Start by marking “Defender (Galactic Gladiators: House Of Rone, #2)” as Want to Read:
Defender (Galactic Gladiators: House Of Rone, #2)

Defender

(Galactic Gladiators: House Of Rone #2)

Rescued from alien slavers, the only place she feels safe is in the brawny arms of a big, gruff cyborg...

Astrophysicist Dr. Jayna Lennox's life imploded the day her ship was attacked by aliens. Through months of captivity, she's survived by shutting down and not feeling. Then she's freed by the House of Rone cyborgs and finds herself in the arms of huge, tough Mace.

Kindle Edition, 1st Edition, 211 pages
Published August 18th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Defender, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Defender

Angela (Angel's Guilty Pleasures)
Another fabulous story. Loved the action and the romance. Can’t wait for the next novel.

Full review to come.
Rated: 4 Stars
Victoria
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow, wow, wow. What a fun ride. Once the action starts she just keeps it going without skipping a beat. Absolutely Perfect. Not a thing wrong with this story. Just wow.
Marta Cox
Aug 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-reviews
I know when I'm in the mood for a romance that's action packed and fast paced that this author will deliver. This the latest in her sci fi series about humans trapped on a planet that venerates Gladiators does work as a standalone as the author manages to seamlessly drop background information in . I do feel though that the series as a whole adds just so much fun if the reader can read in order.
Whether you start here or not this story has romance, vile aliens and wickedly cool cyborgs who make
Ashley
Another amazing story!

Mace can’t stop thinking about Jayna after they rescued her. She has been beaten down but not broken. He refuses to baby her and pushes her to come out of her shell. Jayna is infuriated and attracted by Mace’s constant pushing her to remember. She eventually remembers some location information and another missing human. The hunt for the Edull city is on.

I really enjoyed Mace and Jayna’s relationship. They both helped each other overcome their past and become stronger peop
Mei
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf
As usual: good!
A little bit unbelievable and too short, but still nice!
Elodie
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
While on a search party to rescue an other human, can two broken individuals find a way to the other heart.

Mrs Anna Hackett is part of my candy for the brain authors list. When I am tired, overwhelmed or sad, her stories help to cheer my mood, and much more when I am not.
I do love her resilient never weak heroines and her broken but caring heroes.
The pattern of the story is often similar from one book to another, a recovered heroine partnering with one of the hero from the rescue party teaming
Nikki Brooks
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Now it's time for big, badass Mace to get a slice of some Earthling love!

Jayna should fear the huge, deadly and ot alltogether humanoid Mace. But he swooped in and saved her when she was at her lowest and she has felt nothing but safe with him ever since. But she can't rely on him babsitting her forever. She has to get back on her feet, find some kind of job and make peace with the fact that she is never going home to Earth.

Mace is more than the sum of his parts. He may be part cyborg but he is
Cailin
Stellar!!!

Mace and Jayna's story will keep you flipping pages so fast you'll get whiplash! Hot, sweet, and full of action, this book does not disappoint!!!!
Cc
Aug 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, 2019, ku
Jayna and Mace

Another human woman rescued and brought back to reality by a loner cyborg. Then they’re off to rescue more women.

So good but very formula. You know what you’re gonna get and it’s great.
LuDena Radford
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mace

Mace , Jayna and the house of Rone have to face against time to save another human from the maniacal Edull . I find this book and the rest of the series totally radical .
Marlene
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Originally published at Reading Reality

When it seemed like the Galactic Gladiators series was coming to an end, back with Imperator, I said that this was a series that could potentially go on forever. By the end of Imperator, all of the human refugees that were kidnapped through the temporary wormhole had been rescued from the Thraxian slavers, and the slavers, or at least that group of them, had been broken.

But that didn’t mean that there couldn’t have been other groups of humans kidnapped from
JML
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5🌟 I love Cathargo and all its fabulous gladiators be they all flesh and blood or part cyborg!

Another winner 🏆for Anna Hackett and her gladiators of the Desert world of Carthago. Jayna is one of the young earth 🌎women rescued from the first book in Cathargo's new arc the House of Rone. I love gladiators and I love cyborgs put them together with tough, strong females and it's the perfect read. At the end of the last book she was fractured, bent but not truly broken and Mace one of the House of Ro
ManyHatMomma
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
LOVE LOVE LOVE DEFENDER!

