Start by marking “Shadows (Bayou Magic #1)” as Want to Read:
Shadows (Bayou Magic #1)

Shadows

(Bayou Magic #1)

From New York Times Bestselling Author, Kristen Proby, comes an all new paranormal romance set in the mystical city of New Orleans…

I am never alone. Not even when I am alone.
I see the unquiet dead, the souls that wander through the French Quarter.
They can’t move on, and I can’t stop seeing them.
I wear malachite for protection, and I control what I let in. It’s the onl
Kindle Edition, 1st edition, 324 pages
Published October 29th 2019 by Ampersand Publishing, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Shadows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadows

Start your review of Shadows (Bayou Magic #1)
DJ Sakata
Favorite Quotes:

“It’s a hell of a first date,” Millie mumbles. “I mean, most people just get naked and have sex and then regret their life choices in the morning. This is on a whole different level.” I smirk and then shrug. “The night’s not over yet.”

“For you,” she says to Cash, passing him a coffee. “There’s a protection spell in there.” “Does it have eye of newt?” he asks, flashing a smile. “Not this time,” Millie replies with a wink, making Cash’s smile slide from his
Chris  C - A Midlife Wife
Wow. What a twisted creepy story! Really good tho!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I love it when authors step out of their traditional storytelling themes and dive into something completely different from what they normally write.

In this story Proby tells a story about witches and hauntings that is a perfect read for the fall season.

This spooky paranormal romance contains many elements of a creepy, twisted story that will stick with you and make you wonder why you’re reading i
Diana
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing

I have heard that New Orleans was the most haunted place in the country, and after reading this story, I have no doubts. Shadows is a paranormal romance and something new and different from Kristen Proby.

Shadows revolves around Brielle, one of three gifted sisters. Brielle can see dead people, or “shadows”. When something changes with the shadows, there is trouble. Fortunately, a hot FBI profiler, Cash, is there to help Brielle and her sisters.

I absolutely ad
Curlyhairlass19
Oct 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
4.25 chill bump raising stars!

Now I need book 2! How’s it just gonna end like that?! I can’t believe this is Kristen’s first pnr book! Such a gothic, bone chilling, creepy read. I absolutely love the setting of New Orleans for this story. It created the perfect backdrop for ghosts, mystery, suspense and all things paranormal. I absolutely loved the three sisters, and the bond they shared. They each had different “powers”, but worked together in harmony. Loved Cash, and the protective
Larissa Ione
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Super creepy and twisty. The killer was terrifying. It was my first Kristen Proby book, and now I need to binge!
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

I liked this book. It wasn't perfect but I liked it. Believe it or not, I have never read Kristen Proby's work before picking up this book. I love paranormal stories so I thought that this would be a great place to start. So many things worked really well for me with this book and I am glad I made the decision to give it a try.

I loved the premise of this story. There are three sisters that all have extraordinary abilit
Michelle
This is brilliant !!

Free Image Hosting at FunkyIMG.com

I'm in shock at how much I luvd this book. I was a lil scared when I read the blurb for this book. Normally when it comes to this author I never have to. But when there is PNR mentioned I just don't go near it. It's really not my thing but this book was amazing. It's not really PNR with shifters and vampires it's more witches and powers really. Which I didn't mind at all and it was written so well so that
Stacie
4++ "You're one of the six."; "I see dead people." Stars!

Wow! I really did love this. This type of story appeals to me so much. It very much reminded me of Dark Witch and in my opinion that's a big compliment. The reason this book was not 5 stars for me was simply because everything happen so fast! The romance, the killings, the bad guy reveal. But! I still loved it all.

I fell hard for Cash and Brielle was just fantastic. The killer was 100% psycho! The story was written from three POVs-
Melissa B
Let me start off by saying "I DON'T READ PARANORMAL"; however, when I read the blurb about Shadows I was so intrigued that I HAD to read, plus......HELLO.....it's Kristen Proby. Wow... this book was suspenseful, eerie, spellbinding, I consumed page after page of this story not wanting to STOP! The twists and turns that unfold were heart-stopping, mind-blowing and jaw-dropping; needless to say this book NEEDS to be read! I can't wait for the next book because that ending had me swiping for more p ...more
Kayla Brunson
Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was Proby’s first paranormal/thriller book and I’m having a hard time believing that. The way she wrote this didn’t come off as her first time writing in this genre. I’m thinking she’s been holding back on us!

First things first, I loved the atmosphere here. Having it set in New Orleans was amazing and gave it that gothic feel. Some of the scenes here gave me chills and has me thinking twice about heading back to New Orleans. Please be aware of the trigger warnings I put at the end of my re
Amy
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“I’m drawn to you in ways I can’t explain.”

