heels in
daintybeth
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
‘The Other You’ has me gripped from the first extract I read.
The whole concept of doppelgängers has fascinated me for a very long time, and to see them be used in this was not only exciting but intriguing too!
I loved that the book kept switching perspectives, it definitely added to the spooky atmosphere. Especially as Kate’s view wasn’t completely reliable due to her having trouble recognising faces after an accident she had been in.
This book had so many twists and turns and I was on the edge
booksbytheboats
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Gripping and engaging right from the start, no slow introductions or too much scene setting, this book jumped straight into the plot and boy was it good!

It’s a big book, just under 500 pages but the short chapters broken up into different characters perspectives make this a quick read. This genuinely kept me guessing all the way through, I knew there were characters I didn’t trust nor like but I couldn’t work out how the link was going to form - even when other smaller links came together!

This
Shruti Ramanujam
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Other You follows the usual psychological thriller trope of a female main character whose perfectly valid concerns just aren't believed and are chalked down as paranoia. It is a fast-paced, enthralling read filled with deception, deceit, and twists.

If you love thrillers, you definitely want to check this one out!

Read the entire review on This is Lit.
Rachel Hall

• Gravity Is the Thing
  • The Man She Married
  • All the Wrong Places
  • The Dilemma
  • A Throne of Swans (A Throne of Swans, #1)
  • A Stranger on the Beach
  • Who Did You Tell?
  • Starve Acre
  • The Titanic Sisters
  • How to Play Dead
  • Mr. Nobody
  • The Stranger's Wife
  • The Mothers: Five women. Five secrets. One missing husband.
  • Three Hours
J.S.Monroe is the pseudonym of the British author Jon Stock. Jon is the author of five spy novels and a new standalone psychological thriller, Find Me, to be published in 2017 under the name of JS Monroe. He lives in Wiltshire with his wife and three children.