After reading the Galactic Gladiators House of Galen series, I was thrilled to read book 1, Sentinel, of the Galactic Gladiators House of Rone. The stories are so good, and it was pure torture waiting for this book to be released. Defender turned out to be one of the best! Far exceeded my expectations! Jayna, though severely traumatized in the beginning, transforms beautifully into a strong overcomer. Mace, our gruff (and kinda intimidating) hero, becomes one of my favori
Sherill
ENTHRALLING - ACTION & STEAMY PASSIONATE ROMANCE

DISCLOSURE; Strictly on a volunteer basis, this is a pre-release review via the author.

"Defender" has loads of thrilling action, spine-chilling danger, suspense, steamy passionate romance, heart-melting moments and a fabulous romantic conclusion.

Jayna the newest, earth woman rescued by the House of Rone, is dealing with lost memories of her time with the evil Edull aliens. She still has bursts of anxiety and only feels safe when Mace is near. M
Chera
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mace is a trusted member of the House of Rone cyborgs inner circle. He was born on a planet run by gangs and was used as a fighter in their deadly rings. His cyborg enhancements a result of internal injuries he received whilst fighting. His alien blood gave him a larger and stronger physical structure, his cyborg enhancements gave him surprising defence and fighting abilities.

Jayne Lennox, an astrophysicist, was onboard the Helios when it was attacked by the Thraxians and when the House of Galen
Carey S.
Aug 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Defender by Anna Hackett

Mace is a cyborg alien and Jayna is an astrophysicist who was abducted from her spaceship when Thraxian slavers attacked them. She was taken prisoner and tortured and experimented upon by the Edull aliens in the desert. She survived, but not without scars—both internal and external. Mace had a tough beginning, so he’s not afraid to tell it like it is with Jayna. He doesn’t baby her and he prods her with words to get her riled up and mad, so she will fight for her own heal
Melanie S
Aug 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
From beaten and broken to beloved and empowered

The House of Rone is famed for its gladiators, but the elite cyborgs who founded and now operate the enterprise don't fight in the arena - they fight for freedom. Their mission is to find and free the enslaved humans from the research ship Helios. Jayna, lead astrophysicist of Helios, is rescued first, and while recovering and healing at the House of Rone she is befriended by Mace. He's an elite cyborg, a refugee rescued from dying on a brutal fight
Kelly
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Big, growly, grumpy heroes are my FAVORITE. Seriously. I adore them. Mace checks off all those boxes because the guy is a big, scary, adorable grump who steps in and comforts Jayna after her ordeal in the only way he knows how. By being blunt and making her face her fears head-on.

Yeah, his method isn't for everyone, but it forced Jayna out of her head and gets her to stop reliving the trauma of her captivity. It gets her living again. And part of that living means connecting with Mace. You know,
Dora
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Freed from the Edull and desperate to find the other captives Jayna could not rest. Only Mace’s attentions made her trust there was hope for them. Mace was confused with his attraction for Jayna. He had been used, think he was unworthy, never had something of his own and now he wanted to protect the Earth female and his inner self knew she was his. But with a dangerous rescue mission, they would need to fight fiery with all their skills and strength. Liked Jayna’s strong will and how she fought ...more
Karen
Shelves: top-ten-author
Jayna and Mace

This is a great KU library read in the Galactic Gladiator series. Each book in the series is a standalone, featuring a different couple. This book features Jayna Lennon, an astrophysicist from Earth who was taken from a space station by alien slavers traveling through a wormhole. She was freed from captivity by the House of Rone cyborgs, but has been unable to adjust to her newfound freedom because of the experimentation she was subjected to in a metal junker's lab after she was so
Jannie Cv
What a thrilling story!
With an Anna Hackett book, you can always be assured of a fiery, action-packed adventure, and a sweet romance. I loved seeing Jayna recover her inner strength after her ordeal with the Edull. Finding safety, security, in the arms of a huge cyborg helped speed along her recovery. I wish I had a protector of his caliber! Mace certainly wasn’t looking for any emotional ties, but Jayna proved to have an irresistible allure.
I admire his overprotective nature, even as he’s deny
Lisa
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As always, another fun read! Mace and Jayna's story was hot, and action packed. I'd love to know where the author gets her awesome ideas from. A series can get stale fast, but Anna Hackett is always coming up with something new to pull you in and keep your attention.