“This man doesn’t merely kiss and call it a day. No, he kisses like it’s his damn job. Like kissing me is the only thing in the world he can think about. As if he’s wanted to kiss me for decades.”

Shadows is a haunting and intriguing paranormal romance that will have leave you on the edge of your seat right until the very end…

Shadows is unlike anything I’ve read from author Kristen Proby before. From the moment I dove
Shari
Courtney
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shadows is Kristen Proby's first attempt at paranormal romance/suspense and I am quite surprised. This definitely reads completely different than any of Kristen contemporary romance books and I think that was the biggest surprise. I applaud Kristen for stepping outside of her normal genre but I have to praise her for truly outdoing herself.

Kristen does a superb job of the world building in this mystical city with all the musings of witches, warlocks and the like. The descriptions and
Manoela
3 stars

I always liked this author's novels, and I really liked the book that had her paranormal touch, so when I saw this new series I knew I was going to read this book. And after finishing his reading I have to say that it is difficult to review him because I liked some things, not others.

What I liked: The paranormal plot was well written and developed and I was intrigued by the story. I also enjoyed see again Mallory, Sophia. I liked the relationship between the three sisters and
Gi's Spot Reviews
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, auto-read-author

5 ‘Soul Recognition’ Stars

Ohhhh, myyyy, gooooddddd!!! Kristen Proby has the most exciting and goosebump inspiring of reads within SHADOWS! KP’s very first full on PNR – though one of my fav of hers, Easy Magic, already had plenty of supernatural going on – is a mind gripping, heart palpitating paranormal masterpiece!

This is the first of a brand new series focused on three witch sisters and this Practical Magic hardcore fan is hooked! The chill inducing take on the serial killer thriller, the suspense, the sisterhood, and thttps://www.instagram.com/p/B4LnhXDAnmR/
* A review copy was provided by the author *

~ 5 Out Of This World Stars ~

Kristen Proby has outdone herself with Shadows!! This book was beyond anything I could’ve imagined. It is so unlike anything I have ever read before or from Kristen Proby.

I am not a huge paranormal fan. I have read a few other paranormal stories, but they usually aren’t for me. But knowing one of my all time favorite authors was venturing out into something new, I just knew I had to give it a try. I/>
~ ...more
Kimberly Garner
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Holy suspense! Wow this book gripped me by the throat and would not let go. I devoured this book in 1 sitting, and I am sorry it's over. The premise is amazing, and setting in New Orleans, pure genius. I loved everything about this book, from the characters to the setting to the plot line. The 3 sisters each with their own gifts(or curses) coming together to back each other was awesome.
The by play between all the characters was great, I don't feel the author scrimped on any development. I
Nerdy Dirty & Flirty
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
description
Ummmm, wow! It’s two thirty in the morning and I’m at a loss for words, but I need to talk to someone about this book right now! This story was incredible and I didn’t want it to end. The suspense was exhilarating and intense, giving an overall ominous feel. I loved that we never really knew what was coming next. There were many times throughout the story that things got super creepy. I’m not sure I would say that I was scared but there was definitely some anxiety and moments of uncertainty for
Susan (susayq ~)
Well, that was super dark and creepy. A very different type of story from Kristen Proby. The romance between Cash and Brielle kind of took a back seat to the suspense. But I still enjoyed it and am anxiously awaiting the next book ; especially after that ending!
The Smutbrarians
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Feels 5
Steam 2
Storyline 5
Overall Rating 5
Kindle eArc provided by Author
Reviewed by Stephanie

I love when an author steps outside of their normal genre and gives us something new and unexpected. We all know Kristen Proby can write a great romance but after Shadows we also now know she can write absolutely amazing paranormal. This book was chocked full of so many great elements. From the suspense that had me at all loss of what was coming next, to the ghost
Kayla Ritenour (In Between The pages)
I can't believe I'm already done with this one. That like went super quick haha. And such a craptastic and even eerie at times kinda suspenseful romance haha. But I mean that in the best way possible haha

But this book was an interesting one. It's so dark compared to Kristen's other books. But I loved that step she took away from her norm. And I'm always a fan for a good paranormal book. Especially one set in New Orleans. I grew up not far from St. Augustine, and now live near Savanaa
Michelle Hatton
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW..... I just couldn’t put this book down and now I’m disappointed I’ve finished it.

I don’t usually read paranormal but when given the opportunity to read a copy of this book, how could I miss the chance to read something new and different from one of my favourite authors. This book gripped me from beginning to end and definitely a good choice when starting on this genre.

