Start by marking “A Book” as Want to Read:
A Book

A Book

By Desi Arnaz. The outspoken memoirs of "Ricky Ricardo" -- the man who loved Lucy.
Published 1976 by William Morrow and Company Inc

Start your review of A Book
maggieandteddy
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this years ago. I bought my paperback copy at a bookstore with my mom and sisters. (Way before ebooks!)
THEN, Desi Arnaz, autographed my book! Yes, I'm bragging! Right there in that bookstore. His beautiful black hair was all silver, he looked a little older, but he was SO nice! I froze up and barely said 2-3 words. (fangirl). He's my favorite famous person that I've ever met. AND I love "I Love Lucy". I've watched every episode many times over.
This book was written like a memoir, many
Jane
Apr 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been a Desi Arnaz/Lucille Ball/I Love Lucy fan since I was young and I always wanted to read Desi's book. I always saw that it was out of print or unavailable so I finally found it online and eagerly bought it - it did not disappoint. I loved how it was written, in his own style and his own words. It was funny, honest, sad, and educational all at once - very genuine and very honest. My only complaint is that it didn't cover more of his later life. But I guess that's what "Another Book" was ...more
Donna
Jul 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I normally do not like the early part of anyone’s life. Not so with Desi! His life was fascinating. His charm, luck, wit, brains accomplished so much. The deals he made, how he took advantage of any situation and always came out on top! He seemed to be polite and courteous and always respectful to top brass and always honest. The respect was returned.

He was honest about the philandering…which as he said was accepted in Cuba. He did not go into other relationships in this book. Nor was it needed,
Ronald Wise
Jul 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Desi's story of childhood and youth were very interesting, as my previous knowledge of him was all from his days with I Love Lucy and later. I also found interesting the cutting-edge role he played in the development of television recording technology, as well as the number of television series started by Desilu Productions. He doesn't mince words when describing his personal memories, and at times seemed to be wanting to shock his readers. His take on the Cuban situation was refreshingly ...more
02Jazlyn S.
Jan 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Men and Women of the Jury I find that “A Book” by Desi Arnaz is a detailed biography of the hard life of a rising star about Desiderio Alberto Arnaz y de Acha and “Ricky Ricardo” this bio was meant for young adults or just anybody who really love Mr. Arnaz he speaks in his own voice and sometimes his native language about the life he led as a young boy in Havana Cuba to the revolution that broke out that sent him and his father to the United states to become broken tile salesman, taxi cab ...more
Marianne
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This actually turned out to be an extremely entertaining and breezy read and I enjoyed it very much. I read Lucille Ball's memoirs a few years ago, and was intrigued by Lucie Arnaz's occasional footnotes advising readers to "read my father's book for his perspective on this." In fact, Desi's book was much more sympathetic, and he barely said a cross word about Lucille. It was clear that he truly loved and admired her and was heartbroken over the demise of their marriage. THAT, however, covers ...more
Msgold
Mar 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book will be enjoyed by any fan of the I Love Lucy Show.The autobiography tells the fascinating story of American television's first Cuban-American star, Desi Arnaz. He offers his ideas and observations on the events he experienced in his life.

Desi talks about leaving Santiago de Cuba, moving to Miami, graduating high school there, doing different jobs, gaining success as a Cuban band leader, an actor in movies and television, his marriage to Lucille Ball, and life after the TV show.

Kayla
Oct 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This autobiography is awesome. Desi's voice is clear in the narration, you feel as if you're actually listening to him tell his life story. Granted, you probably have to be a fan of his, or of "I Love Lucy" to actually read this book; but I guarantee that this is a very entertaining autobiography (if you're into biographies like I am). I've read this book probably 5 times.
Jazlyn
Aug 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Don
Jun 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
This is an interesting read that gives Desi's side of the story in the breakup of his marriage with Lucille ("Lucy") Ball, and in the process of doing so he provides a first hand knowledge of the pioneering work done in television in the 50's, of which, it turns out, he was cast as a major player in acting as a mediary between different key players and achieving notoriety through it. I couldn't stop turning the pages, which were never dull, and marveling at how a nice guy could indeed finish ...more
megan
Mar 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: autobiography
Back-Story: I read it for the same reason everyone reads an autobiography. I was curious. I've always been a fan of "I Love Lucy" and I've always been more curious about who Desi Arnaz was. I decided I wanted to read both of his and Lucille Ball's biographies and decided to read his first because he's always interested me more.

I personally was able to rent this through Open Library but you do need Adobe Digital Editions in order to read it if you choose that method. The Open Library book was a
David
Want to know what is the main problem with autobiographies? Most people who write autobiographies were famous for doing something other than writing. As a result, they can make some of the most interesting or amusing stories seem as dry as dust. (A noteworthy exception to this is Ed McMahon's memoir of The Tonight Show. You must read it!) Desi Arnaz had many talents and he was teamed with one of the most gifted comediennes of all time, Lucille Ball. But he was no writer and he fails to do ...more
Carol
Oct 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very heartfelt bio of Desi Arnaz. Easy to read and entertaining. Lots of Desi's history, going back to his days in Cuba and his night club performances in New York.