The cyborgs are full of interesting tech, and are constantly struggling to learn how to deal with emotions, in others and in themselves.

We get a little more info on the Edull, and their technology as well. More strong-minded women
Karen Fisher
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! Jayna is a scientist with an analytical mind but she fears her mind my never recover from the abuse she received from her captors. Mace is a cyborg who makes her feel safe. Reading her journey to recovery and the search for her fellow captives is riveting. The insert of the steamy bits is seamless and appropriate for the place Jayna is at. This is a well written story with heart. I received an advanced copy of this book from the author and freely leave this honest review.
Aurrora James
Exceeded my expectations

I love all of Anna Hackett’s books and her strong heroines and tough, protective heroes. But lately her heroines were so kick butt that it was hard to relate to them. All that changed with Jayna in Defender. She wasn’t an action hero in her former life. She was a scientist and it was really great to see her fight through her fears and decide to move forward and fight for her future and to rescue her friends. It was realistic and I loved her character. As for Mace, he was
Lisa
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Anna Hackett is one of my favorite, go-to authors and I cannot remember a time that one of her books has ever disappointed me. Defender is no different. It is a fast-paced return to gladiators and cyborgs with the story of Jayna and Mace. As the characters continue to rescue citizens of Earth, the action, adventure and love continues in full-force. I thoroughly enjoyed the strong heroine that Jayna is and the surprisingly soft-hearted Mace. I voluntarily read an advanced reader copy of this book ...more
Denise
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is book two with Jayna and Mace fighting a losing battle over the attraction to each other. They both have not had an easy life with torture and abductions. Jayna is still recovering but she is determined to help find the others humans taken along with her from the exploration ship the Helios. They will have to go deep into the desert with help from the other houses to ensure the mission is successful because they are running out of time to rescue the survivors. Thank you to Anna Hackett fo ...more
Laura Lambert
Another great addition

I think this story is best enjoyed if you read the previous books, but it is a great story on its own. I appreciate how the author keeps finding ways to surprise you. Just when you think you know what's coming next, bam, here's another twist to the story, I really like both the H/h in this story. You should read the book. I'm not going to spoil it, but just read it.
sharon e hochstetler
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love it

Made is a huge cyborg. Rescued by Magnus from horrible fight rings. He was broken but The House of Rone have him new purpose. He was on a mission to find a human female. They found her beaten, starved and terrified. The doctor healed her. Jayna was a scientist. She feels lost until Made gave her some are truths. Jayna pulls it together and teaches a grumpy cyborg how to love. Loved it!
Alma Spivey
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love and action best of both worlds.

As usual Mace and Jayne are excellent characters. Goes to show that size or looks don't matter when it comes to love. This series is just as good as everything else I have read by Anna Hackett. I absolutely adore her books and series. I will always put down what I am reading to read any new book she has coming out. Her characters are always wonderful and I always love her unique stories. Always look forward to the next one.
Christine
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This can be read as a stand-alone, but it is more exciting when the series is read in order. The author excels at making each book exciting and fresh no matter how many stories are in the series. This story offers lots of action, high and low tech, aliens, humor, suspense, twists, romance, and a thrilling HEA ending. You will be routing for the hero and heroine as well as enjoying the appearances of secondary characters that enhance the story.
« previous 1 3 next »
I’m Anna and I’m a USA Today bestselling author who’s passionate about action romance. I love stories that combine the thrill of falling in love with the excitement of action, danger and adventure. I write about people overcoming unbeatable odds and achieving seemingly impossible goals. I like to believe it’s possible for all of us to do the same.

My parents are to blame for my insatiable need to m

Galactic Gladiators: House Of Rone (2 books)
  • Sentinel (Galactic Gladiators: House Of Rone, #1)