Start by marking “Hate the Game (Love Games #1)” as Want to Read:
Hate the Game (Love Games #1)

Hate the Game

(Love Games #1)

Talon Gold is a lot of things: good at football, bad at love. Obsessed with scoring, refuses to play by the rules. Cruel. Relentless. Brilliant. Intoxicatingly attractive.

Despite his demanding reputation and propensity for being the most arrogant a-hole ever to strut Pacific Valley University’s picturesque campus, everyone wants a piece of him: coaches, scouts, and pretty
Published September 27th 2019 by Independently published

To ask other readers questions about Hate the Game, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hate the Game

Start your review of Hate the Game (Love Games #1)
Dilek VT
An ordinary college romance with a bit of sports touch to it.

*********************************************

The heroine, Irie, is kinda annoying. The hero, Talon, goes after her for 4 years. He chases her, asks her out and she keeps saying No to him, thinking he is a d*ck, an as*hole and a man-wh*re.

He is not!

Talon didn’t sleep with any girl in all those 4 years because all he wanted was her. She always rejected him and she was always so cold towards him. There was one incident on his freshman year; he got intimate with one girl but he could
Lien
"This victory? Not going to happen."

Famous last words, right? I knew it was going to happen. The pope knew it was going to happen. My nonexistant cat knew it was going to happen. We ALL knew it was going to happen.

What I didn't expect was that it'll be so easy. I think I would have liked this book a lot more if the blurb said something like "... [he's] doing everything in his power to get in my good graces. And I'm starting to believe that he means it." or "And I'm starting to warm up to him."
I don't know, anything other t"And
London
Decided to read it once someone clarified some of the OW sexual info for me. Hero has been obsessed with heroine since he first met her. The author doesn’t do a really good job of explaining why he’s so obsessed with her, could have used more relationship development.

Anyway, it was sweet and he chases her from start to finish. It ends pretty quickly and I wish she hadn’t had to give up her career for him (even if it works out for her in the end) because ...I’m a feminist and I’d neve
Myla
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Talon, a star quarterback, has been smitten with Irie when he first laid eyes on her during there freshman year but she won't give him the time of day. Now that they are about to graduate, Talon is more than ever determined to ask Irie why couldn't she give him a chance.

Irie has been focused to finish college without any distraction named Talon. She's convinced that Talon only wants one thing from her that's why she ignored him ever since. Until that one fateful day, when they became a study partner. Final
Lydia
Sep 29, 2019 rated it did not like it
Manho of sorts. That wasn’t even my biggest issue.

My biggest issue was the heroine that gave up her six-figure dream job to follow the hero to another town to play football. I thought it was selfish of the hero to asks her of this...more than once. And I thought it was very stupid of the heroine. He kept saying he couldn’t turn down his offer, like his job/dream was more important than hers just because he would be making more money.

The dude was already rich, he didn’t ev
Nova  Brantley
Sep 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Not bad but not great either. What’s new? Hard to find a great one.
Bookgasms Book Blog
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ratula
Hate the game was a deliciously sexy NA football romance with all the feels. I enjoyed Talon and Irie's chemistry and loved how relentless Talon was in getting a chance with her. This story was sexy and engaging and I could not stop reading!

Star Quarterback, Talon Gold has always wanted a chance with Irie Davenport but his four year pursuit of her has always crashed and burned. But as new study buddy partners, Irie is forced to see a new side of Talon she never expected. But with sec
Coco.V
Sep 25, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-but-not-read
New release! Hate the Game is on sale for $0.99 (regular price will be $4.99) on Amazon today (9/25/2019)💞
Karen
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this story. I really liked how firm she was about not dating Talon. It was a well developed story with great characters. I really understood her stance once the whole story comes out. It seems real.

Acquiring athletes for the NFL is not accurate but I overlooked it.

