Start by marking “Tech Mage (Technomancer, #1)” as Want to Read:
Tech Mage (Technomancer, #1)

Tech Mage

(Technomancer #1)

Scott Akin is a new kind of mage, perhaps the first and only of his kind. Weak in comparison to other mages, but he has a special way with technology. But what good was rebuilding a car with magic, or hacking a computer, when an elemental mage threatens him with death?

At least he was weak, until the government recruits him to advance their understanding of alien
Published October 15th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Tech Mage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tech Mage

Start your review of Tech Mage (Technomancer, #1)
Steven Naylor
Dec 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Rating 3.5 stars

This is a hard book for me to describe. It was both simple and complex at the same time. It was at the same time about the supernatural (though not really) and space battles. There was an epic space battle at the end of the book, but the battle was also kind of boring.

The story follows Scott Akin. He is a tech mage, the only one of his kind that anyone knows about. He was forced to do some shady stuff to protect his sister when the government steps in. He is given a choice of
Michiel
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this alot.

It was very fast-paced, I did feel like the characters should have been fleshed out more, hopefully, there will be a next book where that can be done. But over all it was good.
Tony Hisgett
Dec 19, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a fun story with an interesting idea that works as long as you don’t look too closely at Scott’s magic, the power of which was just ridiculous, especially as he didn’t have to understand what he was doing, he just seemed to imagine the outcome and it happens.
Towards the end of the book is a big space battle, unfortunately there were no interesting tactics it just dissolves into a number counting exercise.
Overall it’s not a bad SciFi story as long as you don’t take it too serious, if
John
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Awesome new space series

Not a new plot but still fun. This is the basic find power and save earth from aliens thing but I love it. New twist with the techno magic. Seems that military big wigs don't like someone else having power they can't control. Nothing New there. I look forward to more from this series and see much potential.... Big universe.
Soima Traian
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very good

An excellent space opera type book with a bit of a magic element, great action, build up, interesting twists , planning and a pretty realistic seeming view of the way the government would react if they gained the technological advantage of a alien ship. Also an interesting perspective of what an alien civilization might be like. (Not necessarily realistic but interesting non the less)
Gordon Clason
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Space Opera Morality Play

This book was an enjoyable read. The author's distrust of bureaucracy shines through which makes this science fiction fantasy more realistic than all the police/military glorification books being published today. The protagonist manages to save earth from aliens only to then be forced to save it from bureaucracy.
William Howe
Oct 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Interesting but weak

I liked it, but I can see the flaws.

There was a lack of dramatic tension. Not necessarily in the plot, but in the writing. Everything was a bit matter of fact; nothing read like peril or action. I remember a trad pub author saying that shorter sentences make action sequences more active, so I think it may be a mechanics of writing issue.

A few copy editing or proofreading issues that could use some attention.

I will buy the next book, because I think the ideas are interesting,
Bob C.
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you're into futuristic high tech, magic and aliens, then you will love this book!

D.L. Harrison delivers a thrilling roller coaster ride of a story! Scott Akin is an anomaly in a high tech world that also includes magic. Why? Because his magic is all about technology. And, he's the only one in the world with his kind of magic. Scott can understand any kind of technology, using his magic. And, even better, he can duplicate it with his magic!
Scott is "made an offer that he cannot refuse" by the
Patrick
Jan 03, 2020 rated it did not like it
Not sure where the series is going

I wasn't sure about where this story was going. I expected an urban fantasy or maybe a magic in space and it sort of seemed like both. The MC taking decisive action finally was good and I could handle the dark side his interaction with the U.S. Agencies. The character keeps apologizing for trying to survive and repeating his he loves his country.

The book is all exposition passing for internal dialogue. The dialogue between characters doesn't move the story, it
Josephine
Dec 06, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
DNF'd at 6.4% (page 20/312)

The writing is not good. It has a weird clinical feel that reads like a mix between a character's retelling and regular first person narration. The descriptions of magic use were vague and glossed over exactly how the magic was being cast, which is important for story continuity. You can't just go from some guy standing nearby to the main character impaled on spikes without giving the reader some idea of the guy's movements or intentions leading up to the spikes.

All in
Edwin
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Short but good first sci-fi book

This was a very good first book for this series.
Liked the small cast and the plot, while simple, it was still good to read.

While a short book, I at least enjoyed it and able to read it quickly.
Thought kinda wish Scott used his powers more aggressively against the government that has threatened him more than once.

