Start by marking “Brave New Girl” as Want to Read:
Brave New Girl

Brave New Girl

3.63  ·  Rating details ·  1,051 Ratings  ·  77 Reviews
A fourteen-year-old trying to find her way in the world, Doreen is as much an outcast at school as she is at home. Marginalized by her peers, misunderstood by her parents, and mourning the loss of her older brother who disappeared when she was just a child, Doreen finds solace in her fierce love of music and in her best friend, Ted.
But when her older sister begins dating
Published February 1st 2001 by MTV Books (first published January 1st 2001)

Rachel
Mar 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I read this at least six or seven times when it first came out. I was in my early teens and I remember this girl Doreen's voice being one of the first voices that really sounded like mine (and maybe a little bit like Daria Morgendorffer's, who not coincidentally was the heroine of my and my BFF's lives).

There's a part of the book that's stuck with me to this day. One of the plotlines of the story is that Doreen's popular older sister Tracy's boyfriend Matthew is a giant creeper that keeps hitti
Marcia
Mar 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People who grew up in the 90's.
I read this book because I am a huge Pixies fan, and so is the book's narrator and protagonist. I found some of the Pixies references sort of weird, since their lyrics don't make any sense really. But I loved this book--perhaps because the teens in the book seemed most like me as a teen and because the story takes place when I was a teen (the 90's). The characters here are not exactly lovable, but they are real, and they have awe-inspiring moments.
Cynthia
Jun 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book made me cry. Real tears of pain and real tears of comfort in the knowledge that I was not alone in my experience. I cannot thank the author enough for bringing together an accessible story that speaks such truth, in such a beautifully readable way. This isn't a "Judy Blume" book for the MTV generation. This story is powerful in its expression and cathartic in its execution. Read it. Women of any age can benefit from the author's insight.
After reading this book, I carry her
words with
Nicole
Mar 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
My introduction to the Pixies.
kim McRad
Mar 12, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
good, quick read if you liked perks of being a wallflower...
Jessica
Jul 27, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-lit
I didn't read this until college, but it's a really moving story - it reminds me a lot of Laurie Halse Anderson's Speak.
Rebecca McNutt
A deep and shocking view of dysfunction and chaos, Brave New Girl paints a startlingly accurate portrayal of the uncertainty of adolescence.
Eden
Sep 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-love
I don't know if I can truly express why this book hit me hard-in a good way. First of all, contrary to what other reviewers may say or think, Doreen is a very authentic character. Hell, I was just like her when I was in middle school. I cussed and cursed just like her, had only one good friend who was male and got a lot of crap for it, hated the world and the phoniness of everybody, especially girls and all the cattiness and girly crap that went along with them (I was very much a tomboy)... and ...more
Caitlin
Oct 19, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: People who love teen books or the Pixies.
This book is an old flame for me because I read it at a point in my life when I was going through similar transitions. I had nothing happen to me like the main character, but I feel a sort of peripheral kinship with the girl. But because I've read it twice, once when I was young and the second when I was older, I can truly say that it was more influential in my angst-ridden teen years. It gave me more perspective. I never wanted to be like her, and in most ways I'm not. And I think that's a grea ...more
W.patrick.bingham
Aug 09, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
If you have ever felt like you didn't belong, then this is the book for you. Existential youth, coping with life and the shitty situations you have to deal with, and existing in the young adult world is what you will find in this well written novel. I highly recommend this quick, but riveting read to everyone.
elissa
Nov 19, 2007 rated it liked it
I liked this, but I wanted to like it more than I did. And I can't remember the ending for some reason!
Stacy
Feb 20, 2008 rated it liked it
really enjoyed this one. for a younger crowd but i think its relateble
Kendra
Mar 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
i like this book because it is chock full of pixies quotes.
the duke of wellington
Dec 14, 2007 rated it it was amazing
i was a youngster when i read this but i loved this book
Myss-Syckness
Oct 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I swapped books with a friend a few years ago,
Stephen Chbosky's The Perks of Being a Wallflower for Brave New Girl.
She told me it was really good, although I didn't exactly beleive her until I started reading.
I was absorbed into this book instantly.
I don't exactly know what it was that sucked me in, but I didn't put it down until it was done.
The end is kind of odd, and questionable, but it was a really messed up story that I would totally read again.
I gave her back the book... but The Perks of
Addie
Feb 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Addie by: Catherine
This book was recommended to me by my best friend years ago when we were still in high school. We were still basking in the glow of reading The Perks of Being a Wallflower, so finding incredible books was high on our to do list. She read Brave New Girl, loved it, and let me borrow it. I loved it so much I never gave it back. The style, tone, characters, feelings, settings, twists, thoughts, everything...I related to Doreen on so many levels, and as a teenager that is a powerful feeling. My favor ...more
Kristen
Jan 25, 2010 rated it liked it
The first book i read without a teacher telling me i had to. I related to the main charicter because i was around the same age s her and going through an awkward stage in my life. It also got me interested in one of my favorite bands The Pixies. If i never got this book i would still be deprived of their awsome rockingness.
Natalie Pietro
Mar 04, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: teen, own
I read this back in high school and it kinda fit with what I was going thought. Being a girl who had to switch high school half way thought I felt like an outcast with only 1 friend and parents that didnt understand. This book is kinda the same ways only she didnt switch schools. Its a coming of age book for any young teens.
Bonnie
Feb 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
What a great read. Just what I needed to get away from all the serious, political stuff! lol! It's a fast read and I felt very nostalgic of my teen years. The language and perception is so accurate and it's loaded with emotion. A real gem.
David
Mar 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
This was a re-read for me... It's like being inside the brain/internal monologue of a jilted 14 year old girl, it's very emotional and raw, plus she only listens to the Pixies, which is pretty cool...
Mal
Sep 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I had to read this in school and it was one of those books that I've re-read a million times....
Kim Capilitan
Jul 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
i love this book :) so freaking awesome and i love Doreen and Ted :)
Jonathan Mazer
Jul 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
If you grew up within +/- 5 years of me anywhere near California, and you don't read this novel, you're stupid. And for the rest of you, you're not stupid, but read it anyway-- it's awesome!
Sabrina
Aug 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Love. Reminds me of when I was a teenager.
Rachel Ann Brickner
Jul 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Rachel Ann by: Justine
Shelves: novels
I remember really digging this book in high school, but I'd like to read it again to see what I think of the writing now.
Stacey
Sep 08, 2011 added it
i liked the story alot. i would so recommend this book if you think you might be interested in it. i love this book!
Alexis
Jun 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
this book is really good so far
Moureen
Nov 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A girl named Doreen who is very brave and can face all the difficulities and helps her parents in tought times and always been there for everyone and everyone has been besides her

