Start by marking “Brave Irene” as Want to Read:
Brave Irene

Brave Irene

"Brave Irene" is Irene Bobbin, the dressmaker's daughter. Her mother, Mrs. Bobbin, isn't feeling so well and can't possibly deliver the beautiful ball gown she's made for the duchess to wear that very evening. So plucky Irene volunteers to get the gown to the palace on time, in spite of the fierce snowstorm that's brewing-- quite an errand for a little girl.
But where ther
Published April 1st 1988 by Farrar Straus Giroux (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Brave Irene, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brave Irene

Roya
Aug 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourite
One of my favourite books as a kid was Brave Irene. The story is about a girl who has to deliver a dress to the duchess in the midst of a snowstorm. It's a lovely representation of a daughter's love for her mother. The first few pages always get to me even though the story isn't sad. It's one of the few books that still has me feeling the same way I did when it was first read to me.

Patricia Bejarano
Me lo leí en un ratito libro que tuve en el trabajo y me pareció supercuqui para los niños.
Es un cuento donde nuestra protagonista, Irene, decide ayudar a su madre a cumplir una ardua tarea. Y es que tiene que entregarle un vestido a una ¿duquesa? (si no recuerdo mal) y su madre ha enfermado y no puede llevárselo. ¿El problema? Está cayendo una ventisca horrible, y aún así Irene hará todo lo posible por hacerle llegar el encargo por todo lo que ha trabajado su madre en él.
Sin duda un libro idea
Eddie Watkins
Jan 21, 2011 rated it liked it
Almost experimental in its adherence to tedium, as a good 2/3rds of the book is dedicated to Irene's monotonous trek through a snowy forest to deliver her sick mom's handmade gown to the duchess in time for the ball; no supernatural intrusions, no animals, no mythic nomadic hunters, nothing, just Irene sruggling against the elements page after page; the sun goes down and the snow goes from white to grey (my daughter points at the greyly depicted nocturnal snow and calls it mud), the gown is blow ...more
Lisa Vegan
Well, hmm, this book is sort of weird. I saw it on a shelf at the library and I liked the cover illustration and so I gave it a try.

I did like the pictures. My favorite is of Irene by the fire eating and the two dogs looking at her, and most of the outdoor scenes, but all of the illustrations were ones I’d have loved as a kid, including all the details of Irene’s and her mother’s house and the palace interior and people also.

But why the heck doesn’t the duchess send her people to come get the go
Kavya Chauhan
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brave Irene By Willam Stieg
Literary essay by Kavya Chauhan

Imagine being covered in frozen snow from head to toe with only your hands sticking out! Well in the book Brave Irene by Willam Stieg, Brave Irene teaches us that always be brave, because when the storm was raging and she could barely see she still was brave enough to keep going! Another time is when she lost the dress she was brave enough to go to the dutches and tell them “I lost your dress! The last way is when she was covered in froz
Cora
Apr 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was one of the books I used for my author's study for my high comprehension students in small group. Great book and I included Shrek, Dr. Desoto and Amos and Boris for this study. Had.a lot of.fun.with it!

Update October 18, 2017: Per my second graders - I liked it because she was brave and she didn't give up. I liked it because she's cool.
Julie
Aug 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a new addition to our children's library. It's a great book about perseverance and courage. Strong female roles are represented here, both in the mother and the daughter. Would probably be a particularly good book for a single mother/daughter household. Ideal for ages 4-6.
Tytus Hurd
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
What would you do if your mom was sick and you had to bring the dress your mom made the duchess even though it was there was a blizzard outside? Because in the story Brave Irene by William Steig that’s exactly what happened. What I think this story teaches is to persevere even if times are hard. Why I think this is when Brave Irene takes her mom’s dress to the duchess even though there was blizzard outside, when she keeps walking forward even when she lost the dress her mom made and most of all ...more
Cheryl
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
No matter how we try, we can't keep our children wrapped in fluffy cotton for their entire lives. Irene is a good role model, for both boys and girls. I loved that Irene kept her spirits up by personifying the wind, talking back to it. The story is a little long and probably best for ages 6-9 or so.
Lara Lleverino
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great children’s book about doing my hard things and not giving up.
Ana LibrariAna
Brave Irene is a classic picture book about a kind and persistent girl. A perfect winter read-a-loud to read to Second and Third graders.

Irene is a dressmaker's daughter. Her mother has just finished making a beautiful gown intended for the duchess to wear at that night's ball, but is feeling too sick to deliver it. Irene volunteers to take the gown to the palace herself. Her Mom is hesitant at first, due to the size of the package, the long journey to the palace, and the fact that it started t
Dorothy Carder
Jan 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I felt this was a great tale in the fictional genre of picture books, probably geared towards upper elementary school children. It reminded me of how I like to take care of my own mom, and so as a daughter I could relate to the book and felt I may have even read it while I was growing up in school since the copyright year is 1986. I am thinking it also may be more geared towards girls considering that context as well. I felt the author depicted Irene as a very responsible and mature little girl. ...more
Amalie
Sep 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm currently experiencing a wonderful opportunity of having free access to some of the best picture books ever written.

