Start by marking “7 Days at the Hot Corner” as Want to Read:
7 Days at the Hot Corner

7 Days at the Hot Corner

3.47  ·  Rating details ·  253 Ratings  ·  54 Reviews
In baseball, fielding your position at third base is tricky—that's why third is called "the hot corner." You have to be aware that anything can happen at any time.

This should be the best year of Scott's life: It's his last season of varsity ball, his team is about to go to the city championship, and a pro career is on the line. Instead, everything he always counted on come
Published February 27th 2007 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about 7 Days at the Hot Corner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 7 Days at the Hot Corner

Morgan Brough
Oct 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
I thought it was a different type of book to read. Sports books are what I like to read and this was one of them, but I didn't think I would have liked a novel.
A guy named Scott is a varsity baseball player that need to get a test done for his baseball game. He has to go through various days to get something he needs for the game. It worries him and he needs to help his friends.
Jul 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: high schoolers, baseball fans, LGBT and friends of LGBT, Terry Trueman fans
Recommended to Ms.Virgin by: KCSD summer reading
This book was a quick read and dealt with serious topics that should be discussed more often. At times it was hard for me to like the main character because of his cliched reaction to his friend's news. But he does redeem himself by the end of the story.
Jul 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: teen
Baseball is Scott's life. He plays third base, the hot corner, and loves it. Baseball has always been his refuge.

Then his best friend tells him he's gay. And Scott is turned upside down. He's worried what everyone will think of him, being friends with Travis. And he worries he has HIV, since Travis bled all over him six months prior.

Scott heads to a clinic to get tested, his entire future in doubt. He's afraid everyone will know and think he's gay too.

He has to wait seven days for the test res
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2008
Scott finds out that his best friend is gay, gets an AIDs test (touched his friend’s bloody nose) and spends the next 7 days figuring out his life, his friendship, his parents, his future and the true importance of baseball in the grand scheme of things.
Oct 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Personally I enjoyed reading 7 Days at the Hot Corner very much. I decided to read the novel because it was about baseball. I didn’t know it was going to teach me a lot of life lessons too. I started enjoying the book right away because I can relate to the main character. Scott and I both share an extreme love for the game of baseball. We both have divorced parents as well. I got interested in the book at the beginning because it explained Scott in the hospital getting tested for HIV. He had 7 d ...more
Richie Partington
Jul 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
28 November 2006 7 DAYS AT THE HOT CORNER by Terry Trueman, Harper Tempest, February 2007, ISBN: 0-06-057494-1; Libr. ISBN: 0-06-057495-X

Imagine if you were suddenly witness to an accident, and the victim was potentially going to bleed to death, and you didn't have rubber gloves. Would you be willing to get that person's blood on your hands in order to save his or her life, or would your reaction be to stand helplessly by, for fear that you might contract AIDS from all that blood?

Do you have a p
Zach T
Jan 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
How would you react if your life took a big curve? In this past quarter I read Seven days at the Hot Corner by Terry Trueman. This book describes a relationship between two really close friends drifting apart. Scott Lattimore is the main character in the novel and his best friend is Travis. Travis and Scott have been friends since they were very young. They are both seniors at Thompson High School.

Seven days at the Hot Corner was a very great book and I found myself not wanting to put the book
Billy Huynh
Feb 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Since reading "Stuck in Neutral," I was eager to read more of Trueman's work. This was the next available one and although the story and the subject matter was completely different than that of the previously mentioned, this one was a surprisingly good read to me because it contained two subjects that I can relate to: Baseball and homosexuality.
I never played on a team in high school like the main character, Scott, but it was my favorite sport, both to play and to watch. I am also gay, so when
Mar 04, 2012 rated it it was ok
Fifty pages into the hot corner I wanted to turn around, head back home and forget the whole venture. Yet, my mission preserves even through the dull and predictable. The Hot Corner starts off in a public health building, our protagonist is getting an HIV test. And within those first few pages we hit both of the major problems with this book.

The first issue is the main character Scott. Never did I invest in him, not that all one of his dimensions gave me much to invest in. Not only is he simplis
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Me for

"The hot corner." In baseball, it's third base. So named because of the fact that you always have to be ready for anything, and no one knows it better than eighteen-year-old Scott Latimer.

Scott is the starting third baseman on Thompson High School's varsity baseball team. The Spokane All-City High School Tournament is coming up in a matter of days, so of course Scott is worried about how he'll handle himself on "the hot corner."

