Start by marking “The Time of Green Magic” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Time of Green Magic

Hilary McKay

The Time of Green Magic

From acclaimed author and Costa winner Hilary McKay comes The Time of Green Magic: a beautiful, spell-binding novel about a new families, a magical old house and a mysterious cat . . .

When Tom and Polly marry, blending their single parent families together, their children find it hard to relinquish their old lives. Max realizes his birth dad will never come home now, while
Kindle Edition
Published September 5th 2019

To ask other readers questions about The Time of Green Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Time of Green Magic

L.H. Johnson
I have such time for what Hilary McKay does, and The Time of Green Magic is a joy. Wild, rich, fantastical, and full of intense, palpable danger, it's a dream. McKay is good, so good, and the day she is given the freedom of British children's literature, the better. I am not sure if one can be given the freedom of British children's literature, but I'd like it to be a thing. There are some authors that simply deserve such a thing.

A contemporary story, set right here, right now, and yet reaching
Hannah Middleton
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Gripping & atmospheric, this is a family drama with magic skilfully woven through it. Fantastical aspects feel plausible thanks to the endearing, relatable characters & McKay's gentle touch.

An exceptional read, perfect for curling up with as the nights draw in.. This book reminded me why I love reading children's fiction so much, I really can't recommend it enough!
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a beautiful, magical story that I read quickly, gulping in its wonder. The ending made me weep but in a sort of happy way. I could gush about this story for days.
Mary Judy
Aug 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful testament to blended families, understanding and the power of stories, books and pictures, The Time of Green Magic sings. Alive with characterisation, the reader is taken on a journey through a moment in time where three children are learning the intricacies of relationship.The descriptive quality of McKay's writing vividly paints a picture and wraps the story around the reader with cosy, warm comfort...but not too much comfort. You are pulled through with suspense and fascination; m ...more
Helen
Clare Wilkins
Sep 19, 2019
Sinead
Aug 20, 2019
Hilary McKay was born in Boston, Lincolnshire and is the eldest of four girls. From a very early age she read voraciously and grew up in a household of readers. Hilary says of herself as a child "I anaesthetised myself against the big bad world with large doses of literature. The local library was as familiar to me as my own home."

After reading Botany and Zoology at St. Andrew's University Hilary