This one is called 'Brave Irene', a little girl who truly loves her mother. This is pretty much a fairy tale. It has such good vocabulary words as well as such a nice lesson. Putting other people first and doing your best is always the best thing to do. It has a very happy ending, too.
Kandra
Jan 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
We love this wintertime tale of a little girl braving the elements to help her Mama. William Steig has a knack for tapping into something strange and adventurous as kids interact with the adult world.
Karen
Jul 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ellie, mom, jacob
Such a wonderful story of perseverance. We have read this book many times. Part of the building character books from Beautiful Feet....krb 7/24/15

Jacob read for his November Pizza Hut reading challenge. He rated this 2 stars..krb 11/1/16
June
Dec 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: winter and strong female requests
Read this to a second grade class and it went over well. It is a story I really enjoy, but a bit long for story times so this worked out well. I used to show it when we had preschool movies and it was quite popular.
Davin Thompson-williams
Jan 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Irene gets 5 stars! She took care of her sick mother, braved the storm, fought the wind and delivered the package. She was amazing and that's why she was successful!
Lizzie
Feb 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: women-girls, winter
Irene vs nature. Spoiler: Irene wins!
momma.hailey
Jul 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
While I'm not particularly fond of Steig's illustrations, the story is very special. What a beautiful example of perseverance, determination, and thoughtfulness.
Christabelle
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was fun and engaging as well. My children love stories where the hero overcomes the odds and moves into a happy ending. Sometimes challenges are just there for you to climb over them.
Aug 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I like this story because it features an ordinary girl who rises to the occasion and does what needs to be done. It was one of our Summer Reading titles, though it is not very summery.
Amy Goldberg
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Book Title: Brave Irene
Author & Illustrator: William Steig
Publisher: Square Fish / Copyright: 1986 / Genre: Fiction / Guided Reading Level: S / Lexile Measure: AD630L / DRA Level: 40 / Grades: K-2

Synopsis: Inspiring story about a young girl, named Irene, who helps her mother deliver a package. The special package is a dress Irene's mother has made for a duchess, who lives in a palace a good distance from Irene's home. When Irene's mother becomes ill, Irene offers to deliver the package on fo
Jen
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
I really don't understand the appeal of this book, honestly. It's a fine book, in much the same way that a spoon is a fine instrument--serves a purpose, but isn't remarkable in any way.

The story is about Irene, daughter of a dressmaker, ensuring her mother's hard work is delivered to a duchess (on the DAY OF THE BALL ITSELF that's just poor planning) by trekking through a snowstorm. Honestly, it was kind of boring, which really shouldn't be the case. And I can't put my finger on why it was borin
Angie
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I checked this out from the library, but my 5-year-olds refused to select it for reading time until I forced it on them three weeks later, when the book was due to be returned. I think the cover illustration didn't appeal to them. However, once I started the book, they were all in. I paused for a moment and teased them that I had decided we wouldn't read it after all, and they loudly protested that I continue. They needed to know what happened with Irene and the dress! The plot and the main char ...more
Erica
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Mortisha Cassavetes
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2018
Such a sweet book with amazing illustrations. The story follow Irene, a little girl, that wants to help her Mother, a seamstress who is creating a beautiful gown for the Duchess, but is not well enough to take the finished dress to the castle. So Irene takes on the challenge of delivering the dress in a blizzard. Irene is very brave and I highly recommend this cute little book to everyone of all ages.
Lana Jackson
Oct 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
"Brave Irene" is a beautifully illustrated story of a young girl whose courage and determination lead her to overcome a snowstorm and fierce winds to accomplish her mission, delivering the ball gown to the duchess in time for the big party.

Irene is a delightful and honorable girl with modern day characteristics.
Jess
Sep 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
September 2017 - we listened to the audio recording by Meryl Streep first, and I definitely heard her voice in my head while reading it aloud. It's both a quiet story and a story of bravery, and if he were a new author today, someone would probably want to edit down Steig's wordy storytelling, and it would a shame to lose all those perfectly chosen words.
Anthony
Mrs. Bobbins, the dressmaker, who is Irene's mother has finished the gown for the Duchess, but she is too sick to deliver it in time for the ball. Irene tucks her mother into bed, and braves a snowstorm to deliver the gown. Things don't go as well as expected, as the wind interrupts Irene's travels, but Irene is determined to get the gown to the palace.
Rosemary Sullivan
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all children, mothers and daughters, adventure story enthusiasts
Mother's Day is less than a month away and Irene Bobbin has me convinced that I need to step up my game. "Brave Irene," is how she is referred to in the title of William Steig's enduring story. She more than proves herself worthy of the attribute. I grew up in Michigan and I know that winter and its fierce, icy winds can be a formidable foe, but Irene's devotion to her mother makes her a strong-willed challenger.

Mrs. Bobbin, Irene's mother, is a dressmaker and she has just put the finishing tou
  • Thunder Cake
  • When Winter Comes
  • All the Places to Love
  • Angus Lost
  • The Raft
William Steig was born in New York City in 1907. In a family where every member was involved in the arts, it was not surprising that Steig became an artist.

He published his first children's book, Roland the Minstrel Pig, in 1968, embarking on a new and very different career.

Steig's books reflect his conviction that children want the security of a devoted family and friends. When Sylvester, Farmer