Start by marking “How to Own the Room” as Want to Read:
How to Own the Room

How to Own the Room

Most books about public speaking don’t tell you what to do when you open your mouth and nothing comes out. And they don’t tell you how to get over the anxiety about performance that most people naturally have. They don’t tell you what to do in the moments when you are made, as a woman, to feel small. They don’t tell you how to own the room. This book does. From the way ...more
Audio CD
Published May 9th 2019 by Whole Story Audio Books

To ask other readers questions about How to Own the Room, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Own the Room

Start your review of How to Own the Room
Shirley Bateman
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
What an inspiring book! A must read for any woman who wants to master the art of public speaking and conquer the dreaded nerves it entails. I loved the examples of great speeches delivered by women. They show that you don’t have to be a fabulous orator (although it helps if you’re Oprah) and you definitely don’t have to be perfect. Ok, time to channel Michelle Obama...
Linda Ilonze
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Once in awhile a self-help books (can this book be called one?) to improve various aspects of one’s life. This is a book that was bought on such a whim but it has proven to be better than anticipated.

Viv Groskop the author is also the creator of a podcast of the same title that I already listen to so suffice it to say that I was already a huge fan of her interviews and post-interview analysis and how to encourage women to effectively put their best foot forward in life.

The book follows a similar
Anna Lautenschleger
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
“How to Own the Room: Women and the Art of Brilliant Speaking” written by Viv Groskop, a public speaking coach and standup comedian, and published in November 2018 deals with the distinct challenges women (and men) face who have not been exposed enough to public speaking opportunities and at the same time are afraid to seek for them despite knowing that it is significant for their path of self-development.

Viv focuses in her book on analyzing speeches of female leaders and popular figures of
Ellen
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I saw Viv Groskop interviewing Margaret Atwood in Oxford, and (after two fairly lacklustre performances at other author interviews shortly before from other people) thought she did a fabulous job. So I was intrigued by her book, and though my Sister-in-Law would find it an interesting read. As with all books gifted, it was quality-checked before it went.

There's certainly a lot to think about. There's some points that will stay with me - happy high status, for example. I've looked up some of the
Антон Санков
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Starting the year in the best possible way - with a read book (or rather listened). This book is aimed at women, going into public speaking, dealing with nerves, preparation, etc. I decided that it does not hurt to try reading it, because although I am not a woman, I am passing through the same experience of preparing a speech, dealing with the nerves around that, etc. Overall, the book is good. The format is the following - in every chapter, the author looks at how different famous women ...more
I Read, Therefore I Blog
Dec 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Viv Groskop is a writer, stand-up comedian and presenter. In this useful book that’s aimed at women and has plenty of practical tips and advice on how to give a presentation or speech, she uses examples of successful speakers like Michelle Obama to help the reader find their own style of speaking and give themselves confidence but constantly refers to TED talks so that readers will need to do further research to understand some of her points.
Pauline Narvas
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fantastic book all about public speaking! What sets this book apart to all the other speaking books I've read before is the focus on female speakers, I am wildly inspired by them all. My favourite message from Viv is that although we should all be like these fantastic speakers, we also need to find what works for us as individuals. I highly recommend it!
Nancy García
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The best of this book are the examples. It’s all about women, well-known and others not so much successful women in real time.
It even looks like a practical book (in collaboration with YouTube) I enjoyed it all the time, it made me cry and laugh out loud. I loved it. Highly recommended.
Anjulie
Oct 25, 2019
Amalia Grobler
Jan 02, 2020

• Radical Self Love: A Guide to Loving Yourself and Living Your Dream
  • 13 Things Mentally Strong People Don't Do: Take Back Your Power, Embrace Change, Face Your Fears, and Train Your Brain for Happiness and Success
  • An Edited Life: Simple Steps to Streamlining Your Life, at Work and at Home
  • The Confession
  • AI Superpowers: China, Silicon Valley, and the New World Order
  • Pelon hinta
  • Twas the Nightshift Before Christmas
  • The Body: A Guide for Occupants
  • The Courage to Be Disliked: How to Free Yourself, Change your Life and Achieve Real Happiness
  • Make Yourself a Little Bit Famous: How to power up your profile and get known for what you do
  • The Last
  • Such a Fun Age
  • Hold Your Own
  • The Vanished Bride (Brontë Sisters Mystery #1)
  • Under the Knife: A History of Surgery in 28 Remarkable Operations
  • Stone Mothers
  • The Science of Storytelling
  • Storyteller: How to Be An Audio Book Narrator
Viv Groskop's first book I Laughed, I Cried: How One Woman Took On Stand-Up and (Almost) Ruined Her Life is a mid-life crisis memoir described as "Eat, Pray, Love set in a comedy club." Raised in Somerset, UK, and educated at Cambridge University, she worked as a journalist on the Daily Telegraph, Russian Vogue and The Guardian before taking up stand-up in her late thirties. Dubbed "the most ...more