"wish everyone was like her "
Nathan Robinson
Oct 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
Brave New Girl is a gritty, raw punch in the guts. It runs the gamut of “objectionable elements,” from language (the f-word makes its debut in the first sentence), to drugs, to alcoholism/drunkenness, to chain smoking, to teen sex. The plot is tough, and involves the sexual violation of the 14-year-old protagonist (Doreen) by her older sister’s 21-year-old boyfriend. Other issues include the struggles and dysfunctions of family life, ostracism and bullying in high school, and struggling to answe ...more
Mahlet Kifle
Apr 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Brave New Girl by Louisa Luna is a book about a fourteen year old girl Doreen and her best friend Ted. Doreen and Ted are very close and they do everything together. Doreen has a hard time fitting in and finding herself. She will do anything to see that Ted is happy. She lives with her parents and her sister Tracy. Her sister Tracy has a boyfriend named Matthew who raped a fourteen year old girl. Doreen has faced a lot of difficult situations during her summer time before going to high school. D ...more
  • Dreamworld
  • Life in the Fat Lane
  • Fake Liar Cheat
  • Hell's Half Acre
  • Downers Grove
  • Floating
  • Be My Enemy  (Jack Parlabane, #4)
  • Dogrun
  • God Is Dead
  • earthgirl
  • Nobody Move
  • Dora: A Headcase
  • Nineteen Seventy Seven (Red Riding, #2)
Louisa Luna is the author of the novels Brave New Girl, Crooked, and Serious As A Heart Attack. She was born and raised in the city of San Francisco and lives in Brooklyn with her husband and daughter.
More about Louisa Luna

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.20
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
  • Emergency Contact
    $10.99 $3.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“Everything's such an effort, even caring a little. Even being such a gigantic fuck-up wears me out. ” 24 likes