The only problem is that, as li
Nov 04, 2016 added it
Book Report
Dylan Kinkade

9 out of 10 i will read it again because the book talk about baseball and it talks about weddings how he got married and how he played baseball on the plates he played on all of them and they the he loved to play baseball every day if they could but they didn't because they had to do there stuff like one dude on the baseball team and some people got married and the dude that was on third base his name is scott they called the base the hot corner because they always got p
Zach South
Jan 04, 2016 rated it liked it
For my holiday reading I choose to read 7 days at the hot corner by Terry Trueman. This book is about a boy named Scott who is in his last year of varsity baseball and dealing with a rough patch of friendship. In this book Scott is at batting practice with his friend and his friend starts to bleed so Scott helps stop the bleeding and thinks nothing about the incident. The next week though he finds out that his friend is homosexual which makes Scott freak out because of where he lives people thin ...more
May 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book was probably one of the worst books i've ever read. I didn't like this book because it was all about baseball. Also in the beginning of the book for like the first 30 to 40 pages he was only talking about him going to the clinic and being at the clinic to see if he has aids. The one thing i did like about it was that you have to wait and see the outcome of what happened to the main character Adam. In order to do that you had to read the whole book to find that out, so the book grabs yo ...more
Mar 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all my guys
Recommended to Claudia by: Sequoyah list!
Shelves: sequoyah-2010
Scott is a baseball player -- third base; he plays the hot corner. These 7 days, tho, are about more than baseball. He starts the week by going to a clinic to be tested for AIDS. He tries to keep his worries from his divorced parents, and his best friend, Travis. Scott uses baseball as the metaphor through which he sees everything in his life. This fast moving novel lets us really get to know Scott -- the sweet kid, the disloyal friend, the confused son, the star baseball player. Trueman has cre ...more
Karen Ball
Feb 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Can't wait to recommend this to my 8th graders. This is the story of Scott Latimer, Thompson's High's varsity third baseman (third base being the "hot corner" of the title). His best friend since grade school has just been thrown out of his house, and has come with live with him and his parents. The reason he was kicked out? He's gay. He's not your average "flaming" stereotype -- he's a nice kid, good friend, sort of shy...and most people never thought anything more than that. The 7 days of the ...more
Johnny S
Jan 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Agatha Donkar
Aug 30, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, young-adult, 2007
I picked this up because it was getting pretty good critical reviews and because it was about baseball! And teenagers coming out! And the intersection of the two! Which should have been right up my alley, but the fact is: it was pretty rotten. Not only was the narrator a completely unsympathetic jerk to his gay best friend -- who'd been kicked out of his own house for coming out to his parents -- and his lack of sympathy wasn't even presented in an endearing way, but all the characters were thin ...more
Apr 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Scott is freaking out because he thinks he may have contracted AIDS. He goes for the HIV test and as he awaits the results he is spending 7 days in the proverbial "hot corner"--a baseball term for third base. Scott thinks he could possibly have contracted AIDS from his gay friend Travis. As Scott works through his suppositions, fears, assumptions, and prejudices he gets a better understanding of what Travis' life must be like. This is a great YA book for examining these issues in a realistic and ...more
Mar 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The writing of this book can be a little confusing at times, especially the last regular chapter. Although I was sure of the results from the test, I had to re-read the paragraph four or five times until I was sure that's what was being said. The concept of the book is the exceptional part, I'm not familiar with any other YA book about the effects of someone coming out on one of the friends. Add that and the baseball elements to the story I would think this an excellent book to advocate to schoo ...more
Jacob Westrick
Oct 06, 2011 rated it liked it
This book was decent to me. I liked how Scott was able to play well in the playoffs regardless of the fact that he just got an HIV test to see if he had AIDS. With all the stress in his life, he still managed to do what he needed to do in school and for his baseball team. This was the toughest week of his entire week. All the hard word paid off in the end because in the mail he received a letter from the Minnesota Twins stating that he was drafted in the Major League Baseball Draft by the Twins.
Nov 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: baseball players
Recommended to Oscar by: school librerien
this book is great if your really into baseball. the only reason why i really read it was beacause i can really connect to the protaganist. i actually like this book beacuse it got me 30 buffilo wings. i was tellin my cuzion about the book ...but she didn't believe me,thats how crazy the book is. so i told her if i bring her the book the next day she has to make me buffolo wings(she makes the best buffolo wings) sure enogh the next day i was knocking on her door rubbing the book in her face. no ...more
Christian Gramuglia
Jun 10, 2014 rated it liked it
This book was not a very good book it was really boring the first 30 pages was about the kid being at a clinic to see if he had aids. If you like baseball though you will probably like this book. Terry Trueman uses literary devices to make the book a lot better. Adam the main character might be able to make the pro's but a lot starts falling down on him. I really only suggest this book to baseball lovers.
Mick Schroder
Oct 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It's about a boy that is a teen and he is going through a hard time. He find out a secret about his friend that he was best friends with for a long time. He get in a fight with him and he tries to act normal but everything he says makes it worse.
I liked how exciting it is and how it goes up and down with it is slow but a page later there is a new problem. I liked everything about my book.
Oct 31, 2009 rated it really liked it
Trueman can tell a powerful story in a short amount of pages, which is great for his young readers who need to read these types of stories. For Scott, being in the "hot corner" means two things: playing third base on a winning high school baseball team (possibly to play pro) as well as waiting seven days for the results of his HIV test.