I just really liked how this all played out and the extended HEA was cool.
Snow
Oct 07, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hmmm...
I love sport/college NA growing up kinda storylines...LOL (it's my weak spot I guess, right after the "enemies to lovers" trope LOL)

cause well, there's a "prooved-safe" outline for them all - a guy wants a girl, she doesn't want him, or she plays it hard to get, he's a manwhore, she's practically a virgin, nerdy shy (or she's sassy and stubborn and stands for herself thus making her very appealing to the guy as he sees her as a challenge) there's push and pull, bickering
April Symes
Hate the Game by Winter Renshaw is a deliciously tempting college romance full of angst and drama, feels and sweet. Without giving anything away, Talon and Irie are both just amazing characters who will have you rooting for them together and separately.
Talon is a hot jock with a jerky attitude , determined to be the top dog on and off the field while Irie's the quiet girl- the one interested in finishing college and starting her career as an interior designer.
Theirs is a slow dance yet i
Erin
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
Ugh the chick irritated me through the entire book. She was arrogant and condescending and just a bitch. I literally felt 0 connection with this couple and her past discrepancy was gross and completely not believable especially her attitude about it 👎🏻
Mila
Sep 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who are starting to read romance
I really liked it, it was cute and easy to read. There wasn't much romance built up, there wasn't much character development either, at least that's how I felt it; The book could have been so much better, sooooo much more, but somehow I still liked it a lot, I mean it... a lot, so a 4 star reading to me.
Me gustó mucho, incluso cuando le faltaban tantas cosas y pudo haber sido mucho mejor. No sé cómo, but aggg lo disfruté mucho.
I love aunt Bette

“What is it ab
Whoo Gives A Hoot
* Read more of my reviews at Whoo Gives A Hoot *

description

Hate the Game by Winter Renshaw is a beautifully captivating slow burn new adult sports romance that had my heart all twisted up. Talon Gold and Irie Davenport were complete opposites, even if he knew she was the one that kept getting away. With college graduation upon them, neither one of them expect thiclass="gr-hostedUserImg">
Hate*
☆☆Hannah☆☆
Oct 01, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a good read. Irie and Talon are in college. She continuously rejects him. However, one night she starts to see he isn't the person everyone thinks he is. They end up dating but it's one of those short term because I'm leaving and you can't change my mind things. Once you read about her past it will be understandable. Although, his family life is messed up too. The important thing is in the end they get their HEA.
Lisa
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5. This was a quick easy sweet read. Not complicated, not a lot of intensity or angst. I was thinking there would be more push-pull and a deeper emotional connection but it was relatively smooth sailing after the initial hurdle. There were some surprises and disappointments. Otherwise enjoyable but somewhat forgettable.
Ilaria 81
Sep 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nice and refreshing college romance
Hero ❤❤❤❤
Heroine❤❤❤(no V card 🙂) but first nerdy then involved in the past in a foursome .. well contradictory
Plot ❤❤❤❤(evil step father quite a cliche )
Steam ❤❤❤
Really cute read she is not insta loving the big guy in college and he do not give up
Not predictable
Jennifer Hinson
"Over the years, this has become a sort of game between us. Cat and mouse. Offense and defense. He’s tried every strategy in the book, but I’ve managed to stick to the one that always works— cold, coy, aloof, and uninterested."

You know when you see an author's name and just know they write good stories? Thats what I thought the moment I saw Winter Renshaw's name.... and how RIGHT I was. This was my very first read by her (I don't know how I've missed her up until now) and it has landed on both my TOP reads of 2019
Jeeves Reads Romance
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’ve gotta admit... this book is nothing like I expected it to be, but I loved it. Winter Renshaw’s writing is always great so I knew I was in for a good read, but this book is sweeter, cleaner, and lighter than I’ve come to expect from her books. It’s a New Adult romance with a hero you can’t help but fall for and I loved the journey.

The story follows a college senior and the star quarterback who has been pursuing her relentlessly since freshman year. Irie knows Talon only wants her
Sbell
Uggg....this book frustrated me. I did
like our hero Talon. He was sweet and
only ever wanted Irie. He was diabolical
in his pursuit of her and I really liked that.
He never gave up. Irie was so frustrating,
that I had a really hard time liking her.
She was wishy washy and boring, and
really unbelievable as a character. What
makes me really not like this book was
Irie's big reveal....what has molded her
into the woman she is today. The big
secret
Emily (Mrs B's Books)

This is almost like a coming of age book where both characters have had hardships in their life, they just mask it to the world.

