Start by marking “The Extraordinary Healing Power of Ordinary Things: Fourteen Natural Steps to Health and Happiness” as Want to Read:

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  84 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Every day modern medicine announces the arrival of yet another “wonder drug” or “miracle procedure” to a world increasingly wary of expensive high-tech cures. Drugs, transplants, and surgery don’t work for 90 percent of our aches and pains and, while we are grateful for life-saving developments, we know that most come with risks that we ignore at our peril.

Long hailed as o
Published June 5th 2007 by Harmony (first published 2006)

Be the first to ask a question about The Extraordinary Healing Power of Ordinary Things

Carolyn
May 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Amy
Mar 03, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mind-body
I enjoyed this book well enough for a while, but I'll admit I only made it halfway through. I was hoping for a more in-depth, scientific read and this was pretty superficial and anecdotal. The discussions/arguments in each chapter were also fairly self-contradictory (e.g. "Optimism is good and makes you healthier! But a little pessimism is healthy too!" or "Taking risks is good for you! But don't take TOO many risks!") and left me wondering exactly what the point was.
Tes
Mar 17, 2008 rated it liked it
Louise Silk
Aug 06, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: self-help
As the title indicates, this book is about the healing power of 14 ordinary things: an optimistic attitude, forgetfulness, novelty, tears, dirt, music, risk, plants, bugs, unhappiness, nothing, voices, mystery and miracles. It was a little too basic and obvious for me but then again it's helpful to remember that there is healing power in any and everything if you are will to look for it.
Michelle Mj
Jan 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
The final chapter of this book made me cry..like a little bitch. Great book exploring slightly unconventional healing methods..took a lot from reading this. Will be seeking out the authors other material fo sho.
Diane
May 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
A look at what is most commonly overlooked in our lives. Things that hold the power to add great joy, comfort, or ease to our existence.

At first I thought this book was going to be a re-hash of the usual but it seemed to become more complex towards the end. Enjoyably so.
Stephen