Start by marking “The Fearing: Water and Wind (The Fearing #2)” as Want to Read:
The Fearing: Water and Wind (The Fearing #2)

The Fearing: Water and Wind

(The Fearing #2)

John F.D. Taff's epic apocalypse of terror, The Fearing, continues in Book Two: Water & Wind when a group of battle-worn seniors pick up the pieces of their ravaged lives and grapple with survival after the end of the world. And for the first time, they begin to notice an ominous pattern in the deluge of fears now roaming the earth.

Teenagers Kyle, Sarah and Carli sift
Published August 20th 2019 by Grey Matter Press (first published August 20th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about The Fearing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fearing

Start your review of The Fearing: Water and Wind (The Fearing #2)
Sadie Hartmann Mother Horror
This review was originally posted online August 19th, 2019 for Cemetery Dance
The Fearing is an epic, apocalyptic horror story by “King of Pain” John F. D. Taff, told over the course of multiple, individual book installments published by Grey Matter Press. Book One is titled Fire & Rain, which I reviewed for Cemetery Dance in June. Here’s a quote from the review:

And this is where Taff is a damn genius. He proves time and time again that in just a few pages, in just one scene
The Grim Reader
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I blasted through part 2 of this serialised novella in double quick time. I'm still a little grumpy that the book has been split into 4 novellas, but hey, it is what it is. Anyway, John FD Taff's The Fearing is thundering along now and I'm a happy apocalyptic chappy. What is your biggest fear? And what if that fear manifested itself into real life? Pretty scary as we all have very different fears...The Fearing does exactly this and in doing so transports you into a world where anything is possib ...more
Mindi
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review to follow...
Jamie Stewart
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Holly (The Grimdragon)
"As they ran, things around them began to change. Where before there was nothing too far out of the ordinary, except for the lack of moving vehicles and people, now Mark saw all sorts of incongruous things out of the corner of his eyes. Storm damage everywhere, of course, but other things, harder to explain.

There, a stack, a pyramid of skulls, stripped of flesh, bleached white, piled near the side of the road next to a plain, rusted black mailbox.

A crowd of buzzards, huge
Michael Hicks
My review of THE FEARING: BOOK TWO - WATER AND WIND can be found at High Fever Books.

Grey Matter Press’s serialization of John F.D. Taff’s The Fearing continues with Water & Wind! Since The Fearing was originally envisioned as a single unbroken novel, reading Book One, Fire & Rain is an absolute must. Book Two picks up hot on the heels of the prior installment’s cliffhanger ending, inching the plot forward and starting to move the various players closer to their eventual destiny.
Kim Napolitano
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a gift and this review is my own.

After The Fearing book 1 I was holding my breath for book 2 and does it deliver. The book takes over where the first ended but we are introduced to a new character Rev. Mark Hubert as he faces a unusual category 5 hurricane that is swinging into Savannah. The storm sets the tone as he struggles to survive but witnesses horror in the storm winds itself! We then revisit our survivors from the first book as they too struggle to survive the apocalyptic
Aina
Shelves: arc, review-copies
I'm happy to say Book Two is as good as Book One. I'm really enjoying this apocalyptic tale and the characters really make the care about them. As they battle the elements and their fear manifesting in physical forms, they continue to find a way to survive.

This time we meet a new character in the form of Reverend Mark Hubert, battling a ferocious storm. A man whose strong faith is shaken as he views impossible things, and has to make some unthinkable choices. We follow Rich, Marcia,
Emily
Aug 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5⭐ rounded up

I think I may just not be cut out for the serial novel format. Novellas work for me because they are a complete story, but I have a hard time with reading an incomplete book, and having the story not really go anywhere. I think the concept of The Fearing as a whole is very interesting, but I was hoping for a little more action. Water & Wind is a lot of traveling, which is to be expected in a post-apocalyptic story.

There was a great creepy child scene in this book
Toni | Dark Reads
Water & Wind picks up right where fire And Rain’s cliff-hanger ending finished off. We are thrown straight into Hurricane Ezra and introduced to a new character Reverend Mark Hubert as he struggles to survive this category 5 beast, the reverend’s faith is being tested right off the bat and by the end of the first chapter I was completely invested in is character. I would say that Taff is not only the King Of Pain, but also The King Of Characterisation.

We are also introduced to an
Sam
Aug 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
**Review originally posted HERE on Sci-Fi & Scary.**

This one didn’t quite get under my skin the way book one did, but book 2 of The Fearing serialization still left me feeling pretty thoroughly spooked and uncomfortable. And that’s always a good thing in my books!

Water & Wind picks up right where Fire & Rain left off. We’ve got the same cast of characters, plus a couple of new additions in the form of Mark and Monday. I won’t touch too much on the plot given that this is boo
Michael
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just finished. I’m emotional. I have no doubt that what I just read was equal in excellence to Book One, but....damn. Lol. Damn damn damn. I need to go read Peppa Pig to my daughter and find my smile...and then go do some digging and figure out when Book Three will be released.
Marie McWilliams
Matt
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Damnit I need book three right now after finishing this! Taff has created a masterpiece here and is a mad genius in splitting it up into four books. I'm loving this concept of a serial novel, giving us the exact opposite of our binge culture. Now we have to wait and savour the story we have so far.

Taff has taken what we know in the first book and given us the day after (in a sense). Our characters are starting to grasp that the events we've seen so far is much bigger than what they thought. The
Jaime
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was given this free review copy audiobook at my request and have voluntarily left this review.

