Start by marking “Ailey of Skye” as Want to Read:

Ailey of Skye

Aileen MacEwan has a second chance at life.

Fresh out of rehab, she’s still learning to deal with emotions. Discovering living relatives on the Isle of Skye, Scotland comes as a shock - one that has her gripping white-knuckled to her sobriety. How does a young woman who’s never experienced love and affection acclimate to an overprotective brother, a kind and loving mother,
Published September 17th 2019 by Wendy Hewlett

To ask other readers questions about Ailey of Skye, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ailey of Skye

Start your review of Ailey of Skye
Julia Blake
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What an explosive, poignant and heartwrenching read Ailey of Skye was. Dropping straight into the action, the book wastes no time with unnecessary backstory and instead plunges the reader headfirst into the life of Ailey. A young woman with a troubled and tragic past, she arrives on the beautiful Scottish island of Skye looking for a fresh beginning, and a chance to discover who she really is.

Being reunited with the family she never knew existed, you'd have to have a heart of stone not to
Caroline Noe
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recovering addict, Aileen MacEwan, flees Toronto for the Isle of Skye, place of her birth. There she discovers the family she never knew and the real reason her father abducted her as a baby. But as a new terror threatens to engulf her, the old one also comes back to haunt her.

This is my first book by Hewlett and it won't be the last. Filled with characters you can't help but root for, a compelling plot and a disarming romance, the book is a delight from start to finish. The unusual heroine with
Julie Embleton
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ailey of Skye by Wendy Hewlett

Ailey has returned to her birthplace of the Isle of Skye, Scotland, fleeing Canada and the horrors suffered since her teenage years. Uncovering the truth about her family, she struggles to stay clean, but her past and addictions refuse to release their clutches leaving her fight for everything she holds dear.

From the first pages of this book, I wanted to skip right to the end to know Ailey would get her happy ever after. Immediately endeared to her, I found the
Mary Willard
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic read. Wendy tackles the tough topics of addiction and human trafficking in a fascinating and insightful way with a female character that you very quick come to love. Fleeing sex domination in Toronto, Canada, Aileen finds she has family in Skye, Scotland she knew nothing about. The story is page gripping as well as page turning as terrors both await her and follow her. The author takes you on a hair-raising ride from surviving on the streets of Toronto through some of the most ...more
Becky Wright
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was totally drawn to Ailey of Skye with my love of Scotland and the Isle of Skye and the intriguing premise of the book. It is my first taste of Wendy Hewlett, and so not fully knowing what to expect, I went in open-minded, despite being a little out of my depth regarding genre. As they say variety is the spice of life… and I’m so glad I did, what a treat this was.

Ailey of Skye is a gripping, nail-biting, hard-hitting crime thriller dealing with the horrific subjects of child trafficking,
Michelle Austin
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ailey of Skye was a great 5 star read.

Aileen is traveling to Scotland, her grandmother left her money and her house. Aileen is looking to get away for awhile and possibly sell the house. Although, when she shows up at the house she is surprised to see a man already living there. When she finds out who the man is she is shocked, and that’s not the only shocking news that she will get.

Aileen is a recovering addict and has had a not so great experience in life. As she learns more about her family,
Claire Heaven
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Not my first rollercoaster ride with Ms. Hewlett, my expectations were high and she didn’t disappoint. Dealing with powerful and emotive topics, Hewlett follows Aileen MacEwan’s journey of not only self-discovery, but the discovery of family she didn’t know existed. A family that has been searching for her.
The ‘filling in’ of the backstory was well done, the emotional destruction and character assassination she had endured for over a decade, was powerful and delicately handled. Her
Kerry  carr
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is a wonderful story about a girl called Ailey. Ailey grew up in Canada with her gambling addict of a father. When her father died she was left to fend for herself and the only way she was able to survive was to join a gang and become a drug addict.

