Start by marking “Zapata (Border Series Book 1)” as Want to Read:
Zapata (Border Series Book 1)

Zapata

(Border #1)

When engineer Avery McAndrews is offered a last-minute assignment to the rough and tumble border town of Zapata, Texas, she doesn’t think twice. Used to pushing past stereotypes, she’s sure this project will earn the long-awaited promotion.

Instead, she’s thrown in the crossfire between warring drug cartels and soon discovers that her captor, Javier Ramos, is more than
Published August 21st 2019 by Soul Mate Publishing, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Zapata, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zapata

Start your review of Zapata (Border Series Book 1)
DJ Sakata
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Favorite Quotes:

Gaudy was the second thing that came to mind. First was no way. No way was she spending a night in this room. Her skin itched just looking at it. She shot Alejandro a dirty look in the mirror headboard designed to resemble a Mayan temple. The base of the temple was a collection of greasy imprints from the heads of previous guests. The mattress slumped woefully in the middle. Any more sag and the thing could be mistaken for a canoe.

… she’d been rejected. She hated it. Rejection
348 pages, Kindle
Contemporary Thriller Romance
ARC-author
4.5

The cover is definitely eye-catching. No one will miss it on the shelf at the bookstore. However, it is my least favorite part of the book. The colors are just too blinding and the picture does nothing for me as far as attracting me to read the book. I keep hoping they’ll change it before publishing it. That’s half a star! But that was the only thing I didn't like about it!
Romance Schmomance (Malia)
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ohhhhh, what a readZapataturned out to be and I found it to be rather enjoyable. It wasn't as suspenseful as I thought it would be, but it definitely had it's moment scattered throughout the book.

I'd say that this is definitely a slow-burn that puts you on a thrilling ride as these two try to avoid the crazy psychopathic drug lord that is Javier Ramos.

I have to say that Avery was very much that girl in a thriller movie that does everything you're not supposed to do. And that had me constantly
Alton Kim
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jeep scene was perfect.
Heather
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-tour
Romantic suspense is my favorite genre at the moment, and when it features a smart, brave, and successful woman in a STEM field in the leading role, I'm all in. Avery is an engineer in the oil business, and she's calledin at the last minute to work along the US-Mexico border. She's used to having to be confident and in control, always proving herself in thismale-dominated field, but she finds some things that shouldn't be attached to their storage tanks--along with some oil production numbers ...more
Jessica Higgins
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Exciting, suspenseful, and a proponent of STEM in the female lead role.

Avery McAndrews has never been the stereotypical female. She chose engineering as her career field and then took a job in the oilfield. While out on assignment in the Texas border town of Zapata, she begins to expect trouble will find her on her ride out to the production station. As she surveys the tanks and piping, she finds a crude installation of a “security valve” that is not in the plans and schematics. As she is
Sharon
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The reader will hit the ground running with this fast-paced suspense thriller. When a feisty female mechanical engineer vying for a promotion is sent down to the "godforsaken border town" of Zapata, Texas, she mouths off to a crazy and dangerous drug lord who kidnaps her and makes her life a living hell.

Avery's life is in serious danger by the Ramos family cartel and the only man who can save her is the mysterious Alejandro DeLeon, Javier's Ramos' right-hand man. The growing attraction between
Jessica
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Zapata was quite an entertaining read! The romance mixed with thriller was completely captivating!

Avery is an engineer who was just sent to a town in Texas, Zapata. Being a female in a male dominated workplace, Avery is used to the stereotypes of the day to day things and is sure that this new job is going to get her the promotion she knows she deserves. But things go south quickly once arriving in Zapata. She learns that the drug cartels in the area are in a war and she is now directly in the
Living My Best Book Life
Zapata is a thrilling and raw romantic suspense that keeps you on your toes and stuns with a realistic depiction of the Mexican cartel. I am amazed that this is Harper McDavid's debut novel because it was written so well. I loved her brutally honest writing, character development, and pace.