Will definitely read the next book.
Johnny
Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Book one

Mistakes: I found three. Five was misspelled, so was moon, also Apache helicopters seat two not four.
Plot: Magic and the supernatural are real. Magic is used to unlock technology for human kind to reach the stars. They found our neighborhood is full of apex predator civilizations.
Characters: I enjoyed the characters, but feel like the sister could be fleshed out more.
8/10
A D Smith
Dec 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyable work

I like reading this story and it's premise of the evil that something rear it's ugly head in side covert operations. I have experienced this first hand and the author erred one the side of moderation. Over all the characterization is great and well developed. If you enjoy fictionalized stories you should grab this one. Add this book t ok your library collection and look forward to more from the author.
L.p. l p
KEVIN G
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good read and story line

One word... refreshing. I love technology books that keep to the story and doesn’t bog the reader down in useless details describing the environment to the point of losing focus. The author does a great job of balancing story, character and weaving in technology growth. Looking forward to the next book.
Justin Roy
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great start to a new series

Great start to a new series. Love how the book merges fantasy and scifi in a believable way, and opens up the world for many stories and allows anything to happen. Looking forward to the next book in the series!
Fred A. Bush
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Powerful and Entertaining! Fun and exciting.

Really thoughtful and self confident. Fair play and independent thought. Great read in Science Fiction and Fantasy! Can't wait for next in series.

Jim Duncan
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good story!

Writing on the small tablet is not fun. This was a good story, a love interest, really nice technology, interesting heroes. I'm concerned about the meme that our government is so dumb that they act this way.
Noah Merle
Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fun read

I really respect how this MC doesn't get all hung up on being a moral paragon, and instead goes for pragmatic philanthrop. "I'm going to save the world so just stay out of my way" kind of guy
Stephen
Dec 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really good

I just finished this book and it was hard to put down. Well written and entertaining, while not the most complex story or plots it was very enjoyable. I recommend this one to anyone who loves magic and technology working together. Will definitely pick up book 2.
Steven Whitfield
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good Space Opera

In the vein on Doc Smith space opera, the mc skip jumps earth to the top of the inter galactic tech tree which is a good thing sense ever other race are predators...
John O'Sullivan
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
More please!

First off I really enjoy all of D. L. Harrison's books this one just seemed to fly by and the ending came much too soon. Amazing amount of scope for the follow up books also and I will wait with anticipation for the next books.
Courtney Walker
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked it

Funny. A little dark humor. And a guy with tech power. Right on. I liked it and if there is more I will definitely be reading it. I would suggest going back over the book for missed words but other than that there were no real problems.
Thomas James
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Genius

For a problem making the science in your sci-fi novel work? Slip in MAGIC. No problems from then on. In fairness, Harrison does it well and it's a fun story.
John Ford
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good

A good start to the new series, I am looking forward to see what happens in the next upcoming book.
Rob Bartlett
Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good sci-fi story

I enjoyed the alien technology and the interaction of the characters. Looking forward to the next book in the series.
gordon musgrave
Nov 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Ok book

Story was good but the writer went overboard on a lot off stuff that really did not matter at all!!
Jason Harstad
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good book.

I really enjoyed this book and cannot wait to read the next book in the series. This was a very fun read!
Karen Caldwell
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great read.

I love space books. This one is just what I like. I can't wait for the next one. Magic and space was great.
Linda U. Dickens
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Different

Haven't read one quite like this before. Bit expensive for the length. Anyway I liked the characters and world. Looking forward to the next book.
Kate
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow! Great premise and exciting story!

Love the mc and his talent. And the other characters. This is going to be a great series! Looking forward to more! On to the next one!

• Delphi Station (Delphi in Space #3)
  • Delphi City (Delphi in Space #2)
  • Starship Sakira (Delphi in Space #1)
  • Delphi Nation (Delphi in Space #4)
  • Hood (Hyllis Family, #7)
  • Light Online Book One: Farmer
  • Legend of the Arch Magus: Valor
  • Shady Oaks (Bob and Nikki, #3)
  • Chaos Rising (Elemental Gatherers, #2)
  • Whammo Ranch (Bob and Nikki, #2)
  • Stone Undercover (Stone #3)
  • A Pause in Space-Time (A Stasis Story #1) (The Stasis Stories)
  • Starfoot (Bob and Nikki, #4)
  • Charlie's Planet (Bob and Nikki Book 5)
  • Lost in Transit (Bob and Nikki Book 6)
  • Bob's Saucer Repair (Bob and Nikki, #1)
  • Matthew and the Stone (Stone #1)
  • Silver Fox & The Western Hero: Warrior Reborn: A LitRPG/Wuxia Novel - Book 1
I've been an avid book reader since I was a teenager in the 1980's. My preferred genre's are science fiction and fantasy.

I wrote some short stories and was encouraged to try writing and self publishing by some friends. I work in computers and writing is an obsessive hobby I have been trying to hone for a couple of years now. I'll let you judge if I have succeeded or not.

Technomancer (3 books)
  • Astraeus Station (Technomancer, #2)
  • The Grays (Technomancer, #3)