Start by marking “A Duel in Meryton: A Pride and Prejudice Variation” as Want to Read:

A Duel in Meryton: A Pride and Prejudice Variation

With his young sister Georgiana’s reticence a constant reminder that his onetime friend, George Wickham, should not be trusted, Darcy decides a trip to rural Hertfordshire is in order, for both him and Georgiana. Darcy believes the people there are of so little consequence, Georgiana will know no fear in interacting with them. He soon learns he’s wrong about both his ...more
Published August 18th 2019 by Amazon Digital Services

To ask other readers questions about A Duel in Meryton, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Duel in Meryton

Start your review of A Duel in Meryton: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
Debbie
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jaff, i-own-it, 2019-jaff
This book diverges from canon in so many interesting ways! The first chapters begin at Rosings. We learn that Colonel Fitzwilliam has an identical twin brother, Walter (who shows up in the book later). Also, a Mr. Blackmore is there, having presented himself as Louis de Bourgh's second cousin. He's wooing Anne. This leads to a shocking confrontation.

Years later, one consequence of those events is that Colonel Fitzwilliam inherits Rosings after the deaths of his cousin and aunt. Unfortunately,
Sheila Majczan
Aug 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
When I read the title I imagined it would be Darcy and maybe Wickham duelling. Although one story had Mr. Bennet dueling with and dying at the hands of the latter man, this story has neither and I really don't want to reveal who goes at it in the face-off. I was pleasantly surprised with the twist this story had.

The story starts maybe 4 years before canon, at Rosings. The Colonel is there along with Darcy and another man, claiming to be a relation to Sir Lewis de Bourgh is also there and he is
Nicole Barton Sasser

ASIN: B07WSGQ1TD

wosedwew
Aug 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, book-reviews
A duel in France, is not like one in England; the former is a matter of course; a trifle of common occurrence; one makes an engagement to fight, in the same breath as an engagement to dine; but the latter is a thing of state and solemnity — long faces — early rising — and will making. ~ Edward George Earle Bulwer-Lytton

Yes, a Duel comes to Meryton but the participants are not the ones you might expect.

Our story begins with an incident at Rosings Park several years before the events in canon
Jenny
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-read, jaff
It's difficult to summarise the plot here.... it's a long story with lots of twists and turns. We start much earlier with an incident at Rosings which changes the following chain of events. We have the Colonel,as a twin, and Georgiana arriving with Bingley and the Netherfield party. Collins arrives and is more arrogant and obnoxious than usual and yet his story is one that is really important.

I thought this story was quite slow to get going - but the reason for spending so much time on the early
James S
Aug 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very original story

This enjoyable story isn’t just about Lizzy and Darcy it is about both of their families. Darcy insults Lizzy at the assembly but that is about all that is canon.

The story has lots of interactions with various characters and is a really good read. I recommend the book.
Sheryl Gordon
Sep 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
A different and interesting road to several HEAs

This story added characters and events, perfectly in sync with Miss Austen's creations, but flips the story into something new and attention worthy. Georgiana plays an initially pivotal role in this realistic, radical departure from canon. I found all the familiar characterizations to be legitimate to their sources within an original plot of universal romance. Quite satisfying.
Barbara K.
Entertaining if implausible Pride and Prejudice variation, but the storytelling is good enough that I was able for the most part to suspend disbelief and just enjoy the ride. There is some humor and quite a lot of ungentlemanly behavior by even our favorite gentlemen. Georgiana Darcy's part in this variation is much more important than usual. Wickham's is too, the blackguard, although he has almost no time on page. Mr. Collins goes through quite an interesting transformation.

There are three new
lori huff
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful

The story starts well before the meeting of ODC, and lays the groundwork for the villainy of George Wickham. Because of a betrayal by Wickham, Anne DeBourgh is endangered and subsequently rescued by Colonel Fitzwilliam. As a result, Fitzwilliam inherits Rosings Park after the death of Anne, and then later, Lady Catherine. Darcy is present during the incident with Anne, and it isn't apparent at that point that Wickham is involved in it, but that connection comes to light later.

Eventually
Auggy
Jan 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
An enjoyable, lighthearted read. Some of the characters are different from their original version without an explanation as to why but others follow nicely from earlier events that differ from the original book (like the death of Anne and Lady Catherine and how that changes things). Mr. Bennett’s illness is a bit strange though - it is introduced as a BIG DEAL but then peters out into seeming more like an excuse not to write him. What was going on with him anyway?

The first part of the book has a
Rachel de la Fuente
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I’ve read so many Pride and Prejudice variations that finding one with a wholly new premise is a delightful surprise. A Duel in Meryton (ADIM) was just that. It’s a fun, well-paced read with an enjoyable and satisfying ending.

I don’t wish to give anything away, but ADIM offers a unique event happening years before Pride and Prejudice that changes the course of the entire story. Unlike many other Pride and Prejudice variations, ADIM doesn’t include any passages from the original text, a welcome
Rachel Wilson
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sweet

I enjoyed the cast of characters herein, and I loved the happily ever after factor for so many. I won’t spoil who ends up with who, beyond of course our favorite couple, but suffice to say, it was a pleasant change from some of the norms.

I liked the ending very much, and I only wish, as often is the case with good books, that there was just a little more.
Jean Stillman
Sep 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I always enjoy these writers. And this new story from them is another hit. I loved the characters, especially Colonel Fitzwilliams twin brother...Walter. He is a match maker and extremely funny. And in this version, Mr. Collins is not so terrible, after a while. All in all, quite entertaining.
Maria
Aug 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: jaff
Though the idea is rather nice, the execution is far from interesting. I would only single out the Colonel Fitzwilliam's romance, but this is minor sublot and as such is insufficient to give this book anything but 3
I have come to expect a certain standard from these authors and while this was as well written as ever, this was not a favourite. I was also disappointed we didn't actually see the duel that the story built up to.
Sabrina
Oct 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this story because of the little to no angst with the characters and that Elizabeth's dislike of Darcy and avoidance because of his behavior was not blown to hatred like it is in other variations so the move to love was not as shocking or forced.
Emily
Jan 22, 2020 rated it liked it
Good

This one was a bit slower to get into and I didn't love the harshness of Darcys character early on, but it was a cute premise with interesting additions.
Tammy Buchli
Sep 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fun, non-canonical Austenation by the very dependable duo of McCann and Hanford.
Angie Reon
Oct 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fun and well-written, this book offers a new game on the old tale.
Stephanie