Irie has been hurt in her past by an ex-boyfriend who was on the football team, therefore when Talan showed an interest in her her Sophomore year she new that she would never reciprocate. Fast forward to four months until the end of college and although Talan has al
Anne OK
Quick, easy college sports-related romance that pits two strong-willed college seniors against the other. He's all about the word "yes" and she's a definite "no" -- but wait a bit and it may turn into a "maybe." The norm college star quarterback on his way to a multi-million dollar NFL contract and the odd duck girl with a chance for a different life upon graduation -- one that doesn't include him. It's a wild romp with a little blast of angst and heartbreak -- a broken nose and a stepdad from h ...more
Lula Pantoofle
So Irie is never ever going to go out with college quarterback star Talon. Nope. Not ever. Ever I tell you. Then she does. The end.

This was a slightly angsty, college sports romance. Talon is the cocky jock. Irie is the not impressed studious geek girl. He chases her and persuades her to date him which I enjoyed.

It was very readable. Each character had their own history which was revealed over time and brought them closer together. I would say it lacked that lighthearted, college feel. These t
Alexa
Oct 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
This one was a cute football romance. Quarterback falls for the girl who never gave him a chance. It was pretty predictable but it was light hearted and fun! Steamy for sure! I think if your looking for something light and sport related and you don’t mind steamy sex then you’d love it!

Steam 🔥🔥🔥.
Stacey Timmons
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved Talon Gold! I want him as my friend. Not a boyfriend because he's perfect for Irie! Lol. And Irie? Damn, she was awesome. I totally get why she was reluctant to date Talon when she tells him what happened in her past.

I loved that Irie had lasted nearly 4 years without giving in but also happy that she gave him a chance and that he never gave up on her, even when she pushed him away time and again.

I would have liked a bit more of a showdown with Mark but it was just enough to satisfy me
kk
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
2.5 ⭐
I read this book in one sitting, it was quick and easy to read.
But it was also really boring. I kept waiting for something to happen but no such luck. There was no connection between main characters. Irie was judgmental and completely unlikable. I didn’t buy into Talon pining for her for four years. Once she agreed to go out with him everything was easy and predictable. I was really expecting more based on the blurb.
The only thing that surprised me was her secret from high school. Bu
Madeleine East
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved Talon and Irie's story. Every word drew me in deeper. I love Winter's writing and this book was amazing.
Amy Dickinson
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Overall Grade: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Winter Renshaw is one of those authors that I want to fight for. I don’t think her following is huge, but her books are pure offerings of characterization, and her readership knows this. Her latest offering is no different.

Hate the Game is the tale of a reserved, studious college girl and the hot star quarterback for their university. Irie is simply biding her time until graduation. She has spent four years, flying under the radar, standing in her individuality. She exists f
B.
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Solid Jock Romance, Yet Talon Is Not Quite The Typical Jock!

Irie Davenport, twenty-two, likes to go against the trends. She once lived to please others, to earn their attention. Having been passed around like a hot potato to relatives during childhood - because she never knew her father and because her own mother was too busy living in a commune to be bothered - she never had a true sense of home or love. She learned the hard way that she needs to be true to herself. She remains guarded, b
Jennifer Pierson
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I went back & forth about this rating, even though Winter Renshaw is normally a perfect rating every time with no thought at all, there were just a few things that kind of messed with me, but I can't even type them up or it ends up with spoilers. Now, I'm not saying that I had a hard time staying immersed, because as usual, I couldn't put it down. It's the story of Talon Gold, the all star QB of his college with a ticket to the NFL. He could have any girl on campus that he wanted, except one ...more

• The Dugout (Brentwood Baseball, #2)
  • The Hold Out (Brewer Brothers, #2)
  • I Hate You
  • Park Avenue Player
  • Jock Road (Jock Hard, #3)
  • Cruel Boy
  • The Guarded Heart
  • Consumed by Truths (Truth or Lies #6)
  • The Stopover (The Miles High Club, #1)
  • A Lie for a Lie (All In, #1)
  • FALCON (Trinity Academy #1)
  • Most Desirable Player
  • Cruel Prince (Royal Hearts Academy, #1)
  • Cherry Beats
  • MASON (Trinity Academy #2)
  • Sawyer (Carolina Reapers #2)
  • Just Playin'
  • The Puppetmaster
“Tell me what it’s going to take to tear down this fucking fortress you’ve built around yourself,” he says. “And while you’re at it, tell me who put it there so I can kick his fucking ass.” 0 likes