After listening to book one of the series "fire and rain" I was so excited to get the chance to listen to book two! This was an excellent continuation of the story.

We follow our characters on this terrifying ride of survival, all the while trying to figure out what even happened in the place. I am enjoying these books! The ideas are wonderfully different. Is it appcolypic? Is it the rapture? No on
Scott Kemper
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review to be posted on Signal Horizon.
Armand Rosamilia
Wow. The first installment of this story now seems like a teaser with all the great action and character development in this part. It's a great read and the author does another amazing job in getting you to read to the end and immediately want the next part of this story, which is exactly where I'm headed.
Adam House
Sep 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really loving this story so far and where it is heading. Its hard to judge a story properly while only on it's second quarter, but, as usual, Taff hits all the right notes and left me hungry for more fear. Bring on Book Three!
Alexander Pyles
Aug 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*review pending*
D.K. Hundt
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Seriously Taff… Seriously! 😑 Nooooooooooo!!!! 😭
THE FEARING BOOK TWO: WATER & WIND – Highly Recommend!
David
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book two is a great installment in the series as we learn more about what is going on!
Mommacat
Review Copy

Characters that you can see, feel and understand. Fears that you wish you didn't have. A rich painting done only with words.

This is THE FEARING: BOOK TWO, which picks up where the first leaves off. Don't even consider reading them out of order. It just won't work. This dystopian horror tale has some horrible images, one can only wonder what is yet to come.

Put in your order, I highly recommend it.
Laurel
I made it through the impossible wait to get Book 2, and snapped it up in two sittings. (It would have been one, but toddler, so...) The second installment lived up to the promise of the first - the tale is unfolding with beautiful pacing, new characters, and new elements. It's not just an endless inventory of things that scare you, it's a fully imagined story arc encompassing characters you care about. I'm excited for Book 3, and I think this works so well as a serial release. John F.D. Taff is ...more
Josh reading
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I couldn’t wait for this one for sure! John D Taff continues his serial novel about a mysterious apocalyptic event in this second volume of The Fearing. I love how Taff slowly pulls back the layers in this second volume where the nature of this end of the word event starts to become a little clearer. Fears indeed, oh and our individual fears can have such consequences for those around us. I don’t want to go into to much on that but that poor puppy, I can’t believe it! The characters from volume ...more
James Sabata
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Fearing: Water & Wind is the second book in John FD Taff's serialized novel THE FEARING. I’ll be the first to tell you that I wasn’t sure I wanted to read a novel as a serial. I’m that person my friends hate because I don’t watch TV while it’s on. I wait until the season is over and binge it. Sometimes, I wait until the entire show is over, so I can make sure it received a proper ending before I jump in. I literally hate investing in anything (entertainment wise) until I know it has a fu ...more
Brennan LaFaro
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Part two of the horror experience of the year is here, and I could not have been more excited to get my hands on it and find out what happens next. Book one was, inevitably, going to be a hard act to follow. John F.D. Taff did everything right to set up the story and give the readers astronomically high hopes for what this story could be and where it could go.
Water & Wind faced the tough task of continuing the journey of the characters that Taff endeared us to in just 100 short pages.
Becca
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to Grey Matter Press for sending me a review copy of The Fearing: Water & Wind by John F.D. Taff in exchange for an honest review!

Just a real quick comment on content warning: I’m not going to list all of the gore & all that jazz, because this is a horror book & I feel like it can be expected. However, I did want to mention that there is a scene with the KKK that can definitely be uncomfortable to readers. Also, there’s a dog death.

Y’all, just when I didn’t think it could ge/>Just
A.E.
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*** Review copy received from the publisher in exchange for an honest review ***

Taff picks up right where he left off in Part One of his epic, "The Fearing," and wastes no time creating an intense atmosphere in part two of his epic saga, which starts with the threat of a major hurricane. This time we get a new character, a reverend fighting for his life in rural Georgia, to start things off. The subplots involving the major characters have taken turns for the worse, and it’s intriguing to
John Lynch
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Please, do yourself a favor. Before starting this review, buy book one of The Fearing, by John F.D. Taff. With that out of the way. OH MY GOD. How do you top the first book in this serialized novel? Ask Taff, because 2 days ago I didn’t think it possible. I said it before and it must be said again. This is a masterclass on serial novelization. It’s an event. It’s amazing.

Book 2: Water and Wind begins immediately where Fire and Rain leaves off. It continues the journey of the main cha
Lesley Hillman
So ‘The Fearing’, book two, Water and Wind. It’s becoming very clear to me why John. F. D. Taff is such a highly regarded author. Book two is another whirlwind ride of intensity, pain and fear… and damn… that ending!!

We pick up from where book one left off, with the ‘survivors’ trying to piece together just what has happened. Charles seems to know. My question here is does he know because he is smart? Or does he know because, well he knows more than he is letting on? I am, of course,

• The Pale White
  • The Rust Maidens
  • One Star
  • 69: A Short Novel of Cosmic Horror
  • Spicy Constellation & Other Recipes
  • The Hungry Ones (The Messy Man Series Book 2)
  • In The Scrape
  • The Resurrectionists (Salem Hawley, #1)
  • The Possession of Natalie Glasgow

The Fearing (4 books)
  • The Fearing: Fire and Rain (The Fearing #1)
  • The Fearing: Air and Dust (The Fearing #3)
  • The Fearing: Earth and Ember (The Fearing #4)