What got him to that place is the story of relationships and life. Extremely simple for such a heavy topic, but well done.
Oct 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I think so far that this book is great. It is the tail of one boy who finds out his bestfriend is gay. When they go to their home town batting cage, his friend gets hit and his blood gets all over the main characters hands. The main character has to get a H.I.V/A.I.D.S test to see if he can continue playing baseball, but with the big tournement coming up, he is starting to doubt that he will be able to play
Sep 28, 2011 rated it liked it
Ok, this book was entertaining to read on the plane ride, but the story really isn't that creative, the narrator is really ... perky? and the topic wasn't really discussed that deeply. Even the baseball metaphor is a little old. It's something a kid would write on a college essay, you know? it touched on divorce and a couple other human issues, but there was no depth.
Mrs. Woods is getting to me.
Anyway, I still enjoyed it. A quick read that got me in the mood to read more books.
Rosemary Truitt
Sep 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
I cannot rate any Terry Trueman YA book less than 5 stars. Although not as unique a perspective as Trueman created with the boy from "stuck in neutral", this book nevertheless offers fascinating insights into the worries, joys, mind, and character of a very insightful and wise 18-year old. Excellent read.
Joseph Williams
Dec 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is about a high school kid named Scott who plays baseball and finds out his best friend is gay. He went to go take a HIV test before his baseball game so his mind could be clear, but later that day his best friend reveals he is gay. What problems will occur after this well i guess you will have to read it to find out.
This was short--took me about 45 minutes to read, and I'm a slow reader. I liked it well enough, but I thought it was pretty didactic. As in: "When you discover that a friend of yours is gay, you might freak out and be unsupportive, and be angry with yourself for your reaction. A better reaction would be..." It's not a bad lesson by any means, but I'd rather have a story than a lesson.
Nov 11, 2008 rated it liked it
Scott, a senior, has just found out that his best friend, Travis, is homosexual. This book is about the difficulty Scott has accepting this and his worry that because he has touched Travis's blood, he might have AIDS. Trueman uses a correlation with baseball, Scott's favorite sport, to how he feels while accepting this new aspect of his best friend.
  • Converting Kate
  • Mistik Lake
  • Notes on a Near-Life Experience
  • Breathing Underwater
  • Grief Girl: My True Story
  • Dumped by Popular Demand (The Social Experiments of Dorie Dilts, #1)
  • Touching Snow

Young Adult Deals

• The Silent Shield (Kingfountain #5)
  • Orphan Train Girl
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
  • Alone
    $17.99 $2.99
  • Gateway to Fourline (The Fourline Trilogy, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Scourge of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #3)
  • Period 8
    $6.74 $0.99
  • The Blight of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Forsaken Throne (Kingfountain #6)
  • How Dare the Sun Rise: Memoirs of a War Child
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Caraval (Caraval, #1)
  • Rebel Genius
    $6.38 $2.99
  • Dreamology
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Hour (Midnighters, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Insignia (Insignia, #1)
  • Blood Rose Rebellion
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Unrivaled (Beautiful Idols #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Flamecaster (Shattered Realms, #1)
    $4.09 $1.99
  • The Wretched of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • The Cabin
  • The Most Dangerous Place on Earth
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Waking Land (The Waking Land, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Reluctant Queen (The Queens of Renthia #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • A Study in Charlotte (Charlotte Holmes, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • When You Reach Me
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00