This was another great hit from Kristen Proby and I can’t wait to read more about the sisters, each one is diff
Melissa DeBerry
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kristen-proby
I wasn't too sure about how i would feel about this book when Kristen first announced it. I don't usually like paranormal stories. BUT...with that being said, THIS IS A PHENOMENAL BOOK!! I love Brielle and Cash!! This book, while having some paranormal activity, isn't all about the voodoo, witches and dark magic! There is an excellent storyline, plenty of romance and a great and enticing ending!! I can't wait for Millie and Daphne's books!! Another excellent and wonderful book!!! Kristen has ano ...more
Kari
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Incredibly Chilling, goose bump raising, and heart racing!

I will be the first to admit that I am a wimp. I don’t do scary movies or a lot of paranormal activity. This novel however was amazing! I couldn’t put it down. It’s going to haunt my thoughts for quite some time...in a good way of course. It kept me on the edge of my seat and I couldn’t stop reading. It did set my anxiety off quite a bit so I blame Kristen for that. I am torn between not wanting to ever think about this story again and w
Ang -PNR Book Lover Reviews
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was amazing! I loved it so much, everything about it. From the creepy gothic feel, the witches, spells, covens, the suspense mystery. Romance, old and new loves, character development and an amazing plot. I was hooked from the beginning and I can not wait for more.
Danielle
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
First of all, I am glad this is going to be a series. This book was so well written and believable.

I enjoyed how well Cash and Brielle’s story was woven into the main story, but neither overpowered the other. I don’t want to give too much away, but the detailing was amazingly well done.

I cannot wait for the second book to come out!!
Sofia Lazaridou
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shadows is the first book in the Bayou Magic series by Kristen Proby. Unlike the rest of KP's books, this one is a paranormal novel with some suspense. Of course, the romance is also here, but not so much on the focus. Some readers might be turned off from the instant spark between Brielle and Cash, but I didn't mind and there was even mention of past lives, so I was in for the ride. The blurb mentions the name Cassian Winslow which is the hero of the novel, but everyone calls him Cash, so I am ...more
Romance Schmomance (Malia)
Holy moly, what did I just read?! If you're like me and essentially afraid of everything, DO. NOT. READ. THIS. AT. NIGHT!
I have to say, when an author decides to write in a different genre and absolute nails it, you can't help but just rave about it. Kristen Proby absolutely killed it with her first paranormal. And YES, it is 100% a paranormal and I was just not prepared for it.

The romance lover in me will always beg for more, it was a little low in Shadows , but it was completely fitting. And to be honest, if Kristen decided teverything, DO.
Sandra Shipman ~ Two Book Pushers
Shadows is the first book in the Bayou Magic series by the very-talented, Kristen Proby. I love me some Proby books! This is her first paranormal book and she did a fabulous job.if you read her Boudreaux series then you will be in for an extra treat since there are some cameos. She touched on some paranormal with Easy Magic which was a fun treat so I was excited she was delving into it even more. I don’t want to spoil anything since it has added suspense!

Three sisters. One tourist. One killer i
Ruthie Taylor
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
~~I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads ~~

Oh what a great start to a new series by the talented Kristen Proby. I have always thought her books to be magical, but this time she has given us full on magic! Possibly even better, we have a clear indication of who will feature in future installments of this pnr series. It felt like Proby was having fun with this book, and I loved the vibe throughout the book.

As a first book, we get world building, but just enough to be
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Gypsy King (Tin Gypsy, #1)
  • Baking Me Crazy (Donner Bakery, #1)
  • Infatuation (Underground Kings #4)
  • Tacker (Arizona Vengeance, #5)
  • Code Name: Sentinel (Jameson Force Security, #2)
  • Kiss Me Not (Kiss Me, #1)
  • Sexy Dare (Sexy #1)
  • Dangerous Temptations
  • If You Say So (KPD Motorcycle Patrol #6)
  • Forever My Saint (All The Pretty Things Trilogy, #3)
  • Sticking to the Script (Cipher Office #2)
  • Off-Limits (Sons of the Underground #1)
  • Perfect Strangers
  • Code of Conduct (Cipher Security, #1)
  • As Long As I Have You (London Sullivans 1)
  • Delicate Promises (Southern Bride, #2)
  • Team Player 2: A Sports Anthology
  • Fast Lane
Kristen was born and raised in a small resort town in her beloved Montana. In her mid-twenties, she decided to stretch her wings and move to the Pacific Northwest, where she made her home for more than a dozen years.

During that time, Kristen wrote many romance novels and joined organizations such as RWA and other small writing groups. She spent countless hours in workshops, and more mornings than