Reading this book is like listening to your grandfather tell the story of his life. He does not claim to know how to write, so he does have a ghost-writer, but the result is a success.

If you love Lucy, too, you should read this. He has only the nicest things to say about Lucille Ball. It's very touching, revealing and honest.
Deborah Skillman
Jan 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this after reading Love Lucy, because I thought it would be interesting to experience the points of view of both.

It was an enjoyable and quick read written in a conversational style. Desi and Luci were quite the power couple combining creativity and business acumen backed by a strong work ethic. One realizes that Desi was a great student of experience, admitting that he learned equally from his failures and his successes. He owns his life, warts and all.

Monica
Mar 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Desi Arnaz's autobiography is brilliant! His story of how he grew up with money and then came to America because of the Cuban Revolution and worked his way up is fascinating. I found myself laughing at some of the ridiculous things he did to move forward. He was a very smart man. I always knew I loved Lucy but I love Desi, too.
Brianna
Sep 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book almost as much as I loved Lucy's novel! It was so great to learn so much about his life before being famous. It was awesome learning about the evolution of I Love Lucy and hearing about all the other shows he directed and his relationship with Lucy. The last line really got me, "I Love Lucy was never just a title."
Anna
Aug 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I asked for this as a Christmas present in 4th grade and subsequently learned the words Syphilis and cunt! Now, for the review: it is a great book! Affirmed my love for Desi and really gets behind the scenes of the show, his marriage, and old Hollywood! Definitely an interesting read!
Nate
Aug 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Even though he tried to make himself sound reasonable and justified in his actions, he still came off as a (view spoiler). Lucy's memoir was more interesting and relatable. His just sounded like a list of what shows he produced, with few anecdotes about them.
Graceann
Nov 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Memoir Fans
Shelves: memoir
Desi loved Lucy. He was not a faithful husband, and could not understand why she couldn't adapt to that, but he did love her. This story of his youth in Cuba, his climb through the ranks and his great love affair with Lucille Ball is well written, witty and thought provoking.
Sandollar3
Mar 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Desi tells his autobiography in this book, starting with his birth in Cuba, their escape, and his tumultous marriage to Lucille Ball and the creation of "I Love Lucy", and well as many other successful TV shows.
James Cooper
May 02, 2014 rated it liked it
So glad the book is over. Sorry to read how after a 20 year marriage they were divorced but could see why. Last 50 pages felt like they could be summed up in the following way: We were making out company, one of the biggest of the time in TV and were kept busy.
TheRLPL Rice Lake Public Library
Patron Review:
A favorite- Excellent biography of an overworked, overambitious entertainer and movie mogul.
Stacey R
Interesting because he was a big part of my childhood popular culture, and now my 10 year old loves I Love Lucy. Found out a lot of interesting tidbits about his life.
Lacey Powell
Sep 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed every minute of reading this book! It was very interesting to see things from Desi's perspective.
Jake Stone
This is going to sound strange considering the author but I have read better Desi Arnaz biography's. It seemed a bit on the disjointed side.
Winter Sophia Rose
A Fantastic & Revealing Read! Loved It!
Chris
Jun 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Five stars might be a tad rounded up, but I love "I Love Lucy," and Desi's story adds history and background to something already so special. Plus, it really was just a very interesting book.
Krystelle
Mar 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my all-time favorite books. So genuine. So brutally honest. So much passion. A great autobiography of the man behind the red-head.
pati
Desi Arnaz was an incredible businessman! This is a riches-to-rags-to-riches story with a bit of juicy Hollywood thrown in for good measure.
Sherri Rabinowitz
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I found this treasure in a box of books I was unpacking. I got it as soon as the paperback edition came out. I remember I loved it, but I haven't read it in years. I take very good care of my books, the pages have yellowed but it is in very good condition.

I read it again, this is pure Desi. All his charm, you can hear his voice as you read it. It's a wonderful book. Very honest, funny and sad. It truly touches the heart and it ended on a loving note. He always loved Lucy till the day he died.

• Love, Lucy
  • Ruined
  • To Selena, With Love
  • Dead People Suck: A Guide for Survivors of the Newly Departed
  • Sh*tty Mom: The Parenting Guide for the Rest of Us
  • A Love Letter Life: Pursue Creatively. Date Intentionally. Love Faithfully.
  • Not Without My Daughter
Desi Arnaz was a Cuban-American musician, actor and television producer. He gained international renown for leading a Latino music band, the Desi Arnaz Orchestra. But arguably, he is best known for his role as Ricky Ricardo on the classic American TV series I Love Lucy, starring opposite his real-life wife, Lucille Ball.