Zapata centers around Avery who is an engineer. She is given an assignment in Zapata which is known for its violence and drug cartels. Avery puts this knowledge in the back burner trying to only focus on
Kat Caulberg
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Zapata was a great, fresh new read for me. I really enjoyed the chemistry and the struggles between Alejandro and Avery.

Avery's a very well-written, strong character, and Alejandro is an extremely complicated, fantastic foil to her.

McDavid manages to delve deep into the darkest, grittiest parts of the drug cartels and violence that happens across the border without losing the thread of the romance. For me, it was an extremely interesting peek into a world I would not otherwise be interested
Charlotte Johnson
I received an ARC copy of this book and was so happy to find that it exceeded my expectations. Zapata is a thrill from beginning to end. With interesting characters, engaging dialogue and challenging topics, Zapata is a new approach to the romance genre. It confronts harsh realities of life among a Mexican drug cartel and explores the empowerment of a woman in a male dominated society. It is truly a joy to read.
Sara Strand
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall this was really good. I liked the realistic feel to this, a heroine that doesn't make ridiculously stupid choices, and a bad-boy-turned-good-kind-of trope, which we aren't getting enough of. I think this author did a really good job at making you feel like you're in the scene with them, gives us the grit of a drug cartel story, and a good romance at the same time.
Stella
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Zapata is such a great mix of suspense and romance. It's a page-turner from the very beginning, and I fell in love with the characters right away. I also love that there's a strong, smart female lead - it's a refreshing change from a lot of other suspense books. Highly recommend for a fast-paced, entertaining read!
Liesje Johnson
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book. Perfect combination of romantic suspense in an interesting nod to current events. A real page turner. Loved the characters from beginning to end. Looking forward to reading more from this author.
Emily
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book! A love story with the backbone of a fast paced thriller. Looking forward to the sequel.
C bond
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
New to me author, really can't believe this is a debut. Loved this book .
Proud Book Reviews
The first thing I want to say is, when you get to about the 70% mark put on a full-on action movie like John Wick 3. Why do you ask? Well, I spent some time on the couch reading a good portion of the last third of the book while my partner watched John Wick 3 and the fight scenes perfectly matched the intensity of what I was reading.

To give you an idea, this is the This is War of books. This is the type of book I can see made into a movie and becoming a date night favourite. It has enough
Rebecca Gannon
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love and cartels = YES!

This book kept me on my toes and kept me engaged. The bond forged between Alejandro and Avery while they ran from the cartel made me turn the pages faster and faster to see how everything would unravel. I loved Avery's strength throughout the entire book - even in the worst of situations, she remained strong and forged on. And who doesn't love a sexy suave man who does any and everything to keep his woman safe?? I know I do! He was her savior and protector when she needed
Jane Haskins
Debra Branigan
Debbie P
Ann Fantom
Nov 12, 2019

• The Painted Castle (Lost Castle #3)
  • The Cost of Honor (Black Ops Confidential, #3)
  • Anyone But Cade (Anyone But... #2)
  • Lake Season (Bluebell Inn Romance #1)
  • Nothing to Fear (Final Hour #2)
  • Naughty or Nice
  • Stealing Her (Covet, #1)
  • Magic Under the Mistletoe
  • Single All The Way
  • A Christmas Kiss (Life on the Moors Book 4)
  • The Price of Grace (Black Ops Confidential, #2)
  • Intimate Strangers (Lisa Millar #1)
  • Chasing the Bright Side: Embrace Optimism, Activate Your Purpose, and Write Your Own Story
  • Emergency Skin
  • Dirty Letters
  • Children of Fire
  • The Beast of Beswick (Everleigh Sisters, #1)
  • Ark
As a child Harper traveled the world with her family, growing up in Virginia, Chennai, India, Singapore, and eventually finishing high school in the Chicago suburbs. Harper received degrees from Baylor University and Texas A&M University in geology and hydrogeology.

Zapata, is Harper's debut novel. The romantic suspense was inspired by a project she had on the border, where the cartels let