Start by marking “Nearby” as Want to Read:
Nearby

Nearby

4.33  ·  Rating details ·  12 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
Kessinger Publishing is the place to find hundreds of thousands of rare and hard-to-find books with something of interest for everyone
Published September 12th 2007 by Kessinger Publishing (first published January 1st 1947)

To ask other readers questions about Nearby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nearby

Suzanne
Sep 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book - the author's descriptions of the change in weather and her powerful depiction of the difference love can make was inspiring!

Here's one quote (among many that I noted)on p. 53, "Assure yourself constantly that your work does count. Sometimes I can only bandage a finger when I know the whole body should be cared for, but all that I am and have goes into that one thing I am allowed to do. There's so much darkness everywhere. In some cases the work you do may seem like only a pin
Aleisa
Oct 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is an obscure book that was weeded from my tiny hometown library. The card in the front shows it was checked out once (in March, 1967). My mom picked it up for me along with some of my favorites (that had my name repeatedly on the cards) so one day I picked it up and decided to read it. I was shocked at how much I enjoyed it!
Nancy
Jan 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novels
Elizabeth Yates often wrote of stories that set pure kindness well within our view, and Nearby is one of those stories. Mary comes to teach the children of Nearby, and she does that, but she loves them more without regard to the stuff prejudice is made of. Perhaps this is an old-fashioned story, but it is warm and winsome, even so.
Jan
Apr 16, 2010 added it
This was a favorite book of mine in my youth. Now it is somewhat dated, but rereading it reminded me why I loved it then... and still have much fondness now. And I know it offered me inspiration to teach.
Katherine
Jun 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book. I bought it at a rummage sale for twenty-five cents! I had never heard of the author, but I am glad I found her. "Nearby" is an interesting story!
Judith Wrinkle
Feb 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Love this Lady, read her many times when I was younger. Probably should read her again.
Marcia
Jane
Jul 26, 2012
Morgan
Sep 07, 2017
Elizabeth Yates, author of over forty books for children, was born in New York State on December 6th, 1905. Determined to be an author, she moved to New York City to launch her career. She worked a variety of jobs including reviewing book, writing short stories, and doing research. She moved to England with her husband and wrote her first book, High Holiday, based on her travels in Switzerland wit ...more
More about Elizabeth Yates...