Fact forward 13 years Ailey is a heavy drug user and is almost on the brink of dying when her grandmothers solicitor finds her.
After going through rehab she decides to go the the Isle of Skye to claim what was left to her by her grandma.
Bobbi Wagner
Sep 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the first book I have read by this author, I enjoyed it. It is a well develped story that has characters that took me on an emotional ride in parts. The characters made the story feel realistic. Aileen’s grandmother left her a house now she is left with the decision on what to do with it. She is also in search of herself. She discovers some secrets but will she be able to hold it together long enough to find answers? I highly recommend this book, great friendship and family connections.
Rhonda Pulk
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
By: Wendy Hewlett
4 out of 5 stars.
This emotional story betrays the struggles of an addict on the road to recovery. This is done while being in a strange country while dealing with the loss of her grandmother.
The story is well developed and very unique. I was surprised that the story didn’t go the way that I thought it would. This is an easy to read story that really holds the reader's attention.
Heather Wamboldt
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I have read by Wendy Hewlett and I found it to be a fascinating but moving story about Ailey learning to love herself. The characters are well developed and the storyline is gripping and well written. The subjects of child trafficking, addiction, and abuse are dealt with in a realistic but caring manner.

I am looking forward to reading more by this author.

Robin Rankin
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ailey of Skye by Wendy Hewlett grabbed my heart and twisted relentlessly. My heart exploded with hurt and sadness for Ailey and everything she experienced and survived in her short twenty three years. I suppose I should be happy she was able to make it through but good grief she was dealt a bad hand and it only continued to get worse for a long time.

Ailey is a hero, she took her second chance and did amazing things while only thinking of others, no matter the consequences for her. I absolutely
Angela
4 Stars

“How was she supposed to deal with this alone in a strange country and stay sober? She swiped hot tears from her cheek and began the deep breathing exercises they taught her in rehab. By the fifth breath she was starting to feel a little calmer, but she still wanted a drink. She wondered if they had AA meetings on the Isle of Skye. She should probably check that out.”

Aileen MacEwan (Ailey) had just finished a stint in rehab in her hometown of Toronto, when she inherits her grandmother’s
Laura Furuta
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
By: Wendy Hewlett
5 out of 5 stars

I found the story Ailey of Skye by Wendy Hewlett to be an amazing book to read. It pulls you in right from the beginning and didn’t let me go until I had read the final page. It is a story that will have you believing in the strength of the human spirit and of the will to survive. I loved reading about the main character of Aileen MacEwan. She is a young woman that has an inner strength that shows for all to see. She at times has to be reminded of
Debi
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ailey of Skye by Wendy Hewlett

5 Stars

So this being my first read by this author I was super excited about it. Lets just say I can't wait to read another.

This story was so unique and grabbed me right from the start. I went in blind, only seeing the beautiful cover so had no idea besides Ailey who this book was about. I was shocked when I learned who Brodie was and that's about the time I was totally invested..There were a lot of moving parts to this story and there were times I was worried that
Liz
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I must start with the fact that this book’s main character bears a special name, and one that is my middle name. I love this! It is so rare to see Aileen spelled with an A. I suppose I was already invested in Aileen before I really even began the book. This is what attracted me to it when I read the blurb. I have never had the pleasure of ready Wendy Hewlett prior to this so I had no idea what to expect. I was extremely happy that I loved this book as much as I did.

Ailey of Skye will take you
Shannon
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is my first book by Wendy Hewlett so I did not know what to expect other than it was a self-discovery story with a possible love story. Little did I know that 2 chapters in and I would be “a blubbering fool” as well! Parent child relationships are so personal to me because I am both a parent and a child. My relationships with my parents/stepparents is rocky at best; however my relationship with my children is so much better. Whenever I read a story involving parents and their children I ...more
Tausha Treadway
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ailey of Skye by Wendy Hewlett. This is the story of Aileen MacEwan from Toronto who is recovering from alcohol and drug addiction. When her grandmother passes away and leaves her a house on the Isle of Skye in Scotland she heads there to try to find herself and decide what to do with the house. Recently being released from Rehab she's really in a precarious situation. She wants to do this on her own but she's scared she may feel the need to drink. Once she arrives at her grandmother's house ...more
Kerry Baker
Sep 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ailey of Skye by Wendy Hewlett is a highly emotional book that will easily have you invested in the characters. This book is the first one that I have read by this author so I really didn’t know what to expect. The blurb was intriguing. It hinted at mystery and drama with a great storyline. The book definitely lived up to that.
I found it so easy to be drawn into the character of Ailey. She has such a depth and complexity about her. The way the author portrayed her really made her feel “normal”.
Caralee
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ailey Of Skye by Wendy Hewlett
4 Stars!!!!

