Start by marking “Scourge of the Silver Wings (Umbrakin, #2)” as Want to Read:
Scourge of the Silver Wings (Umbrakin, #2)

Scourge of the Silver Wings

(Umbrakin #2)

Strife in an underwater trading post - the microcosm of a cosmic war, battle lines drawn - when a stranger sails to town...Peal is in no mood for wars, cosmic or not. He seeks only rest after a harrowing journey, time to grieve for lost friends, and to come to terms with a terrible burden placed upon him. He is the custodian of a Chaotic weapon of world-sundering power... ...more
Published August 14th 2019 by Independently Published

Win a Copy of This Book

• Scourge of the Silver Wings by Juho Pohjalainen
    Scourge of the Silver Wings (Umbrakin, #2)
    Release date: Aug 11, 2019
    I have a few extra printed copies of Scourge of the Silver Wings, a true underdog fantasy story, lying around. Do you want one? You can read it at nig ...more

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 3 copies available, 2514 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Oct 13 - Nov 12, 2019

Countries available: U.S. and Canada

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Scourge of the Silver Wings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scourge of the Silver Wings

Start your review of Scourge of the Silver Wings (Umbrakin, #2)
    Tero
    Aug 14, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Well, here it is, another volume of Peal's adventures, with Pohjalainen playing to his strengths. Similar to the first book, the tone is casual and effortless, and makes for a really fun read. While the books are more on the serious side rather than comedy, most of the time there's a tinge of humor and overall lightheartedness mixed in - two novels in, this is something that's starting to define the series and certainly for the positive.

As for the book at hand, it's taking a whole ne
    Koenigsreich
    Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Peal is not human, but his humanity is plain to see.

This book, being the sequel umbrakin book to "The Straggler's Mask", I had thought to follow up with the adventure of Peal in a straightforward manner. I was happily taken for a ride instead.

The novel follows Peal through various twists and turns, seemingly inconsistent at times, and wonderfully completes the second entry in his apparent saga. The growth of the main character is easiest to understand by reading between t
    Gaspard
    Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    As others have mentioned in their reviews, I was a beta reader for this book as well as the first one.

I had been acustomed to Peal and the strange universe he lives in with Straggler's Mask, and it would be an understatement to say that I eagerly waited for more. Juho Pohjalainen is obviously a very talented and experienced author, as evidenced by his very pleasant writing style, and a very solid grasp on storytelling.
    As others have pointed out, the book has a less spectacular
    Shaun
    Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
    A respectable novel, using the tropes of fantasy high and low to assemble a serviceable story of a former underdog turned hero, only to find himself once again over his head as immortal forces get involved in a very mortal story. As a sequel to The Straggler's Mask it feels less like a continuation of Peal's heroic journey, and more like a deeper delve into the forces of Chaos and Law that rule over Juho's universe. The exposition and themes can be heavy-handed at times, but the majority of criticis ...more
    Misfire
    Once again, beta reader here, full disclosure, yadda yadda. The only thing is that this time, there was quite a space of time in between when I read it and now, so until I fully re-read I can't be as specific as last time. The general gist of it will still be the same, though, as I'm told edits/changes weren't major between drafts. Anyway, without further ado:

I didn't enjoy this as much as the first one. It has a great setting, and the author's strength for characters remains the lar
    Lorenzo
    Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Here we go with another interesting story by Juho Pohjalainen, following the events of "The Straggler's Mask".
    I had the luck to be drafted for checking out this book while it was made, so I know a bit of the ins and out of the entire book: and let me say it right from the beginning, this book is a new experience altogether for who has read the first one.
    While the other book was quite concentrated on Peal's travels and his growth from inexperienced nobody into a tricky warrior of his
    Screaming Frog
    Another work in which Juho goes another step forward to reaching the full potential of the Young Mozart he is.

However, Juho must learn to stop teasing the reader with small details about something that sounds interesting without ever extrapolating. Juho’s writing style can sometimes resemble more a slut from Tinder who makes you think she’s DTF only to cancel at the last second, rather than, say, a Young Terry Pratchett.

Juho is Finnish and it shows through the reservations he has fr
    Mai
    Aug 21, 2019
    Wally
    rated it it was ok
    Oct 02, 2019
    Juho Pohjalainen
    Aug 13, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
    Emma
    Thomas Davis
    Amanda Fuscone
    Zach Yancey
    I've never not written.

Some of my earliest memories involve telling tales: I began writing them down when I was four... or maybe when I was five, when I stopped to just mashing the buttons down to make a mess. They weren't very good stories, of course - I'm not entirely sure if even the ones I write as an adult are - but still, I just had to get them out there.

Even now, "ha

Umbrakin (2 books)
    • The Straggler's Mask (Umbrakin #1)