This was another great new author find. I really enjoyed this quaint little romance. The author has a refreshing style. I found that the characters were realistic. I found myself lost in this book as I would love to visit that part of Scotland featured in the book.

Ailey and Alec are such a good couple. I found myself really interested in Ailey's character as I have known a few people with alcohol addiction. I like how the author balanced the drama in
Maura
Sep 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
AILEY OF SKYE is the type of book that I thought I knew what was going to happen and settled in for some predictability only to discover, within the first few pages, how wrong I was.

A story of discovering one's true self and the whole nature vs nurture theory of life (there was very little nurture). Watching the growth of each character as the story evolves held my attention.

This is a well developed story with a realism and honesty about recovery and the tenuous hold we have on it sometimes.
Jana
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ailey of Skye is the first book by Wendy Hewlett I have read. It was a fantastic read and I once again fell in love with Scotland and the brogue … The writer tackles topics that are not easy to write about or read about – child trafficking, abuse, addiction … it also tells the story of the love of a family, self-acceptance and love itself …
Ailey of Skye is Aileen MacEwan’s discovery of herself, her past, the secrets hidden in the past and at times she feels that she cannot simply continue... it
Heather Lovelace
Sep 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
This extremely well written book transports the reader into this emotional journey of self discovery with some Scotland on the side. I dove right into these pages and devoured it. I felt transported to the Isle of Skye and felt each emotional tug in our main character’s journey. This is my first book from this author and certainly won’t be my last. Thoroughly enjoyed it and look forward to reading it again.
Pat Eroh
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing journey of self-discovery that was captivating from the first page. Aileen is a wonderful character who has so much to learn about her family, her past, and herself. Excellent story.

Kari Horstman
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was hooked from the very beginning! Wendy Hewlett jumped right in with some difficult topics but has pulled it off in such an amazing and humanizing way. Ailey is one of the most believable characters I’ve read. She hasn’t had an easy time of it, but she doesn’t let that stop her from rediscovering herself. Such a good story of redemption and family. Solid work. 4 stars.
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great read about recovery. Aileen MacEwan heads to skye after her grandmother dies and leaves her a house there. But when she arrives, someone is already living in it. Annoyed, she tries to have him removed but discovers they have more in common than she thought. As time goes on and events unravel, she discovers both herself and new friends along the way. Will she return to Canada the same person or sleill she be changed by Scotland?
A great read. Well developed plot with twists and turns that
gaye phillips
A departure from her "Taylor Sinclair" series, this is my favourite from Ms. Hewlett to date. Ailey arrives on Skye frail, broken and newly sober having lived an existence of servitude and drugs and never knowing any kind of a loving relationship. A varied cast of both nasty and lovely characters takes her on an unexpected journey of self discovery and love. A softer, yet still gritty, edge than Ms. Hewlett's previous books, which I personally loved, and all set against the back drop of the ...more
Byrd Nash
Sep 21, 2019
Sam Reeves
Oct 20, 2019
Wendy Hewlett
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)

• Journeys Through SpaceTime
  • Virtue & Vice (Spicetopia #2)
  • Chaining Daisy (The Perennials, #2)
  • Naughty & Nice
  • Fire & Ice (Spicetopia #3)
  • San Diego Dead (Jake Wolfe #4)
  • Hang On To Your Shirt Tails (Chasing Tails #2)
  • Avalon Hall
  • Misplaced: Joined: Book Two
  • Tails Always Wins (Chasing Tails #1)
  • Maggie
  • Diamonds & Deception (Karina Cardinal Mystery, #3)
  • Dagda's Daughter: Raven and Hummingbird Book 2
  • Toxic Blonde: A Johnny Delarosa Thriller (The Delarosa Series Book 2)
  • Evil Sushi (Evil Sushi #1)
  • Miami Days Havana Nights
  • Revive (Rewind #3)
  • September Breeze (Cinnamon Bay, #2)
Wendy writes crime fiction with a hint of romance featuring strong female protagonists. She brings a vast array of life experience to her pages having held jobs on cruise ships in the Caribbean, addiction counselor at a private addictions treatment centre, and years of experience in the security field.

She enjoys learning and holds diplomas in creative writing, forensic sciences, and law &